Sleepless in Hawaii

Sleepless in Hawaii

 

Everyone in the audience was waving bright blue lightsticks as the spotlight him. Everyone was chanting his name. He could see banners of support messages even from the top section of the place. Music was playing. It was his solo stage. Kyuhyun grasped the mic firmly and breathed calmly. Someone at the side of the stage cheered on him. He turned his head a bit and realized it was Siwon with a huge smile cheering him on. The first line of the song was coming so and Kyuhyun counted to the beat.
 
One.
Two.
Three.
 
He closed his eyes, opened his lips and sang. How the sound of ballad soothed his mind with its soft, mellow tones that, at times, pierces through one's emotions. The audience seemed like they were swayed. Everyone was quiet. But it was too quiet.
 
Kyuhyun opened his eyes. He almost lost grip of his mic when he realized that no more bright blue lightsticks were up. People have turned their lightsticks off and slowly, they are putting their banners down. Some were strangely whispering to each other, others were shouting at him. Then he knew the reason why. In his mind, he was singing. His mouth was open and his lips were moving, but to unknown reason there was no sound coming out. He tried shouting but his throat hurt and no sound would come, still.
 
'C-can you hear me?' He tried saying.
 
The murmurs became louder. There was no more music playing. Kyuhyun looked for the managers and staff in charge by the stage. They only looked at him pitifully and some sneered at him.
 
'Don’t just stand there! Help me!' He shouted. Or at least it felt like he shouted.
 
Slowly he backed away from the stage. He could hear people shouting dissatisfaction at him. He looked around for the person who cheered on him earlier at stageside but to no avail. Something was strangling his throat. It was heavy. He couldn't breathe well. Everything started spinning fast. He found Siwon. Finally, a man that can save him, he hopefully thought. But all Siwon did is give him a disappointed look.
 
Kyuhyun felt more miserable and helpless. The choke on his neck was getting heavier and tighter. He tried pulling away the invisible hands choking him but his strength was draining away. Breathing was becoming more and more difficult to do. This is it, he thought. He was going to die.
 
 
Kyuhyun's eyes were wide open. Beads of sweat trail down his neck. He was gasping for air. The room was dark and he had a blanket covering him. There was also a pillow which his head rested on. A desk on his side filled with snacks and empty cans of sodas. His laptop was still on.  He was on his bed in his room. It was all a dream. It was a very bad dream.
 
Kyuhyun wiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. It felt strange. Something was still choking him. His hands felt around his neck and realized what was choking him. Donghae was softly snoring beside him - an arm draped over Kyuhyun's throat.
 
'Why are you here?' Kyuhyun groggily whined as he took Donghae's arm off him. 'Hyung, why are you here?' He repeated but Donghae only murmured in his sleep.
 
It was set up for the members to share a room while they are in Hawaii. Kyuhyun had wanted a solo room from the start. They were supposed to be there for a photoshoot but he thought of it as a vacation. Siwon commented that it would be their honeymoon. Kangin then strongly suggested that Siwon be his room mate and Kyuhyun and Donghae should be paired in one room. 
 
And so Kangin won.
 
Feeling bothered by his dream - and by the friend who made it a nightmare - Kyuhyun sat up and noticed that his friend was occupying almost half of the bed. He rubbed his eyes off in annoyance and tried waking the man up again. 'Hyunggg' he whined. Donghae didn't budge. The only thing he was relieved about is that he still is alive and his voice was, although a bit husky, still alright.
 
The hotel room was dark and quiet. Donghae's snores are the only sound that Kyuhyun could hear as he made his way to the bath. The cold water felt refreshing on his face. He shivered as he remembered his nightmare. He tried singing lines from songs he could remember at the moment. It was fine. He could still sing.
 
In the room, Donghae's bed was empty and it was the only place he could sleep on since the said man has hijacked his bed. Kyuhyun lazily sprawled across the empty bed and then curled into a ball with the sheets. It felt cold. He grabbed his phone and checked the time. Two in the morning. Unread messages from his mother and sister flooded his inbox. Few of them were from his friends. But one message made him laugh a little.
 
It read: Kiyu~ even if we are rooms apart I miss you :^( 
 
It was sent by the time Kyuhyun was already sleeping and wasn’t able to read it before. Kyuhyun smiled as he read it again and again. The memory of his nightmare faded away a little.
 
 
~~
Siwon woke up as his phone vibrated beside him. His eyes were half open when he read the message. Suddenly he bolted up and made his way to the door to find the maknae on his pyjamas waiting with a weird smile.
 
'Kyu what are you doing there? Come 'ere..' Siwon said as he let Kyuhyun inside.
 
Kyuhyun peeked at the snoring Kangin and then made his self comfortable at Siwon's bed. 'Why aren't you wearing any shirt on?' He whispered so hard to make it sound like he was scandalized despite the number of times he had slept with a half Siwon.
 
Siwon blinked at the maknae sitting in his bed. 'But this is how I sleep..'
 
Kyuhyun laughed at how Siwon looked - half , sleepy, with eyes half open, and standing before him looking like a lost sleepy sheep. He motioned for Siwon to join him in bed. Glancing at Kangin's bed and after making sure that the oldest member is sound asleep, Siwon crawled beside the maknae.
 
Kyuhyun rested his head on Siwon's arm snuggling close to the man. Siwon's other arm flopped across Kyuhyun's body, making sure that Kyuhyun wouldn't be visible from Kangin's view if the oldest member wakes up.
 
They just lied there still, comfortably snuggled at each other's arms. It took quiet minutes before it dawned on Siwon that this might be a dream. Usually it would be him barging into Kyuhyun's room in the middle of the night and not the other way around. Siwon thinks Kyuhyun will only do it if the maknae was drunk. To test out his theory, Siwon cupped Kyuhyun's face and guided it to his. Siwon's kiss started out with light pecks on Kyuhyun's lips and gradually it deepened. 
 
'You don't taste like you've been drinking.' Siwon broke their kiss and smiled at his lover. 'So why are you here?' Siwon's fingers brushed against Kyuhyun's warm face. 
 
'You don't want me here?' Kyuhyun smiled back.
 
Siwon chuckled. 'No. I was just surprised. You going here when you know that Kangin hyung was also here.' His voice sounded gruff as he maintained a quiet tone on his voice. The usual hand gestures that came along every word he said were transformed into affectionate petting of Kyuhyun's side.
 
'It's okay. I'll just tell him you kidnapped me during the night and brought me here.' Kyuhyun explained as Siwon sighed with a smile.
 
'If I'm going to take the blame for this in the morning, then can I go ahead and you while we're at it?' Siwon teased as he put one leg around Kyuhyun.
 
'I wouldn't call it as when the other side has approved of it.' Kyuhyun whispered so softly Siwon was speechless for a while. It made Siwon realize that this was more than a dream. Also, he wasn't quite as sleepy as before because of the subtle invitation by the maknae.
 
'That means I can do-'
 
'I'm joking, hyung.' Kyuhyun giggled as he patted the man's arm. 'We can't do it. Sorry.'
 
Kyuhyun had to put one hand on his mouth to stop his laughter as Siwon's frustrated look was too funny for him. Siwon gritted his teeth and smiled. He was also laughing. The older took one quick glance to check if Kangin was still asleep, and then signalled Kyuhyun to be quiet. The maknae just pointed at Siwon, mouthing that the older was to blame for it.
 
When both of them had managed to stop laughing uncontrollably, Siwon sighed for one last time saying that Hawaii is a very nice place for a honeymoon. Kyuhyun just agreed with him.
 
'So what really brought you here? You can't sleep? Ah! Did Hyukjae kick you out of your room so he can have Donghae?' Siwon sounded curious.
 
The maknae, remembering what woke him up, snuggled very close to Siwon that he was just a breath away from Siwon's chest. He pressed one hand against it and began tracing invisible lines as if he was mesmerized by the older man's already tanned features.
 
'Kyu if you want my body so badly, just say it and we can go get another room..' Siwon said as Kyuhyun drew lines on his chest. Suddenly, Kyuhyun's fingers trailed on one of Siwon's s and twisted it. The older man doubled over in pain.
 
'You ert!' Kyuhyun hissed. 'I just had a bad dream because Donghae was choking me on my sleep and then I couldn't sleep anymore.'
 
They have shared many conversations more embarrassing before but somehow it was ten times more embarrassing for Kyuhyun to tell Siwon that he had a bad dream and cannot go to sleep again. Kyuhyun braced his self as he was sure to be laughed at by Siwon.
 
'What was your dream about? Why was Donghae choking you? Are you hurt? Do you need to go to a doctor?' Siwon's voice was normal. It was still rough but he wasn't trying to sound as quiet as before, he sounded more worried about Kyuhyun's condition. 'I've told you to be careful if you're playing with Donghae or the other members. Let me see your neck.'
 
Siwon propped himself on the arm that Kyuhyun rested on as he turned the bedside lamp on. The maknae complained that it might wake Kangin up and said that he was already fine. However, Siwon was insistent on checking him up. He lifted Kyuhyun's head up a bit just to check if he had bruises or anything that might have hurt.
 
'There's nothing wrong, hyung..' Kyuhyun assured. Siwon propped up on his arm, his hand supporting his head. He stared suspiciously at the maknae.
 
'I'm fine. It was just a bad dream and I was just surprised to wake up with Donghae hugging me by the throat.' Kyuhyun laughed lightly. He didn't intend for Siwon to be worried but seeing the older man like that made the butterflies on his stomach, once again, flutter. 'Don't worry too much, hyung.. Many  lines will show on your face if you do.' Kyuhyun quickly reached for the light switch and turned it off.
 
'I'd rather worry about you than worry about my face.' Siwon bluntly said.
 
'T-that's too cheesy..' Kyuhyun murmured as Siwon grabbed his left hand and pressed on it lightly. It was a little dark but Kyuhyun feels like Siwon can see through the darkness and notice the red tints on his face.
 
'Well, you will have to get used to it because we'll be together for a long, long time.' Siwon said as he intertwined his fingers with Kyuhyun's.
 
Kyuhyun's mind went blank as he looked at the direction of their hands. How he liked at how Siwon talks about their future as if the man was very certain of what will happen to them - Siwon can make things sound 'believable'. And somehow, for Kyuhyun, everything is possible.
 
'Hyung.. What if.. What if I lose my voice? W-what will you do then?' Kyuhyun meekly asked. He never wanted to ask the question but Siwon's disappointed face in his dream was bothering him. More questions formed on his head and they were mostly the reason why he cannot sleep. 
 
Kyuhyun loved singing since he was young. His mother even said Kyuhyun loved singing even when he was a baby. Siwon had also revealed, embarrassingly on tv, how he loved hearing Kyuhyun's voice everyday. If one day his voice was all gone, then will his family, friends, fans - will Siwon still stay with him? The questions on his head occupied too much of his self that he didn't hear Siwon speaking.
 
'Huh? S-sorry I was s-spacing out. What did you say again?'
 
Siwon chuckled and lied down again on his side of the pillow, adjusting his arms and body to make it comfortable for the maknae to sleep in.
 
'Looks like you're the one getting old.' Siwon teased. 'You should know my answer by now. I've told you many times that I can spend any amount just to hear your voice.'
 
'Oh..' Kyuhyun sighed. The way Siwon said it was too relaxed, too easy, that Kyuhyun wasn't able to believe them. He didn’t like the answer. 'Hyung I-'
 
The maknae was cut off when Siwon's lips softly landed on his.
 
'I am willing to spend everything that I have just to have you speak again. I know how much you love singing and I wouldn't dare come in between that. I also know how your parents were when the doctors said you wouldn't be able to sing..' Siwon breathed deep as he remembered what happened in the past. 
 
Kyuhyun can feel Siwon breathing on him. Their faces were so close, their foreheads glued on each other's. The maknae thinks of it as the reason why his face was getting warmer every second. But his heartbeat is telling a different story.
 
'Even if I have to give my soul to the devil just to get your voice back, I will. Because it will be all worth it if I could hear you nag, shout, complain, sing, or just talk with me. It will be all worth it.' Siwon softly said. His fingers brushing the maknae's warm face gently as he whispered words that Kyuhyun had always believed in. 'I love you..and I will be here for you always.'
 
Then the bathroom door sounded close. They could hear the sound of the running water. Siwon peeked at Kangin's bed and found it empty. Hurriedly, he moved his body on top of Kyuhyun trying to hide his lover from the oldest member. Kyuhyun made no protests whatsoever as Siwon weighted down on him.  The bathroom door opened and Siwon faked snoring sounds. Kyuhyun held his breath in as he heard  Kangin's sleepy footsteps near their bed. Three, five seconds passed and then they heard Kangin return to his bed.
 
A small gap between Siwon's shoulder and the pillow allowed Kyuhyun to see what was happening on Kangin's side. The oldest member wasn't asleep yet. The light from the man's phone suggested that he might be playing games or checking out messages.
 
When Siwon started easing his self away from Kyuhyun, the latter quickly shook his head and motioned that Kangin was still awake. Siwon knows he was weighing down on Kyuhyun and was worried that he might suffocate the man under him. But Kyuhyun just pulled him in closer and patted the older man's face.
 
Minutes passed. Kyuhyun stayed still under Siwon, while the man tried his best to look and sound like he was sleeping. Then they heard Kangin's usual snores. Siwon quickly rolled off to the side to let Kyuhyun breathe and relax. 'Are you alright?' He asked.
 
'W-wait..' Kyuhyun whispered as he grabbed Siwon by the neck and returned him to his position before. The maknae was hugging him. 'I think I can sleep in my room now. I feel better already..'
 
 Then he felt Siwon's thin lips landing on his. Siwon shifted a little making his weight on Kyuhyun a little lighter. 'Are you sure you can sleep again? What about your bad dream? We didn’t talk about it yet.' Siwon kissed him again and the maknae only nodded.
 
'You don't want to talk about what your dream was about? You just asked me a weird question. Wait, was that a trick question? The one where there is no right answer? Are you testing me right n-'
 
Kyuhyun pulled the man back in for a kiss.
 
'Does this mean I-'
 
Another kiss.
 
'Hyung I'm going now' Kyuhyun sniggered as he attempted to get up.
 
Then it was Siwon's turn to kiss him.
 
'Hyung!'
 
Siwon kissed him again and chuckled. 'I thought this was a kissing game where you interrupt people talking.'
 
'I really have to go now because your hormones are now fully awake.' Kyuhyun said, getting up from the bed. Siwon followed suit as he noticed Kangin was still asleep. The maknae tiptoed to the door while Siwon followed closely behind. Once Kyuhyun's hands reached the door, Siwon reached out for him and pinned him against it.
 
'You forgot your card key.' Siwon said as he held the card key above his head. The foyer's dim light was on and Kyuhyun grinned as he realized how Siwon was still shirtless. As soon as the maknae's hands reached for the card key, Siwon grabbed him by the wrists and kissed him.
 
'Kangin might wake up soon.' Kyuhyun happily said as he grabbed the card key from Siwon's hand.
 
'Oh Kyu!' Siwon called out as soon as the maknae was out the hallway. 'I think we have free time in the afternoon tomorrow. Kick out Donghae at that time.' His eyebrows did a small wave on his forehead as he winked at a smirking Kyuhyun.
 
Kyuhun turned his back on Siwon as he continued to walk towards his room. 'Goodnight Choi ert Siwon!' The maknae said from his door.
 
'Goodnight Kyu! Remember tomorrow afternoon, I am going to do you so hard-'
 
Kyuhyun  slammed the door at him.
 
 
~~
The next morning, Siwon's head hurt as he remembered what time they slept last night. His eyes blinked as they adjusted to the bright sunlight streaming from the open curtains. His hands lazily searched for his phone and he was surprised to see him holding Kyuhyun's phone. He blinked a few times and realized that the maknae might have left it there last night. Curiously, he tried reading through the messages but decided against it.
 
Kangin was already up and was at the bathroom. Siwon groggily got up and stretched for a while. He laughed as he saw his reflection in the mirror - his face was a little swollen and looked rough because of his facial hair, and his hair was funnily messed upwards. 'Alright, the fans will have a good laugh when they see this.' Siwon grabbed his phone and started taking pictures of his self when he realized he has another phone with him.
 
Siwon took Kyuhyun's phone and snapped a picture of him - shirtless, rugged looking, and a less swollen face. Satisfied with it, he posted it on his twitter and then saved it as Kyuhyun's wallpaper.
 
 
'Oh Kiyu! I found your phone this morning!' Siwon happily chirped as all of them met at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast. He set it on Kyuhyun's table with Donghae and went around looking at the breakfast buffet.  Donghae then gave a strange but meaningful look at the maknae.
 
'What?' Kyuhyun said embarrassed.
 
'Nothing.' Donghae snorted. 'Oh, can I play with your phone as I wait for Hyukjae? I forgot my phone in the room so..'
 
Kyuhyun ignored him as Donghae reached for the phone. Then the man's face went all red as he quickly gave it back to the owner.
 
'What's wrong? You don't know how to use this kind of phone?' Kyuhyun haughtily asked the man in front of him. 
 
'N-no. B-but I didn't think you… like Siwon's body… that much.' Donghae stuttered as he calmed his self down to eat some pineapples.
 
Confused, Kyuhyun reached for his phone and was surprised to see his lockscreen wallpaper has changed into a photo of Siwon, shirtless, holding up a piece of paper that says 'I'll make you lose your voice today ;^)'
 
 
That day Siwon can be seen following an annoyed Kyuhyun like a lovesick puppy in Hawaii.
 
~~