12

Are You Doing Okay?

 

 


12: Suho

 

I want to talk to her. I want to hold her hands. I want to see her smile. And it kept worsening each day—this thing I have toward Hanhee. It scared me off at some points but I knew that I’m sure about my feelings. I have fallen for her.

 

“Stop clicking that pen.” Kris nudged me. I looked up at him and found him staring down at me. In instant, I dropped the pen on the desk and smiled at him. I kept on oozing on and off in class too—which never happened before. I spent my day smiling at nothing particular. I knew what I have become but I couldn’t stop myself.

 

Standing up, I excused myself to go to the toilet and pulled in the interests of my friends. When I left, I overheard Sehun asking Kris what has gotten into me. I merely chuckled and closed the door behind me.

 

In the corner of my eyes, I found a familiar oversized sweater with worn out jeans. Jogging as I caught up with her, I knew that Hanhee could notice my presence there too. “Hey,” I greeted. Hanhee hummed a small ‘hi’ in reply and that was enough for me.

 

I knew that we were both surprised at my confession. I tried to avoid her for a few days after that but I couldn’t do it. Hanhee—well, she’s just being herself. But I do notice the differences in her—whether it was my doings or someone else’s, it did not matter. I was still staring down at her when she waved at someone at the corridor. Looking up, I found that it was a ‘he’.

 

“Are you going home after this?” She asked him.

 

“No,” He looked at me for a while before shaking his head. Hanhee nodded and it bothered me a lot. She had never asked me such things. “I’m going out with the boys later. Are you?”

 

“Yeah,” She replied and began walking away. “I’ll see you later, Taehyung. Don’t stay up to late with Jimin.” The guy’s friend (which I recognized as well for being in the detention last time) chortled and stuck a tongue at her. Hanhee scoffed and walked completely away, waving at the group of friends again. I stopped staring at Hanhee’s retreating figure and looked blankly at the so-called Taehyung.

 

He stared back and it took him a few seconds to smirk at me. Nodding his head to acknowledge my presence, he followed his friends walking away too. It all happened too foreign in my eyes. Only then did I realize that—I don’t really know Hanhee. How am I supposed to like her like this? With that Taehyung, she was able to converse like a real teenage girl. And I thought that I was the only one she relies on.

 

Looking up at Hanhee’s direction, I found her glued to her stance. She didn’t walk away, nor did she return. She just stayed there. Though I was confused and distracted for a while, my heart fluttered again seeing her there.

 

I paced my walk with her again and just smiled. Hanhee looked away the entire time and she had her lips puckered. We began walking again though I didn’t know where we are heading to. I cleared my throat and looked at her.

 

“Aren’t you going home?” I asked. “Why are you still here then?”

 

“What about you?” She answered my question with a question. I giggled but managed to shrug.

 

“The boys are still hanging out in the class. They said they don’t want to go home just yet. Maybe we’ll play some basketball later. I’m just…” She looked to the front without minding me. But somehow, I knew that she was listening attentively. “I’m just taking a detour to the toilet. And you, what are you doing still in school? I thought that you’re leaving home right away.” I asked her. Hanhee won’t have anything else to do here—she had her Arts Class in another day.

 

“Aren’t you going to ask me?” Again, she passed my question. Though I was sighing that she avoided answering me, this question perked me in interest. She noticed me stopped walking and looked back at me. Her long fringe almost covered her eyes but I could still see her. “About…Taehyung,”

 

“I thought that you didn’t want me to mind your business?” I had that confident smug on my face. Hanhee looked away immediately and slightly pouted.

 

“Fine then,” She mumbled.

 

“Who is he?” I asked quickly, walking beside her. There, I found myself down the corridor just beside the basketball court. Normally, the boys would play some games before leaving so I assumed that they’d be heading here as well. Jongdae would bring my bag for me sometimes. I looked at her again, raising my brows. “That Taehyung…it seems like you two are close.” Closer than we are

 

“He’s just a—” She had that moment of hesitance and looked at her feet. Slowly, I put my hand and held her shoulder. She didn’t flinch nor did she question me. Like always, Hanhee stayed there. I could see that she’s confused about everything. Sighing, she put her hand over mine and slid it down. Instead of leaving her hand, I grasp it tighter.

 

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want.” I smiled. I could see that she was opening herself to me little by little. Today was indeed a lot of improvement then we used to be. I had my hopes high when I felt that—maybe; just perhaps, Hanhee actually likes me back. “Let’s take baby steps.” I caressed her finger gently.

 

I heard basketball being dribbled or something but I still had my eyes on her. Hanhee on the other hand, had her attention at the court. “Your friends are here.” She said, slowly taking her hand away. I winced a bit at the loss but managed to nod my head. “You should go.”

 

“Do you want me to walk you home?” I asked her. She shot her head up but I merely shrugged. I could skip playing with the boys—walking her home seemed better. But yet again, seeing her hesitance, I nodded my head. “Or, do you want to stay to watch us?”

 

“I’m taking my leave now. Thanks for your offer.” She turned me down. As expected of Shim Hanhee. “See you…when I see you.” She mumbled quietly, turning away from me.

 

“Hanhee!” I called her. She stopped in her track and slowly turned around.  She nodded her head up and I smiled at that. With that, I waved at her. I found Hanhee cringing and she walked away immediately. That is fine too. That’s more than fine.

 


And this Taehyung is BTS's V

V