Prologue: Hi's Recording Session

Shakespeare's Korean Story

"Unnnniiiieee~" I heard Hi whine, the sound amplified throughout the room as she spoke through the microphone, crossing her arms where she was standing inside the recording booth. 

"Just one more time, then I promise we'll be done." I smiled to her, setting up the computer to record yet another take of Lee Hi's upcoming single. 

"You said that like seven times ago!!" She stomped her foot, pouting. Ugh, here we go.

"Hi.." This was the problem with being best friends with those you worked with, that is, you didn't want to be mean to them and, therefore, weren't able to get the job done as fast as you wanted to.

"Unnie..." She mimicked me. I let out a chuckle and she broke her pout, a small smile forming. 

"One more time, arasso?" I opened the file on my computer. "Then you can walk straight out of the booth, no matter how much I protest."

She let out a dramatic sigh. "Fine," she said as she adjusted her headphones. She let out a couple notes to warm up then nodded in my direction, signaling for me to start. The music started and I felt myself turn into producer mode. Lee Hi hit her notes perfectly, as usual, leaving me little work to do in the range of editing, a fact that I was always grateful for. She hit the last note, taking off her headphones before the music even ended, and made her way out of the booth, pushing open the sound proof doors with a huff. "I swear, unnie, you never let me take a break!"

"You got plenty of breaks, thank you!" I stuck my tongue out at her, to which she replied by sticking her tongue out at me. "Besides, would you rather publish something you approve of 100%, or something you feel is only worth 80%?" She shrugged, grabbing a bottle of water from the mini fridge in the corner. I had arrived at YG as an intern the year before Hi's debut as a solo artist, put instantly to work on developing her song '1, 2, 3, 4,' meaning I had been here for over two years already. After about a year interning and finishing school, YG had offered me a job, to which I immediately accepted. Hi and I had become close, usually the only two girls during a recording session, despite me being two years her senior. 

"Yah, unnie," Hi said after taking a sip of her water. "Did you hear about the social this year?"

I rolled my eyes and nodded. About five years ago, the Big Three (JYP, YG, and SM) decided that, for some odd reason, it'd be a great idea to get together once every year with other prominent labels and have some sort of social gathering. The three CEO's would meet up, talk, and laugh like they were best friends even though everyone knew they just wanted to rip each other's heads off. I had managed to get out of it the past three years, but this year didn't look so lucky, as I was just announced to be a part of the team working on G-Dragon's new album. A fact that entitled me to an appearance at this party, something made very clear by YG.

"Did you hear what this year's theme is?" Hi was practically bouncing in her chair in excitement, as this was the first time she was invited to go. I rolled my eyes and nodded again. Hi waved her hands in the air out of pure glee, letting out a little shout of joy. She, apparently, was going to have a blast at this little shindig. For me, it was another story. To me, the theme this year was borderline ridiculous mixed in with a pinch of embarrassing. I gave out a big sigh, running my hand through my hair.

"Yep, a masquerade."