two

Work Your Fingers to the Bone

            You stood in the makeshift shower outside of Halmeoni’s home trying to adjust the nozzle and pipes. Baekhyun stood behind you with arms crossed and a stained shirt. With a few more tweaks you decided that it was good to go, “I think it’s good now. It’s all yours.”

            When you met eyes with the man behind you, you thought it be better to keep the upbeat tone down a bit and stepped out of his way. He eyed you a bit when you raised a finger and pointed at his shirt, “If you’d like, I can take your shirt and wash it for you. I can get that stain out if you—“

            Your voice trailed off when he shot you a glare to go away, which you slowly did while bowing in apology. He didn’t say anything only watched at you left making sure the coast was clear for him to change. Steering clear of where he was all together you headed back to his grandfather to finish up the work you two had started. You rubbed your arms feeling a bit embarrassed, but for what you didn’t know. I ruined his shirt, shook hands with my gloves still on, and had to fix his shower…I made awkward conversation…

            “Yah!”

            Already knowing where that yell came from, you ran back to where Baekhyun was and braced yourself for what you were going to see. You covered your eyes but kept a small open space to see where you were going when your feet met wet dirt. Off to the side on the wall, you could see all of his clothes hanging and gulped.

            “Yah you call this fixed?” A high pitched voice came behind you when you turned around to see Baekhyun in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. You didn’t feel the need to blush having seen half men all the time, meaning Jong In, and you’d be lying to yourself if you said Baekhyun had a body to ogle over. He was light skinned, with a slight farmer’s tan. Nothing but skin and bones, a boy’s body… you thought, shivering to yourself at the thought of it border lining ography. Brushing that thought to the side you saw that water was spurting out of the pipes and nozzle. You rushed to stop it when you were hit with freezing cold water, “Ah!”

            You blinding reached for the switch to turn off the water and breathed a sigh of relief when it shut off. You were drenched from head to toe and glanced over at Baekhyun who only stared at you with a raised brow. Smiling sheepishly, you stepped out of the showering area and approached Baekhyun with a nervous laugh, “I’ll get the actual plumber in town to fix it. Um, if you’d like you can shower at my house—we have a working shower—warm water.”

            “Forget it, I’ve showered enough. Just go back to Halmeoni.” He brushed you as he grabbed his clothes from the hanging rack and headed back inside of the house. You pouted a bit but headed back to where halmeoni was. So cold… and you weren’t talking about the water.

            “Ah! What happened to you?” With agape she approached you with arms out and cupped your face, wiping the few remaining droplets. You laughed a bit while shrugging, “I guess I couldn’t fix it after all.”

           You were back at your house drying your damp hair when you heard heavy steps coming towards the house. Approaching the door, you found a sweaty Jong In who was holding a barrel of hay over one shoulder, “Can you help me get some of these to Halmeoni’s? I can’t carry them all myself.”

            “Sure, just let me finish drying my hair.”

            After putting your hair up in a ponytail you headed outside where Jong In was waiting in his small truck with stacks of hay in its bed. Driving off you chuckled a bit before punching the boy’s shoulder, “I found out what you meant about Halmeoni’s grandkid. He was certainly something.”

            Jong In grinned, “You met him? I told you he was hilarious.”

            “Definitely a city boy.” You had your elbow propped up on the open part of the car door looking out when you remembered Baekhyun’s scream. He sounded so afraid and it was just some cold water. Shaking your head, you pulled into Halmeoni’s front yard when her husband met you guys, “Just put a couple of them out back okay, I’ll get Baekhyun to help too.”

            The older man went back into the house yelling out his grandson’s name when Jong In scoffed, “I’d like to see him lug this out of the truck.”

            You shook your head while putting your finger to your lips. He’d probably hear and get offended. The two of you started pulling out some hay when you could hear feet scratching the dirt to the left of the truck. Baekhyun appeared, wearing a loose black tank top and bright red shorts when Jong In told him what he needed to do. You already had a barrel in hand and were walking behind Jong In to the back when you watched as the other boy jumped up onto the truck and started to pull down his own. By the strain on his face, you could tell he was struggling. As much as you wanted to help, you had to carry your own so you continued forward. Once you placed yours down with Jong In’s he pulled you to his side and told you to keep quiet, “I wanna see him carry it.”

            The two of you hid behind the house watching as Baekhyun more or less dragged the hay, leaving a trail of it from the truck. He was wasting it. You tugged yourself free from his hands and ran up to Baekhyun, “Hey! You’re breaking it!”

            He jumped at your voice when you quickly picked up the now lightweight hay and told him to get another one. His face red, whether from exhaustion, embarrassment, or anger you didn’t know but you also didn’t care.

            “Aw, I think you just hurt his pride.” Jong In cooed as he watched the whole thing from the side of the house with an amused grin. You ed the barrel into his arms causing him to let out a huff, “Oh shut up!”

            Jong In went away to put the hay where it was supposed to go as you watched Baekhyun once more attempt to get another one. Like the first time, he wasn’t successful.