Chapter 3

We're Sorry, Hyuk

 

“Hyung…” he wheezed. He opened his eyes and catch N’s and Ravi’s empty eyes. “Liar.” Hyuk managed to choke out before he finally lost his conscious. Hongbin panicked and hold him even tighter and lightly shook him. Afraid that he might break the fragile body even more.

 

 “Hyuk-ah! HYUK-AH!!” he cried.

 

Leo said nothing more; he turned to Hyuk and scooped him into his arms. Hongbin refused to let him go, but Leo calmly persuaded him.

 

“It’s okay Hongbin… he’ll be alright. Let’s take him into his bedroom…” Leo said, voice hoarse, with short breath after inhaling the poisonous smell. He swore he could still feel his throat burning. Hongbin reluctantly let him go and helped Leo who was standing up with motionless Hyuk in his arms.

 

N and Ravi felt a dreadful feeling in their stomach as they ran to Hyuk. They saw Hyuk long legs that are swinging back and forth while Leo carried him. They saw Hyuk’s eyes that are tightly shut as if it would never open again. They saw how miserable the others looked like. They saw how Hongbin kept his body close to Leo so that he can hold onto Hyuk’s hand and pressed his palm onto his cheek and forehead as if making sure he is still in this world.

 

“Hyukkie…” N called. He reached his hand to his brother tears stained cheek but was stopped with a hand. Immediately stopping in his track.

 

N looked to his right, and met eyes with Ken. He can saw disappointment in his brother’s eyes. “Don’t touch him,” Ken said curtly. N never thought it’d hurt so much to be told off like that. He pulled back his hand, letting it fall on his side.

 

Ravi walked to Hongbin’s side and throws his hand onto his twin and best friend’s shoulder. But Hongbin simply shook him off. Obviously avoiding his touch.

 

“Just, ugh, just not now, get lost” Hongbin said, eyes on Hyuk. He hiccupped because of too much crying. Ravi stared blankly, eyes directed to Leo’s back, the hyung carrying Hyuk.

 

 N and Ravi stood quietly side-by-side, blanking until Ken purposely shoved them with his shoulder.

 

“Look at what you guys have done.” He menacingly said. His eyes turned into slits. “Don’t you feel disgusting?” Ken shook his head. “I am VERY disappointed in you guys. How could you? How could your anger take the best of you? I thought we promised him! We promised him that we would take better care of him. We said that we would protect him, and never let him feel the pain again! What if he doesn’t trust us anymore?! What will you do then?! Huh?!” he rants.

 

“Ken…” N said while grabbing one of Ken’s wrists. Unfortunately grabs his injured wrist. He knew Ken would never listen to him after what happened, so he held his hand tightly.

 

 “AH!” Ken groaned in pain. Shocked by the unusual response, N immediately let go of his brother’s wrist. He saw how his hand is twisted in a weird way. Ravi softly touched it. “What’s wrong hyung?” partly confused why does his hand twisted. Partly scared that he and N might be the cause.

 

Ken rolled his eyes. “Tch, ask yourself.” Ken is the rarely one to get mad or irritated, since it’ll be very dangerous if he does.

 

The way he responded to the question and newfound cold demeanor took N and Ravi by surprise. Deep in their heart they fear Ken the most if he’s mad. Ravi and N stayed quiet when Ken silently stared at them. Seeing the shocked expressions from his brothers, Ken sighed. “Just try to sort this out before Hyuk wakes up okay?”

 

No answer from the two scolded.

 

Ken was tired and mad; he only looked down and turned away. But stopped when his brother finally spoke to him again.

 

“Can we see him first, uhm… now?” a deep voice belonged to Ravi asked.

 

Ken shook his head. “No.” he said sternly and almost immediately. “Not now, when he wakes up”. After that Ken walked away, but stopped again in the middle of the stairs “Well that is IF he wakes up. He coughed blood and on the verge of dying” Ken coldly said.

 

Ken took a few steps but stop yet again. He whipped his head to see his brother’s faces. “And I swear if he doesn’t wake up, I’m going to torture you guys to death.” He said, then walks away probably going to check up on Hyuk.

 

Each Hyde is different. Hyde is a psychopath, and each one of them has different way of killing. Most of them are pretty decent. Hongbin’s way (or type) is to poison the person. He charmed the person and unknowingly the person would be reaching for the poison. Ken’s would be some kind of brainwashing. It’s pretty torturous because the target would’ve kept hearing voices in his/ her head. N gives off this weird scent, it may crush a normal person’s lungs, and Hyuk is no exception. Leo’s way is pretty special. His gaze can actually kill people. But only happens if his pupil turns white. How it works, still a mystery. The target's brain would stop working the moment Leo's gaze pierced the soul. After that, the heart stopped working, a sudden death. In Ravi’s case, he’s pretty classic, he kills people with the most barbaric way possible. 

 

N stood blankly, still trying to process Ken’s words. Ravi stood quietly beside him. After both of them can’t hear Ken’s footsteps anymore, N fell onto his knees, slumped. Trickle of tears started to rush out from his eyes, onto his lap. Ravi quietly sat beside him, one hand hugging N’s waist tightly.

 

N can’t stop the tears from his eyes. It streamed down his face, and watching the oldest brother cry, made Ravi’s heart hurt. N sobbed, and that is when Ravi started to cry too. N brought his hands to his face, sobbing and trying to cover his face.

 

 After a few minutes of silence, only sobs was heard, N let out his first sentence.

 

“It’s my fault…” he whimpered “It’s is all my fault. I hurt Hyuk, I hurt him, oh my god, what have I done?” he sobbed

 

Ravi roughly wiped his tears and brought N into a hug. “No hyung, this is not your fault. It’s mine I should have known better than to explode. I should’ve cared more about your feelings. I know it’s been hard for you this week.” He said, while making comforting circular motion on his brother’s back. Ravi buried his face into N’s neck, trying to get some comfort from his brother too.

 

N was quiet for a while. He put his arms around Ravi’s waist before continuing, “It’s our fault Ravi… we hurt him, we hurt Hyuk, our Hyukkie…” he said while he raised his hand to caress Ravi’s hair.

 

Ravi took a deep breath before answering him. “Yeah hyung, I know. And I’m so, so sorry for being mad earlier. I was so angry at her, I’m so sorry for taking it out on you…” Ravi looked down. N leaned back from the hug. He softly raised Ravi’s chin to meet his eyes. “I understand… I know how it feels. But the problem is how are we supposed to apologize to Hyuk.” Ravi nodded.

 

N smiled softly. N loves brothers equally, but to Hyuk the feeling is different. For N, Hyuk is not only his brother; Hyuk is his baby, his son. And he can’t help to baby him, or to be so protective over him. Also because he can’t help to lose another brother, his heart won’t be able to take it.