School Reunion

Summer Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After settling my luggage at my mother’s house, I took a taxi to my old high school. I looked to the window, observing the streets. Some stores were still there, some were closed, and the rest were stores that I was unfamiliar with.

A good 10 minutes later, the taxi arrived in front of a big, white building with lots of windows.

 

“Agassi, we’re here,” the driver called me from the driver’s seat.

I took my purse from my bag, taking out some Korean won and gave it to the driver before getting out from the taxi.

It’s summer vacation, so no students were seen wandering around the building, or studying in the classrooms. Walking to the entrance door, I felt nervous all of a sudden. I never contacted any of my high school friends since I went abroad to study. Taking a deep breath, I entered the school building.

 

As I was walking down the hallway, I noticed that not a lot has changed. The walls still have some art work the students from six years ago made, the only difference in those walls were that there were new art works made by students after us hung on the wall.

I felt nostalgic after passing classroom over classroom. I remembered the first day I went to high school, playing and joking with friends, school trips, the stress I felt when we were about to take the final exams, graduation day, and, of course, the days when I used to be beside him. A ghost of a smile appeared as I remembered each and every memory.

I stopped my steps as soon as I face the end of the corridor, which was the door to the school hall. Opening the door, I was surprised that a lot held to their promise. My eyes were greeted with about 60 people scattered all over the hall. Some were sitting at the bleachers while the rest stood in small groups, conversing with a glass of drink in hand.

 

“Yah, Seo Joohyun! Is that you?”

 

I turned around to see someone my age wearing a black mini dress and a pair of black Louboutin heels. I swear, everything she wore was as if ripped off from a high-end fashion magazine. And were those the newest Tiffany pieces I just saw?

She looked like a celebrity ready for the red carpet. And not to mention her smooth-looking black hair that was styled in natural curls perfectly. Looking down to my rather plain clothes and slightly messy hair, I suddenly felt small. But, wait, her face seemed familiar to me…

 

“Im Yoona!” I shouted back, slightly running towards my high school best friend to give her a bear hug.

“The hell? Six years and now you look like a freaking celebrity!” I said, after pulling off from the hug.

“That’s because I am,” she said proudly.

“Whoa, what?” I asked, flabbergasted.

 

Yoona folded her hands and pouted. “Sheesh, little miss smarty-pants is too busy to look up for some update of her own best friend?” she whined.

“Wait, why me?” I defended. “It’s your fault I can’t find your SNS accounts.”

“I don’t have any. What would the media do if they find my personal stuff? Scandals, man!”

I laughed. “Fine. By the way, what are you? An actress?” I asked.

“Yep,” Yoona nodded. “I went to Seoul and debuted not long after you left.”

 

Ha. I knew she got talent in the acting department. Despite knowing her so well, I almost always fell for her scheming acts.

“So what about you?” Yoona nudged my side, asking me back.

“Oh, you know, just the usual. Helping people getting a divorce and stuff,” I answered.

“Wait, you’re a divorce lawyer? I thought you wanted to be an environmental one.”

“Things change.” I forced back a grin, not wanting to discuss about it.

 

Our conversation was disturbed when a man on his forties went up to the podium. Ah, I think it was Mr. Kang, judging from his ‘ordinary man’ look.

“Hello and welcome to Shinhwa High School’s Class of 2007 reunion!” he exclaimed enthusiastically and every one of us cheered.

And then he started to begin his speech when that person popped to my mind once again. My eyes began to wander around the hall while Mr. Kang’s speech started to sound like incoherent sounds, as I was not focused to listen to it anymore.

 

I looked around, scanning my former school mates one by one. Wow, everyone looked like they’ve lived decent so far. Some brought people I had never seen before; probably their lovers. I looked at practically every inch of the room, but he’s not there. Perhaps I was right. He didn’t come to the reunion.

“Now let’s cheer for our school’s pride, the top global stars CNBLUE!”

Mr. Kang’s loud shout once again distracted me from my search. Sheesh, our P.E teacher never changed. Well, at least his voice didn’t.

 

Then three men dressed in printed t-shirts, black blazers and jeans came up to the podium, each occupying the instruments that was already prepared beforehand.

The tallest from the three grabbed the bass, starting to tune it. The palest of them occupied the centre of the stage, standing before the microphone with an electric guitar in hand. The last one made himself comfortable with the drums.

What you all just saw is CNBLUE, our school band back in the days. I guess they made it to real life, more than expected.

 

Everyone cheered as they began to play a pop-rock song, a song I recognized as something that was played in the taxi’s radio earlier. But it sounded… different. Jonghyun, the pale guy who looked like a vampire, has a softer and calmer voice than the one I listened to at the radio. The other voice was more powerful. To describe it, Jonghyun suits ballads better, but the other voice suits upbeat songs better.

The song ended and the tallest of the three, Jungshin, started to speak from his microphone, “Some of you guys might’ve reali

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter