Hiding Place

Hiding Place

            The evening sun was shining on them through the leaves on the trees above, painting their faces with messy patterns of light and shadow. They were walking hand in hand, enjoying the warmth that had finally set in for the year. Their shoes made quiet, crunching noises in the pebbles below them as they walked. Other than that, it was quiet. The park they were in was big, drowning the sounds of the busy city around them.
            Grinning, Kiseop squeezed Eli’s hand. Eli squeezed back. Kiseop squeezed again.
            “What is it?” Eli asked him, chuckling at the silly game.
            “We never do anything,” Kiseop replied, eyes focused on the road ahead. At that, Eli frowned.
            “What do you mean we don’t do anything?” Eli asked. “We’re doing something right now, we’re out for a walk.” Kiseop looked at him, chuckling. He didn’t answer.
            “No, seriously, Kiseop,” Eli continued after a little pause. “What do you mean?” Kiseop shrugged, still grinning.
            “If you don’t tell me, you might have to cook dinner for yourself,” Eli threatened playfully. Kiseop chuckled quietly, the look on his face mischievous.
            “I mean we never do anything different,” he explained. “We always just do the same things. Go to cafés, go on random walks, watch movies and play video games, but we never do anything extraordinary. Anything exciting.” Eli’s grin faded.
            “Are you bored with me?” he asked seriously. Kiseop chuckled again, squeezing his hand a little tighter this time. They kept walking for a minute in silence.
            “You’re it,” Kiseop yelled all of a sudden, letting go if Eli’s hand and running as fast as he could away from the road, disappearing between the trees. It took Eli a short moment to realize what had happened before he grinned, chasing after his boyfriend as fast as his legs would allow him to.
            “Don’t make me angry,” he laughed, already panting. The trees and bushes around him painted the entire world green. Inside of this green world, all he had to focus on was Kiseop. He didn’t feel like he had any other things to care about in that moment. The back of Kiseop’s white shirt was the only thing that wasn’t green or a dirty brown in here, so it was easy enough to keep his eyes focused on him. He tried to speed up, not wanting Kiseop to be able to for being slow. The white shirt came closer and closer. A drop of sweat made its way down Eli’s temple.
            Kiseop glanced over his shoulder quickly, squealing desperately when he saw how close Eli was. There was an open mouthed smile on Kiseop’s face, and he could feel his energy starting to run out. Eli’s panting was easy to hear behind him, and it drove him on the last few feet before he could feel Eli’s hand grab his shirt. He whined loudly, trying to get free and keep running, but it was too late. Eli grabbed his arm as well, holding him back from going any further. They were both panting loudly. Eli was still holding onto Kiseop’s arm, afraid he’d start running again. Kiseop, however, didn’t plan on running anymore. He was struggling to catch his breath, leaning forward to let his hands rest on his knees.
            Other than their panting, there was silence. The breathlessness wasn’t foreign to any of them. It was a dear old friend, welcomed by them both.
            “What was that about?” Eli asked after a while, letting go of Kiseop’s arm. Kiseop stood up properly to smile at Eli, stepping closer to wrap his arms around him.
            “Wasn’t it nice?” he asked. Eli shook his head, laughing.
            “You’re crazy,” he stated, pressing a kiss against Kiseop’s lips. Kiseop giggled, squeezing Eli lightly in his grip.
            “Crazy,” Kiseop repeated. “Don’t you like playing tag?”
            “I do,” Eli admitted. “It was just a bit random.”
            “If you don’t like people who do random, silly stuff, then why are you dating me?” Kiseop challenged. Eli laughed, letting go of Kiseop and taking a step back, still a bit breathless.
            “Yeah, you’ve got a point there,” he admitted. “It doesn’t make you any less attractive to me.”
            “Glad it doesn’t,” Kiseop smiled. “But it’s your turn to come up with something now.” Eli grinned, taking a moment to think about it.
            “I can carry you on my back once I’m not about to die from exhaustion,” he joked. “That good enough?” Kiseop clapped his hands in amusement, patting Eli’s shoulder.
            “Take your time, handsome,” he giggled. Eli shook his head.
            “I think I’m alright, it’s not like you’re terribly heavy.” He turned around and bent his knees slightly, allowing Kiseop to make himself comfortable, which he did without hesitating. His arms wrapped around Eli’s shoulders and gave him a wet peck on the cheek.
            “Go,” he insisted.
            “Impatient, aren’t we?” Eli chuckled, starting to walk once he had secured his arms under Kiseop to hold him in place. Kiseop let himself relax, enjoying the feeling of Eli’s body pressed close to his own. Sometimes it was nice to simply be close to him, enjoying being able to feel each other’s heartbeat. He placed his hand on Eli’s chest for a moment, checking if he could feel anything.
            “Yep, you’re alive,” he stated, causing Eli to snort.
            “Thanks, I wasn’t quite sure of that.”
            “Faster,” Kiseop begged impatiently. Eli shook his head, not speeding up even a bit.
            “I ran because of you just moments go, not going to do it again right now.” Kiseop pouted.
            “Lazy ,” he joked.
            “Yeah, I am,” Eli agreed. “Want me to take you back to the road?”
            “No, stay in here,” Kiseop replied. He liked the forest with all the green, and he liked the fact that no one could see them. They were all alone in their own small world, just being together. It was rare that they had moments like this outside of their apartments. Kiseop had missed it.
            “It’s nice to be in here, don’t you think?” Kiseop asked after a few minutes of silence. Eli nodded.
             “It’s quiet, even in the middle of Seoul. I like that.” Silence again. They went on without aiming for anywhere specific. Just walking. Kiseop had caught his breath, enjoying being able to relax and nuzzle his nose against Eli’s neck.
            “You’re strong,” he murmured. Eli smiled at him, jumping slightly to get him up a bit higher on his back again.
            “Why are you saying that? You’re strong as well.”
            “Not as strong as you. I couldn’t carry you like this for very long.”
            “I’m heavier,” Eli pointed out. “And you don’t have to carry me, I can walk. Unlike you, you lazy ,” he added, laughing. Kiseop whined quietly, slapping his hand against Eli’s chest.
            “I’m not lazy, I just like being carried,” he complained.
            “Isn’t that kind of the same?”
            “No, it’s not.”
            “Prove it.”
            “How?”
            “Not my problem.”
            “I could walk if I wanted to, but I don’t.”
            “If you say so.”
            “I do.” Silence again. Eli walked on without complaining, not wanting Kiseop to think he was too heavy for him. The sun was setting, but the light had only dimmed slightly. It was still easy to see where they were going.
            “I want to climb a tree,” Kiseop said after a while. Eli sighed.
            “More randomness. What makes you think my legs want to cooperate right now?”
            “Lazy .”
            “I’m not.”
            “I know. Then climb a tree with me. There’s got to be just a bit of muscle in those thighs somewhere,” he chuckled. Eli stopped walking, grinning as he set Kiseop down.
            “Pick a tree,” he said. “There are enough of them in here.” Kiseop took a few minutes to wander around, looking for a tree that looked fit for climbing.
            “This one,” he said after a while, pointing at a tree that looked like it wouldn’t snap as soon as they touched it.
            “I’ll go first so you can admire my ,” Kiseop stated matter-of-factly. Eli laughed at him, patting said when Kiseop started climbing.
            “I’ll make sure to enjoy the view.” He climbed the tree quickly after Kiseop, managing to stay right behind him even though his legs were a bit sore. It didn’t really matter to him right now. Up they went, until they found a branch thick enough to carry them both. His arms shaking slightly, Kiseop straddled it and made sure there was space behind him for Eli to do the same. There were plenty of branches to hold onto, and even a few to support their feet as they sat there. Kiseop was leaning back against Eli’s chest, enjoying how Eli held him from behind.
            “It’s not like the forest looks much different from up here,” Kiseop commented.
            “True,” Eli replied. He nuzzled his nose against the back of Kiseop’s head, taking on the subtle smell of his skin and the even more subtle smell of his shampoo.
            “What are you doing?” Kiseop laughed.
            “Smelling you,” Eli replied honestly. Kiseop whined quietly.
            “Don’t do that, it’s silly.”
            “And climbing a tree isn’t?”
            “Maybe a bit. But it’s nice up here, don’t you think?”
            “I like being wherever you are.”
            “That’s really sweet, Eli.” Kiseop’s voice was soft. He felt relaxed even though they were up so high. He could feel Eli’s heartbeat against his back, and he noticed that he could smell the other man’s cologne as well. He was so used to that smell by now that he hadn’t really noticed it earlier.
            “But it’s a bit cheesy,” he grinned after a little while. Eli squeezed him gently, chuckling at him.
            “You don’t mind,” he said.
            “Not really.”
            “Knew it.”
            “I expected you to.” Eli grinned, ruffling Kiseop’s hair gently.
            “You’re cheeky, aren’t you?”
            “Always for you, baby,” Kiseop laughed. There was silence for a bit again, the only sound being the wind making the leaves rattle somewhere above them.
            “When do you plan on letting me go home?” Eli asked, and Kiseop shrugged.
            “When you want to. But why do you ask? Do you mind being here?”
            “It’s getting dark,” Eli pointed out. Kiseop giggled at him, turning his head to press a wet kiss on Eli’s cheek.
            “Are you afraid of the dark?” he teased, earning a snort from the man behind him.
            “No, but I know someone else here who is.”
            “I’m not scared when you’re here.” Silence again. It was indeed getting darker; the green around them was turning less bright as the light of the sun faded. If they climbed down and headed home now, maybe they’d make it back to Eli’s apartment before the darkness really kicked in. It was getting cold, too. Kiseop shivered, and Eli couldn’t help but notice with how close they were sitting.
            “Are you freezing, baby?” he asked, moving his hands to rub Kiseop’s arms to make him a little warmer. Kiseop smiled at Eli’s concern. He was always this way around Kiseop; worrying about if he was all right. It was sweet of him, Kiseop thought.
            “A bit,” he replied honestly. “We can go home, if you want to.” Eli nodded even though Kiseop couldn’t see it.
            “Let’s go home then,” Eli said, beginning to wiggle into a position that’d allow him to climb down. Kiseop turned around to look at him, giggling softly.
            “Take care,” he said.
            “You too.”
            “I know you’ll catch me if I fall,” Kiseop joked, causing Eli to snort again.
            “Sure,” he joked back. Kiseop pouted.
            “I thought you’d protect me,” he said, making his voice sound really hurt.
            “You big baby,” Eli sighed with a smile, just as he set both legs on the ground. He looked up at Kiseop, holding his arms out.
            “Jump, I’ll catch you.” Kiseop looked down at him, his face serious. He was sitting on one of the branches at the bottom of the tree.
            “You’re not kidding me this time, are you?” he asked. Eli laughed, shaking his head.
            “Why would I want to hurt you?” Kiseop smiled, reaching out for Eli and let himself fall forward, landing in Eli’s arms. Just as Eli had promised, he landed softly on the ground. Kiseop kept holding onto him, pressing his lips to Eli’s nose.
            “Thank you, my knight in shining armour,” he said teasingly. Eli grinned at him.
            “I’ll always save my princess.” Kiseop pulled back, laughing at Eli as he punched his shoulder playfully.
            “I’m just as much of a man as you are.” Eli shrugged, still grinning.
            “I’m the one carrying you around,” he pointed out, causing Kiseop to pout at him again.
            “That doesn’t make me less of a man.”
            “Of course it doesn’t, baby. Come on, let’s head home.” Eli took Kiseop’s hand pulling the redhead with him ad he headed home.
            “It’s a miracle if we can find the city, as far as you ran into the forest,” Eli said. Kiseop giggled.
            “We’ll make it.”
            “Probably.” They walked hand in hand until they could see the lights from the city around them, the trees no longer covering them. Entering the ocean of light and sound, they kept on walking, not stopping before they were at Eli’s front door. They’d made it back home after their little adventure. Kiseop smiled when Eli unlocked the door, not for anyone, just because he was happy. Yep, he’d found the one for him. The one that could make him laugh over little, insignificant things that others wouldn’t even notice. With his favourite rapper, everything was oddly interesting. Every day was a little adventure of its own.