Final

Dear Madeleine

Eli sighed. He looked the person in front of him in the eyes. He nervously unfolded the wrinkly piece of paper in his hands, and took a deep breath as he started to read what was written in it.

“Dear Madeleine.

The first time I ever saw you was six years ago. We were both freshmen in the same school. Luckily, we were also had all of our classes together. Now, that’s fate, don’t you think?

Well, anyways, we had all of our classes together and in the beginning I was afraid to talk to you. So I just watched you from afar. My friends told me that I was being creepy but I didn’t really care. Seeing you was enough for me.

We didn’t talk to each other until we went to that overnight field trip with our class. That night, when you were sitting all alone under the big tree, reading a book, I finally built up some courage and went to talk to you.

You smiled like an angel.

We were talking about movies we’d like to see, when you heard some mocking. Some of the popular kids were bullying one of the geekier girls for wearing a jacket with cars on it. You asked me to hold your book, and said that you’ll be right back. You went to the bullies, and stood in front of the bullied girl. You told them that you thought her jacket was nice, that it was a designer jacket, and that they shouldn’t care about what she likes to wear. They looked at you in shock as the helpless girl grabbed your arm and whispered ‘thank you.’ You nodded and told the bullies to leave her alone. Then you returned right back to me. I looked at you in awe. I told that you were really brave. You told me that you just did what needed to be done.

I think that was the time when I really fell for you.

You and I became really good friends. When you were having trouble, you always came to me. When I felt bad about something, I’d always call you first.

Do you remember our first kiss? We were at a Christmas party, and you noticed mistletoe. You stood under it and said that you’ve never been kissed under one. I took my chance and kissed you. We moved farther away from the crowd, and we kissed again. It was our sophomore year, right?

So that’s how we became a couple.

In our senior year, I was really worried that I might never see you again after graduation. I spent as much time with you as I possibly could. You didn’t know what you wanted to do after graduation. I, however, got a job from Seoul. I was excited. You were really happy for me.

We didn’t know if we could be together. All I knew was that I loved you, and I didn’t want to let you go. As the year went on, we both got really nervous about the future. About our future.

Finally, you decided to stay in the U.S. Honestly, it broke my heart.

We took things slowly, didn’t we? At least, with the ‘I love you’ thing. The first time I ever said that to you was when were at the airport. You were crying, and I tried hard not to. You told me that you loved me too. But I had to leave, and there was no way you could come with me.

So, that’s why it was a complete surprise when six months later you called and told me that you wanted to move to Korea just to be with me. You said that you thought about it a lot. You already got yourself a place to study here.

Now we’ve been living together for about a year and a half. I can honestly say, it has been the happiest time of my life. I love everything about you, Maddy. I love waking up next to you every morning. I love how cheer me up every time I’m upset. I love how you put up with my bad jokes and listen to my corny rants, just like this.

I just wish that the rest of our lives will be happy like this.

So, Madeleine, will you marry me?

Love, Eli.”

Madeleine gasped at the sight of Eli kneeling down in front of her and holding a beautiful diamond ring. She covered with her hands. Tears started to form in her eyes as she nodded over and over again.

“Yes” she finally whispered. Eli put the ring on her finger. He got up and pulled Madeleine into his tight embrace.

“I love you, Maddy” he said, close to crying from happiness.

“I love you too, Eli” Madeleine whispered as they went in for a kiss.