An Uncomfortable Feeling

I Thought I Knew About Love

  Listening to her... going on and on about things that really didn't matter to him, Hoya simply tuned out the conversation his girlfriend was going on about. This time it was a friend's new nose looking better than hers. At times like this, Hoya often wondered to himself just why he was dating her. Truthfully speaking, their relationship was built entirely on the fact that they were both attractive and were popular amongst their friends. It seemed only natural that they would get together as is often the case with young popular people. However, they had nothing in common personality wise and the times they were forced to listen to each other talk, it was made all the more obvious.

  "It's time for a new nose. Don't you agree baby?" she asked as Hoya was forced to snap back from his thoughts.
 "Yeah baby, of course." He replied half heartedly, having no idea what she was still talking about.

  On this cool Friday night, at a park down the street from the apartment complex he lived at, Hoya and his girlfriend Han were waiting at a picnic table near a tangle of towering trees for her best friend whom Hoya never met. Hoya was not in the mood to be meeting her as he had just put in long hours at the music store and was feeling tired. However he plastered a smile on his face as he saw a figure he assumed was her approaching

  "Hi Han. Oh, who is this?" said the voice as it reached them. Standing before them stood not a girl, but a guy. It was quite a shock to Hoya who always imagined his girlfriend's best friend to be someone much like herself; tall, skinny, glamorous, tight fitting clothes, lots of makeup and plastic surgery. But instead, standing before him was a completely normal looking boy about his height dressed simply in a black tank top and a pair of grey cut off sweat shorts.

  "Woohyunnie!!!" Oh, so he has a name, Hoya thought. "If you hadn't moved away to the seaside 6 months ago you would know about Hoya. "It's serious between us."

   "Oh Really?" Woohyun replied laughingly.
"We've been dating for... how long baby?"

   Woohyun's head snapped toward Hoya with an unreadable expression on his face. Hoya was finding himself feeling uncomfortable with the sudden attention he was receiving from Woohyun but he managed to pull himself together long enough to mumble an awkward "umm... 3 months now" toward his girlfriend.

   Woohyun sat himself down at the table, directly across from Hoya and next to Han. The three of them sat together in silence eating a box of chicken Woohyun brought with him along with a 6 pack of beer. Hoya kept his head down, immersing himself in eating the chicken, when suddenly that uncomfortable feeling slowly began to creep back up on him. He looked up to find Woohyun staring at him with that same expression on his face. Hoya tried to make the situation less uncomfortable by offering Woohyun a small smile, but that only intensified Woohyun's gaze. Not wanting to meet Woohyun's eyes any longer, Hoya glanced over at Han who was happily downing her fourth can of beer and apparently oblivious to her best friend's odd behavior. Hoya needed to get away.

  "I'm gonna head out now Han, I'll call you in the morning" Hoya said loudly, getting up from the bench to walk home.
"You're leaving Hoyaaaaaa? NO! Weeee haven't even talked with Woohyunnnnieee yet. Whyyyy nowwwwwww?" Han slurred, the effects of the alcohol obvious.

"Bye" Hoya answered shortly as he turned to leave.

  He began walking across the park and in the general direction of his apartment. He couldn't bear being around his drunk girlfriend and her weirdo best friend any longer. He had just reached the edge of the park when he felt a tap on his back. Hoya looked back only to meet the dark brown eyes of Woohyun.

"Umm...?"

silence... staring...

"Hoya?"

awkward... silence...

"Woohyun?"

...

"Umm... I just."

   And suddenly, without really knowing how it happened, Hoya found Woohyun's lips covering his own. Woohyun had his left hand on the back of Hoya's neck. Even more of a surprise, Hoya found himself placing his own left hand on Woohyun's waist as he greeted the lips pressed against his mouth. It felt so nice; warm. It was a feeling he never felt with Han and wanted to enjoy it a little longer. They stood there, kissing, for a long moment until Hoya finally came to his senses. He moved his hand away from Woohyun and stepped back.

"Where's my girlfriend?" Hoya asked, still in confusion over what just happened.

"I'm sorry" Woohyun replied quietly, staring pointedly at the ground. "I sent her home in a cab."

  "Oh. Well, bye I guess" And at that, Hoya turned around to leave. Just like before however, Hoya once again felt a tap on his back. Reluctant to face him once again, Hoya took a deep breath before turning around. Glancing back, Hoya saw Woohyun standing there. A look of obvious sadness and deep shame written all over his face. Hoya couldn't bear to see him like that.

"Hoya." It wasn't a question.

   Woohyun spoke his name ever so softly and it sent an tingling sensation up Hoya's spine. At hearing his name, this time it was Hoya who approached Woohyun. He threw his arms around Woohyun and swung them both to the ground.

It began to rain.

  It felt so nice there, rolling around on the ground, hungrily devouring eachother's mouths while the rain poured over them. Hoya didn't want to stop and he didn't know why. But he didn't care. All he knew was that he loved the feeling of having Woohyun's lips and body against his. This time, however, it was Woohyun who pulled away. He stood up and ran away, leaving Hoya sitting in the grass helpless and confused, watching him go.

Little did he know that they would meet again 3 days later.