Part 6

Only Wanting Prelude 2 - A Hidden Kindness

Only Wanting

 

Prelude Story 2

 

A Hidden Kindness

Gary swearing a bit again, but nothing as bad as before

Part 6

 

Han lay in a crumpled heap next to the bins where he had dumped Kiyeol, looking a hell of a lot worse than what the maknae had looked when he had been left there. But there again given the fact that Dae, Aso and at least three other Guards had laid into him all at the same time whilst the rest of his loyal gang had fled like rats deserting a ship it was no surprise. Dae was known to be one of the toughest Street Guards in the area, being noted as the only one who had ever bested Gary in a fight without resorting to cheap and dirty tricks.

 

Aso had the Red Hound chained to the bin so that he couldn’t get away when he inevitably woke up as no doubt Gary would want to have more than just a few words with him. The guard turned his head, hearing the sounds of running feet approaching and shifted his stance, a metal pole tapping against the side of the bin to alert Dae and the others.

 

Looking up at the noise, Dae flicked his eyes up to Yipper who moved silently to go and support Aso should he need it. Not that he generally did of course, Aso was as strong as an ox, but numbers counted for a lot here. Turning his chocolate brown gaze onto Jial, he sighed and ran his hand through his messy hair, “Don’t worry, Gary will be here soon.”

 

Jial didn’t respond, keeping his eyes down and shivering despite himself. Dae had ensured to redress him in the warmest possible clothes going, after coming in to find the boy dressed in nothing but his birthday suit and knew that regardless of any complaints he would be taken to one of the safe houses for tonight at the very least. Whilst Jial trusted Dae, he was always more reserved around him in comparison to Gary but it was to be expected. Gary was Jial’s hyung, Dae was not.

 

Opin and Rege, two other guards who had answered the call but arrived later than Dae, Aso and Yipper, had worked out where the other boy was hidden but had as of yet to coax him out, though that wasn’t surprising either given what he had gone through. Hell both boys had been through hell quite literally today and whilst Jial was unfortunately used to such nightmares, Dae could tell that the other was clearly shaken by the events.

 

Footsteps approached, sounding thick and heavy and familiar and both Dae and Jial looked up at the same time. Automatically the second in command released the e and Jial virtually flung himself at Gary, accepting the offered hug and returning it without question. Gary held onto the other, tight and fast, letting out a sigh of relief, “Thank God, how bad did that hurt you, Jial?”

 

Dae coughed and silently indicated the two rather lost and worried looking men behind his commander.

 

Jial looked up and immediately felt his heart skip a beat. They were stunning looking boys, toned, muscled but with athletic bodies, nice faces and gentle auras that made them feel approachable. He had seen lots of pretty looking boys in his time on the streets, but even he could tell that these two were something special. He saw the concern in their eyes, noting that the one on the left had strange mismatched eyes whereas the one of the right had really pretty dark brown orbs. Even though Gary had barely mentioned the fact that he would be bringing anyone along with him, Jial knew that these had to be Kiyeol’s hyung’s.

 

Lightly he gulped, “Kiyeol’s in the back, I didn’t want him to get hurt. I’m sorry.”

 

Jongki blinked in surprise at the boy, there were red marks on his face and hands, the start of a black eye forming around his pale brown eyes and he got the distinct impression that he had been hurt in other ways too. But regardless of that fact, the boy was more concerned about Kiyeol than himself and was telling them what they needed to know before answering the first question.

 

“Where in the back?” Bradley asked, clearly shocked by the youngster’s appearance but under the distinct impression that the mouthy guard who had brought them here would sort that out shortly. Plus he really wanted to get his Ducky out of this horrible mess if he could.

 

Jial pulled away from Gary - revealing his willowy form despite the slight bagginess to the clothes that he wore, the jumper he was wearing in particular was way too big falling down his shoulders to reveal a strong looking neckline and the tips of collarbones that looked distinctly prominent but in a really good way Jongki noted - and smiled faintly, “Just in the old cupboard, it locks from the inside so he’s safe,” his voice was soft and gentle,  “I told him to open the door to no one other than his hyung’s, which I’m guessing you two are.”

 

Bradley nodded lightly and nudged Jongki who had been staring at the boy though whether in shock or something else he couldn’t tell and together they followed him to the back room. The Guards conversed quietly between each other in low voices, obviously checking out the information between themselves but made no move to stop any of them. Gary looked most displeased but Dae seemed to have that situation under control for now.

 

The back room reeked of things that Jongki only liked to smell whenever he was involved with it and took note that the sheets had been stained pink in a few places. He hoped that it was from that pungent creature outside and not this gentle and kind skinny boy. Jongki tried not to stare at the other, aware that it was rude and probably made the poor kid feel uncomfortable but also for the slight churning it caused in his stomach which was just confusing the hell out of him.

 

However all of the strange thoughts were driven out of his head when the door to what must have been a boiler cupboard opened and a familiar crop of blond hair launched itself into Bradley’s arms with a series of wailing sobs. “Mama Bear!” he half yelled, “Jongki!”

 

“Kiyeol!” Bradley half yelped, holding the youngster tightly and placing a series of kisses onto his head, “Oh thank god you’re safe,” he pushed the maknae back to look him in the face, “Don’t you dare go running off like this again, you hear me?” the maknae was pulled back into a firm hug, “Worrying your Mama Bear half to death. You silly little duck.”

 

Kiyeol didn’t reply, he was crying too hard to actively manage to do so and Jongki moved to join the hug, wrapping his arms around the youngster and virtually hauling him out of the others grip, “Never mind about worrying me to death as well Kiyeol,” he said, holding onto the youngster who gripped him back like death, “as well as everyone else. Why did you do such a...oh what am I saying, I’ll chide you later but don’t you go doing this again you hear me?”

 

Jial watched the three and felt just a little bit like a third wheel, though he was more than glad to see Kiyeol back with such kind and loving people who clearly adored him no end. It almost made him feel a little jealous but he pushed those kinds of thoughts aside. Well actually they were driven from his mind when the boy he could now identify as Mama Bear, suddenly engulfed him in a hug which surprised the youngster. “Thank you,” the voice was filled with warmth and kindness, “thank you, thank you, thank you.”

 

“But I didn’t do anything,” Jial said slowly, aware that he was blushing a little.

 

The other one chuckled a little, “You kept him safe after he got hurt, that’s more than enough.”

 

Jial wanted to say that he hadn’t done that good a job since the kid was clearly traumatised by the events of what had happened but the next thing he knew he found Jongki hugging him. His blush went from a light dusting to nearly full on beetroot. He didn’t deserve such kindness to be shown to him, not in the slightest but at the same time he couldn’t identify why he was blushing. “Thank you again, and I’m sorry that you got hurt,” Jongki gently ran his fingers down the side of his face, near to where the bruises were forming.

 

Jial shook his head, “I honestly did nothing special. I just didn’t want him to be hurt was all.”

 

Suddenly Kiyeol was wrapping around him and Jial closed his eyes and returned the hug, holding the other tightly for a few seconds, “Kiyeol, you listen to me. You go home with your hyung’s and stay there okay?” he sounded like a big brother himself, concerned and scared for the youngster in front of him, “Don’t go running off or if you’re going to do so make sure you’ve got your phone okay? These guys clearly missed you and you have no reason to run from them.”

 

“I know,” Kiyeol stuttered out, keeping his eyes down, “but what they-”

 

Jial shushed him quickly, “Forget it. Don’t dwell on it and go home.”

 

Jongki frowned but opted to ask Kiyeol about it later on when the youngster had calmed down. Bradley retook hold of the still sobbing boy, thanked the dark haired boy once again and started to head out of the flat. They had shared a very quick and silent conversation with just a glance of their eyes and Jongki smiled towards the youngster, “Seriously, thank you for looking after him. I dread to think what...” he stopped and dug out some money from his back pocket.

 

Jial flushed, “No! You don’t need-” the money was placed into his hands and he shook his head, trying to push it back to the other, “I can’t...”

 

“You got hurt for him, you’re going to need something for the medical costs right?” Jongki said, completely oblivious, “It’s no big deal.”

 

“But,” Jial paused, glancing at Gary who nodded at him and he turned his eyes down, “I shouldn’t.”

 

Jongki felt a huge prang of pity for the boy, he looked so lost and confused and desperate but he wasn’t trying to make things difficult. “It’s okay, I promise he’ll be fine once he’s had a good night’s sleep and I would hate to think that you are in pain cause of what happened,” god he wished that the other wouldn’t look at him with those lovely round eyes that reminded him of a little lost kitten – he knew already that he wouldn’t be able to get those eyes out of his head tonight, hell he wouldn’t be able to get the boy out of his head regardless – “You deserve something for helping Kiyeol out, anyone else would have probably tried to kick up a big fuss about it all.”

 

Jial blinked, “Why?”

 

There was a chuckle from behind, “I’m afraid that Jial doesn’t exactly keep up with the music industry and stuff,” it was Gary who grinned ruefully, “So hence why he don’t know you from anyone else. Jial, do yourself a favour and take the damn money, I’ll sort it out and make sure that nothing bad comes of it and then get your stuff ready. I’ll get these three dozy sods back to where they belong and then you’re staying with me tonight, understand.”

 

Jial blinked before nodding and looking down, “Yes hyung,” he said before accepting the money from Jongki, “Thank you...even though I really did do nothing.”

 

Jongki smiled, “Believe me, if you got Kiyeol to trust you, you done something special indeed. Thank you again Jial.” It felt weirdly good to say the others name but he smiled and shook hands with the other to keep himself from doing something stupid. Though what that stupid thing was, was beyond Jongki at the moment. Though he did briefly note an odd looking black tattoo on the boy’s wrist.

 

“It really was nothing, Jongki, really nothing,” Jial didn’t notice that he had said Jongki’s name, as he cast his eyes down once again and ran his fingers over the money. There had to be a good 80,000 won there in his hands and he couldn’t process how on earth Jongki could afford to just give him such things.

 

Gary clapped them both on the shoulder, after about a minutes silence and led Jongki away who couldn’t think of anything else to say. He vaguely heard Gary mutter something to one of the others but instead he focused on Kiyeol and Bradley for now as he knew that his priority lay with ensuring that they were both okay and got home safely.

 

Back inside, Jial waited a good few minutes to ensure that Jongki, Mama Bear and Kiyeol were long gone from his apartment before allowing his body and mind to give into the extreme levels of pain that he was going through. Dae just about managed to catch him before he fully hit the floor and wrapped his arms tightly around him. Jial was trying not to cry, trying to remain brave but he just felt so confused about the night’s events that he broke down.

 

Dae quietly held him closer, “It’s okay Jial, it’s going to be okay.”

 

Jial didn’t respond, he just gave in and cried. In all his years on the strip he had only ever cried in private and when he was away from others, but tonight he couldn’t help himself.

 

Because tonight, for the first time in what felt like forever, he had been given kindness in return.

 

~~

 

About half way back to the Happy Cat, Jongki had called Kuso and agreed to meet them there, Gary pulled the small group to a stop.

 

“Listen,” he stated, sighing and sounding older than he appeared, “You’re best not mentioning anything about Jial to anyone, if you can help it of course,” he wasn’t his usual swear filled self, “If word gets out that he helped...well let’s just say there’s a few ear's that I don’t want to have hear of it okay?”

 

Jongki blinked at the guard and knew that asking the next question was dangerous but he had to ask it, “What was that mark on his wrist all about?”

 

Bradley shifted, looking towards Jongki in shock before blinking back to Gary.

 

“Put bluntly, he’s a e...he sells his body virtually every night, though it’s not through his own choice,” Gary sighed, shaking his head, “Hence why he wasn’t keen on taking the money from you. If his pimp found out about it, it would be taken away from him but thankfully we can sort something out for him and keep him safe.”

 

The news was not welcomed in the slightest by any of the three who were standing there but Kiyeol rallied first, “I suppose going to the police won’t help?”

 

Bradley sighed, “No, it won’t Kiyeol. If we do, he’ll get arrested and locked up.”

 

“But why?” the maknae looked about ready to start crying again, “All he did was help me out.”

 

“Which was a risk in itself,” Gary said, a little harsher than he meant to but he couldn’t undo what was said, “Kiyeol, you will hopefully never know just how lucky you were to end up in front of his place. I’ve known people be dragged into that world just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyone else would have called their pimp for finding a pretty boy like you, but not Jial...” he blinked at the stunned looking faces, “You’re best forgetting about him and not mentioning him to anyone else. Not even anyone else whose waiting for you at home or the guy coming to pick you up. I don’t care what kind of and bull story you come up with but come up with something and forget about him okay?”

 

Jongki rallied himself, “But he was hurt...”

 

“It’s a risk, anyone who works the streets knows what it’s like. At least you had the decency to try and help him out, if he had been attacked without the runt in the place he wouldn’t have gotten anything,” Gary shook his head, “This world ain’t the place for the likes of you three, so you just keep out of it okay?”

 

They walked back in sullen silence to the cafe, Kiyeol whimpering now and then but Jongki stole a few glances at the other, noting the stress lines that were etched onto his face and how his posture shifted. It was clear that he was keen to get back to Jial, “We can make it the rest of the way from here,” he said carefully, “If you’re worried about Jial it would be better for you to go back to him.”

 

The Guard smirked and snorted, “I always worry about Jial, but at the moment I don’t want you lot disappearing off on me either. I’m going to wait for you to be picked up and then I’ll go and see him. Whether he likes it or not, he’s stopping at mine tonight,” a rather gleeful glint came into his eyes, “After I beat the living crap out of that stupid of a punk who hurt him and your friend.”

 

Jongki didn’t doubt it for a second that the Guard would do it but had to ask one more question, “You don’t have to answer this but I’m curious, what exactly are you?”

 

“I’m a Street Guard,” Gary said, sounding quite proud of the fact, “We’re a small group who tries to keep those who work those who work the streets safe. Not an easy job in the slightest but it helps out.”

 

Bradley couldn’t help but let a little dry humour slip from his tongue, “So you are the police then?”

 

Gary glared back at the other but it was a little friendlier, “Sod off, pouncy pretty boy. I ain’t no stinking police. Get yerself back home and stay there, right ya little punk?”

 

Kuso turned up at the Happy Cat around forty-five minutes later and Gary went to slip back off into the shadows but Jongki briefly caught him once again, “I just wanted to say thank you, one last time.”

 

“Piss off, you don’t need to thank...hey!” he blinked as more money was put into his hand, “What the do you think you’re doing?”

 

“Take it and help someone with it,” Jongki said, “We don’t care home but put it to good use.” He smiled and ducked quickly into the car, and soon they were gone from sight.

 

However Gary stared down at the money in his hand and sighed, “, e and mother. Wonder when I’ll be seeing those ers again?” It hadn’t been hard to see the almost immediate connection between Jial and Jongki, though personally Gary got the impression that he wouldn’t want to go up against Bradley as those muscles weren’t just for show, even if both had no idea what the hell was just about to hit them. Gary was used to this sort of thing happening but somehow, it felt different.

 

He sighed, cursed again and headed back into the darkness of the shadows.