BTBT2

Shots Off Taengent: Professor T

“Taeyeon.”

“Yes?”

“Would you please come to the front?”

“Only for you, Miss Kwon.”

The class whistled as Taeyeon strutted to the front with her hands in her pocket but Miss Kwon only smiled. “Thanks, Taeyeon. Now, please sing and play this song for the class.”

Taeyeon picked up the guitar and looked at the sheet music for only a second before flashing a confident grin. “No problem, Miss Kwon.”

Everyone in class sat up, ears pricked. Taeyeon grinned at all of them, then strummed the guitar and sang in a low, y voice:

회색 거린 허전해

쓸쓸한 기분에 유리창을 열어

내민 손위로 떨어진 빗방울

가득 고이는 그리움 나의 맘에 흘러

왠지 네가 보고픈

차오르는 눈물

떠오르는 나의

비가 오면 내리는 기억에 번지는 아픔에

흠뻑 쏟아지는 너를 보다

선명했던 시간에 멈춘

추억에 젖은

아름다웠던 너를 그려 in the rain

There was a moment of silence after she stopped. Like a space in time where everyone was suspended in the air, floating like a foetus in their mother’s womb. Then one person began clapping and everybody else followed. Cheers rang out, calling Taeyeon an idol, the best singer, the school’s most talented.

Miss Kwon allowed the students to cheer for a bit before settling them down again. “That was a great performance, Taeyeon.”

“Thanks, Miss Kwon.”

“Now, if Taeyeon can do it, so can the rest of you.”

“That’s not true,” someone called out. “Taeyeon is the best singer in our school. The rest of us sound like chickens trying to escape the frying pot.”

The class laughed. Miss Kwon laughed along with them for a bit but eventually got them to stop. “We can all aspire to be like her by practicing. If you want to play this song too, learn these chords today.”

The class groaned.

“There are only four chords to learn. Learn them one at a time. Let’s start with the first chord. Taeyeon, would you please help me with the new student?”

Taeyeon made a face.

“Please?” Miss Kwon smiled beautifully at her.

“Oh, fine. Only for you, Miss Kwon.”

“Thanks, Taeyeon. You’re the best.”

Grudgingly, Taeyeon went to Tiffany’s side and handed her a guitar. “Have you ever seen one of these things?”

Tiffany’s neat rows of white teeth nearly blinded her. “I’m learning the guitar. But you’re much better at it than I am. You’re so talented.”

Taeyeon flicked non-existent dust off her short sleeve and flipped her hair over her shoulder. “Show me what you got.”

Tiffany nodded and proceeded to play the first chord. But she got stuck at the second one. “What’s the next chord?”

“B minor seventh.” Taeyeon pointed at the chord chart. “This one.”

“It’s difficult.”

“Are you stupid or what? It’s not difficult.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes and moved Tiffany’s fingers over the strings to the correct spots. “Who taught you to hold it like that? It’s all wrong.”

“I learnt by watching YouTube videos.”

YouTube videos,” Taeyeon mimicked Tiffany’s American English accent as she stepped behind her. “You got to hold it like this.” Leaning over Tiffany’s shoulder, she corrected her grip and posture.

“Woo . . .” went some students.

“Shut up,” Taeyeon said to them. “Mind your own business.”

The teasing stopped but Taeyeon could still hear whispers. Idiots.

“Thanks for teaching me so patiently, Taeyeon.”

“I’m only doing it ‘cos Miss Kwon asked me to.”

“Is Miss Kwon your favourite teacher?”

With a nonchalant nod, Taeyeon said, “She’s the best. She’s pretty and talented and nice.”

“But Mr Park is nice too.”

Taeyeon made a face. “He’s naggy. Like an old grandfather who won’t stop talking. And I hate Math.”

“Math isn’t that hard if you are patient with it.”

“I never said Math is hard. I said I hate Math.”

“So, you’re good at Math?”

“Nope.”

Tiffany flashed a wide smile. “I can help you with today’s Math homework if you want.”

“I’ll just copy my homework from my friend. I don’t need your help.”

The light in Tiffany’s eyes dimmed a little. “Okay . . . if you say so . . .”

Something in Tiffany’s voice made Taeyeon’s heart skip a beat. It reminded her of Tiffany’s fruity lip gloss from yesterday. Her lips were glossy today too. Is it the same fruit as yesterday’s?

“You know what? Since I’m in a good mood today, if you’re that desperate to help me, I’ll tolerate you for an hour after school.”

Tiffany’s eyes twinkled and she giggled. “We can do our homework at the study benches together.”

“We’re not doing our homework together. I’m just giving you a chance to make yourself useful for once.”

“I’ll see you there after lunch.”

=

“Where are you going?” Sooyoung asked with full of chewed up beef.

“Eww, gross.” Taeyeon covered her eyes with the back of her hand. “Don’t talk with your mouth full!”

“Oh, sorry.”

Taeyeon stood with her black backpack, ready to go.

“But you haven’t told us where you’re going.”

“I’m going to do my homework.”

Sooyoung spat out her beef, Yoona spat out her drink and Hyoyeon stared at her with eyes on the verge of popping out. “What?” they chorused.

“You heard me the first time.”

“You’re going to do your homework?” Hyoyeon asked again.

“But you always copy Seohyun’s answers,” said Yoona.

“Yeah,” Sooyoung added.

“I don’t feel like copying answers today.”

Hyoyeon, Yoona and Sooyoung stared at each other. Then they stared at her again. “Are you on drugs?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “Whatever. See ya later.” Ignoring her shocked friends, she headed for the study benches Tiffany mentioned earlier. The girl was already there, books opened on the table, pen in hand, earphones in ears. She walked right up to Tiffany and leaned close. “Ya!” she yelled straight at Tiffany’s ear and chortled when she jumped in fright.

“Oh my God, you scared me.”

Oh my God,” Taeyeon mimicked her American English accent. “You’re so easy to scare.”

“I guess this means you’re warming up to me,” Tiffany responds with a smile.

“I’m warming up to nobody. You’re the one who begged me to let you do my Math homework for me.”

“I didn’t say that. I said I can help you with it.”

“If help doesn’t mean doing it then I’m leaving.”

“Stay!” Tiffany grabbed Taeyeon’s arm and stopped her from stepping away. “Sit down. I’ll help you with the questions.”

“Fine.” Taeyeon took her Math homework out and pushed it to Tiffany. “All of these.”

“Which part of this question don’t you understand?” Tiffany asked, pointing at the first question.

“Every single word of it.”

Tiffany read the question silently for a moment, then smiled and read it out loud for Taeyeon. “What’s the first step to solve this question?”

“If I knew the answer, I wouldn’t have to copy it.”

“It’s okay, let me explain.”

Taeyeon listened as Tiffany explained. She was ever so aware of Tiffany’s arm brushing hers each time she pointed at the words in the question. She was ever so aware of the scent of Tiffany’s shampoo radiating from her hair. She was ever so aware of Tiffany’s twinkling eyes meeting hers every now and then. She was aware. Totally aware.

“Great, so what’s the answer?”

Deciding that she had had enough of Math for an afternoon, Taeyeon took the pen out of Tiffany’s hand and slammed it on the table. “Enough.”

“Huh?” Tiffany stared at her with big, round eyes, just like yesterday.

“I’m going to get ice cream. Coming with?”

“Me?”

“Who else is there? Yeah, you.”

“But your Math homework?”

Taeyeon dismissed Tiffany’s concerns with a wave. “Ice cream?”

Pure joy entered Tiffany’s big, round eyes and she nodded enthusiastically. “I love ice cream.”

“Follow me,” Taeyeon said and sauntered off with her backpack.

“Wait for me!”

=

“Which flavour do you like?” Tiffany asked as they looked at the tubs of ice cream waiting to be devoured.

“Fruity flavours.”

“Me too!”

“Damn it. Don’t yell in my ear.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Tiffany gave her a chagrined smile. “I have a naturally loud voice but I forget that sometimes.”

“I pity the people around you.”

“My family? We all have loud voices,” Tiffany announced with a bright smile. “You should see us at gatherings. We’re like a market all by ourselves.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. Is this something to be proud about? “Just choose your flavour.”

“Is it your treat?” Tiffany asked, looking at her with sparkling puppy eyes.

“Just choose what you want.”

Tiffany squealed and started pointing. “I want this one and that one.”

Taeyeon chose her flavours too, then reached for her T-money card and paid for the ice cream. They walked down the street, their ice creams and Tiffany was blissfully silent.

“You got a spot right here.” Taeyeon pointed at the smudge of ice cream on Tiffany’s cheek. She clucked impatiently when Tiffany missed the spot with her napkin. “Here.” After watching Tiffany miss the spot yet again, Taeyeon took the napkin and dabbed at the spot. When it was finally cleaned up, she handed it back to Tiffany. “Done.”

“Thanks, Taeyeon.”

They walked on in ice-cream- silence until Tiffany spoke again.

“Is it true that you only date girls?”

Taeyeon snorted and started to cough because ice cream went up her nose.

=