It Gets Worse

Come What May

Luhan was waiting outside of the classroom by the time she had gotten all of her things and managed to calm down a little. She tried not to let Yi Fan get under her skin. It was a rather formidable feat.

“I got paired up with Kim Minseok,” Luhan beamed. Minseok was the shy boy near the back who played the flute and brought steamed dumplings for his birthday. He was a very good flute player, although he often times played too softly.

“Did you see who I got?” Lily asked, excitedly. Luhan looked bashful, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

“No, sorry. I forgot to look. Probably someone good, though.”

Lily hopped over to the door, scanning the list of names quickly. She searched for her own. Lee Jinki and Oh Saejin, Huang Sally and Min Seojoo, Xiong Lily and…There it was.

Her heart sank. Right there in black and white. It was like horror etched on paper.

Xiong Lily and Wu Yi Fan.

Luhan came bounding over to her side.

“Who’d you get?”

“This must be a mistake.”

“That bad? Lee Jinki?”

“No, much worse.” Luhan looked shocked.

“I didn’t think there was anything worse than Jinki.”

“I got Yi Fan.”

There was silence.

“Oh. Oh.

Lily groaned. This was beyond terrible news. Possibly the worst moment in history. Worse than when she got her hair caught in the spokes of her bike. It was worse than the time Luhan dared her to drink 4 peppermint bubbleteas and she threw up on the Santa at the mall. Horrible didn’t even begin to describe it. Today could not possibly get any worse.

---

Okay, she lied. Today could definitely get worse.

When her mother picked her and Luhan up from academy, she climbed into the front seat sulking.

“Ah, is something the matter Li Lian?” Mrs. Xiong asked, using her birth name. She frowned, as she regarded her daughter carefully.

“No, Mama.  I’m fine.”

“She’s just upset because she got Wu Yi Fan as her recital partner,” Luhan blurted out.

“Luhan,” Lily hissed, glaring at her friend from the rearview mirror. He mouthed the word ‘sorry’ to her and busied himself looking out the window as thepulled out of the parking lot.

Mrs. Xiong’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. Lily groaned inwardly. Her mother and Mrs. Wu, Yi Fan’s mother, were good friends. Another unfortunate circumstance of her life. She knew what was going to happen and she was hoping to avoid it at all costs.

“That’s great! Why would you be upset about that?”

“Yi Fan is a big fat meanie.”

“Li Lian, you should not say things like that about people,” her mother chastised sternly. “I’m sure he is just teasing.”

“He’s not. He said a monkey could play the erhu better than me.”

Her mother gave her a knowing look.

“Boys at that age are a little difficult to understand. He does not mean it, I’m sure.”

Lily sighed, sinking back into her seat. It was always the same discussion every time she brought up Yi Fan. Her mother always took his side. It really wasn’t fair.

“I’ll invite the Wu’s over for dinner tonight so we can celebrate.”

Lily turned to her mother, ready to protest but the sharp look in her eyes had her coming up short. She tossed her head back against the seat. Why couldn’t the ground just open and swallow her up?

The rest of the car ride continued in silence. The only time she spoke was when they dropped Luhan out at his home and she said goodbye before rolling the window back up.

Once they were in the driveway, she stormed into the house and up to her room.  She set down her erhu by the door and flopped heavily on her bed, clutching her Pororo plushie to her chest. She glanced at the Sanrio clock on her walk across from her bed. It was 6pm. She had a little more than an hour to prepare for dinner with the spawn of the devil.

Maybe if she pretended to be sick, her mom wouldn't make her go to dinner. 

"Mama," she cried weakly. When no one answered, she tried again a little louder. Still no response.

"Mama!" she shouted.

Her mother pushed open her door.

"What is it, Li Lian?" 

"I'm sick," she said. She added a small cough for conviction. "I don't think I can go to dinner tonight." She checked her mother's face. She definitely was not buying it.

"Mama," Lily started again but her mom raised her hand to silence her.

"I do not care what kind of excuse you wish to use tonight, you are going downstairs when they arrive and enjoying dinner with the Wu’s even if I have to tie you to the table and feed you myself. Do I make myself clear?”

“But, Mama—“

“Do I make myself clear?” Her mother repeated sharply and Lily knew that was the end of the conversation.

“Yes,  Mama.”

“Good, now go get ready.”  With that, her mother her bare feet and padded towards the stairs. 

"Ughhhhh," Lily groaned, flopping back on her bed.

Dinner with the devil, t-minus one hour.