Friday Nights

Friday Nights

Friday morning is when Sungyeol wakes up at six am to the sound of his alarm and the smell of coffee not being made. He has to give himself several reasons on why he should get up on Friday mornings and even though it's usually a large list (I've got school, there's my goldfish to feed, Myungsoo will get worried, I might get fired from work, etc) he always ends up getting out of bed for the same reason; Friday nights.

Friday morning means that there will be a Friday night.

He gets out of bed and the first thing he does is step into the kitchen and starts the coffee machine, making sure everything is in place so that his morning cure will be made to perfection. Sungyeol takes quick showers but on Friday mornings he takes his time and makes sure that he uses extra conditioner (though it doesn't really make a difference on his lightly colored hair) to create an even smoother look. He spends even more time trying to style his hair and cover up that zit (when did this get here?) which is at the corner of his forehead and when he thinks he looks all shiny and new, Sungyeol will go out and put on a not so clean outfit (its the same shirt he wore yesterday but it still smells clean so it'll do) and then gets his coffee.

These are how his Friday mornings start.

-

Friday afternoons are much slower than normal afternoons and Sungyeol has to deal with an overly sticky Myungsoo that looks like pudding and is just as squishy. Myungsoo ends up talking Sungyeol's ear off about different photography aspects and while Sungyeol enjoys his best friend's company, he can't wait to get away from a talkative Myungsoo. It's always a good thing that Woohyun interjects with his grease and flirts with Myungsoo and gets the younger male to blush while Sungyeol gags and runs off to find some sanity.

He finds that sanity he’s looking for with Sungjong (somewhat) and they go shopping and Sungyeol likes to look at all the different earring sets the stores have while Sungjong picks out the most expensive studs. It's fun to shop with Sungjong like this and time flies by quickly but Sungyeol still feels anxious and wishes that the afternoon would pass by sooner.

They both leave early when Sungyeol starts to whine and Sungjong doesn't want to baby someone who's supposed to be his hyung.

When Sungyeol gets home, all the lights are off and now he's got to wait through an entire evening.

-

Friday evenings are the longest of all. Sungyeol contemplates on calling Myungsoo over but he's most likely busy doing things with Woohyun, things Sungyeol doesn't want to imagine his two best friends doing.

Sometimes he'll call Dongwoo over and he always brings Sunggyu along and they'll eat out together or help Sungyeol cram for his next test, but there are no tests to be taken right now and all Sungyeol has now is an empty knot forming in his stomach so he doesn't feel like eating.

It's boring, Sungyeol knows and he hates Friday evenings so much because its the transition between afternoons and nights and all he's waiting for is the night.

So after falling asleep on his couch and waking up to the sun more than half gone from the horizon, Sungyeol jumps off his couch and decides to talk a walk.

-

Friday nights are when he aimlessly walks around the park.

When he’s got no real destination in mind and just walks and walks and walks. The moon and stars twinkle and shine down on him and he lets the cool night breeze blow his hair around, but tonight there is no breeze and only clouds fill up the sky. Sungyeol knows not all Friday nights are the same but he enjoys them all anyways because Friday nights are when he gets to see Howon.

Sungyeol doesn’t know much about Howon, except that every Friday night he sits in the darkest corner of the park (the darkest ‘lit’ part of the park) and does absolutely nothing but listen to the two white earbuds that blast music and life into his ears. Howon never does anything but that, he just stares into oblivion (sometimes he closes his eyes though and Sungyeol notices how long and pretty his eyelashes are) and he just listens to his music for hours, at least until it’s midnight then he leaves.

And what does Sungyeol do?

He sits at the most inconspicuous part of the park where he can still view Howon and he watches. He stares intently at Howon’s dark form that can barely be made out by the dying street light in the corner. Sungyeol doesn’t know when or why he started doing this, but all he knows is that Friday nights are reserved for Howon.