Standing Alone

Standing Alone

Hakyeon laid down on his back, gritting his teeth together as he felt the sharp pain shoot up his back.

"Not the best idea to lie on my back," Hakyeon chuckled bitterly as he turned himself over, only to groan from the pain again.

During their most recent dance practice, the leader had fallen a little too hard at the beginning of hyde's dance, and also at the wrong angle, causing him to slightly injure his back. Although s immediately stopped practice to check up on him, Hakyeon waved it away with a smile, claiming that he was fine and it was just a mere fall. However, his back violently protested as he secretly winced throughout the three-hour-long dance practice.

"Aish, this hurts so bad," Hakyeon whines, his hand reaching to his lower back and rubbing subtly to hopefully ease the pain.

"Yah, gwenchana?" A voice echoed in the practice room. Startled, Hakyeon scrambled up, ignoring the pain in his lower back.

"Tae... Tae... Leo-ah, don't do that! You know I have a weak heart!" Hakyeon sputtered, hands going up to his chest and clutching the fabric above his heart. As if that would calm you down. Taekwoon thought. "Anyway, what did you want?" Hakyeon inquired, making his way to the main vocalist. It was obvious that he was in pain, as evident from the way he awkwardly shuffled over to Leo and the hand that never left his lower back.

"You slipped during practice," Taekwoon replied matter-of-factly.

"No Sherlock," Hakyeon grumbled. He didn't want the others to worry about him. He's the leader after all and  he should doing the worrying.

"Are you... Are you ohkay?" Taekwoon asked quietly, voice laced with concern. Even though it didn't seem like it, the chic main vocalist of VIXX really cared a lot about s. Being quiet also lead to him being able to read others fairly well. And Hakyeon's expression was one of pain, but masked behind an irritated face.

"Of course I'm fine," N laughed, before turning serious again. "It's late, you should sleep soon," he said as he ushered the taller out of the practice room.

"You too," Taekwoon replied, trying to reach for the elder’s wrist to pull him along, only to be rejected as Hakyeon jerked his hand away.

"I'm fine. Go back to the dorm first. I'll stay for a little while," Hakyeon voiced out, making his way back into the room. He silently prayed that Taekwoon would really leave.

Sensing the fact that the leader wanted to be left alone, Taekwoon let out a soft "Neh," and proceeded to make his way out of the room, closing the bright orange door.

But Taekwoon wasn't gonna leave his friend in the room like that - definitely not. Especially when he suspected the other had suffered a rather serious back injury.


Hakyeon sighed in relief as the door closed, lying back down on the parquet floors - face first this time.

"Ah, apa," he groaned, both hands massaging his lower back now, trying to soothe the pain.

"I should get an ice pack for this," the tanned male mumbled, making his way over to the mini-fridge. Unfortunately, the mini-fridge was behind the black curtains that they drew whenever someone wanted to change. Due to the darkness (and maybe his carelessness), Hakyeon slipped, again as he stepped on the silky fabric, landing on his back, again.

"Ah!" Hakyeon let out a pained cry as he felt the tears well up in his eyes. It sure hurts a lot more than it did before... Pushing himself up, he hobbled over to the mini-fridge and took out the ice pack. As he made his way back to his spot on the polished floor, the leader's breathing began ragged and his vision clouded from the pain. The last thing he remembered was hearing a faint "Hakyeon-ah!" before blacking out.


"Ah!" Taekwoon heard a cry from behind the door, which had followed after a slight thump. Curious, he timidly pushed the fluorescent orange door ajar and peeked at the older. He felt his body stiffen up, seeing the other lying on the floor, clutching his back and gritting his teeth tightly.

He observed intently as the tan male stumbled to the mini-fridge to take out an ice pack. Then slowly pushed the door more and more, as he noticed how the shorter was beginning to lose consciousness.

"Hakyeon-ah!" The main vocalist exclaimed as he rushed over, catching the leader in mid-fall.

"Hakyeon? Hakyeon!" Taekwoon cried, tapping Hakyeon's cheek.

"Hakyeon, can you hear me?" Taekwoon tried again, putting his ear towards Hakyeon's nose, and looked at his chest to check for signs of breathing. Thankfully, he saw the leader's chest gently rising and falling, and could hear the faint breathing. Carefully picking the older up bridal style, Taekwoon laid him on the black leather sofa at the back of their room as he whipped out his phone to call their manager.

"Yeobosaeyo?" A sleepy voice answered.

"Yeobosaeyo? Manager Mickey?" Taekwoon spoke into the receiver. Even though that wasn't their manager's real name, the alias they had used during MTV Diary filming kind of stuck to them.

"Neh. Leo-yah, what's up?" The manager asked, slowly getting up.

"N passed out," Taekwoon replies bluntly, glancing over at the unconscious leader.

"N what?" The manager sat up straight, fully awake by now.

"Shhh... Don't wake the other members," Taekwoon whispered, as if the younger ones could hear him.

"Relax," the manager chuckled. "Wonshik is practically in a coma. The other kids are too far from my room to hear you. Besides, I doubt they’d be asleep," The manager paused to breathe, then continuing with a more serious tone. "Now what did you mean by 'N passed out'? Don't joke around here Taekwoon."

Taekwoon heaved an exasperated sigh. "I'm not joking! He really fainted! I think it has something to do with his fall during practice today."

The manager hummed, urging Taekwoon to continue.

"I think he hurt his back really bad; we should send him to the doctor's," Taekwoon decided, hoping that the manager would agree.

"But it's late," the manager replied, "and if we went to a hospital, we'll be asked to wait - it's not really a life-threatening case, after all. Just bring him home,"

Taekwoon clenched his fists, wanting to punch the manager. Not a life-threatening case? You never know until you get it inspected! What if he fractured his spine? What if he gets paralyzed? Taekwoon had wanted to yell this at their manager, but restrained himself as he thought through the manager's words. Letting out a defeated sigh, he replied, "Arasso hyung. I'll bring N back,"

Heaving yet another sigh, Taekwoon slipped his phone back into his pocket and proceeded to pick up the leader. Using his legs to open and close the doors, Taekwoon exited the building and made his way back to the dorm, stopping every now and then to catch his breath. The leader was not as light as he thought.


Leo kicked the front door to signal to the manager that he was back. Unfortunately, the manager seemed to have forgotten their phone conversation and dumbly called out, "Who is it?" Leo wanted to reply, but he decided against it as he was still trying to catch his breath. He kicked the door again, hoping that their manager would get the hint or some brains Taekwoon thought inwardly.

"Alright! Alright! I'm coming! Geez," he heard their manager grumble, followed by the soft click of the lock.

"Oh! Taekwoon!" the manager gasped as he remembered the earlier phone conversation. His eyes trailed down the panting male and saw VIXX's leader currently unconscious in his arms.

"Come in, come in," he gripped the door handle and opened the door wider, allowing Taekwoon to enter.

Once Taekwoon had put Hakyeon on the sofa, and had caught his breath, Manager Mickey spoke up, "So, mind telling me what happened?"

Taekwoon took a deep breath as he recounted the incident to their reliable manager; not missing out a single tiny detail.


Hakyeon groaned as he woke up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Casually, he tried standing up, only to be reminded of his back injury. As he gingerly laid down on his futon, he noticed that he was back into his room. I'm home? But I don't remember making my way back! Hakyeon thought as he tried to recall the events that happened the previous night.

I slipped. I fainted? Did I faint? I heard someone calling my name... Someone called my name! Someone was there! Hakyeon's eyes widened at the realization that he had unintentionally troubled someone else to bring him back. Looking around him, he noticed that his roommates were nowhere to be seen. Checking the time on his customized pink VIXX watch, his jaw dropped as he realized that it was already ten in the morning.

"Omo! I have practice today!" Hakyeon cried as he slowly pushed himself into a squatting position, awkwardly waddling off his mattress. He clumsily folded the mattress before cautiously standing up, deciding to make his way to the company.

Why didn't anyone wake me up? thought the leader as he went around doing his daily routine - washing up, having breakfast and getting changed. Why didn't Jaehwannie wake me up? Hakyeon thought as he pulled out a Raglan top and a pair of sweatpants, recalling how the younger was often obnoxiously loud in the mornings. Slipping on his favourite pair of shoes and grabbing his bag, he walked out of the door and gently closed it, listening for the automatic clicking sound to assure that the door has been locked.


"Hakyeon-hyung!" Hongbin greeted, looking at Hakyeon with wide eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Um, I came for practice...?" Hakyeon replied, although his tone sounded more like he was questioning Hongbin rather than answering his question.

Hongbin gave him a confused look, "I thought Taekwoon-hyung told me that you're on a break today?"

"On a break? Why would I be on a break?" the idea sounded absurd in Hakyeon's mind. He's never used to having breaks, holidays or vacations. Having begun his training when he was rather young, and also leaving home to learn dancing, Hakyeon was rarely given breaks for the whole day where he could just sit around and do nothing.

Hongbin shrugged. "I don't know, I overheard Taekwoon-hyung talking to Manager Mickey about giving you a break, and then taking you to the doctor's or something," The visual casually replied.

"Sending me to the doctor?" Hakyeon asked incredulously. "Why?"

Again, Hongbin answered with a shrug of his shoulders. "Molla, I was about to ask if you were ohkay."

Hakyeon's eyes widened in epiphany - Taekwoon was the one who brought him back to the dorms! "Where's Taekwoon?" The leader demanded, looking around in search of the chic main vocalist.

"He's in his usual practice room," Jaehwan replied. "Speaking of which, why are you here today?  Aren't you on a break?"

Ignoring Jaehwan's questions, Hakyeon hurried to the practice room Taekwoon frequented.


"Yah! Jung Taekwoon!" Hakyeon called as he threw the door open.

Hearing his name, Taekwoon immediately stopped singing as his head snapped towards the door. I'm pretty sure I told them to leave me alone. Realizing that it was Hakyeon, he plugged out his earphones and walked over, his brown eyes scanning the leader up and down.

"Why am I on a break?" Hakyeon demanded, paying no attention to Taekwoon's gaze.

"Is your back ohkay?" Taekwoon replied with another question, in his usual soft voice.

"How do you know about my back?" Hakyeon whispered harshly, pushing Taekwoon back into the room and closing the lime green door.

Yet again ignoring that question - the usual, Taekwoon reached out behind Hakyeon and laid his hand on the shorter's lower back, pressing gently. Hakyeon flinched, swatting Taekwoon's hand away.

The latter nodded solemnly. "You should go to the doctor," he commented quietly.

"Eh? Why would I need to see a doctor?" Hakyeon asked, his right hand reaching behind him just in case Taekwoon decided on another surprise 'attack'.

"Because your back is injured," Taekwoon stated, looking directly in Hakyeon's eyes.

"A-ani, my back is fine!" Hakyeon insisted.

"It's not Hakyeon," Leo sighed exasperatedly.

"Is so!"

"Prove it," Knowing Hakyeon, he would try his best to show that nothing's wrong. But it'll be easy to read him and tell that he's definitely not fine.

"Fine, I will," Hakyeon replied, glaring at Taekwoon. "But I'd like to request that you sing the chorus of hyde," After receiving a nod of approval from Taekwoon, the former took a deep breath as he steadied himself, standing in position for the dance.

Taekwoon too took a deep breath before starting to sing the familiar lines, eyeing the leader. He watched as Hakyeon clenched his teeth together, and whenever he could, his hands would be balled up into tight fists so hard that his knuckled started to turn white. Every few seconds, his eyes would screw shut for a millisecond before he forced himself to open them again. His movements were not as precise as before, obviously hindered by his injury. Finally, Taekwoon couldn't bear to watch any longer. He stopped singing, and pushed Hakyeon down on a chair.

"You're injured, Hakyeon. Go to the doctor's," he repeated once again.

"I'm not!" Hakyeon was still adamant about the fact that he was perfectly fine. But as Taekwoon reached out towards him, the elder cowered back to the corner of the room in fear. Knowing Taekwoon, he could do anything when he's fed up.

"Come here," Taekwoon requested, albeit not very gently, nor was it in a soothing voice. Like a little child, Hakyeon shook his head stubbornly, refusing to leave the comfort he got by staying at the corner of the room.

"I said come here!" Taekwoon repeated, louder this time. Hakyeon continued sitting rooted to his spot, dead set about not going anywhere near the taller. Frustrated, Taekwoon combed through his hair and he swiftly grabbed Hakyeon's wrist and pulled the older towards him, the latter letting out a surprised squeak. Hands slowly found their way to Hakyeon's lower back as they experimentally pressed gently, with Hakyeon flinching every now and then from the pain.

"Yes Hakyeon, I believe you. You're fine," Taekwoon said sarcastically, his breath sending shivers down Hakyeon's spine. "Tell me where it hurts the most," Taekwoon continued voice much gentler than before.

When his hand reached somewhere a few centimeters left of Hakyeon's spine, he felt the elder’s grip on him tighten.

"Here?" Taekwoon inquired softly, his fingers pressing against the same spot. Hakyeon winced as he nodded into Taekwoon's shoulder. Without warning, Taekwoon pushed Hakyeon off him, and held on to the latter's wrist. At the same time ignoring yet another startled squeak and led him out of the room.

"Y... Yah Taekwoon-ah, what are you doing?" Hakyeon asked, awkwardly limping along behind his well-built band mate. "You're not telling the others, are you?" Hakyeon gasped. "Please don't tell them! They need to focus on their training! I don't want them distracted!" Hakyeon continued blabbering nonsense, truly worried about disturbing his dongsaengs.

Just as Taekwoon was about to open the door, he replied with a rather amused tone, "Relax Hakyeon, I'm only telling Manager-hyung so we can get you to a doctor."

"But I don't need a doctor!" Hakyeon protested, trying to break free of Taekwoon's iron grip. "I just need an ice pack!" His right hand still wriggling around, "Wow you're strong," He breathed. Taekwoon however, completely treated what Hakyeon has just told him as the wind beside his ear and he continued dragging the injured dancer to the manager sitting down on the black sofas of the main practice room.

"Manager Mickey?" Taekwoon tapped the manager's shoulder. "Can we bring Hakyeon to the doctor's now? The kids are practicing on their own now, and Hakyeon's insisting on not bothering them," Taekwoon explained, tugging Hakyeon's wrist when the elder’s name was mentioned.

Manager Mickey looked Hakyeon up and down, before sighing and pushing himself off the sofa. "Yup, let's go," He said, leading the way out of the company. Along the way, he announced, "Kids~ I'll be gone for about two hours, just continue with your practice, arasso?" He didn't bother waiting for and slid the bright orange door close.


"Yah, you're sure that the kids won't do anything dangerous, right?" It was possibly the fiftieth time Hakyeon has asked that question, with him receiving and exasperated nod from Taekwoon and Manager Mickey.

"Hakyeon, I know you're the leader and that it's your responsibility to take care of them, but can you relax? They're younger than you, but they can still take care of themselves!" Manager Mickey sighed. "Besides, Jaehwan's there," Before Hakyeon could protest, Manager Mickey put his hand up to signal the former not to interject. "I know he's childish.... And playful.... And mischievous... But I'm sure he's responsible and nothing will go wrong."

"But are you sure? I mean I know Jaehwan can be responsible when the situation calls for it, but what if something bad happens t-" Hakyeon was cut off by a hand over his mouth - Taekwoon's hand, to be exact.

"Will you just shut up?" Taekwoon groaned. "People are already staring at why two men are wearing sunglasses indoors. We don't need them to stare even more by your constant rambling!" Hakyeon shoved Taekwoon's hand away, pouting.

"Fine..." He mumbled. He then reached for Taekwoon's hand, and absentmindedly played with his fingers, pulling Taekwoon's hand back every time the younger would try to shake Hakyeon off.


"Cha Hakyeon," the nurse announced. The said male snapped his head over to the front counter. "The doctor's ready to see you now."

Following the standard procedure of knocking twice before entering, Hakyeon twisted the door knob to the right and walked in with Taekwoon and Manager Mickey trailing behind.

"Annyeonghasaeyo," The three greeted, giving a slight bow. The doctor returned the gesture with a brief nod of her head as she flipped through the papers on her desk.

"Cha Hakyeon-sshi," She read, looking up when Hakyeon let out a soft "Neh," Looking him up and down, she let out a nod.

"So it says here that you've injured your back?" She continued, looking up at Hakyeon when he nodded. "Please share with me the details," she requested gently.

Hakyeon said nothing, but looked up at Taekwoon who was sitting to his right.

Sighing, Taekwoon took a deep breath. "He injured himself while we were dancing," he began quietly. And you claim you're the mother. He thought with the roll of his eyes. Peeking through his bangs, he could see the doctor looking at him expectantly. He drew yet another breath as he continued, not making eye contact with the doctor. "There's this part at the beginning of the dance, where he's required to fall to the ground. He fell at the wrong angle and ended up injuring his back. After that, he slipped and fell on his back again. And then he out."

Satisfied with the answer, the doctor gave a slight nod. She then politely requested Hakyeon to come closer as she began the basic checkups.

"He's healthy, no illnesses," The doctor announced after a short awkward silence. "But let's check his back. Please stand up, Hakyeon-sshi."

Obediently standing up, he turned around so the doctor could examine his back. Her hands travelled to somewhere near his lower back, and she gently pressed various spots somewhere near his spine. At times, Hakyeon would show no reaction. But at others, he'd flinch and the hands that were gripping on to the hem of his shirt would tighten.

"Hm, from what I see, it's not something serious. More like a muscle strain. It hurts more than one because Hakyeon-sshi probably fell really hard on the floor, and that caused some bruising," the doctor explained.

"See? I told you!" Hakyeon hissed to Taekwoon, who hit his arm as a signal for him to shut up.

"I recommend that he takes a few weeks break from his trainings. But if it can't be helped, I've prescribed some painkillers. I also recommend for someone to constantly help him switch between placing an ice pack and a hot water bottle for his back," She continued, Taekwoon subconsciously nodding at everything she said.

"Thank you doctor," Manager Mickey said, helping Hakyeon up as the trio bowed before leaving the room.

Outside the room, Hakyeon couldn't stop nagging to Taekwoon about how he was ohkay.

"I told you I was fine!" Hakyeon whined. Taekwoon sighed, knowing the older was going to go on and on about how he was fine, how he didn't need to see the doctor, how he was right about only needing to ice his back, the list could go on. And frankly, Taekwoon didn't want to give any Hakyeon any new ideas to nag to him about.

"I told you that I just needed to ice it!"

"Correction. You have to ice and heat it. Didn't you hear the doctor?"

"Well, I was partially correct!"

"Surprise, surprise. The perfectionist is fine with being partially correct."

"I'm not a perfectionist!"

Just as Taekwoon was about to reply, the nurse called out Hakyeon's name to hand him his medicine.

"Kamsahamnida~" Hakyeon chimed as he left the clinic, with Taekwoon and Manager Mickey walking quietly behind him.


"Hakyeon-hyung! What happened? Are you ohkay?" The maknae came bounding over to the said male the moment he made his way through the door.

"I'm fine Hyukkie," Hakyeon reassured, gently patting the maknae's head.

"So what actually happened, Hyung?" Jaehwan asked casually, taking a sip from his water bottle.

From the corner of his eye, Hakyeon noticed Taekwoon about to open his mouth to reply. Desperately making eye contact with him, the older subtly shook his head, sending the signal not to worry his dongsaengs. No one noticed the exchange except for Hongbin, who had innocently walked in between the two oldest members.

"Am I interrupting something?" The visual asked curiously, noting how Hakyeon was slightly bending to his right to look beyond his taller band mate.

Hakyeon immediately straightened up, letting out a quiet groan and shut his eyes, a hand reaching behind him.

"Hyung, are you ohkay?" Hongbin inquired confusion clear in his big brown eyes.

"I'm fine! I'm fine!" Hakyeon replied, walking over to his fellow 90-liner.

"Tell them nothing," Hakyeon hissed, his hot breath tickling the taller's left ear as he walked towards the black sofa and planted his on it.

"So... What's wrong?" Hongbin repeated, eyeing Hakyeon on the sofa.

"Nothing," The leader replied nonchalantly. "We should get back to practice," he announced, awkwardly pushing himself off the sofa, only to be pushed back down again by the second oldest in VIXX.

"Yes, we get back to practice, but not you," Taekwoon replied, ignoring the icy glare Hakyeon sent him. If looks could kill, Taekwoon would have died countless times by now.

"Why?" Sanghyuk asked, only to shrink away in fear after noticing the anger and frustration in Hakyeon's eyes.

"He's kidding Sanghyuk, I'm getting back to practice," Hakyeon assured the maknae, yet again pushing himself off the sofa.

"No, I said you're not!" Taekwoon argued, pushing Hakyeon back down again.

"Jung Taekwoon," Hakyeon hissed through gritted teeth. "Do you not want to live?"

"Of course I do," The said male replied casually. "But do you want to live? Huh? Cha Hakyeon? You still plan on dancing with an injured back? Even when the doctor told you not to?" Taekwoon continued rambling, his left hand gripping onto both the leader's wrists, preventing the latter from interrupting him.

"Hyung, you're injured?" The four younger members chorused.

"N-" Taekwoon clapped his free hand over Hakyeon's mouth.

"Yes, he is," Taekwoon replied instead. "He injured himself during practice yesterday."

"When he fell?" Wonshik asked, receiving a small nod from Leo. "Why didn't you tell us?" Wonshik directed his question to the leader, confused as to why the bubbly, cheerful and talkative leader did not speak up about it.

Hakyeon tried to reply, but Taekwoon's hand was still over mouth so his reasoning came out muffled. Realizing that Hakyeon was trying to explain himself, Taekwoon took his hand off the leader's mouth. The latter wiped his lips with a scowl and spoke up, "Because I didn't want to worry you!" He protested. "I'm the leader! I shouldn't be the one worrying my band mates!"

"But you being the leader doesn't mean you have to take on all the responsibilities!" Taekwoon retorted quietly.

"Yeah Hyung, being the oldest doesn't mean you'll bear all the responsibilities!" Jaehwan echoed.

"Yes it does!" Hakyeon cried.

"No, it doesn't!" All the other members exclaimed unanimously, even the soft-spoken Taekwoon.

"Look Hyung, I get that you're the leader and you're responsible for what goes on in VIXX, but that doesn't mean you can share some of your burdens with us," Wonshik calmly explained.

"But I don't want to worry you," Hakyeon replied quietly.

Taekwoon sighed exasperatedly. "How many times have I told you that it's ohkay to let others know your troubles?" He reprimanded, thin fingers combing through his black hair.

Before Hakyeon could reply, Manager Mickey had walked back into the room.

"What's happening?" He asked, puzzled as to why the members hadn't started practice yet.

"Nothing, Hyung," Hakyeon answered.

"Then why haven't you started practice?"

"Joesonghamnida. We will start right away Hyung."

"Hyung, Hakyeon doesn't have to do practice, does he? Because of his back?" Taekwoon asked, ignoring Hakyeon's scowl.

"Not exactly," Manager Mickey began, shushing Hakyeon who had let out a loud 'I told you so!' "You won't have dance practice. But you can still have vocal practice," the manager finished. Sighing in defeat, Hakyeon nodded, making his way into one of the smaller practice rooms.

"Practice hard while I'm gone, neh?" Hakyeon instructed.

"Hyung, you sound like you're leaving us or something," Wonshik joked, trying to lift up the leader's spirits, only to get a chop to his neck from Taekwoon.

"Pabo, don't curse him," Taekwoon muttered under his breath.


After all the tension from today, the members just wanted to curl up underneath their blankets and fall asleep, ignoring the fact that they would have to wake up early again tomorrow for practice as usual, and that there might be a certain stubborn leader that would try to convince them that he was healthy enough for dance practice.

"Thanks for helping me today, Taekwoon," Hakyeon said, snuggling deeper into his blanket. The only people in the shared bedroom were the two oldest. Jaehwan was taking a shower, as well as Hongbin. Wonshik fell asleep before he even reached home, and had required Hakyeon to slap him awake so he could go into his room to sleep. As for Sanghyuk, he was too busy rushing through his homework and studying for an upcoming test.

Hakyeon heard muffled sounds, and also felt the person next to him shift on his mattress.

"It's no problem Hakyeon, we're friends, right?" came a muffled reply. Even though it was soft, the leader could hear the smile In Taekwoon's voice.

Yeah, friends. Hakyeon thought sadly.


Hi! It's not really long, even though it looked really long on my phone. And I hope you enjoyed it! ^~^ I hope no one's OCC and I've read through it a few times and I hope there aren't any mistakes! (: Do tell me your thoughts! (: And I know there're alot of page breaks... hahhaa