The Scent of Happiness

The Scent of Happiness
Please, enjoy your reading~
 
 
 
 
 
 
At that time, I was 23 years old. Living life as usual –part time job in a pizza restaurant, do the college, collect money little by little by selling some of my paintings, and so on. I do not look like Siwon, my bestfriend, whic included in a popular-guy type because of his very handsome face, his wealthy appearance, and his genius brain. And yeah, I'm just a student with music as my major. But I really love one thing called, painting. No, I'm not an artist.
 
 
 
 
Did I just say painting? Yeah, painting has already become the part of my life, since.. 1991. My father is a well-known artist, and my mother does too. My parents were against me when they knew I majored in music. But finally, they told me that it's allright if I majored in music, with two conditions: I have to pay college by myself and I have to continue my hobby that is derived from my parents, painting. Actually that's not a problem for me.
 
 
 
 
I really am happy when one of my paintings displayed on the exhibition held by my parents. It was just a simple painting of a woman beautifully play her violin in a meadow, I made it for approximately two months. The exhibition attracted quite a lot of visitors. 
 
 
 
 
And there was when I met her.
 
 
 
 
The woman with her shining brown hair was the person standing all over the time in front of my painting. I wonder what she was doing at that time, she was just stood in front of my painting with a thin smile creeped on her face and she put her index finger on her chin. Did she like my painting?
 
 
 
 
I approached her when I'm in the verge of knowing why she not moved even a little bit aside into other paintings. When I was right on her left side, I ventured to ask her, "Hey. It seems like you're fond of my painting. Do you like it?" She turned her head and smile as her answer for my question. God, is this that-cheesy-thingy called love at first sight? She is.. totally perfect. It feels like her round eyes was trying to hypnotized me to keep looking at her beautiful face, her cute nose, her eye-catching cheeks, and her kissable lips, aish! All of it was giving me an order to kiss her right away!
 
 
 
 
She bowed properly and left the exhibition after that. I had a small nod as my reply. Yaish! I hadn't even asked her name at that time.
 
 
 
 
Day by day, I still hadn't seen her. Almost in a state of surrender, I told Siwon about the thing happened in exhibition. Did you know what he says? He only said, "Someday, you'll meet her, just believe me." And I don't know why I believe in his words.
 
 
 
***
 
 
One day, I was sitting uneasy in Siwon's big living room. Play some video games with him, I meant. I still play the game when Siwon had his game paused and he greeted someone who has just entered the living room.
 
 
 
 
"Oh? Youngie-ah? You're home early." And somehow I also stop my game just to know who that person is.
 
 
My heart was beating uncontrollably when I saw who the person is. She was there. Standing calmly. Holding her violin bag.
 
 
The exhibiton woman.
 
She only wore a white shirt, covered with a brown sweater, and a cute denim hotpants, showed off her slender legs.
 
 
Again, she was just smiling, that's a reply for Siwon's question. A moment later, she saw me and bowed to me. Siwon ruffled her hair and told her to go to her room. Wait, what's their relationship?
 
 
"H-hyung.. who was that?" I asked him.
 
 
Siwon smiled and answered my question, "She's my sister, my little sister."
 
 
I looked at him in disbelief, shocked. That woman is his sister?! In fact, I have never seen her before.
 
 
 
 
"Are you sure she's your s-sister, Hyung?" Siwon laughed and patted my back jokingly. I'm so sure he felt slightly weird with my question. "Of course she is my sister! Why? Do you.. like her?" I looked at him with a horror expression adorned my face and give him an I-like-her?-Hahaha-Impossible stare.
 
 
"Oh! And recently, Sooyoung just completed her music school in Vienna, if that's the thing playing in your mind," added him later. Aah.. No wonder I never saw her.
 
 
***
 
 
Day after day, I visited Siwon's house more often, just to see her. Her name is Sooyoung, Choi Sooyoung, my bestfriend's sister. I didn't know any other way to see Sooyoung, so yeah, probably the only way to see her is visiting Siwon's home. Sooyoung always come home at 4 p.m. Sometimes early, sometimes later. Sometimes I couldn't see her gorgeous smile. And you know what? Siwon began to suspect my behavior. 
 
 
Until, I told Siwon that I've loved his sister. He didn't look surprised, probably he already knew that I like, no, love Sooyoung from the beginning. Siwon just smiled when he heard my story, then he told me something I didn't know.
 
 
"Something’s gone wrong?"
 
 
"No, there's nothing wrong. But.."
 
 
"But what?"
 
 
"There's something.. you have to know.."
 
 
"What? Just tell me."
 
 
Siwon remained silent.
 
 
"What, hyung?"
 
 
 
 
"Sooyoung is a mute."
 
 
 
 
I'm speechless.
 
 
 
 
"Yes, she is a mute. She suffered a horrific accident 5 years ago. She hit her head very hard that was causing some of her speaking nerve broken. She had to undergo a surgery if she wants to have her voice back. But, she hadn't ready yet to undergo that surgery.."
 
 
Again, I looked at him in disbelief. Is that why Sooyoung never reply other people questions by words?  Is that why Sooyoung will just smile and bow to me when I'm at her home? Is that the reason Sooyoung kept smiling all over the time?
 
 
 
 
"Approach Sooyoung if you really love her. Don't make playing video games with me as an alibi to see Sooyoung," added him later. 
 
 
He smiled and patted me on the shoulder as if to encourage me.
 
 
 
 
Since then, the battle begins.
 
 
***
 
 
I never thought approaching Sooyoung is something difficult. She really is an easy going person –apart from the fact that Sooyoung is a mute, it doesn't stop me to get close with her. And now, I know why Sooyoung always come home at 4 p.m. Sooyoung attends a music school, violin is her instrument. 
 
 
"Aren't you interested to continue your music school in Vienna? Vienna is famous for its great musicians, isn't?"
 
 
'Yeah. But, no. I miss Korea, I miss my dad, my mom, and Siwon Oppa.' I smiled as my response.
 
 
'And how about  you? Yourself, Kris-ssi. Your piano playing really is brilliant. Aren't you interested to go to Vienna? I think Chopin is waiting for you, hahaha.' I smiled, recalling the moment when we perform each other skill. Sooyoung with violin and piano as my instrument. Then I frowned and say, "I'll think about that. But, it did not seem necessary. I do not intend to be a marvelous pianist like Chopin or Beethoven, or even Mozart." She nodded in understanding. Then we are in a silent atmosphere for a moment.
 
 
'Kris-ssi.. did you know? Your painting is exactly the same as what I did before.'  I just stare at her, waiting for her explanation about her writing just now. Sooyoung smiled and writes again, 'I've also been playing my violin in the meadow. Just like your painting.'
 
 
I just looked at her afterwards.
 
 
***
 
 
"Just for once, Sooyoung. Please.."
 
 
'And Oppa also play piano after me, how?' She called me Oppa! Ninjas, she just called me Oppa! Yahahaaa! The world is mine!
 
 
"Aa.. Andwaeyo! I just want to hear your playing, Soo." She frowned a little bit and smiled after that.
 
 
"Okay, okay.. What was that? Devil's Trill?" I nodded afterwards. Yeah, I'm in Sooyoung's music school. Sooyoung took me to this place.
 
 
Then, Sooyoung began to play her beloved violin. Her eyes closed and her fingers deftly play a masterpiece of Giuseppe Tartini, the one who made Devil's Trill. Sooyoung looks so adorable, I can't blink my eyes, seeing her play the violin beautifully. She's there. Playing one of the most difficult violin songs almost perfectly. 
 
 
Sooyoung smiled and bowed to me shortly after she finished her playing. As if I were the official guests, watching a performance of classical music, and she is the star of tonight's show. I think it's not as if again, but it's yes.
 
 
Still carrying her violin, Sooyoung sits beside me. She looks write something a bit long and then show it to me.
 
 
'That wasn't my best. Devil's Trill is my weakness. Hey! Do you want to try it? No no, I will not give you a hard piece, basic first. I will teach you!' My eyes widened when I read Sooyoung's note. To be honest, I don't have any interest in violin or other string instruments.
 
 
'It's okay if Oppa doesn't want to, I'll keep it back then.' A thin smile creeped on her face. It seems like Sooyoung recognized my reluctance. Assh! For the sake of the earth and the sky there's a voice keep telling me to learn violin from Sooyoung! I couldn't resist it! Sooyoung about to put the violin into its place again when I held her arm. She looks a bit surprised then her stare landed at my hand that's tightly grasping her wrist.
 
 
I smile to her. "Yes, it's okay. Just teach me how to play it." Sooyoung grin the she began to teach me how to play the violin. She's teaching me gently, occasionally writes what should I do then practice what she wrote in her note. No, I pay a bit attention to her teaching. Yes, I keep looking at her face. Sooyoung turned to face me, probably she realized my strange behavior. 
 
 
I don't know what devil possessing my body right now, but I kept my head closer to her. Sooyoung also step back slowly, until her back touched the wall. Second later, my lips landed on her lips perfectly. Kissing her gently, kissing her lips I've craved for so long.
 
 
After that, I looked at her. She is shocked. I smiled at her then pull her into my arms. Her body stiffened.
 
 
"Hehe, I.. umm.."
 
 
 
 
She remains silent. 
 
 
 
 
"I love you, Sooyoung-ah."
 
 
 
 
I felt she nodded inside my hug. Then I release her. She gives me a peck. I don't know what the peck meaning was.
 
 
Sooyoung writes something on her note. ''I.. love you too.'
 
 
***
 
 
'Oppa, where are you?!' That's Sooyoung's messages for me.
 
 
 
"I'm behind you, baby." Sooyoung turned and look at me, embarassed expression on her face. A moment later, she changes her stare into an upset one. With a fake upset face and pouty lips she walks closer to me and hits my chest cutely. Aish this kid!
 
 
Soon, I pull her into my arms and say, "Aigoo-aigoo, you brat! You don't have the rights to hit your namjachingu like that!" I flick her forehead. She even pouts her lips more! Yaish!
 
 
'Buy me an ice cream! Right. Now.' She wrote in a note that she uses to communicate with me. I just nodded and then grabbed her small hand and take her to an ice cream stall.
 
 
Sooyoung smiling –too– happily until showing her teeth when she had a chocomint ice cream in her hand. We then walked along with Sooyoung still holding her ice cream tightly and I hold her hand tightly too. I pull her to sit on a bench. I really really want to pinch her chubby cheeks whenever she eats like this.
 
 
The most beautiful afternoon, waiting Sooyoung eats her favorite ice cream while her long hair.
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
I observe Sooyoung's face carefully. Observing its detail without an inch missed. She'll look to another way when my eyes landed on hers. And I could only laugh at her blushing face. Then I deftly sketch Sooyoung's face on my sketchbook. Sooyoung looks relieved as soon as I take my stare off of her eyes.
 
 
'What are you going to draw? My whole body or just my face?' She showed her writing to me. Aah, I understand what Sooyoung means, hahaha.
 
 
"What if I want to draw your whole body, hm?" I said with a smirk creeped on my face. Sooyoung thinks for a moment then she writes something.
 
 
'Still wearing my clothes?' I laugh when she showed me her writing. Gosh, what is on her mind?! I pinch her cheeks jokingly.
 
 
"Did you think I'm Jack in Titanic? Oh God, my Sooyoung.. Of course I will draw your whole body with clothes on!" Sooyoung smiles, she feels relieve. For a moment we were silent, I'm busy sketching Sooyoung's face and Sooyoung who had been looking at either my face or my painting.
 
 
"Cha! It's done!" I show her my drawing. She looks a bit surprised. 'Is it.. me?' I smiled and nod in agreement.
 
 
"Well, now, lets take a look at your body." Sooyoung looks a little bit scared when I say those words. "Hey, baby, listen to me. I won't do anything bad to you, okay?" She nods and let me observate her body. I must admit it, she got a very nice body.
 
 
Sooyoung looks a bit scared again when I landed my gaze at her chest. But really, I don't have any dirty minds when I see that women's-favorite-object. I put my sketchbook beside me then hold her shoulders, "Please, believe me. I can't draw you perfectly if you're not relaxed. Got it?" She just nods then relaxing her body.
 
 
And that day, I made the most beautiful skecth in my life.
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
 
I open the front door when the doorbell rang for the fourth time, just to find Sooyoung standing and hugging herself and bitting her bottom lip as if it can warm her body. She looks at me with her beautiful eyes and showing me her weak smile. I pull her into my apartment right away and let her sit on the couch. 
 
 
"Just wait a minute, I'll make a hot chocolate for you." She holds my arm as if to say, "No, just stay here for a while." But absolutely she didn't say it.
 
 
What's wrong with her? I still follow her will nevertheless.
 
 
Sooyoung hand me her note, 'Oppa, stay here. I've brought hot chocolates.'
 
 
"Algesseo.." I sit beside her. Then she hands me the hot chocolate she have brought from home, and told me to drink it. She writes something again.
 
'It's our 2nd anniversary, did you.. forget it?' 
 
2nd anniver– MWOYA?! How can I forgot something very crucial like that?! Stupid! I look at her with a I'm-sorry-I-forgot-about-today stare. She just smiles back to me. Then I hug her thin body, apologizing to her.
 
"Sooyoung-ah, I'm sorry.. I'm sorry-I'm sorry.. I really am sorry, baby.." Sooyoung nods inside my arms. She wriggles a bit and writes something else.
 
'I love it. I love when Oppa hug me like this, feel so warm.' I only smile as my reply. But what happened next really is surprising! Sooyoung kiss my cheek! What's wrong with this kid?
 
"Hey, waegurae?" Sooyoung shook her head cutely, maybe she was embarassed. I pinch her cheeks an again, I pull her into my arms.
 
"You know, baby.. What you just did is make me want to marry you as soon as possible." Still inside my arms, she tilts her head and looks at me with a surprised expression. Her eyes shines and her lips slightly opened. This woman is driving me crazy!
 
"Hey, I'm not kidding. This is my apology to you, what if I want to propose to you today, hm? It's a good idea, right?" She looks more surprised because of what I just said. I cupped her face then say, "Yes, Sooyoung-ah.. I want you to marry me. I want you to be someone that always with me until the world ends. I want you to be the mother of my children. I want you to be the one who take care of me when I'm sick. I want to kiss you all over the time. I want you to be my only wife. Sooyoung-ah.. marry me."
 
She nods in agreement. Happy smile on her face.
 
I swear, it's the best day in my life.
 
 
***
 
 
I never regret loving someone mute like Sooyoung. I never regret for having a child and Sooyoung is his mother. I never regret marrying Sooyoung. She is the best woman I have ever known in my life, besides my mom.
 
Only Sooyoung who can make me powerless when I'm with her, even she is a mute. Only Sooyoung who could be the most beautiful object of my painting. Only Sooyoung who can make my heart trembles when I see her cooks for me and for my son. Only Sooyoung who can make me smile brightly when I make love to her. Only Sooyoung who can make me love her like this. 
 
When my son was born, the happiness in my life increased. Only Sooyoung and Jaeha, my son, who can make me smile really happy like I just got the most wanted treasure in the world. No, they're more valuable than that most wanted treasure.
 
Sooyoung turns her head to me. She jogs a bit to my place then whispers something to me, "Oppa, thanks for everything. I love you, I love you, I love you." An angel smile creeped on her face. Ah, this is the other happiness came to my life. Sooyoung wanted to undergo the surgery, and now.. She can say the words I've been waiting for so long, directly from her lips. 
 
"I love you too, Sooyoung-ah.. I love you more than you know, Chagiya."
 
 
 
Sooyoung-ah, Jaeha-yah, both of you are the most important thing in my life.
 
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
TARAAA!!! this is it. I know there are a lot of grammar mistakes, I'm so sorryyyyy. Yes, I would like to use the classic excuse, English isn't my first language. So yeah, I'm so sorry for this failed romance super-long oneshot kekeke. Hope you understand the plot :( Comments are needed!
Oh, special thanks to illonawu unnie, she is my inspiration, I made this story because her Memories+Andante also inspired me XD