Blame Rain

Blame Rain

I sat in front of my laptop, laziness was curling around me. I didn’t do anything. Just watched the way raindrops fell. Unconsciously, I opened my room’s window, causing the cold went into my room yet I didn’t care.

“Ah,” I muttered to myself. I loved rain and always hoped that it would be raining everyday. I ejoyed it when raindrops made me wet, ejoyed a silent when the rain came, and waiting until I felt cold. And mostly, I missed rain because it always made me remember about you.

Did you remember the way we met?

***

I was walking in the rain, wet, and upset. When my eyes saw a bus stop, I decided to take shelter and sat calmly. But still, watched the raindrops fell.

My eyes caught usual events. Many people were waiting for their buses, with—of course—upset face, grumbling. It was a raining afternoon, when many people went home after work. Many pedesterians walked along the sidewalk with an umbrella in their hands. There were also cars, speeding up because the rain.

In a nusthell, I assumed that they hated rain.

Not for me. I loved rain.

Continuing to think, I didn’t pay attention to someone who was seeing me.

“Hi.”

My face turned, and saw the man that looked at me before yet I was still in silence. A raining afternoon wasn’t a good time to flirt—yes, I thought, he was flirting to me—or just said Hi to someone that you didn’t really know. It was a fool attitude.

“Maybe thirty minutes again the rain will subside, but not in ten minutes,” He was still babbling.

I still didn’t care.

My body got cold. I took my hands off from my pockets and rubbed my hands to each other.

“It will be colder if we didn’t do anything in wet conditions at dry place than in wet conditions at wet place.”

My anger suddenly appeared, ready for the war.

“Hey, Have you ever learned about proper attitudes? If someone doesn't answer your greetings, it means they are disturbed by your presence! Appreciate someone else’s comfort!” My voice sounded like lightning, loud.

“Until now, I’m still learning about proper attitudes. If someone greets you, answer it, although you don’t like it. Try to answer it as friendly as you can.” His voice was calm. Still calm.

A tight knot was formed in my throath, couldn’t answer it.

“Alright. I’m the one who don’t have good manners here. So what?” I replied with a stronger anger.

He didn’t say anything, just looked into my eyes. A cold but calm gaze. A gaze that I still remembered.  

He smiled heavily, “You are crying. And you try to cover it with walking in the rain.”  

I was speechless. I tried to answer his sentence, but I couldn’t. However, when one of my tears found its way out from my eyes, I said with trembling voice, “If you just want to pry on people’s bussiness, you don’t have to learn proper attitude.”

And then I ran through the rain.

***

Many days that passed after that day were weird thing for me. I always remembered his gaze. If rain was coming, there was a strong desire to go to that bus stop again, hoping to meet him. But his statement hurt my heart. He didn’t have to say something like that. At least, he must appreciate my attempt to hide my tears.

Immediately, I took my blue sweater, wore it quckly and walking in middle of the rain. There was no lightning and the sky was bright even though it was still raining. I ran to the bus stop. Just a few people that wait until the rain would subside with—again—upset face. My eyes looked for that gaze but it wasn’t there. Hopeless, I sat on the same chair as one week ago.

What did I do here? What was my bussines so I decided to go here? Just for met someone strange, even I didn’t know his name? Just for a gaze? Was it really meaningful for me?

 And then, I felt someone touched my shoulders carefully; it was him. He looked at me with the same eyes as one week ago, with the same gaze that made me couldn’t concentrate at anything I did.

“Hi,” I greeted him.

He didn’t answer, still in silence, the same gaze.

“Hi,” I reapeated.

“If someone greets you, answer it, although you don’t like it. Try to answer it as friendly as you can.” I said his sentence one week ago with no change.

He didn’t answer it, though.

“Come here,” he reached out his hand. I was standing quickly yet didn’t ‘grab’ his hand.

He went out to the street, through the rain and I followed him. We walked slowly. Just let the raindrops made our clothes wet.

“Where are you going to take me?” I took off my sweater’s hood and in a sudden, raindrops fell onto my head with no abandon.

“I’m not taking you to anywhere. I’m just trying to accompany you.”

“To accompany me? You mean, to accompany me walking in the rain?”

He nodded, “yes. I’m trying to accompany you. In this case, walking in the middle of the rain. Don’t you like walking in the middle of the rain?”

I was shocked, “How could you know?”

“Because I see you.”

“How could you see me?”

“Because you are not a ghost.”

“You—“

What I was going to say suddenly disappeared as he hugged me tightly. It was strange. Someone that didn’t know me so well could hug me. And the most important thing; I didn’t try to slap his face—which was usually I did, even to my bestfriends.

Ten seconds later, I went backwards,  took off his arms as I realized that it was crazy. We looked at each other’s eyes, confused. Didn’t know what to say.

“I’m sorry... I just, you know, just... I don’t know why did it happen.” He tried to explain yet I was busy in my thoughts and continueing to be quite.

“Let’s walk again. Just follow our feet.”

We walked again in silence until we met junction. He suddenly stopped and turned his head to me, “You don’t want to know my name?” He asked shyly yet he gave me his michevious grin. “I’m Kyuhyun, by the way. Cho Kyuhyun.”

Again, he reached out his arms. But this time, I decided to take it in friendlier way and shook his wet hand, “My name is Seo Joohyun. You can call me whatever you want. Just for your note, I prefer Seohyun than the other names of mine.”

***

We became friendlier and closer than before. I knew that he was still young—twenty five. He was a CEO of a company that made games. Truthfully, he was the founder. He told me that he loved gaming and coding so he decided to make a company that focused in making games.  

And then, I started to realize that my mood depended on whether Kyuhyun came to accompany me or not. Our togetherness could give me awesome effects. We enjoyed the rain with laughs, exciting stories, and smiles. Fortunately, he never asked my why I was crying when we met for the first time. He never asked about my tears that I tried to cover a lot. Saying about a hurtful story was hard.

 I felt something strange. My heart would beat so fast when Kyuhyun smiled, even when he just looked at me with those eyes, with the same gaze. I started to hink that I wanted him for more than an usual friend that always came to accompany me walking in the rain. And I was sure that he had the same feeling; he just never talked about it.

And for the worst thing : I started to think about Kyuhyun over and over again. And again. Sometimes, his michevious grin appeared when I had to edit some scripts—I worked as an editor. When I could put his grin out of my mind and brain, I could imagine his wet but warm hand  holding my hand. How crazy it was.

He had this scent, my favorite scent—a mix of fresh aftershave and his perfume that made me imagining about a small street with spruces surrounding the street.

And one night, in the middle of the night, I decided to call him because I missed him so much. Rain had not come for three days, so I and him had no bussiness to come to the bus stop again.

Kyuhyun answered my call within six seconds, “Hello? Seohyun?”

“Hey, it’s me.”

I heard he giggled, “Yes, I know it’s you. Why are you calling me in this late hour?”

“I miss you.”

“Hmm... So do I..”

“I’m thinking of you for many times.”

“Hmm... So do I..”

I pressed END CALL button and threw my phone away. Why on earth he was being like that?

He called me back in ten seconds yet I didn’t want to answer. His witty side should had not come in this time.

I turned off my phone for one day. Proudly.

***

Rain came a day after that night. I quickly wore my sweater and ran to the bus stop through the rain. There was no one who waited bus. It turned out that he was already there, standing with a face full of concern. He was wearing a formal light blue shirt, a tie, and black trousers with his lovely messy hair.

“Seohyun!” He ran to me and hugged me. “I’m so sorry. I thought my joke would be funny and could make you laugh as usual. I realized that you were serious after you ended our call. I’m so sorry. Is there anything you want to say?”

“I love you.” I said, looking at him.

Suddenly, I felt his body became frozen.

“Do you love me?” I asked again. He kissed my forehead, without saying anything.

“Seohyun, I like you. I—“

“Don’t be a covuluted. Do you love me or not?”

“Oh, please, don’t ask me again. Are you happy with our.. togheterness? Do you realize that this is much more than love?” He took off his arms, ran it to his already-messy hair.

“Like I said, don’t be a convuluted. I just want you to say yes or no so I can prepare my heart.”

Kyuhyun hugged my tightly again. I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

“Seohyun.... Just... Don’t ever go away from me.”

“Do you love me?” I asked again for the umpteenth time

Kyuhyun looked at me with-almost-teary-eyes, “I have to tell you, something.” He grabbed my hand and sat on the chairs.

“Donghae is my friend, Seohyun.”

My eyes got widen, didn’t believe what he just said.

“Let me speak first. And then you can say whatever you want to say,” Kyuhyun said while holding my right hand.

“I have known you for a long time, Seohyun. When we met at this bus stop, that was your first time to meet with me, not the first time I meet you. Donghae is my friend in my company and I know a lot about him. Including his girlfriend, you.”

“I—“

“Do you remember when you came to Donghae’s office with a green t-shirt? That was my first time to meet you. And from that afternoon, I always want to meet you. I’m jealous quite often because Donghae had a girlfriend like you.

“And when he cheated on you, I didn’t know why I felt so sad. Everyday I saw him with that woman in the morning and in the afternoon, you came with a smile. How I wanted to stop him. How I wanted to meet you and tell you about his betrayal. But then I realized that I have no rights to tell you. I’m not you friend, even you haven’t met me yet.”

Kyuhyun stood up and walked to the sidewalk, seeing the corner of the street. While I was silent, with mixed feelings.

“And when you came for lunch time and saw them hugging in the lift, I didn’t know what kind of desire that made me left my company and follow you. I saw your tears in your chubby cheeks, but there was nothing I could do.

“From that moment, I always watch you. Do you remember when I hugged you in the second evening since you met me? I didn’t know why I could do that either. So... with these feelings, please, don’t ever ask me whether I love you or not, Seohyun. These feelings are too strong to be decribed as love, Seohyunie.”

I stood up and held Kyuhyun’s shoulders, turning his body to me. I looked at his eyes, “Marry me, Cho Kyuhyun.”

His face became pale. Five seconds later, his teardrops fell right when he opened his mouth.

“I am married with someone else since five years ago, Seohyun.”

Voice of lightning jarring in a sudden. But his words more suprised me.

“You—you jerk! How—how—you—you’re cheating on me, too!”

“Seohyun. This is not like you think. I’m not a jerk. I don’t know why I fall in love with you since our first meeting. I never intended to cheat on my wife yet I also can’t let out this feeling away. I always curse to myself and regret why I have to see you that afternoon. But I can’t give up this feeling, Seohyun. Please. You are a piece of my life but can I say that when I am already someone else’s piece of life?”

“Forget about me.” I took on my sweater hood and turned away, get out from the bus stop.

“Seohyunie... Don’t go. Please, don’t do that.”

But still, I walked, avoiding him. I walked again and I felt something was stabbing in my heart. The longer the worse. I wasn’t strong enough to bear the reality so I ran.

My tears, also, ran to my cheeks.

***

After seasons had passed, today was the first time the rain was coming. And every raindrops took my breathe. Seasons that had passed weren't making me to decrease my love to him. Suddenly, my phone beeped. My heart was jumping out when read the numbers.

I took a deep breath before opened the message.

Seohyun, rain finally comes. Today is the first time since many seasons have passed. Tonight, I see the raindrops and also see you in every raindrops. I miss you, Seohyunie. I miss that chubby cheeks. My love won’t get decrease until the very end of the world.

-Kyuhyun-

My heart beat so fast. I missed him too.

God, why was Kyuhyun belong to someone else? How could I deliberately put myself in the middle of them? But this kind of love was really couldn’t get decrease.

I held my phone with trembeling hand and tried to decide; would I press DELETE or REPLY?


A/N : Many of you may have read this story, yet I edited some typos and (pathetic) grammars :D