I'll Change Your Fate - Baby I'm Sorry

I'll Change Your Fate - Baby I'm Sorry

I cursed at the poor timing of my ridiculous gift. Why did the stupid thing only give me a few hours to find the first person I had to protect? I knew that I knew where he was, the problem was getting there in time. I glanced at the screen of my phone, cursing once again. I was running out of time. What if I was too late? No, I couldn't allow myself to be too late. I had to make it on time, I just had to. I rounded the next corner and nearly cried in relief. That was the building I needed. I glanced at the time again. I didn't have any time to waste. I had to get to him in time. I just had to.

I managed to get to the floor they were on in good time, darting for where I knew they'd be; the washroom. Even though the idea made me nervous, I went in, my breathing shallow. What if I was too late, what if... The older man was trying to force the knife into the boy's chest as the boy struggled to hold him back. Neither seemed to notice that I came in, which worked to my advantage. I pulled my switch blade out of my pocket and jumped the man, sliding the blade across his neck with practiced ease. The man fell to the floor, his blood flowing like crazy out of the wound on his neck, the wound I caused. I just killed a man. I was shaking, even though this was far from the first life I'd ever taken. My chest was tight, even though I didn't really feel regret for killing the man. After all, I saved the one I had intended to. I smiled over at the boy with the black hair.

Sorry I'm late,” I said, untying the bandana around my wrist and grabbing his hand, which was injured from trying to hold the knife back. Carefully, I wrapped the black and white cloth around it, looking up at him. He was staring at me in confusion.

What do you mean 'you're late'?” he asked. I managed a small laugh as I shook my head at him.

It's a really long story, and we haven't got the time for it,” I said, standing up and holding out my hand. He took it and pulled himself up. I sighed in relief. Aside from his hand, he was uninjured. And alive. Thank God he was alive. One life, four to go. Three should be easy enough, I just had to do some convincing.

Who are you?” the boy asked, looking me up and down for the first time. “You're really short, how old are you?” I rolled my eyes.

You ask a lot of questions. Come with me, I'll explain along the way,” I said, taking hold of his sleeve and pulling him out of the washroom. I had to say, I was glad to be out of there, but unfortunately, because I was late, I had still managed to cause problems. Because even though the boy didn't die, the other still had reason to fight. He still wasn't out of the woods. But first things first, I had to get this boy to safety and have him tell his three friends to join him, then it was a matter of explaining just enough to get them to stay put until it was safe for them.

The black haired boy glanced down at me a few times, opening his mouth as if he was about to say something, but each time he did, I'd raise my eyebrow at him and he'd stop.

I guess I should start with my name, huh, Seyong?” I asked with a smirk. He stared at me again, almost running into a street light, until I smacked him in the arm. He shook his head.

Among other things,” he muttered. I laughed a little at that.

My name is Misun, but you can just call me Sunny,” I said, waiting for his reply.

So you're a girl?” he asked, raising an eyebrow at me. With a grin, I took off the hat I was wearing, letting my shoulder length hair fall. I pulled one side of the bulky jacket I was wearing open so that he could see the curves that were indeed there before shrugging it back over my shoulder.

I couldn't have anyone asking questions as to why a girl would be entering a men's washroom,” I said, the corners of my lips still pulling up even though I was trying to put on a serious expression. I was just so relieved that I got to him on time, that I was even able to have this conversation with him. But I also wanted him to understand the seriousness of the situation. “Seyong, don't affiliate with gangs anymore. Find an honest job that won't end up getting you hurt...or killed.” He scoffed, laughing slightly until I looked up at him. “I'm serious, Seyong. Find something else.”

I'm not going to get killed,” he said. I stopped and grabbed his elbow, turning him to face me. He looked at me in shock. Something in my expression told him that I wasn't kidding around, that I knew more things than I should. Like his name.

You were supposed to die today, Seyong. Just now. You were supposed to die,” I said, my voice low. His expression didn't change from the surprise. I let go of his arm and started walking again. “Come on.” After a few seconds, I heard him jogging to catch up before he matched my stride.

How do you know this?” he asked, his tone letting me know that he wasn't taking the situation lightly. Good. That was a good start. Although, he just had to ask the one question that I wasn't sure if he'd believe the answer to. I took a deep breath, shoving my hands into my jacket pockets.

I... I have a gift, I guess you can say,” I said finally, not meeting his gaze. I didn't want to see the disbelief in his eyes. “I can...occasionally see the future.” The words came out in a rush, as if I hoped he wouldn't catch them and laugh at me. He didn't laugh.

...Really?” he asked. I ran my hand through my hair, hiding my face from him slightly.

...Yeah. I... I have five lives to save, so can we hurry up a little?” I asked, quickening my pace. I could see him frown at the change of subject out of the corner of my eye, but I chose to ignore that. “D-do me a favor and call your friends. Now that I've changed one event, I'm not sure how things will play out, but I can guess. I need you do get at least Insoo, Chaejin, and JunQ to join you where we are going. I don't expect Gunwoo to show up. It would be nice, and it would make my job easier, but I think you know better than I do what he's going to end up doing. After all, that was his boss that I killed to save you, and they'll blame it on your boss. He'll go with the rest of the gang to confront them, maybe kill them. I have to make sure he stays alive.” I wasn't sure if he was keeping up with what I was saying, but I was mostly laying out the plan for myself.

Where are we going, then?” he asked.

A hide out. You're good with directions, right? You'll need to tell them how to get there,” I said. He pulled out his phone and started dialing. At least I had his trust. I figure he thought that if I had intended for him to be killed, I would have let him die back at that fancy restaurant. Or hotel, what ever it was, I wasn't paying much attention. I just knew I had to get there. “Here,” I said, pulling him into an old building just as the first person he called picked up. I let him do the talking as I moved the sheet of metal out of the way of a hidden entrance into a room that was blocked off everywhere else.

Yeah and if you could call Jinnie while I call JunQ, that would help. Please just trust me. I know, hyung. I'll let her explain when you all get here,” he was saying as I finally tuned back in.

I won't be here when they get here. I don't have time,” I said, looking up at him. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

You don't think they'll wait?” he asked.

The gang? No. I don't,” I said as I stared to leave. “Please stay put, keep the others here, and just...trust me.” I looked back at him, trying not to look sad. “Stay safe, okay?” And with that, I ran to where I knew the confrontation would happen if it happened.

I hated the feeling of racing against the clock. I hated the apprehension of not knowing if I'd make it in time. I had to put my trust in Seyong, that he would keep at least those three safe. I couldn't have them going after Gunwoo. That would complicate things. Which meant in turn, they had to trust me. I finally got an updated vision, taking into account the change I made. This time, it was a phone call, then it flipped to where Gunwoo's gang usually hung out, a meeting of the two gangs, fighting... I cursed. He was still in danger. But at least the others didn't show up. I tried to make sense of the phone call, because I didn't have the luxury of audio with the vision. Maybe one side called for them to meet? What would the terms be? What were they hoping to gain? Why would the gang Seyong was in decide to confront the other gang in the other gang's home territory? Maybe they thought they could win, or at least take down a bunch of the members before running away? I cursed again as I made my way to the meeting place. I had to trust many things. I had to trust that Seyong and the others would be safe where I left them, I had to trust in the accuracy of my vision, I had to trust that I could make it in time, I had to trust that I could help if I did make it in time. With one small change, everything could fall apart. I had to trust that it wouldn't.

I made it to the meeting place, crouching low as I heard voices from inside. The fighting either hadn't started, or just finished. I could only hope for the former. I slipped in and hid behind whatever miscellaneous things they kept stacked so high in there. No doubt they were illegal things. I peeked out from behind them and saw both gangs standing face to face. The atmosphere was tense enough to cut with a knife. The tall man that had been the dead boss's bodyguard stood in the middle of their gang with Gunwoo. The boss from the other gang stood near the back. He probably wanted to be there to witness the demise of his rival's gang, but didn't want to dirty his own hands. I stood up straight and put on an air of confidence as I walked out into no-man's-land, the empty space between the two gangs, making sure my back didn't face either side.

What's going on here, boys?” I asked loudly, hoping I sounded as arrogant as I had intended. A general murmur passed through both sides as they looked at me, completely dumbfounded. I smirked, shoving my hands into my pockets to hide the shaking, and to slip my switch blade into my sleeve. One of the men from Gunwoo's side spoke up finally.

What are you doing here, little girl?” he asked. I snorted.

Don't let looks deceive you, fool,” I said. “Now why don't you tell me what this is all about, huh?”

One of them killed our boss. We want revenge,” the bodyguard said. I rolled my eyes.

Of course you do. What else should I have expected from men?” I scoffed. “Although, they didn't kill your boss. I did.” I looked carefully at Gunwoo, who raised an eyebrow at me. “I did it to save your friend. If I hadn't, your friend would have died.” His expression went blank. I knew he didn't really have any loyalty to the gang, that his true loyalty rested with his friends. It was now up to fate as to whether he believed me or not.

More murmurs spread through his side, until the first man that spoke charged at me with a knife. I grabbed his attacking hand and flipped him over my shoulder, taking his knife and plunging it into his throat before catching another attacker in the jaw with a back kick out of reflex. My own switch blade made its way into my hand, and I shoved it into the second attacker's chest, yanking it out to meet the next one. My luck ran out, though, as it was the bodyguard that came next.

He was a trained fighter, unlike the others. And he was strong, to boot. I had gone to attack automatically, realizing too late who it was, and that I should have changed my approach. He grabbed my hand, holding me back easily. I tried spinning around and kicking him, but he barely moved at the impact. He caught my foot and flipped me onto my back. I felt the crack as his foot met my ribs. It didn't matter that I was a girl. I killed his boss. He was going to take his revenge. He lifted me up by the front of my jacket and punched me in the face, his fist connecting quite solidly with my cheekbone. I cursed as the blood dripped from my mouth. What possessed me to do this, in the first place? Now I was going to die. And it may not have even helped. I clenched my hands into fists, finally realizing that my knife was long gone, probably on the floor somewhere. I tried to push myself to my knees, but the bodyguard dragged me up again. I watched his fist draw back, but that was as far as he made it. His eyes widened as he started making gurgling noises, the blood flowing out of his mouth and around his shoulders. His hand slacked as he fell forward, releasing me. I barely managed to catch myself on the floor as I looked at the familiar hilt sticking out of the back of his neck. It was my switch blade. A hand appeared in front of my face, offering assistance. I looked up and smiled at Gunwoo.

My friend better verify your claims, girl,” he said as he lifted me up. I yanked my knife back out of the bodyguard's neck and faced the very angry remaining members of the gang. Luckily, their numbers had dwindled to maybe five or six. And I now had an ally. They came at us at once, and for the next few moments, I wasn't even sure what happened. It was a chaotic mess of limbs and metal. But for the most part, Gunwoo and I managed not to hit each other. For the most part. He did accidentally elbow me in the throat at one point, but I like to think he didn't notice that it was me he hit. Everything was in pain. Especially those broken ribs of mine. And boy did those guys use that against me. I think I got hit maybe eight or nine times in the ribs in that brawl. But they finally fell, thanks to Gunwoo. The kid was tough. And older than me and not really a kid, but whatever. I smiled at him as we stood, panting and bruised. And in some cases, cut and bleeding, but that was mostly me.

He had his back to the other gang. I barely caught the movement behind him before I dragged him to the floor. The bullet whizzed over us. I threw my knife with deadly accuracy at the man who dared to shoot at Gunwoo, and he fell to the floor with a strangled gasp. I reached out and grabbed one of the fallen men's knives and stood up, charging the other gang, who had considerably fewer numbers. I sliced down two men before I felt the stinging hot pain of a bullet in my leg. I dropped to the ground and glared at the boss, who smirked at me. He really shouldn't have stuck around. With blinding speed, the borrowed knife wedged into his throat. The remaining four men attacked at once. Gunwoo was by my side in an instant, a plank of wood in his hands as he beat down the idiots that came near. The last man dropped his weapon and fled, like a dog with its tail between its legs. Gunwoo plopped down beside me, still breathing heavily, as was I. For a moment, neither of us said anything. I found myself staring at him. I did it. I saved him. I saved them. All of them. I thought for sure I'd die, or that I'd fail. But I did it. Before I could stop myself, I started laughing. It hurt, thanks to the broken ribs, but I didn't care. I did it.

Yah, what are you laughing at? You look like a crazy person,” Gunwoo finally said, after staring at me for a few moments. I leaned against him, because supporting myself was getting more difficult by the second. I couldn't help smiling, though, as I answered.

I just... I'm so glad you're alive,” I said softly. He raised an eyebrow at me, but didn't push me off of him. “You were supposed to die. You all were. But I couldn't let that happen.”

What are you talking about?” he asked. I struggled to sit up and face him, reaching over and pulling his head until his forehead touched mine.

It's so much easier just to show you what was supposed to happen,” I muttered, letting the images from the first vision play. Seyong dying by Gunwoo's boss's hand as the assassination attempt failed. Gunwoo going against his boss to get revenge on his fallen friend. Insoo, JunQ, and Chaejin showing up to help, because one man alone against an entire gang doesn't hold the best of odds. Gunwoo getting shot. Insoo fighting to avenge both of his friends. JunQ dying to protect Insoo. Chaejin getting stabbed even though he wasn't fighting. Insoo's neck getting snapped. That heartbreaking scene where Chaejin's phone was ringing and it was his mother. That tear jerking moment that decided that I was going to change fate as Chaejin reached for his phone, begging for his mother. Chaejin was just a kid. I couldn't let that happen. Not to any of them. The images stopped playing, and I leaned against Gunwoo for support again.

Wh-what was that?” Gunwoo asked.

The future as of earlier today before I went and screwed it all up,” I said. “Now it's just a scenario that could have happened but didn't.” , my vision was starting to fade.

How did...how did you...?” I shrugged at his question.

Long story. Unbelievable,” I muttered. He looked down at me.

, we should get you to a hospital,” he said, standing up and reaching down to pick me up. I shook my head and tried to push his hands away.

I don't have the money,” I said. “Besides, I'm fine, see?” I tried to stand up, wincing. I barely managed to get to my feet before I started to fall again. He caught me and rolled his eyes.

Don't be stubborn, stupid,” he said, maneuvering until I was situated on his back. I didn't even have the strength to argue with him. I heard his phone ring, and his soft “Hello?” as he answered. There was quite a bit of talking on the other side, and I barely caught the words “that girl” and “hospital” out of Gunwoo's mouth before I passed out.

 

When I woke up, I was surrounded by white. At first, I thought maybe I had really died after all. But then the pain told me otherwise. I groaned and sat up, trying to get my barrings...and to figure out if I could escape or not. Unfortunately, I had five human obstacles in my way. I stared at the dirty blond haired obstacle, who was standing by the door.

I thought I told you I didn't have any money?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. He shrugged and gestured at the black haired boy sitting beside the hospital bed I was in. I looked at Seyong expectantly. He shyly looked away from me, rubbing the back of his head.

I-I sold the watch that the boss gave me before sending me to kill Gunwoo's boss,” he muttered.

You mean before he sent you to your death? You had to realize that was the real goal behind the request, right? That man... He may have been a gang boss, but he wasn't a slouch,” I said, feeling my anger rise just at the thought of the two dishonest men. I looked over at him. “Why would you sell your watch?”

To pay for your hospital bills,” he said, his face starting to turn some kind of red.

Idiot,” I said sharply.

I-I was going to sell it anyways!”

You should have used the money for the five of you, then.”

And leave you to die?”

Why should you care?”

The same reason you risked your life to save us!” I stared at him, shocked at the volume his voice had reached. I hadn't expected him to get so worked up about it. I tilted my head at him.

Who am I, Seyong?” I asked softly.

You're Sunny.”

No, I mean, who am I?” Gunwoo walked over and leaned forward until his face as inches from mine.

You're the idiot girl who took on two gangs and managed to live. You're the idiot girl who strode out between two gangs that were about to go to war and admitted to killing one side's boss. You're the idiot girl who almost died to protect five people she doesn't know. Now tell me, why did you do that?” he asked, his voice low. I let my gaze drift over to Chaejin.

I couldn't let that heartbreaking scenario happen. You all have your whole lives ahead of you. There are so many things that you haven't gotten to experience yet,” I said, rooting around in my head for an explanation. Chaejin looked back and forth between me and Gunwoo. Seyong and Insoo glanced at each other. Everyone was a little confused. Gunwoo wasn't phased.

What about them? Didn't they still have things to experience? Didn't they have more of their lives ahead of them?” he asked.

They were already stained. All they had left for them was gang life until they died. The two of you... It wasn't too late. Promise me that you won't get mixed up in gangs ever again,” I said, looking the two of them in the eyes in turn.

What if we do?” Seyong asked, trying to look a little smug.

I'll track your asses down and beat you myself,” I said with a shrug.

Oh yeah, like I'm scared of a little girl,” Seyong said with a laugh. Gunwoo raised an eyebrow at him.

She may be harmless in her current state, but I'd watch out once she recovers. She's a fiery little thing,” he said. Seyong stopped laughing and stared at me. I got the impression that Gunwoo didn't joke about these things often. I looked up at Gunwoo.

So it's a promise, then?” I prompted. He stared at me, glanced around at the rest of the boys, and turned his attention back to me.

Kind of. What would you say if we told you that we wanted to start our own gang?”

You're an idiot.”

Uh-uh, hear me out. We want to be a gang that protects people that can't protect themselves. We want to help people,” he said. I merely blinked at him.

All threats aside, why do you feel the need to get my approval?” I asked. Seyong pushed the older boy out of the way and sat down on the side of the hospital bed.

Would you want to join us?” he asked, looking hopeful.

Why would you want a little girl like me?” I asked, turning his prior words against him a little.

Because you can see the future.”

And you can hold your own in a fight pretty well.”

And you saved us.” I glanced over at the new addition to the conversation. Chaejin looked at me with those big, hopeful eyes of his. I glanced at the other two boys, as well, and they were smiling at me. Welcoming me. For a moment, I considered it.

I suppose I should, even if it's just to keep you guys out of trouble,” I said. I barely had the sentence out of my mouth before Seyong threw his arms around me with a cheer. I hissed in pain. “The ribs, the ribs,” I managed to force through gritted teeth. He pulled away quickly, his face turning pink again.

S-sorry,” he said. I poked him in he face and smiled at him.

What are we going to call ourselves?” I asked, looking around at them. Gunwoo smiled.

What about MYNAME?”