Growing Up

Growing Up

Kyungsoo was 14, Jongin was 13. It was when they met for the first time and Jongin was a transferred student. He skipped one year forward at his previous school and Kyungsoo immediately took a notice of this boy. That meant Jongin was smart, and to Kyungsoo, it was amazing. But what made Kyungsoo drawn over the young boy was Jongin had a cute, sheepish smile despite the (a bit) matured look (than his age) and his taller height.

 

Kyungsoo decided to introduce himself to the new student and Jongin's eyes sparkled.

 

Kyungsoo's heart leaped, also for the first time in his life.

 

 

//

 

Kyungsoo was 16, Jongin was 15. They had gotten too used to each other's presence. Whenever someone called for Kyungsoo, Jongin trailed obediently like a puppy behind the elder. Kyungsoo didn't object, nor feel uncomfortable at all. That, however, left Kyungsoo wonder how it would feel like if Jongin wasn't there for him. Just one day, without having Jongin around, because they had spent nearly two years of sticking together inseparably.

 

Kyungsoo tacitly stared over his shoulder at the tanned boy and blinked innocently.

 

How does it feel one or two days without Jonginnie?

 

Kyungsoo, that time, didn't realize how imagination could be taken granted as a future.

 

When Jongin distanced himself with Kyungsoo because an annoying girl kept pestering Jongin and clinging on him desperately like how a young girl who just went through puberty would act, Kyungsoo thought Jongin wasn't going to play with him anymore and that made the doe-eyed boy upset. It happened for a week, and Kyungsoo was dejectedly going back home. His steps were getting heavier and Kyungsoo knew a pang of hurt in his chest wouldn't disappear since Jongin wasn't there with him. The thought of Jongin leaving him tackled Kyungsoo's innocent sanity and a sigh slipped out. Kyungsoo's steps were short, and they became shorter, and shorter. Eventually Kyungsoo stopped and looked down at the cemented road.

 

He had never felt this lonely before, hence the sole reason of what Kyungsoo felt now was Jongin's absence around him.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes were glistening slightly and the pale boy bit his lower lip to hold back his feelings.

 

He wished Jongin to be here..

 

How he wished..so much.. that Jongin.. had been here..

 

" Kyungsoo?"

 

That familiar voice sent a jolt through Kyungsoo's spine and the latter promptly snapped his head up, eyes wide at the face above him.

 

" Jongin.." Kyungsoo's voice was croaked, " Why are you.."

 

" Why am I here? Good question," Jongin stifled an awkward laugh, " Um, so in this past week I had to avoid the girl who crushed on me and I needed to talk with her close friends that i didn't want to.. go out with her. She's a bit selfish and childish person, that's why I had to gather a pool of support first. I turned her down politely yesterday and her reaction was kind of deviated as far as I had predicted. She cried terribly and her friends had to console her properly. Today I checked on her condition through her best friend and this person said it's already okay," Jongin explained about his sudden absence even before Kyungsoo asked for it, " I thought I must talk to her friends because I know how great the impact that a friend can cause, so yeah, everything worked out well in the end. After that I realized I wanted to see you but you were going home already so I decided to chase after you."

 

Kyungsoo's heart fluttered because he heard that Jongin wanted to see him. The sincere black orbs stared through Kyungsoo's soul and the taller boy grinned,

 

" Can I come to your house today, Kyungsoo?" Jongin asked,  " I missed you."

 

Upon hearing that, Kyungsoo decided he was terribly in love with this person in front of him.

 

 

//

 

Kyungsoo was 17 and Jongin was 16. Kyungsoo was angry because someone was picking on Jongin's dancing hobby and he said that dancing was so gay and lame. Kyungsoo hated it because he knew how Jongin looked the best and dedicated when his body followed the fluid steps and Kyungsoo could see that Jongin was no longer the sweet mischievous boy he knew. The Jongin who danced was someone else with undeniable charisma and determination in his gaze. Kyungsoo adored it and the younger never failed to amaze him.

 

That's why when Kyungso stomped his feet in irritation, Jongin followed him quietly waiting for the elder to calm down. But seeing how Kyungsoo's tips of ears turned red and his teeth gritted occasionally, Jongin decided that he needed to take another way.

 

" Kyungsoo, if you are that mad and annoyed but you have no idea how to convey it.." Jongin suggests, " Then you should write something on a piece of paper!"

 

Kyungsoo was left dumbstruck as Jongin caught his wrist and led him to a park, sitting on a bench. Jongin ripped a paper from his notebook and handed it to Kyungsoo.

 

" Please," Jongin smiled widely, " Write something and I hope your irritation will be vanished."

 

Kyungsoo thought for a moment and stared blankly at the paper. He peeked at Jongin through his bangs and shut his eyes close. He recalled when Jongin was on the big stage for his first dance performance two months ago and how happy he looked back then. Jongin's graceful movements and his charismatic look - Kyungsoo tried to remember everything.

 

Jongin wanted to be a professional dancer or at least a dance instructor.

 

Kyungsoo finalized what he wanted to write and scribbled something carefully, earning Jongin's interest. Once he was done, Kyungsoo passed the white paper to Jongin and blushed furiously. Jongin accepted it and read the writing carefully, only to have his well-shaped brows elevated and Kyungsoo swore he saw a thin smile on Jongin's lips. A chuckle broke from Jongin's throat and between his breaths, Jongin murmured,

 

" This is so good, Kyungsoo."

 

 

'Please keep dreaming before your dream comes true, and go confidently towards your dream. No matter what happens, live it up fully; the life you've imagined.'

 

 

" I.." Kyungsoo hesitated to respond because he could feel his warm cheeks gradually turning hotter and Jongin stared at him in adoration.

 

" Call me stupid or whatever, but I have always thought you have a talent in writing, Kyungsoo," Jongin said, " And gosh, I love you so much. This is amazing."

 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes.

 

There were three things Kyungsoo was absolutely positive.

 

First, his feelings were just being reciprocated by his ultimate crush a.k.a the love of his life.

 

Second, Kyungsoo decided he wanted to be a writer from now on.

 

Third, he liked the feeling of having his name rolled out of those beautiful lips, after all. 

 

 

 

//

 

Kyungsoo was twenty and Jongin was nineteen. It had been three years since they finally came out as an official couple, and also the first big fight they had ever had.

 

Because Jongin was a total airhead and he didn't realize that a flirtatious girl was hitting on him, Jongin was almost kissed in front of Kyungsoo. The older male was really confused since Jongin had used to be someone with proper awareness but ever since they dated, Jongin didn't pay much attention to his surroundings, except the dance students he taught (due to his part-time job) who had difficulties in learning. Kyungsoo had repeatedly asked Jongin to be more careful around that girl but Jongin didn't think too much and let his guard down around her (who was also in his class). He treated her kindly and was certain that she didn't bear any feelings towards him but apparently Jongin was wrong.

 

So when she tried to kiss him and Jongin tried to pull away, Kyungsoo was walking in and he witnessed the scene. With those glistening and accusing eyes, he stormed out and Jongin had to shout his name couple of times before finally he decided to run after him.

 

" You didn't listen to me and you let her because you said it was a part of your work? Goodness, Jongin. Right, how silly of me. Go ahead and touch every student you have, then, whatever you want. I know they've been gawking over you since you came there. Let's bet if I care about you again next time!" was Kyungsoo said between his pants and tearful shriek. His voice crackled and he broke free from Jongin's grip, storming off of the place and left Jongin completely. The taller stared at the spot Kyungsoo was blankly, heart clenching painfully.

 

Jongin needed exactly one week to desperately get Kyungsoo back and apologize to him. A week without Kyungsoo next to him was horrible, and Jongin was determined to never let this happen again.

 

So he finally mustered up courage and said, " I'm sorry that I was such an idiot, Kyungsoo. But believe me, the reason I didn't think about it too much was because I already have you, so why should I bother to look at someone else for my own selfishness?"

 

Jongin saw that Kyungsoo's lips were trembling right after his apology and the next thing Jongin knew, Kyungsoo already stormed towards him and crashed his body in a tight hug, while whispering,

 

" I forgive you, Stupid," Kyungsoo nuzzled his nose into Jongin's neck because hell, he had missed that intoxicating scent so much. " Just.. never let your guard down or else I will punch you straight in your face for real next time."

 

" Yes," Jongin smiles, tears pooling but he refused to cry because the feeling of having Kyungsoo in his arms again was too good and he wanted to cherish this moment in happiness. He leaned in to steal a kiss, second kiss, and third kiss passionately as he promised, " I get it, Kyungsoo. Whatever you want, you wish, I'll grant it for you. I love you."

 

 

 

//

 

Now, Kyungsoo was 28 and Jongin was 27. Kyungsoo lived his life as a novel writer and Jongin was a professional dancer who owned a dance course and taught the students occasionally. Their relationship was going smoothly, with all events that had shaped it into a stronger bond. Happy moments and flaws had been coming together to a term transited into a bliss that they would never ask for more because it was already too perfect.

 

Kyungsoo was writing for his upcoming work and he got lost in thoughts when he stared through the window at the wide, clear sky with the sound of birds chirping nicely.

 

We're getting older and older, Kyungsoo thought, and I'll be less and less attractive.

 

The process of almost breaking up, tears shed, loud arguments, seeking for a forgiveness, cuddling, soft touches, and even the childish stuff like falling in love deeper; they had experienced them all.

 

But age didn't lie. Jongin was already an alpha male with his dashing features that everyone would be willing to die for. While Kyungsoo, he stayed old and never changed. He was still with his notepad or laptop and books, writing more and more, again and again. He lost interest in everything except his job and Jongin, basically, and Kyungsoo didn't regret it.

 

Yet as the time passed, Kyungsoo would probably lose his appeal and it would not be impossible if Jongin, someday, left him for a better woman who could give him a child.

 

I don't want to grow up and get older. Probably it's too late already thinking like this, but i want to go back to our old days, Kyungsoo thought, just when Jongin barged in suddenly into his workroom and Kyungsoo froze in shock at the loud noise.

 

" Hey, Baby!" Jongin cheerfully greeted, " I'm home! How's your work? And what's with that crestfallen expression?" Jongin looped his toned arms around Kyungsoo's body from behind and rested his chin on the smaller boy's shoulder, inhaling the fresh shampoo scent from Kyungsoo's hair.

 

" Mm, nothing," Kyungsoo turned his head and planted a soft kiss on Jongin's lips. " I was just thinking that I don't wanna grow up, after all."

 

" Why?" Jongin watched him with amusement, " You are 28 already. Why so sudden?"

 

" Probably because as I get older, I will be less attractive, less capable of taking care of us. Our relationship is great, but I wonder if there'll be something that hinders us and I won't be able to confront it just because I'm growing old. I mean, unlike our old days when we were just being reckless teenagers and everything would be just fine, in the end."

 

Jongin smiled softly at his boyfriend and ruffled the soft hair with full of affection. Kyungsoo winced a bit at no particular reason and found himself being turned around. Jongin placed his hands on the top of Kyungsoo's, staring into his black orbs and Kyungsoo could find a sea of unspoken promises and adoration in Jongin's eyes.

 

" You know, even if you have more wrinkles and you can't cook as often as you used to, I'll still love you always the same," Jongin said, " if we're still together for the next ten years, then we'll have a lot of things to do together ten years worth, and I still want for more."

 

Kyungsoo could feel tears coming to his eyes.

 

" Even we're growing old, I'll stay forever here, beside you, so we can stay forever together like this."

 

Kyungsoo lost his ability to speak at this moment so he only nodded, crashing their lips together.

 

It had been 11 years since they dated and Kyungsoo had gone through a lot of upside-down moments in his love life with Jongin.

 

But he never stopped loving Jongin, and he thought he would always be, forever.