When I first saw you

Lucifer

A/N: From now on until...some other point in time, the story will be about Min's first time in the Underworld. 

Min had to hurry. She didn't know how much time she had left until Sungjong came back to seal her in her prison for good. There was no way Min was willing to spend eternity with Gilbreath; she didn't want to spend one more second with that demon. So she was going straight to the source, the root of all evil. She was searching for the Devil himself. But it wasn't as easy as she had expected. There were nothing but bunker after stupid, hellish bunker as far as her eye could see. Logic would dictate that the little red ruler would be somewhere in the middle, but Min had lost all sense of direction when she aimlessly wandered from bunker to bunker. She had taken one step away from her own bunker and was now unable to find it again. It was as if Hell was in flux, constantly moving and changing. It was annoying.

"It's like he doesn't want to be found," Min said with a huff as she ran through the alleyways between the bunkers. Wasn't he supposed to be the ringleader of this circus? What is wrong with this place?! Then Min immediately stopped and hit herself in the head. "Think, Min. Think! If I were Satan, where would I be? , if I was Satan, this place would be waaaaay for fun for one. Well, fun for me anyway," she ended with an evil giggle. She crossed her arms and started to pace with her head down. "None of this stupid, boring crap. Being nagged for eternity? Lame! People should be roasting over spits like rotisserie chicken, dunked in a sea of molten lava, or being pulled like taffy. I'd probably be better at this whole torturing thing. Pft! It's as if Satan doesn't actually want to hurt anybody. OW! ! THAT HURT!" In her random wandering and babbling, Min felt pain for the first time she's been to Hell, and that was because she stubbed her toe on something hard by accident. She picked up her foot and began hoping around. "Figures," she mumbled wincing in pain. She put her foot back down. "What was it?" she asked looking for the thing she stubbed her toe on. She found it, a set of marble stairs. Her eye grew large, and a satisfied smile crept on her face. She immediately looked up and laughed in relief. Min finally found it, the Devil's lair. Well, lair wouldn't be the right word. Actually, there was no one word to describe this monstrosity. It was like some Greekish temple turned medieval palace with some hint of a modern-day mansion, but with a creepy twist. She crept closer towards it cautiously. "Are those people?" she asked herself. The building looked as if it was being supported on the backs of mortals, with daggers sticking in their sides and welts from lashing on their backs. Is this where the worst of the worst went? But something was off. Min gathered enough courage to touch one of the men. "Figures," she sighed. It was cold and slick, just a statue. She kicked the ankle of the statue out of frustration. "Isn't anything real here?!" she complained. 

Min turned her attention away from the gory-looking statues and climbed up the stairs. She reached the doors which were marked with a large, cursive "L." Min smirked. "What does the L stand for Loser?" She grabbed the door handle and gave it a tug, but it wouldn't budge. It was locked. "Seriously," Min groaned. "The Devil locks his doors. Who in Hell is he afraid of?"

Then the door opened just a crack, enough for a woman with a haughty expression and an upturned nose to poke her head through. "It's to keep people like you out," she stated, her words thick with disgust, as if she was lowering standards greatly by talking to Min. "Now buzz off!"

Then the door opened wider, and another woman could be seen. She had long black hair, cascading in waves over her bare shoulders. Her button-down shirt was ed so low that you could see her bra. "Now Pride, is that anyway to talk to a guest? And we haven't had one in ages," she said, ending with a sensuous pout.

Pride rolled her eyes. "That's because the boss doesn't want any. He wants to be alone."

The scantly clad woman leaned on the door frame. "Don't I know it," she said sadly, running her long fingers through her hair.

"Lust," Pride reprimanded. "If you actually tried to do your job instead of getting into his pants, we'd be so much more efficient."

"But I wouldn't want to deprive you," she said, tapping Pride on the nose for emphasis, "of doing more work. I know how much you enjoy it."

"Now you're starting to sound like Sloth."

While the two were arguing, Min took the opportunity to slither around the women and get inside. The two didn't even notice that she'd left. Who were those freaks anyway? Lust and Pride..the seven deadly sins? If they're here then...Min's speculations were confirmed. Just inside of the building was like a lobby of an business, but with 7 large desks flanking a opaque glass door. 2 of the desks were unoccupied, belonging to the women arguing still at the front door. But by just looking at the occupants of the other desks, Min could easily tell who the others were.

"So I take it you're Sloth," she said picking up the arm of a woman who had fallen asleep on her desk. "Nice to meet you." She shook the hand and let go of it, causing the arm to crash onto the desk. Sloth still did not wake up. Min walked over to the desk next to Sloth's, which was covered in a miniature feast. "Gluttony," she simply greeted with a nod of her head. Min then began to grab for a breadstick that was on Gluttony's desk. It's been so long since she had last eaten, especially since she had no idea how long she'd been in Hell. "Do you mind if I eat this?" she asked sweetly. But Gluttony looked up at her, bore her teeth, and growled. "Okay, I guess you do. I'll just be over there," Min responded, slowly backing away from the beastly woman.

She walked over to the other side of the room, which was significantly more noisy. All three of the women were shouting at once. One had a plaque reading "Customer Services" on her desk, and the woman was in a heated debate with the person on the other end. "No! I won't do that. Why? Because I hate you. Jesus! Shut the F up," she cussed and slammed the phone into the receiver.

"Who was that?" Min asked.

"Jesus Christ," the woman spat out like a swear.

Min frowned and crossed her arms. "I was just asking. No reason to get your in a bunch, Wrath. Someone has anger issues," she muttered.

Wrath stood up and slammed her hands on her desk. "Haha, wise guy. For your information that was the real Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Now F---- off so I can do my job!" she bellowed. Then her phone rang again. "Hello," she growled. "Look Buddha, I don't have time for your ! No, I will not calm down," she started arguing with the eastern deity. Min practically ran from Wrath's line of vision and moved onto the last two desks.

"Greed and Envy, I presume," Min said approaching the two desks, which were manned by two women who were practically identical in every way. 

One of the women rolled her eyes. "No! I'm Envy. She's Greed. Gah! Why can't anybody get it right?"

"Does it even matter," Min accidentally spoke out loud. She never liked these two when she was alive because they were her own worst vices. She was always fighting against her greed, trying to keep it in check, and envy always seemed to naturally follow that. People were envious of her, and she of them.

Greed, Min thought, jumped up from her seat. "Of course it matters," she argued. "We're two completely different beings. I want your shoes," Greed said jumping over her desk and ripping the shoes from Min's feet.

"And I want to be you because you have those shoes," Envy explained as she tried to whisk Min's shoes away from Greed's grasp.

Min, barefoot and cold, held out her hand for her shoes. "Thanks for the explanation," she said sarcastically. "Can I have my shoes back now?"

"NO!" Greed said defensively putting the shoes behind her back. "They're mine now!" she shouted as she hid behind her desk. Envy, as usual, followed after her.

"You'll never see those things again," a voice came from behind. It was Lust, who was accompanied by Pride (another one of Min's main vices). Lust, Min liked. Lust had always helped her out in tough situations, playing on the instincts of men to get what she wanted. Lust was helpful and useful. Something that got her out of trouble and not into it, unlike the other three. 

"She still has to get out of here. The boss isn't accepting any visitors now," Pride demanded, crossing her arms and stamping her foot impatiently.

Lust gently put a hand on Pride's shoulder and whispered into her ear, "Come on, Pride-y. He hasn't seen anyone except us in literally ages. It'll be fun."

Pride shrugged Lust off. "Look, I have no time for you and your voyeurism..." she began to argue but Min interrupted.

"You seem like one of those people who take their work seriously, who always lives by the rules," Min spoke.

Pride turned around and nodded, "Yes, of course." Lust started to look amused because she could see where this was going.

Min began to walk around Pride. "You know, there are other things to be proud of besides your work," she explained.

"Like what?" the sin asked curiously. Min had her hook-line-and-sinker.

Min stopped in front of Pride. "Like breaking the rules and being a bad-."

Pride thought for a few moments and reluctantly agreed. "Yes, yes, I think of myself as quite the rule-breaker."

"So?" Lust whispered.

"Fine," Pride finally gave in, walking up to the glass office doors and unlocking them. "You can see him now." She opened the door for Min. "But if you provoke the wrath of Satan, don't blame me," she warned as she pushed Min through the glass doors and slammed them closed. 

Yes, Min cheered victoriously in her mind. I am finally in! I'm going to see Satan! Wohooo!...Holy ! I'm going to see Satan. Maybe I didn't think this entirely through. Damn my curiosity. That should be the 8th deadly sin. Maybe there's still time, and I can sneak out before he notices. He's not omnipresent like God, right? I'll just tip-toe out of here, and...

"Who are you?" a slick voice called to her. "I don't remember having an appointment."

Min giggled nervously and slowly turned around to the source of the voice. Her jaw dropped as soon as she saw him. Sitting behind a large black desk, looking up at her with a face devoid of expression, it couldn't be the Devil. "You...you're," she stuttered in shock.

"Lucifer," the man stated. He put down the papers in his hand and brought one of his hands to his lips. Those lips.

"But you're..." Min began but couldn't finish.

"Handsome?" Lucifer finished for her. Min nodded. He let out a short chuckle. "I'm supposed to be alluring, you know. Tempting."

Min clapped her hands. "Well, mission accomplished," she praised. The man in front of her was unnaturally attractive, impossibly good-looking. Well, I guess he isn't human so, she concluded. But he was also so cold and distant. His expression hardly showed that he just received an unexpected visit from a complete stranger. No signs of shock whatsoever. Maybe the millennia he served as the king of Hell had gotten rid of that sense, no longer able to be surprised. Lucifer probably had seen, heard, and done it all.

Lucifer then returned his attention to his papers. "So what angel are you?"

Min laughed. "You think I'm an angel?" she asked, pointing to herself. Lucifer nodded. His nonchalant answer just sent her over the edge, and Min collapsed in laughter.

Finally, a small sign of shock appeared on his face, a raised eyebrow. "You're not?" he asked.

"Not even close," Min responded, wiping tears from her eyes.

"Then a demon," he guessed cocking his head slightly to the right.

"Nope," Min replied, puffing her cheeks as she said her answer.

Lucifer put down the papers and ran his fingers through his jet black hair. He was obviously growing irritated with Min's guessing game. "A saint?" he asked.

Min doubled over in a renewed fit of laughter and had to hold herself up by clutching onto Lucifer's desk. He carefully removed some of his stacks of papers so that she wouldn't wrinkle them. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she finally answered."Whew! That's a good one. No!"

"A numen?" Lucifer asked biting the inside of his cheek.

"What's that?" Min asked breathlessly, still coming out of her laughing fit.

"Any type of deity at all?" he asked, ready to finish this childish game.

"Ddaeng! Wrong!" Min said with a snap of her fingers.

Lucifer groaned softly as he rubbed his face in his hands. "I give up," he finally said. "What are you?"

"A human."

Lucifer's eyes widened at her response for a split second before returning to their regular size. Min had officially given the Devil the biggest shock he's had in years. He stood up from his seat and leaned over his desk, analyzing Min's face with narrowed eyes. "You can't be," he stated.

Min was blushing under his intense gaze and the fact that his face was only inches from her own, but she firmly held her ground, not giving in. She knew that he was just trying to coax the truth out of her. She had used the same tactic when she was dealing with fellow criminals on the surface. But there was only one problem. Min wasn't lying. "But I am."

"You're dead, right?" he asked looking her up and down. 

Min nodded and as she sat herself on Lucifer's desk where he had previously cleared it. She picked up one of the papers on the desk and pretended to read it, acting like she wasn't giving Lucifer her time of day, that he didn't intimidate her. But in truth, Min was petrified. "Pretty sure. I've been in Hell for awhile," she answered in a distracted voice.

Lucifer ripped the paper from her hands and put his hand on her lower back, pushing her off of his desk. "Then you can't be here," he said coldly. "You should be in your bunker."

"Yea, that little messenger angel said the same thing," Min responded, crossing her arms across her chest, resting on her bare heels, wishing that she still had shoes. Lucifer's entire office floor was a single slab of cold, hard marble. Her feet were starting to freeze against its surface.

Lucifer cocked his head again. "You met Sungjong?" he asked curiously. Min nodded wordlessly. If she wasn't mistaken, Lucifer's cold, dead eyes were starting to sparkle, very very slightly, like they've finally been stirred back to life. But his voice was still steady and slick, "Huh, that's strange."

"Tell me about it. No, seriously, tell me about it. I am completely lost," Min joked, sitting back down on his desk. Her feet were getting cold, and she wasn't able to take it any longer. She needed reprieve, and to her surprise, Lucifer allowed it. However he seemed preoccupied at the moment.

Bringing his long fingers to his lips, he thought for a few seconds before arriving to a conclusion, "Maybe...maybe you're not entirely dead." Then he pressed a large red button on his intercom system, which was hidden behind his mountain of paperwork. He leaned in and demanded, "Lust, call him in."

"Right away, sir," Min heard a sensual voice harken back from the box.

Min looked down the intercom curiously and then up at Lucifer, who was watching the door. "Call who in?" she asked. Lucifer didn't even bother responding because the glass office doors suddenly burst wide open, and someone entered in with a hurricane of black shadows. Min leaned backwards and clutched tightly onto the edge of the desk, bracing herself for what was about to come. But she had no reason to fear.

The shadows flew straight past Min with swiftness like the wind, aiming for the deity behind her. Then the dark shadows enveloped Lucifer and slightly dissipated, revealing Sungyeol hugging the Devil tightly. "L! It's been too long," the Grim Reaper cheerily spoke. Min saw the corners of Lucifer's perpetual frown twitch upwards for half a second. Did...did Satan just smile? Lucifer lifted up his arms to Sungyeol's gently peeling Death from his body. But Sungyeol didn't mind and was still smiling his toothy grin. "What's up?" he asked. L nodded towards the woman sitting on his desk. "Oh, look it's my friend, Min-ah!"

"Friend?" Min and L exclaimed in unison. 

Sungyeol walked up to Min's side and put his hand on her shoulder. "Yea, you said so yourself," he stated. Min mentally groaned. She had forgotten the lies of flattery she had said earlier to Death about wanting to be his friend. She thought that she would never see the annoying ghoul again. After all how many times was a mortal supposed to meet with Death? Only once. But Sungyeol seemed oblivious to Min's less than excited demeanor. "What are you doing in Hell? You seemed so nice," he asked. Min thought she could hear a curt chuckle behind her, but when she turned around, all she could see was a stone-faced man.

Min shrugged and turned her attention back to Death. "Well, apparently the judge at the pearly gates didn't think so," she mumbled as she swung her legs back and forth.

"Sungkyu? The Keeper?" Sungyeol exclaimed in shock. He rested his head on his scythe. "Huh? Normally, he's pretty lenient about that stuff. You must've been really bad. Naughty girl," he ended slapping Min playfully on the shoulder. Min giggled and was about to say something witty, but she was cut -off.

"So Death, is she dead?" L impatiently interjected.

Sungyeol took his head off of its resting place and nodded emphatically. "Yea, look," he commanded as he ran his scythe through Min's body. It sailed right through as if it was cutting through smoke. 

"Hey!" Min whined feeling slightly violated by Death. She wondered what would have happened if she hadn't been dead. She could suddenly imagine warm crimson blood splatter across the cold marble floor. It sent shivers up her spine.

"Yep. Totally dead," Sungyeol confidently concluded. "Why?"

L rolled his tongue in his mouth in thought. Min gulped. What he had said earlier was right: he was tempting. "She got out and wandered in here. Apparently Sungjong is having problems with her," he declared as he left his desk and walked over to a scarlet filing cabinet in the corner of his office. When he approached it, one of the drawers automatically opened up for him, and L began to methodically survey the files inside.

While Min was admiring the Devil's profile, Sungyeol abruptly interrupted her. "So do you want to hang out? You know, since you escaped your bunker and all," he asked as he was rolling his scythe between his hands.

"Uh, I guess," Min said, not being able to come up with an excuse. She was afraid that she was losing her touch as a con-woman. It was humiliating. "It's not like I have anything else going on," she mumbled under her breath.

Once again, Min's less than enthusiastic response did not faze the Grim Reaper, who was apparently desperate for any type of companionship, even an unwilling one. "You can help me out with picking up the dead," he began excitedly. "They'll listen to you. You're pretty. I mean, I'm pretty too, but my uniform scares people off. I asked God for a new one, but he said no. He's a stickler for traditions. But some traditions just need to be put to rest, am I right? I think that I should wear a nice three piece suit. Oh, maybe a bow tie. What do you think about bowties, Min?" He ended his tirade blinking his eyes expectantly at Min, awaiting an answer.

But Min was only half-listening, still observing L as he closed a drawer and another one opened. "Huh? Oh yea, very James Bond," she finally answered Sungyeol. "Hey, Grimmy, what's he doing?" she asked pointing to L.

"Probably looking for your file," Death answered with a shrug.

"My file?!" Min choked out in shock. Panic took over her body, and she immediately twisted her neck to watch the Devil shuffling through the files. Her file, what could possibly be in there? Min didn't just have one skeleton in her closet. She had several. More than half of which she was personally responsible for their untimely demise. And now they were about to come to light, all of her vices and faults. Sungyeol sure wouldn't think that she was a nice girl any longer. But what would Lucifer think? Wait, am I really worried about the Devil's opinion about me? Min don't be fooled by his handsome face. He's the one who put you here. He definitely already knows, Min's mind whirled.

"Yea, so you called me Grimmy. Is that like my nickname or something? Can I call you, Minnie?" Sungyeol asked trying to regain his "friend's" attention, but to no avail. Min was still fixated on L who just pulled out a rather thick file from the scarlet drawer, which closed on its own.

"Here it is," he calmly stated as he walked over and sat down in his seat, reading the file carefully. Min began to chew her lower lip and grabbed onto the desk so tightly that her knuckles grew white. This is it. He's going to send me back into the bunker. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he made my punishment worse. He was too lenient before. Then L's stoic voice broke through her thoughts, "Huh? That's weird."

"What?" Sungyeol asked impatiently, but Min remained speechless, holding her breath (it's not like she needed it anyway).

"Your punishment seems to be the standard temporary one. You come in. Take a few tests. Learn some discipline and humbleness. Then we send you on your way out," Lucifer explained as he flipped through the papers in her file. Wait! Standard? Temporary? Way out? Min furrowed her eyebrows as she thought and studied L more closely. Am I actually going to be able to get out of here? Am I not that bad? HA! ers. L continued his explanation as he set down the file and folded his hands, "Some paperwork must've fallen through the cracks." He pushed the red button on the intercom again. "Lust, send him in." Min reached for her file stealthily as L was busying himself with the intercom, but he still caught her in the act and slapped her hand away. He "tsk-ed" her as he pulled the file from off the desk and into a drawer in his desk.

"Yay! It's a party!" Sungyeol cheered throwing his hands up in the air, including the scythe. Min was glad she was dead because she was almost sliced in half due to Death's carelessness.

"Who's coming in now?" Min asked. But a few seconds later, Min wondered why she even asked because the glass doors were once again pulled open revealing a frazzled looking Sungjong in his long white gown.

"Oh L," he greeted as he walked up to the desk. "I was just about to see you, but then Sungkyu got a paper cut from the Book, and I needed to get band aids because the healing angel was too busy helping mortals. Stupid mortals, they're going to die anyway. No offense, Min," he ended facing Min with an apologetic smile.

"Uh...none taken?" Min said apprehensively, rubbing the back of her neck. 

"What did He say?" L asked curtly.

"God?" Sungjong asked for clarification. "He said to let her do whatever." 

Min was contemplating who the "her" was, but her question was shortly answered. Sungyeol threw his arms around her shoulders, claiming Min. "I call her! She's going to be my assistant," he insisted.

Sungjong tore Sungyeol's arm off of Min and whined, "If anybody needs an assistant, it's me. I do most of the work here."

The Grim Reaper rolled his eyes. "Yea, here," he stated pointing towards the ground but then he pointed upwards. "But out there, I'm the busiest guy."

L cleared his throat, breaking into the bickering couple's discussion. Everyone turned towards him. "Does anybody else find this strange?" he asked.

"Yes," Min answered, but she was drowned out by the other two's resounding "NO!"

"I gave up trying to understand God's plan a looooong time ago," Sungyeol said waving his hand.

"Yea, he's a little out there," Sungjong retorted, pointing to his head insinuating that God might not be completely sane.

"This is a blessing. My blessing," Death declared as he grabbed onto Min's arm and pulled her off of the desk. "Come on, Minnie. Let's go!" he commanded as he dragged her towards the door.

"Can't I just stay here?" Min asked as she tried to dig her heels into the ground, but the slick marble allowed for no friction to halt Death's step. So she was just gliding across the floor riding on her heels like a figure skater.

But her question stopped the Grim Reaper dead in his tracks. He faced Min. "With L?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yea," Min answered.

"Really?" she heard a semi-shocked voice call behind her. She turned to see Lucifer dropping his cool exterior. His mouth was slightly agape, and his eyes twice their size, searching around the office as if he was convinced she was referring to another L. Min nodded, showing that she indeed meant him. He shut his mouth, and Min swore that she saw it twitch upwards again.

And that was exactly why she wanted to stay. Lucifer was completely against her expectations, smashing her old conception of the Devil with a figurative sledgehammer. And there was the fact that he almost seemed...gentle, despite the fact that he was the ruler of Hell and he had a shelf lined with shrunken heads behind his desk. But the way he reacted when the Grim Reaper hugged him, the way he softly shoved her off of his desk, even right now when he didn't seem to believe that she wanted to stay with him, he seemed...cute. You know, despite his y demeanor. All in all, he was an enigma, and Min's insatiable curiosity wanted to solve this little demonic puzzle.

But before she could, she felt Sungyeol tug on her arm again. "Eh! He's boring. All he does is push papers. I get to poke at dead bodies all day long. Come on, it's fun," he tried to coerce her. Death really knew how to win a girl over.

Min realized it was pointless to struggle against him any longer. "Do I have a choice?" Min asked, but she was pretty sure that she already knew the answer.

"Nope!" the Grim Reaper exclaimed as he shut the glass doors behind them.

She thought so.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before she knew it, she was on the surface again, mingling with the living…sort of. Min and Sungyeol wandered on earth completely invisible. They were only ghosts. And while it was initially fun hitting unsuspecting humans and making inappropriate gestures in front of them without them knowing, it got old fast. Especially when they had to get down to business and collect souls.

Poking dead bodies wasn’t as exciting as Sungyeol made it sound, and most people’s deaths were rather, well, ordinary and sad. They frequented hospitals all over the world, leading the souls who had died of cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses into the dark forest on the other side. And it broke Min’s dead heart when they had to collecting children and sometimes even babies who did not survive their first year. It was a wonder how the Grim Reaper managed to smile so broadly after facing things that could only be described as tragedies. Maybe he was secretly a sadist. But Min doubted that anyone could actually find pleasure in this job.

Also Sungyeol wasn’t lying. The dead did run from him, and they ran faster than Min thought they would. They spent most of their time chasing down the souls, cornering them, and Min would have to restrain them as Sungyeol wrapped them in a inescapable gold chain.

While Min clung to the knees of an elderly woman who had just died and whose corpse was currently being gnawed on by her several hungry cats, she asked the Reaper as he tied the chain around the woman’s bony wrists, “Why didn’t you use that on me?”

Death concentrated as he tied the chain into a loose knot (it didn’t matter because the soul still couldn’t escape) and replied, “Like I said before, you’re nice. Not everyone reacts like you.”

“Stop. You’re making me blush,” Min joked as she let go of the grandma’s knees.

Sungyeol tugged on the chain, and the woman followed, finally submitting to the specter. “But it’s true,” he said with a grin. “You’re unique, Minnie.”

Min winced. “I told you not to call me that, Grimmy.”

“Then don’t call me Grimmy,” he retorted.

And while they chasing down a man who had just electrified himself by stupidly trying to dig out his toast from the toaster with a knife, Min asked Death another question on her mind, “What’s the deal with Lucifer?”

Sungyeol laughed, “What isn’t?” He grabbed the fleeing soul by his mullet, pulling him over to Min so that she could hold onto him. When she wrapped her arms around the soul’s waist, pinning his arms to his side, the mulleted spirit grinned ersely and tried to rub his hand up her side. Min giggled with saccharine sweetness with her best false smile as she kneed him in the crotch. “Nice!” Sungyeol remarked as he tied the chain around the  man’s neck so that it looked like a leash and the soul looked like the dog he was.

Min rolled her eyes. “You know what I mean,” she said, letting go of the gross soul and shaking her limbs trying to rid herself of the soul’s germs. “Lucifer is not what I expected. He’s a little strange.”

Sungyeol tugged roughly on the chain, and the man almost fell over. Death turned towards Min, “He didn’t used to always be like that. But something happened, and he locked himself up in that place for centuries. When I said I didn’t see L for a looooooooooooong time, I meant it. He didn’t let anybody into his house for thousands of years, until you broke in.”

Min rubbed the back of her neck. “Really? What happened to him?” she asked.

Sungyeol pursed his lips tightly, fighting back his words until he had carefully chosen them. “Hell if I know,” he finally answered. Min shot him a skeptical look. Sungyeol defended himself, “Look, I can speculate all you want, and tell you all of the rumors. But they’ll all be wrong. No one really knows for sure what happened to him. So it’s better not to talk about it. The point is that thanks to you. I saw my best friend for the first time in a really really really long time.”

Min wasn’t pleased with the Reaper’s answer but one thing was for sure. Her definition of Lucifer acting weird and Sungyeol’s was drastically different. She was referring to his somewhat gentle demeanor, and he to L’s hermit-like behavior. Min chewed on the inside of her cheek. Now she had even more questions and no answers.  

“So your best friend is Satan?” she asked. Death nodded enthusiastically. “Well, that’s sad.”

“Shut up!” Sungyeol gently demanded. “It’s one more friend than you have, which is one. Me!” Min scoffed, but Death ignored it and took her hands into his. “Come on! Let’s get out of here, and get rid of this thing,” he said, referring to the mulleted spirit who know was trying to use the chain as dental floss. Death would have to disinfect that later for ectoplasm. Then they played ring-around-the-rosy into the underworld.

After opening her eyes and magically appearing in the Black Forest on the other side, Min scoffed, “I’m getting really sick of doing that.” Her head was still spinning, the black trees swirling around her. She shook her head and blinked several times.

Sungyeol stuck out his tongue. “Too bad. I’m in charge. I’m your boss.”

Min chuckled in her mind. She didn’t have to take his abuse anymore. She didn’t have to forcefully drag one more sad soul into the underworld, tearing them apart from their living relatives, and she sure as Hell wasn’t going to play one more game of ring-around-the-rosy. No, she had a plan, and it was hidden in her bra.

Death, Min, and the dog-like man, who was still being dragged by the chain, walked up to the Ferryman, Hoya. The man gave his only possession he had with him, the knife that had inadvertently killed him, as payment. He had offered to cut off his mullet with the knife, but even Hoya didn’t want the stringy mess. When the man got into the boat and Sungyeol turned around making his way back into the forest, that was when Min took action. In her bra was, yes her s, but also a pearl necklace which she had snatched from the dead cat lady. She quickly threw it into Hoya’s hands and declared, “I’m coming with you!” Hoya nodded and allowed her onto his rickety ship, which surprisingly could hold three people.

As they were sailing away, Death had noticed that he was missing his companion. He turned around and saw Min on the ferry already a few feet away from the bank of the river. “Yah! Where are you going? We still have lots of work to do!” he yelled running towards the bank, waving his scythe in the air.

“You’re not the boss of me! Plus, it’s boring,” Min yelled back, gripping onto the edge of the raft.

Sungyeol looked crestfallen, “But…but…we’re collecting the soul of an old Hollywood actor next!”

As tempting as it was to Min, she had to refuse. It was time for her to move on. After all, even in death, she still had ADD. Nothing could keep her attention for long. “Maybe next time! Bye!” she yelled farewell to Sungyeol. Then she turned around, not even bothering to wait and see Sungyeol’s reaction. She stretched her limbs and reclined on the boat.

Yep, no one was the boss of her.