Keys

Chords

 

The first few keys are slow, as if testing the waters. The right hand plays the moon, radiant despite the rainclouds, reflecting light upon translucent butterfly wings; the left shrouds the scene in a thick, creeping fog of loneliness. 
 
The pianist plays on: the butterfly tries to take flight. It fails; the swirling fog is thick - too thick, thick enough to suffocate (mentally, if not physically). 
 
The following verse is the radiant moonlight turning cold, heartless. It is the fog thickening ever so slightly, wrapping almost-tangible fingers around the butterfly like those of a clumsy child who intends to keep it as a specimen. Once again the insect tries to move its wings: delicate though they seem, they are strong, but not strong enough. 
 
And then, a crescendo: the somber keys give way to a twirling gust of light, high notes. A gust of wind blows, taking the butterfly by surprise without ripping it from where it is perched. The fog is swept away, leaving nothing more than droplets of crystalline dew in its wake. The moonlight weakens with every passing second, until the sky has changed colour and the cold reflection is replaced by genuine warmth. A gentle breeze sweeps one last time, as if to make sure that there is no more fog left. 
 
All is still. 
 
Apprehensive, the butterfly finally dares flutter its wings, testing the air, tasting it. It is light, sweet; it tastes of sunlight and dawn and the butterfly takes off, revelling in the newfound freedom. It jumps from breeze to breeze, going higher and higher and higher still, until it is swept away in a gust of euphoria that runs through the spring morning. 
 
The pianist ends the piece, but the music goes on in the hearts of the audience. Kim Jonghyun bows to the standing ovation, his thoughts swirling around one person: his muse, his lover. Kim Kibum applauds his husband soundlessly from the curtains, tears spilling over because he has listened and he has heard. 
 
'You are the day to my night, the spring to my winter, the sun to my moon, the breeze to my fog. You are the love of my life, and I will cherish you forever. '
 
A/N: I SHOULD GO TO SLEEP NAO. YEAH OKAY.