A Day

Abstruse

The flashing light shone in front of Sehun’s face, waking him from his slumber.  He used one hand to cover the light while squinting, looking around for his clock. 6:30 it read. Damn it. He was late. He quickly got up, not even bothering to make his bed and went to the bathroom. Quickly he washes his face, brush his teeth, change his clothes, grab his backpack and leave.  He ran as fast as he could to catch the bus in time. Just when he had the view of the bus he saw the last student going in. So close. He ran fast as his feet could carry him and when the handle to the bus was available enough to reach, he grabbed it and went in. Attention was what he got when he got in. All eyes were on him, not specifically judging but not fully caring either. It was just…..stares. Normal stares. He didn’t care. Sehun looked around for a seat when he felt a tug on his shirt. He looked down to the owner of the action and found Chanyeol.

“Sup dude.” Chanyeol said scooting closer to the window making space for Sehun to sit. Sehun gladly took in the space and put his backpack on the floor near his legs.

“Why are you always so late? One day you’ll miss the bus and end up not going to school man.” Chanyeol said. Sehun rolled his eyes.

“Reasons dude. And if I miss the bus then I’ll just ask Dani noona to drop me off.” Sehun said shrugging. Chanyeol chuckled and looked at him.

“Dude, you have to stop taking advantage of your sister. She has a life too you know.” Sehun shrugged and turned to his side, looking through his backpack until he found his Ipod. He put the ear plugs in his ear and hit shuffle. Chanyeol rolled his eyes and went back to looking out the window. The ride to school was always like this; Having small conversations then Sehun in the end listening to music and Chanyeol looking out the window.

Sehun thought about what had been happening recently in his life. Nothing seemed to come in mind until he remembered the conversation he had with Kai when he came over last time.

“You know what we should do?” Kai was sitting on Sehun’s bed with his legs crossed.

“What.” Sehun answered still closing his eyes. He was lying on the bed with one arm placed over his forehead.

“We should go to the beach! It’s almost summer anyway. It’ll be great! What do you think Sehun?”  Kai asked now turning to Sehun who slowly opened his eyes.

“I don’t know. I have to ask my parents.”

“Okay. Oh! We should invite Luhan too! We haven’t had a vacation with just the three of us in so long!”

“Yeah sure.”

Sehun nostalgically remembers the last time the three of them went to the beach. He was around six at that time.

“Sehun! Let’s build a sandcastle! I can be the king and you can be my trusty bodyguard!” Six year old Kai yelled.

“I don’t want to make a sandcastle. I want to play in the water with Luhan Hyung!” Little sehun yelled back. Little Kai smiled and drop his tiny shovel and bucket.

“Okay! I wanna come too!”

Time flew by too fast for Sehun. He didn’t like that.  His days of being a six year old passed by a long long  time ago. Now he’s sixteen.

“SEHUN!” Chanyeol yelled, making Sehun jump out of his thoughts. Chanyeol had already stood up and was now in the isle with other students trying to get off the bus.

“Dude, we’re here. Come on!” Sehun got his things and squished in the line of students. When he got off the bus he saw Chanyeol waiting for him. As Sehun got close enough for Chanyeol’s reach, Chanyeol swung an arm around him and started walking to class with him. Sehun looked at Chanyeol and raised an eyebrow.

“You didn’t do the English essay did you?” Sehun asked knowing well that Chanyeol wouldn’t just act this nice. Chanyeol sheepishly smiled.

“You know me too well.” He said smiling at Sehun. Sehun smiled back.

“You’re lucky we have different teachers or else you’d be screwed.”

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol said stopping his tracks to wait for Sehun to go through his backpack and get his essay.

“If we had the same teacher and I gave you my essay to copy, the teacher would be able to tell that one of us copied off of each other since the essay will say exactly the same thing. But since we have different teachers that problem won’t rise and you’ll be off the hook.” Sehun said and gave Chanyeol the essay.

“Also, since you have English earlier than me, I can easily give it to you. Be thankful I’m your friend.” Sehun said as Chanyeol slowly smiled and jumped on Sehun for a big hug.

“Oh! What would I do without you Sehun!” Chanyeol exclaimed teasingly, hugging Sehun in the process. Sehun rolled his eyes but embraced Chanyeol anyway, the edge of his mouth twitching slightly up.

“What would you do without me.”  Chanyeol  pulled out of the hug and looked at Sehun and smiled.

“I don’t know.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

The day went by faster than Sehun had imagined. He was already at lunch and eating with his friends.  Since their school allows open lunch, Sehun sees many people walking in and out of the building for food. He doesn’t feel like going to the nearby food stores so, he just settles with his cafeteria food. Today they had pizza stuffed with tatoe tots. Honestly, Sehun doesn’t think the food is that bad and wonders why everyone gets so worked up over how bad cafeteria food is. But then again, people have different perspectives so he leaves that thought to waste.

Sehun watches as his friends come one by one. He sees Chen talking intensely at Xiumin about something as they're walking and he puts his bitten pizza down.

‘What’s up with Chen?”

Xiumin rubs his temples and looks at Sehun.

“He kept on telling me that Danny Phantom shouldn’t have ended and that they should’ve had another season. And I got really annoyed so I told him that I don’t give a crap about the show and now he’s ranting on how can someone not care about the greatest animated show that has ever been made.”

Sehun chuckled at how childish Chen could seem sometimes.It's surprising how he could be so immature but yet older than Sehun. Actually, all of his friends are childish; Chanyeol, Chen, Tao, Kai, Xiu-well he guess Xiumin is an exception. He is the oldest of them all anyway. 

Sehun looks down at his pizza and picks it up. The greased dripped one by one. Disgusting....but it's still food. So he goes in for another bite and thinks he can finally understand why students would not like the cafeteria food. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Sehun came home from school with a loud sigh. He was finally at home and could finally get some rest but just as he stepped into the house he was met with a loud chirpy voice.

 

"SEHUN! I have so much to tell you!" 

 

Kai threw his arms around Sehun, squeezing him into a big hug. Hugs were not Sehun's thing. He never liked hugs. They made him feel awkward and Sehun hated feeling awkward. Sure, he holds onto Chanyeol's backpack or sleeve when they walk sometimes, but that's the furthest he goes. But it's Kai. And knowing how affectionate Kai is, Sehun forces himself to hug back, awkwardly lifting his arms up and resting them on Kai's back, moving it up and down-hugging Kai.

 

 

When Sehun had to move at the age of three, Kai was really sad. He didnt want Sehun to leave. Sehun remembered that day when he tried to go in his parent's car but Kai wouldn't let him, pulling on his arm begging him not to move.

"Don't go Sehun! You can live with me! I'll ask my parents and we can live together! We'll be like brothers! Please don't go Sehun!"

Everytime Sehun thinks back to that time, he feels so bad. Kai, at a young age since three, was always left home alone. Sehun found that out the day he first slept over at Kai's house. Although Kai was an only child and got everything he wanted, Kai was very lonely. He never really had an actual friend to play with. Ever since he was young, all he had was his toys. So when Sehun moved into town, Kai was ecstatic. He finally had someone to play with, someone to call "friend". But eventually, Sehun left and so Kai was left alone again. But Sehun always kept in contact with Kai. Why? Because Sehun was like Kai. He, as a child, was also left home alone. the only difference was, he wasn't an only child like Kai. Sometimes Sehun pities Kai for what he's been through but Kai would just say "I'm use to it. No big deal." And that would be the end of the conversation because Sehun and Kai know that there's really nothing they could do about it except learn to accept it. 

 

Today, Kai and Sehun were at the park near Sehun's house. Sehun guessed Kai wanted to go on the swings, and he was correct. Kai did want to go on the swings. 

 

"Sehun! Come push me!" Kai yelled. He was positioning himself on the seat of the swing. Although Kai was older, It was clear who had the more childish personality. Sure, Sehun was childish too; he's the youngest in his family obviously. But compared to Kai, he just was a little bit more mature. Sehun doesn't want to offend anyone but that was the truth and Kai knows it too. But there would be times when Kai would playfully scold Sehun about it.

 

"I'm not childish! You just happen to mature faster!" He would say. And Sehun would glare at the latter but not say anything because as stupid the statement sounds, it was true.

 

"Come on Sehun!" Don't just stand there, come push me!" Kai started to move his lower lip up forming a pout. Sehun just rolled his eyes at that gesture but went over to push Kai anyway. As Sehun pushed Kai, Kai smiled and let the wind kiss his face.

 

"Sehun....." Kai said, closing his eyes, letting his thoughts take over.

Sehun hummed in response.

"Do you know why I love playing on the swing so much?" Kai asked softly, almost like a whisper, but it was loud enough for Sehun to hear it clearly.

 

"Because you love torturing me."

 

Kai's mouth secretly curved upwards.

 

"Yes. I love that i get to punish you with my weight. But that's not really it.You can't see the wind Sehun. You can't taste it nor touch it either."

 

"I don't get-"

 

Kai stops swinging and twist his head to face Sehun who was behind him. There was a breif moment of silence. Nothing was spoken and all the ears could hear was the rustling of trees, their scrawny hands waving through the tranquil wind, followed by the squeaking noise of the swing rocking back and forth, Kai's feet being the cause of it. For a moment, Sehun wanted to say something. For a moemnt Sehun wanted to ask Kai what he meant. But Kai's spoken words, beat him to it. 

 

"I love swinging on the swing because I love the wind touching my face."

 

There was a feeling in the atmosphere Sehun couldn't quite get. A tension that was carrying the silence. It almost felt as if-

 

“Isn’t it amazing Sehun?" Kai asked as he starts getting off the swing. Sehun hadn't even realized he stopped pushing. 

 

"Uh yeah. Yeah it is." Kai sheepishly smiled.

 

"Hehehe. Well then come on. Let's go home! I'm hungry!" Kai yanked Sehun's hand and started to walk towards Sehun's house. Sehun follows behind,  throwing the statement that came across his mind, leaving it to be lost in the maze of his thoughts.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello. Lol this isn't a really good chapter is it? I hoenstly already ahve the plot planned out but i realized the process will take a long time.so imma make this probs a short story like 6-10 chaps? Idk. well i have my summer vac now so i guess i'll be updating more? i'll have to see. But i'm not leaving this story if you're wondering. yeah so this is the first chapter yayy!!! Sorry took so long to update but here it is now! Comment! I read them all! .