Baekhyun

EXO One-Shot Collection

Title: The Cure

Gender: Romance; Angst;  Piece of life

Created: 30/09/2013

Finished: 09/10/2013

Length: 3 and 2/4 A4 pages; 1893 words;

Prologue

 Noh Min He, a young girl suffering with cancer, is able to find happiness in her life again, thanks to love - her disease's cure.

 

Characters

Main:

Byun Baekhyun

Noh Min Hee (fictional)

 

Additional:

 

 

 

Credits to: mafalda for a better poster than the previous one ;) 


The Cure

“Doctor Byun there’s a patient waiting for you.” a nurse who passed by the rushing Doctor Byun told him, handing a technical sheet with the information about the patient.  Without looking at the information the doctor asked, “Is it that urgent?” he was with a rush to somewhere else and couldn’t believe that there was something making him delay even more. “Yes sir.” the nurse nodded with a concerned look. “Aish …” he exhaled clearly annoyed by the fact that he had to do something else before the greatest moment of the day for him.

He went back to his office and outside there was a patient waiting for him. “Come in.” he politely let her in before him and then entered inside his office, closing the door behind him.

Doctor Byun, or also known as Byun Baekhyun, was known as a very well-mannered doctor. Everyone liked him. He was bright and cheerful and would treat his patients with love and care. The ones who loved him more than anyone else were the old ladies, who sometimes would even fake some pains, just to go to his office to catch a glimpse of his breathtaking smile, as well as looks. Doctor Byun was aware of it but he didn’t care. He even found it funny somehow.

He was one of the youngest doctors in the hospital and his seniors would help him and advise him much, because they saw him like their children and Baekhyun was someone who could attract anyone’s attention just by his friendly personality.

After seeing that he would be late, he decided to do everything with care and take his time examining his patient. Since he couldn’t go back anymore, he would do his work as a professional and treat the patient as best as he could. He prescribed some medicines and then sent the patient home as it wasn’t that urgent after all.

Now that he was done, he was happy to finally go to the hospitalized people’s section of the hospital. He had been following some patients but there was one who had Baekhyun’s full concern.

He fastened his walking and once he arrived at the right hallway, he fixed his white medical robe and put on his smile. He pushed the door knob down and entered inside the room. Grabbing his folder in one hand he made his way towards the patient with his best smile.

The patient was looking to outside the window, with a faraway look in her eyes. She seemed emotionless but at the same time transmitted a gloomy vibe. The sunlight that penetrated the room made her seem heavenly with her white skin and long brown hair falling down her shoulders.

Doctor Byun cleared his throat and with his million-dollar smile approached her. “Good morning. How are you feeling today?” he looked at the young girl who was sat on the hospital bed. She turned her gaze to him and gave him a forced grin. “Well.” she simply answered with her soft and innocent voice. “Really? Not lying?” Baekhyun beamed with a raised eyebrow as he scanned the patient’s technical sheet that was attached to the bed and compared it with the one he had with him. She let out an almost inaudible chuckle and slightly nodded.

“Oh look what we have here. There’s a great improvement since the last checkup we did.” he grinned showing his happiness and relief for the happening. Noh Min Hee’s shoulders felt much lighter at hearing that. The lung cancer has been taking away her strength as well as her willing to live. Of course, Doctor Byun was trying his best to save her from that disease.

Since the first moment she entered in the hospital he had been keeping an eye on her, until he finally got to be the doctor to follow her during the treatment. Baekhyun would always go to her room to visit her, no matter the time. At the beginning he felt sad for her, but now, he felt motivated to help her overcome the lung cancer.

He would always smile when around her. He was sure it would make her feel better and if fact it did. She secretly adored his cute grin and always hoped to see it every day.

Oblivious of each other’s opinions they kept their doctor-patient relationship, but they weren’t just strangers anymore. At this time they were friends already. When Baekhyun had time, he would go to her room and chat with her, something he didn’t do with other patients.

“At this rate you’ll leave the hospital in no time.” Baekhyun finished analyzing the technical sheets and turned to her, as he felt somehow down at saying that. “Thank you for everything. You’ve been a great doctor. Sometimes I think no other doctor could have done what you did, so I’m thankful towards you, for being here when I needed the most.” Min Hee expressed, as she held her thankful tears and beamed.

Baekhyun couldn’t help but feel a tickle inside his stomach as he heard her words. He felt happy to hear her saying such things. Although he was nervous, in the outside he stood calm and showed his white teeth as he smiled to her. “That’s why I became a doctor, to help people like you. Sometimes I also do think that I couldn’t have gotten another patient to treat and have my full concern on. So I’m thankful towards god for giving me such patient.” unwillingly Min Hee blushed and quickly tried to hide her red cheeks as she looked down at her lap.

In that moment Baekhyun’s pager beeped signaling that duty was calling, interrupting their conversation. “Oh I guess I have to go.” Baekhyun didn’t want to, but he loved his job and as a doctor he had to keep the duty of treating his patients, so he had to leave Min Hee. She nodded at his statement, understanding that he couldn’t just stay with her forever as he had work to do.

“I’ll come tomorrow to check up on you. Alright?” Baekhyun once again beamed and approached her. He leaned forward and his lips softly touched Min Hee’s forehead.  Her lips curved into a smile and hope to see him the next day was growing inside her already.

Doctor Byun left his patient’s room and went to continue his work.

 

---- Two Months Later ----

 

It had passed two months and Min Hee finally was able to win over cancer and had finished the treatment. She was extremely happy. Her mother had come to the hospital to get her. She was packing her things to leave the room where she had slept for so many nights.

Min Hee was glad to leave the hospital but a bit of bitter filled her heart. Baekhyun haven’t gone seen her and she felt sad that she wouldn’t be able to see say goodbye to the person who helped her the most in the most difficult times for her. Although he didn’t know, she had grown feelings for him, because of his smile; friendly personality; good manners and because he cared for her.

Since she wasn’t brave enough, she hadn’t told him that she liked him and now she regretted it.

Min Hee grabbed her bag and walked towards the door. She glanced to the room one last time and confidently left it, feeling brighter than ever.

Baekhyun was running back and forth, trying to accelerate his work in order to have time to go see Min Hee. He knew that she was leaving and because of that he had that urge feeling to go tell her the way he felt towards her. Since the first time he had seen her, he felt the need to be there for her, to be by her side. And by being next to her all that time made him realize how beautiful Min Hee was on the inside just like as on the outside.

“Goodbye.” Min Hee smiled to the receptionist. “Goodbye and good luck on your life.” The receptionist grinned back, as the girl walked out of the Hospital.

Doctor Byun glanced at his wristwatch. *Damn, I’m late!* he panicked at seeing that Min Hee had probably left already, although he still had hope that she hadn’t. He ran towards the reception as if it depended of his life.

“Did patient Noh Min Hee from hospitalized section already left?” he panted as he tried to catch up with his breathing. “Yes doctor. She left just now.” without another word, Baekhyun ran out of the hospital desperately hoping to see her. He looked at his left and saw a girl leaving with her mother by her side. By the girl’s hair he quickly noticed it was Min Hee.

“Min Hee!” he called. At hearing her name, she stopped her tracks and turned around. Her eyes landed on Baekhyun and the bit of bitter quickly disappeared when she saw him. “Mom you can go on. I’ll go in a few minutes.” Min Hee beamed and her mother quickly realized why her daughter smiled like that. She chuckled, nodded and went to the parking lot carrying Min Hee’s bag.

The two walked towards each other and when they stood in front of one another, Min Hee spoke, “I thought I wouldn’t see you today, on my last day here.” she said as she looked to everywhere but to his eyes.  “Me too, but I managed to see you, right?” he started getting nervous.

“Yes. I’m glad you did.” she grinned. “I have something to tell you.” Baekhyun started, as he felt the pace of his heart beating fasten up. “I- I …” Baekhyun wasn’t able to let the words come out of his mouth. At seeing what he was probably trying to say, Min Hee cut him off. “I love you.” Baekhyun’s eyes widened and his lips were parted from each other as he was taken aback by her words. “Yo- you do?” he stuttered. Min Hee beamed and nodded. At her answer, Baekhyun’s lips started slowly forming a grin.

At that, Min Hee took his cheeks in her hands and placed her lips in his. At feeling the soft touch of her lips in his, Beakhyun seemed to be radiated with joy. He knew how much he had waited for that moment and now he was glad to have Min Hee in his arms, those which encircled her waist.

She broke from the kiss and let her thumb caress Baekhyun’s cheek. “I’ll come visit you soon, alright?” Baekhyun nodded eagerly. The distance between them started growing bigger as she walked away towards her mother’s car. Doctor Byun stood there watching his patient leaving until he couldn’t see the car anymore.

For Min Hee, who had overcome cancer, the reason why she had made it was not solely because of the treatment she had been receiving but the one who had been helping her. It seemed as if love was the cure to it and not the treatment. Happier than ever, Min Hee felt relieved to have found such a person in her life, who was able to stick with her through her hard moments and still help her with her disease.

She promised to herself that she would always love Baekhyun and she was more than willing to keep that promise.

 


I know this is long, but I would appreciate if you took the time to read this.

This one-shot was mostly inspired by some happenings around me.

I've known and heard about so many people who're suffering with cancer these days and the worst is that they're young people, teenagers like me. Seeing them suffering so much makes me reflect about my life and how our life can suddenly turn upside down in a blink of an eye.

One of these people is my friend. She's not a close friend yet I've spent some moments with her. She has lung cancer and has lost her hair. Her face is pale and her dark circles are very visible. She's just a year older than me, she's 16 years old and is already suffering so much at such a young age. She's taking it strongly and continues her life like she had always done until now. Because of that, I admire her. I admire her for being strong and not letting this dangerous disease make her days less happy than they were before.

Another person was a boy, not much older than my friend, maybe with 18 years old. Unfortunately he wasn't lucky and the disease took over his body and soul, leaving his friends and family crying over his death.

That's why I wrote about this incredibly dangerous disease called cancer. To honor these unlucky yet strong fighters, who're struggling with all their forces to win over it. To everyone out there with cancer, please be strong and don't bring yourself down. You're capable of overcoming this illness and continue with your life. Just believe and fight with all your forces. And to those who couldn't make it, rest in peace. I'm sure you're in a better place now. 

Thank you for reading. I hope you liked it. Don't forget to subscribe, comment and upvote. :)

Chu~ / XOXO