Chapter 1

The Only Thing Greater

     He could never comprehend how the biggest, most elusive mystery in the world that would never be solved could be contained to one word, four letters, and one measly syllable.

    Then again he mused, maybe because it was so big and omnipotent it could get away with such confounding spoken confinement and simplicity.

    Love.

    One small word, four simple letters, one syllable, yet the most astonishing thing on this earth.

    But perhaps there was one thing more astonishing and miraculous than the emotion which could lead to the creation of life, or the ending that is death; that one thing was Kai.

    Kyungsoo's heart clenched almost painfully, but it wasn't truly pain just a feeling that was beyond the words he knew, as he observed how Kai smirked with amusement at some joke another had said.

    Seated high up in a blooming plum tree Kyungsoo leaned against it's trunk for support. His face was flushed as distant eyes took in the way the boy he'd come to love moved, talked, and simply existed.

    Love may be grand, and beyond full human comprehension but it wasn't as brilliant as Kai. Love was just the word to explain his feelings for the effervescent human being before him. But Kai was the one who inspired those feelings and thus was greater than even the most powerful force within the world as Kyungsoo knew it.

    A soft smile flitted across his face as Kai suddenly realized he was being watched and grinned brightly up at him. He watched as the other boy excused himself from his friends and ran to join Kyunsoo up on his sturdy branch. As Kai nimbly climbed up the tree to his not so secret spot, stopping to brush his lips against his own softly with that wolfish grin that was reserved only for Kyungsoo. The elder boy flushed happy from the attention and interlaced his fingers with those of his love's.

    Yes, nothing in this world could ever compare to Kai, not even the feelings he inspired.