Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop

“The coffee shop that we used to go to

Our coffee shop

I’m blankly sitting here, where I can smell your scent

I still can’t forget you

Our memories still remain

So without knowing, like a habit

I came here.”

 

She walked aimlessly with her earphones in her ears, not paying attention to her surroundings. It was only when she took the time to look around her that she realized where she was. Memories flooded her mind as she realized that she was standing in front of the coffee shop that they would go to. Why had she come here? It’s not like she had been thinking about him recently. She pulled one of the earphones out and stepped aside from the entrance, allowing room for a couple to walk into the shop. She smiled as she thought of the many times they spent there. Any time they wanted to meet up somewhere, it would be this coffee shop. And when the shop was closed, the tables and chairs were always still out for anyone who would want to sit and enjoy the view of the area. They had spent countless evenings there, past closing time, where they would lose track of time and be immersed in their own world with each other. It was where they had met, where they found their love, and where it had ended.

She spent a few moments pondering whether to go inside and thought that it wouldn't hurt to walk in and sit down for a while. A few months had passed from the time that they were together. It was the first time she had been to the coffee shop since then. She walked inside and waved hello to the surprised barista. It was nice to see a familiar face in a familiar setting even if things were different now. The memories were coming back to her quickly. All the memories with him. She felt a twinge of pain as she looked at the menu, her eyes scanning over his favorite coffee. She began to doubt whether it was a good idea or not to be there now. Before she could even order, the barista had already quickly prepared what he knew she would get. She smiled and thanked him, pulling out the money to pay for her drink.

"He comes here every day, you know, the same time," she felt guilty hearing those words. She was the one who had broken up with him that day. It wasn't that she didn't love him anymore, she did. She still loved him dearly; and to hear that months later he was still coming to this coffee shop every day at the time they would normally meet pained her. She gave the barista a halfhearted smile as she handed him the money for the coffee and thoughtlessly walked to sit at the table they would always sit. Taking a sip, she remembered all the times they had together; the laughter they would always share. And as in every relationship, she remembered the times where they had argued and been mad at each other. But they had always worked it out. They always had until she realized that them meeting in the coffee shop were the only memories of them that she had. He was always busy, running from one place to another. He was trying to fulfill his dream. Music had always been a big part of him. She didn't leave him because he didn’t have time for her; no, she would never do something like that. She left so that he could have more time for his dream. More time for him to do what he truly wanted to do. She would rather he chase after what he wanted ever since he was a child. She wanted him to succeed.

It was then that she had told him to forget her, to focus on his dreams. If fate wanted them together, they would meet again. But if they met again, they would have to start over as if meeting for the first time. Their relationship had been perfect before, but she knew that if they were to meet again, they wouldn't be able to pick up where they left off. They would both be different people.

She had hoped for fate to be on their side but after months of not seeing him, she had concluded that it was really over. They weren't meant to be together. She would only listen to his voice through her mp3 player and would only see his face on TV. And she was okay with that because it meant that what she did was the right thing. He would forget about her and he would continue on to live his dream as a singer and melt the hearts of everyone around him.

She took out her phone from her pocket and turned off the music that was playing, letting out a sigh. It was time to go back home and stop thinking about what the two of them had been. She had stayed at the coffee shop long enough.

"Is this seat taken?"

Her heart jumped. She would know that voice anywhere. She shook her head, not looking at his face. She was too afraid to do so. She hadn't seen him since the breakup and had no idea what she would feel if she saw him. He pulled out the chair across from her and took a seat. It was then that she slowly looked at him. He hadn't changed a bit. His eyes were still as tired as ever and his lips still in the form of a smile. He was always smiling.

"I'm Daehyun," he extended his hand. She hesitated before placing her hand into his. He seemed relieved and lightly squeezed her hand, waiting for her to respond.

"Hyemi…” she couldn’t do anything but stare at his face. Was this really happening? Were they really going to start over? She saw his smile widen. He knew what she was thinking. He always did somehow.

“Nice to meet you, Hyemi. I would love to get to know you better,” he kept her hand in his and gently rested it on the table.

“I…um, it’s nice to meet you too…” she stammered. Maybe she would wake up in a few minutes and find out that this was a dream. She wanted this moment to last forever.

“Stop hesitating. Here,” he pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and laid it on the table in front of her, “read this. I hope to see you again soon,” he lifted her hand and lightly kissed it before letting go and walking out of the coffee shop.

She looked at the paper for a while before mustering the courage to finally open and read it.

 

          Hyemi…

               I still can’t forget you. Our memories are always with me.

               Meet me again here tomorrow at noon.

               I’ll be waiting.

 

Hyemi smiled. Fate was on her side. They would be together again. Always.