Two days in Seoul

Two days in Seoul

I'd always dreamt of going to Seoul. The day, when my friend told me that she'd found an offer thanks to which you could visit South Korea's capital for exceptionally low price was one of the best in my life. Even the fact that the flight was the next day didn't seem to be a problem in such a significant moment.

Since I was 18 I had to live on my own and take care of myself, that's why the money was never an easy matter. I managed to save up a bit for a used camera, but a trip to Seoul was way beyond my reach.

I always try to look on the bright side of life and 5 a.m. departure meant only more time for sightseeing. The airports are never empty, but at that moment I felt like I was completely alone there. The slightly cleared up sky was a harbinger of the upcoming adventure that was waiting for me with arms wide open.

The panorama of Seoul was breathtaking. When I thought about my colleagues sitting in the classrooms and listening to the boring lectures, colleagues from the cafe I worked in, who were bustling around clients, the situation seemed even more extraordinary.

I arrived at the hotel without any problems, but I couldn't imagine spending there more time than it was absolutely necessary, so I left my belongings and set out for a walk with my camera. The air was delightfully warm, full of history, culture... Korea. I sat down in a lovely cafe and while sipping on my tea, which tasted like ambrosia, I was watching people passing by. Some of them were running somewhere being already late, some were staring at their toes, and some - just like me - were looking around and analyzing. I felt like a child in a toy store. I didn't know where I wanted to go, what to see, because I wanted to see everything. I didn't feel any weariness, full of positive energy I was visiting every place that the time allowed me to. Once again, I prayed that I could divide in two, but for the first time in my life "that other me" would have a great time too.

Utterly happy I was heading for my hotel. I was walking along the long alley surrounded by the tall trees and comparing the twilight I knew with the new Seoul one. At one point, I noticed a couple of sweet children cutely laughing out loud. I stopped to take a picture of them, though I was afraid it might not fit on the almost completely filled up memory card. I concentrated on the frame, forgetting that I was standing in the middle of a bustling route. Precisely at the moment I pushed the shutter button, I felt a from behind. Instinctively protecting the camera I pulled it to my belly and fell on my knees and left hand. The perpetrator, who apparently didn't see me, rushed to apologize.

In shock, I remained on all fours, staring blankly into the pavement. It took me a few seconds before it came down to me that someone was speaking. I managed to look in the face of the worried man, and what I saw didn't help me to recover myself at all.

The view of Siwon left me petrified. I was staring into his dark eyes, and I couldn't believe what was happening. Things like this happen in dreams, where you're not sure where you came from and the events don't have anything in common.

I stood up and answered to the question made in English, but with a strong Korean accent, that everything was fine and I was sorry that I had been standing in the middle of the road. My interlocutor waved his hand and continued with examination of my state, because apparently I was making a senseless impression.
 "Nothing's wrong. Believe me.", and following singer's sight that rested on my knees, I started to brush them off trying to show him that it was no big deal. I didn't really managed to do that, because I wiped my legs with a hand I had fallen on and I'd left bloody smudges on them. With a terror I lifted my hand to the level of my eyes and stated that if with my legs there wasn't anything wrong, that no longer applied to my hand. I must have fallen on a piece of glass or a sharp rock, because I had a long cut on my wrist that was abundantly bleeding.

Siwon immediately directed me to the nearest branch, took the bottle of water that was sticking out of my bag and started to pour it on a tissue, with which he was rinsing my wound. When it was relatively clean, he took his handkerchief and neatly tied it around my wrist.
"You have to go to the hospital", he said seriously looking at me, and when I'd opened my mouth to protest he silently shook his head like he knew what I was going to say.

 "I'll take you there. My car's not far away.", I had no arguments against it. We were silent all the way there, which by the way was really short. I was happy that it was already dark, because in spite of my bleeding hand, that I had to hold up, all the situation resulted with me smiling broadly.

 The doctors wasn't particularly rushing towards us - something I actually knew too well from my native country - but I'd never experienced before the presence of one person changing their attitude. Siwon took of his hat, which up until now was concealing his identity, and in the blink of an eye, a crew of health service workers appeared right beside us. Quickly and ably they stitched my hand and advised to rest well. I appreciated all the time I devoted to learn Korean. The insurance, or rather the lack of it, wasn't any problem.

Siwon was doing something on his phone. I laughed at the thought that he was probably updating his Twitter account, what surprised the doctor who was bandaging my hand. When we left the hospital I stopped on the edge of stairs to think for a moment what I should do next. Undoubtedly, I had to return to my hotel, but I had no idea where I was. Oppa looked at me with questioning face:
"Is there something wrong?"
"No, no... It's just... Do you happen to know where the nearest metro station is? And which line should I take?", I felt exceptionally miserable to ask such questions. I was used to taking care of myself and it was humiliating for me to ask such things.
"You got to be kidding.", laughed Siwon. "Do you really think I'll let you go back alone?"
"Erm... Yes?", I didn't get, what he meant.
"Where do you live?", he replied seriously. In a fascinating way he was going from a wide smile to full seriousness. I named the hotel and started to look for a piece of paper with address written on it, though the street name wasn't ringing any bell. Handing in the paper I noticed how nice his wrists were and I scolded myself in my head for paying attention to such things.
"Quite a ways from here.", mused Oppa.
"I'll return by myself, just tell me how...", I cried trying not to cause any more trouble.
"Stop it now.", he cut me off right at the beginning of my tirade. On all of the YouTube videos, variety shows, Siwon always seemed to be a real gentleman, and in reality... he was just like that. He was visibly preoccupied by my lot. I felt remorse that I had taken enough of his time with stupid cut. His firmness though didn't allow me to grumble anymore, so I got into his car obediently. Few moments later, we were driving through illuminated by street lamps Seoul. I started to feel the weariness after such a day, all the tension started to fade away. Siwon music and the car filled up with Super Junior hits. He surprised me one more time. So he really did listen to his songs, he did like it. When I started to recognize the whereabouts one of the biggest hits - "Oppa, oppa" played. Involuntarily I reached to turn the volume up - it was one of my favorite songs. When the lyrics "Neaga wonjo yeoja killeo" was heard, we both burst into laughter.

While singing we got there quite fast and suddenly I felt sad that it's the end of my adventure. Siwon opened the door for me before I could say a word of protest. I sincerely thanked him and looked into his eyes that alternatively looked brighter and darker. I thought at that moment that I'd love to analyze that every day and with absent-minded smile I headed for hotel door. I didn't manage to reach it though, because the world whirled and I... fainted.

I woke up the next day not knowing where I was. I stood up and looked around the room, where apparently I spent the night. I didn't feel any fear, only bemusement. I was getting some flashes from the events from the day before. I was in a spacious bedroom arranged in a rather minimalistic and "manly" style. The gray colors and simple forms were dominating. Everything was on its place and the room was cozy. I slept in the same clothes I wore when I arrived to Seoul, and that only reassured me in my calmness. In spite of huge headache, I budged to the door. The big clock was showing 7.30 a.m., which made my happy, because unable to estimate the time of the day, I was afraid I might have missed my flight. I gently pressed the door knob and pushed the door leading to the huge leaving room, which at first sight seemed completely empty. However, when I walked further I'd noticed that I wasn't there alone. Siwon was sleeping on the couch covered in a blanket. Trying to walk as quietly as I could I found the bathroom and smartened myself up taking special consideration to my knees, that looked awful. When I stepped out of the bathroom Oppa wasn't sleeping anymore.
"I woke you up? I'm sorry...", he just laughed and asked:
"Coffee?", it seemed a very reasonable proposition, so I nodded and headed for the kitchen island. The cup of hot coffee was already awaiting me, and when I took the first sip I could feel the warmth spreading all over my body.
"I created confusion, didn't I?", I asked calmly.
"Indeed", was the answer, but right after it a broad smile appeared on Siwon's face, that made me sure that he wasn't angry with me. "How do you feel?", that question requested some time to analyze my present state.
"Generally ok. My head hurts and I have to be careful with this hand. And... erm... I don't remember what happened after I got off your car..."
"That's for sure. You'd lost your consciousness. I put you back in my car and drove you here, because I didn't see any other possibility. I wouldn't let you stay alone in the hotel. I wasn't sure if you fainted because you hadn't eaten anything or because of something more grave.", he stopped and looked at me like he was waiting for answer.
"Erm... Hard to stay.", I laughed. "It was the first time something like that had happened to me. But speaking of the food... I feel really bad about asking you for anything more,  but do you have anything to eat?", the question was asked by both my mouth and stomach that made an awful sound. The host showed me a chair and started to make incredibly good-looking sandwiches. The breakfast was gone in a few seconds but we were talking for more than two hours. 

Siwon wanted to know something about a person he let into his house and put up in his own bed, which was perfectly understandable. Besides, I felt obliged to him, and I answered all the question. He'd heard the name in the hospital, but couldn't guess which country I was from, and he didn't want to ask the day before. I said where I studied, where I worked and what my interests were. I couldn't help myself and just had to ask how the everyday life of Super Junior looks like. By the way he responded I concluded it was his dream life. When the clock showed 11 o'clock, I decided that I couldn't outstay his welcome anymore and started to look for my bag.
"You have to go?", I felt some kind of disappointment in that question, or I was just putting ideas into my own head.
"Yes, I have a flight in four hours, and I have to get to the hotel before that to take my things."
"Alright, but I'll give you a ride. It's on my way."
"Oh my god! I hope you're not late anywhere because of me?"
"No, no. We have a training at 5 p.m. I have still plenty of time."

I looked for the last time at his apartment like I was trying to take a photo of it, so I could remember it anytime I'd have a bad day.

We arrived at the hotel way to soon. One more time with SuJu's songs playing out loud, but this time lively debating. When Oppa opened the door for me, I get off as calmly as I could trying to delay the moment of parting, which inseparably connected with the end of my great adventure. I looked at the hotel door, at my watch and suddenly, out of nowhere a need I'd never expected appeared.
"May I... hug you?", I asked perplexed. Siwon smiled and pulled me to him.
"Thank you. Thank you so much for everything. Maybe you'll visit me one day in my cafe?"
"For sure.", was the answer. I smiled realizing that I was seeing him for the last time in my life. I tried not to show how attached I got to the person I knew less than 24 hours.

The flight was quite short, even the Dubai change took less than hour, and way too fast I was again in my small apartment. I had an impression like I was there for all the time, not in Seoul. The adventures of the last  days seemed like a story from another dimension.

Over the next few days I could recognize myself. I always looked on the bright side of life, even though my life wasn't exactly the easiest one. But all of the sudden everything had lost its sense. This trip was meant to make my dreams come true, but the month had passed and my depression wasn't fading.

After my classes, like every day, I went to the cafe. I changed to my uniform and started getting client's orders. The day was pleasantly warm, but the wind was quite strong, and only a few people decided to sit outside. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed though, that there was a guest, that no other waitress was heading for. I straightened my apron and rushed in the direction of the guest that was reading a paper.
"What can I get you?", I asked trying to sound cheerful, though my face was showing clearly that I felt exactly the other way. I was never able to control it well.
"What about this coffee?", was the question made in Korean and at the same moment the falling paper showed a face of smiling Siwon. I covered my mouth with a hand and started to laugh out loud.
"Coming right up!", and I run to prepare the best cup of coffee in my life. When I handed him in the steaming liquid and the slice of cake I couldn't help myself and I just had to sit by his table.
"Oh my god, what are doing here?!", I asked, because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
"I came for a coffee. You proposed it yourself!", seeing my reaction, he quickly started to explain in much lower voice: "I don't know how to say it, but... After out parting, everything seemed different, more sad. Like it wasn't on its place. And the real reason I came here is to ask... Would you like to explore Seoul But... More profoundly? Maybe every day piece by piece?, his face showed perplexity. This handsome self-confident member of the one of the most popular bands in the world had no idea what to do.
"Isn't it crazy?", I asked while laughing, but I had an answer in my head the moment I saw him.
"Wasn't it crazy to stand in the middle of the pavement?", laughed Siwon.