This is How We Never Met

This is How We Never Met

A drop of water trickled down a white umbrella right into his face. He wiped it down with anger thinking how possibly could a girl be so rude, sitting that close to him, letting drops of water from her umbrella fall upon his porcelain face. Ah it must have rained, he thought. That's the perks of being in a room so small it couldn't fit a window, so soundproof it couldn't possibly hear anything, so isolated the outdoors seemeed like a completely different planet from what the room was within, you can truly enjoy wonders once you step out of the room or what he'd like to say the black box. 

The girl, not noticing the droplets of water that has been pouring down the guy sitting beside her in the bus station's face stared blankly at the cars that are slowly moving due to the heavy traffic caused by the rain. Had it not rain, will the situation in the street be different? She wondered. All her life she hated rain. When she was a small child and her neighbors would play in the rain for hours, getting soaked till the toes, she would stay in her cozy room looking out at them while drinking hot cocoa thinking how could a person love rain that much when all it does was make you sick. Growing up, she found even better reasons to hate the rain, causing traffic being one.

All his life he loved the rain. Being locked up in a black box not knowing what it was like outside, rain was like a mystery to him. He could only see it when he was outside. Had his father be a little kinder to let him go outside his room and play in the big house with big windows that empowered the house with beauty like his step-brothers does he'd perhaps hate the rain as well, but of course what do you expect from a step-mother who despisely hated him? She'd throw him out to the chicken's den if there was one. Father has no chance but to follow the beautiful second wife whom he is afraid to lose because of his adding age. He was like the Harry Potter of the house, the man version of Cinderella. Minutes past and the rain had not poured again, yet the girl still has not closed the umbrella. Never was a guy more confused in his life

She wanted to open the umbrella forever if she had to, it was after all her only protection to the despiseful rain. If only she could just stay home and drink cocoa forever she would be the happiest girl on earth, but alas growing up happened and there she was completely exposed to the rain. Living with a loving mother and a caring father had caused her to find comfort inside the house, thus never would she ever want to feel the touch of the rain. Inside had always been better, safer. The rain was as cold as the snow and that would only make her heart cringe feeling unsafe and away from the warmth she had always lived in.

He wished he had come earlier to witness the rain. He loved putting his palm up trying to contain all the drops of the rain in his bare hand and once it's full the rain would dribble away from the gaps through his hand. It's as if the rain had cleanse all his worries, sadness, and doubt. On some days, he would jump in the rain. This was when he was a little boy, when he felt so alone that dark thoughts start to crept upon him. Being drenched by the rain helped the dark thoughts go away, and that was how he liked it. 

Slowly yet almost perfectly it started trickling again. His toes wriggled in happines while hers curled obviously not pleased. The bus they were both waiting for slowly approached as if the traffic has it's life out of it. She quickly jumped up on her feet as the bus door opened and only closed the umbrella once she was fully inside the bus. He on the other had completely forgotten the reason he was there, enchanted by the rain trickling down slowly yet steadily accelerating in speed showing signs of heavy rain. He stood up and put his palms up as the girl sat on one of the last two seats on the bus.

Had it not rain, would the two of them met?