Final

The Ill-Fated Existence

"You should never let your guard down Kyung. You're so weak you think you could fight those three men all by yourself?" you mumbled as you cleaned his wounds with an alcohol- soaked cotton, pressing it onto his wound with much vexation.

"Ow, you're hurting me Min ! Do it carefully, argh."

You thumped the back of his head with irritation saying, "Just look at yourself Kyung. You're so wasted, why don't we just go to the hospital and let them do the job."

 

Mumbling as he stared down on his lap, he flinched in pain as he moved his fist a bit, "Well forgive me for causing you so much trouble. But it's your ex there we're talking about. He's such a stupid killer. And.. Are you leaving me over him now??"

 

You rested your hand down as you stared at Kyungsoo pitifully. Thinking about how much he wanted to still protect you even in that condition. It was very unfortunate, just like you.

 

"Hey, I'm sorry okay? It's not your fault. It's theirs. I'll file a complaint against them as soon as I get to school tomorrow. The principal will sure find out about this." you uttered, so as to reassure him that he did nothing wrong.

 

It was after the fight was over, that you decided to go home and help Kyungsoo fix his wounds and make him feel better. 3PM. It was one of your worst nightmares. It hurts to see your best friend get killed in front of your eyes by the person who had once told you that he loves you, Kai.

 

Cupping your cheek with his frail hand, he flashed you a weakly smile extending his arms to pull you closer for a hug.

 

"You haven't answered my question yet, but please know that I love you Min. That's why I'll never let anyone lay a finger on you ever again. I'll protect you, so please just let me do my job, let me take care of you." he uttered as if a whisper, caressing and feeling your warmth as you let him cage you in.

 

You weren't surprised at all, since you'd rather be with him than be with your miserable family. He had helped you a lot, he saved you from hell and you're thankful enough to entrust your whole life to him. It'll be nice to think that you would even get to marry someone as caring as him someday. You owe him your life now.

 

After a moment of silence, he spoke once more, "You don’t love me?" he asked.

 

Shaking your head as you blinked an eye, you uttered back. "No, I mean, of course I do love you but--"

"Well thank you. That's the only thing I wanted to hear."

 

It was the only thing you could tell him too. It counted less, but it meant just enough to make him feel loved.

As the moment grew longer, the rain began to fall again. "It has been raining a lot these days, I wonder why." he mumbled as he pulled back and broke away to pull the curtains down from the windows. You, on the other hand entered the kitchen to get something to eat. You weren't much experienced with cooking, but it could come out right it you did your best right?

 

"Leave my workplace lady. I can still cook." he murmured from behind you as he held onto your waist.

 

You turned to look at him with an annoyed look as you held onto a platter of vegetables in your hand, frantically raising a brow at him. "I can cook too. What do you think of yourself, high and mighty Kyungsoo."

"I'm fine. Just let me, please? This is my forte. I can do better and you know that."

"Pfft. Fine. But let me do the preparations okay?"

"Okay."

 

==================================================================================================

 

Two weeks had passed by in a blink of an eye and you were enjoying yourself living with Kyungsoo. It was all in all fun and full of smiles unlike with your family wherein the house would be full of sadness, tears, noise, and loud screaming.

Every single day was hell, back then.

But now, not a single day would even last without Kyungsoo cracking some serious joke that would always make you burst out laughing. The entire house was now filled with happiness and how you wished you had started to live that way a long time ago.

 

It was a Thursday afternoon and you were ready to walk to school with Kyungsoo.

 

"Kyung. We're going to be late. Make it fast you slowpoke." you mumbled as you stood by the doorstep while he was still fixing his lunchbox.

He glared at you as he cried out in complaint. "Yah, stop stressing me out. I'm almost done here."

"Yeah whatever."

 

In a short span of 10 minutes, Kyungsoo got into his uniform and he was all set. You walked with him under such a rainy sky. You had no idea, but the weather has been very abnormal lately. But you had your umbrella, and you had a jacket with you so there was no worry about getting drenched with rain water but it was definitely colder than the usual rainy afternoon.

 

"How about we go on a date later after school?" Kyungsoo smiled at you as he reached out for your hand sweetly.

You beamed back at him as you nodded without a thought. "Yeah, we should."

 

Letting out a sigh, he stared up at the clouds through his transparent umbrella, seeing the clouds turn from grey, to pitch black. "It feels so great being with you Min. Please never leave my side."

 

"I won't. I am alone now. I have no parents, and you don’t too. So it's no problem with me. I'll never leave you Kyungsoo. You're the only family I have left."

 

"Thank you. You have no idea how happy I am right now."

 

Leaving some of your books inside your locker, you waited for Kyungsoo in the hallways, leaned on the wall as you stared at the people walking in front of you. It was a bit confusing as to why some of your classmates would stare down at you like they disfavored you. Some would whisper to the other as soon as they see your face. You couldn’t hide the embarrassment. And for some reasons, you could feel yourself shrink down within your heart.

 

"Hey. Let's go?" Kyungsoo asked as soon as he was done fixing his things from his locker. You unsurely nodded at him as you two started walking towards your classroom.

 

Your hand gripped onto the ends of Kyungsoo's shirt tightly, your head hung low and your breathing got denser. He noticed the troubled look on your face and so he asked, "What's wrong Min? is something bothering you? Are you sick?"

You already had your tears on standby, waiting to fall down from your eyes as you looked up at him, scared and worried. "Kyung.. I think.. People are.. They're talking about me.."

 

"Huh?" Kyungsoo wondered as he stared at the people passing by. And you were right. Many were looking at you, and some were even speaking your name out loud as if to call your attention. "What's wrong with them." he mumbled angrily until you reached the classroom.

 

Slowly opening the doors so you could enter, Kai's face welcomed Kyungsoo with a hint of mockery in his voice. The aura felt so bad, so threatening. Something was just not right.

 

"Here they are ! The ultimate, married couple of the school." he shouted out before clapping his hands in awe while the rest of the class kept their mouths shut to watch the scene Kai was creating. "I can't believe this mister rich guy. I envy you that you're able to take home my girlfriend and you get to live with her. Pretty amazing for someone so weak like you. Say, is it because you have a lot of money that you're able to buy her?"

 

Tightening his grip on the sling of his backpack, he walked forward with such courage as he tried his best to hide you behind him. "So it’s you. The reason why everyone has been talking about Min negatively. And so what? We're a couple, of course isn’t that yet obvious? At least she chose me over some pathetic maniac like you. You pitiful killer."

 

"Ha. You're so brave you think you have the guts now? I can't believe this Min. I am better than this guy here. I can protect you from bad people rather than this Kyungsoo who only knows how to scream for help. And aren't you yet satisfied with what my brothers did to you? You still want some more?" said Kai as the tension grew more. The attention of all the students inside the class was on you, Kyungsoo, and on Kai. It felt more embarrassing to even discuss something about you, living with Kyungsoo, in front of so many witnesses . It's against the school rules and you're starting to fear the possibility that you would have to go back to your family soon.

 

A tear fell from your eyes as you pulled Kyungsoo back before anything awful would happen. "Kai.. Please, stop this already.. You don’t know what's happening.. So please, just stop."

 

Before Kai could even utter a word, the home room teacher arrived. And with a single clap, everyone got to their seats while Kai left the classroom feeling defeated.

 

"Okay class." she exhaled out loud as she removed the glasses from her eyes. "I need to speak to Seo Min and Do Kyungsoo. For the rest of you, please review your notes in psychology for a quiz later."

 

You took a glance at Kyungsoo as your worries started to fill your head like it was soon to explode. You couldn’t comprehend the reason as to how and why Kai had to find out about where you lived. You knew he did love you, but that was a long time ago and seeing him get so importunate about wanting to have you back was a bit odd to you. Why? Why was he doing it? Was he in love again? Or was he in need of someone to play with?

 

Kyungsoo held onto your hand tightly as you two walked towards the principal's office. You wanted to cry again, but Kyungsoo told you not to, and that everything would be just fine soon after the talk.

Seated across each other, you inhaled deeply as you stared down on your lap to build some concentration and courage. You had to speak what's right, and what’s supposed to be said.

 

"Let me get straight to the point. We received a rumor about you, living together inside a house. We still have to confirm this from you. I assume you must be familiar with the student code stating that students are not allowed to live together under the same roof unless they are married, or unless it is under your parents' consent and knowledge. Is this a rumor, or a fact?" the principal asked without caution with her hands clasped on top of her desk.

 

Heaving a sigh, Kyungsoo looked up at her saying, "It's true."

 

"Then, are you aware that you two could get expelled as a disciplinary action over the disobeyed rule?"

 

Again, Kyungsoo nodded with much confidence. "Yes Ma'am. I am fully aware of that, and we are prepared to leave. But before you expel us from this school, I hope you could hear us out.

 

We didn’t do it for a reason that we eloped and we wanted to be with each other and live like a married couple. Min's parents are not the normal ones. They hurt her, batter her to death, and her dad even attempted to her. It's such a shame that someone smart, talented, and hardworking would end up begging in the streets if I did not take her in. We are childhood friends who turned into a couple several weeks ago and I don’t mind living under the same roof with her since I am alone inside my place. And if people are thinking that we're being reckless and excited about getting married, then they're getting the wrong idea. We don’t do things we're not supposed to do. We're being careful about everything and I hope that people can hear about how much I respect Min. Now if you're going to take back the punishment by sending Min back to her parents, then I won't let you. We'd rather be expelled from this school than risk her life again in danger. Thank you ma'am, and if you may please excuse us."

 

Standing up from his seat, he grabbed you by the hand as you left the principal's office hearing nothing in the hallways but just the music of silence. Kyungsoo has been calmed and he looked as if he had just been freed from jail. He also wanted to avoid Kai and his friends because they had once threatened his life, and they might hurt you too so he chose to leave.

 

"Decided Min. We're leaving this school." he uttered as he walked straight into his locker to get everything inside, and to finally take the leave.

"Are you sure about this Kyung? I mean.."

Pinching your cheek as he flashed you a smile he said, "I get your point. But it's not safe in here. And in fact, they already gave us the punishment. There are a lot of schools out there Min. I'll take care of you so don’t worry."

"Really?"

"Mm. Let's just be happy about their decision, consider the punishment as a gift."

 

==================================================================================================

 

"I smell garbage Kyung. Did you take them out earlier?" you asked as you focused on your unfinished plate.

He shook his head as he drank a glass of water. "Uh, well I think I forgot to take that out. Can you do it for me please?"

"Yeah sure."

 

After emptying your platter, you got up and cleaned the dishes. It was 7 in the evening and you were to work on some assignments after the chores were done. Your new school was stressing you so much but it was so much better than your previous school. You had gained more friends and your relationship with Kyungsoo grew stronger. But again, he was still careful not to touch you in his own manly and romantic way because he knew you still possessed that trauma you had a year ago when your dad tried to do something horrifying you.

 

"I'm taking out the garbage. I'll take a bath after you." you muttered as you tied the garbage bag in a knot, ready to throw it out while Kyungsoo got inside the bathroom to get himself cleaned.

You stepped out of the house as you held the bags in your hands. It was definitely dark and cold outside.

 

You threw the garbage on that pile of trash in the corner of the street, stared at the light posts before you were about to make your way back into the house.

 

".. Hey lady !" a voice of a man called out.

 

You had a hint, and a clue as to whom that voice belonged to but you feared of knowing about it.

 

"Hey lady ! I need to have some good time tonight, are you available?"

 

Finally turning to look behind you, you saw a drunkard man, wearing a black trenchcoat with a bottle of liquor in his hand. He looked so wasted like he was on drugs that you were able to recognize him in a blink of an eye. The worst part was that, he was with two more drunk men and he was asking for your service like you're a , like he didn’t know you.

Your heart got heavier, your breathing got faster and your feet had seemed to be frozen on the cold ground that you couldn’t leave the place you were at. You wanted to run and ask for help, call on Kyungsoo or maybe hide under your bed but you couldn’t do it. Something was stopping you, maybe the blood relation running through your veins.

 

".. Dad.." you whispered as you stared at him, scared and shaking.

 

"Oh look man, she's calling you dad. Hahahaha !" the other guy bursted out laughing as he threw the empty bottle in his hand down on the cold ground until it shattered into tiny pieces.

 

Slowly taking steps backward, you turned around and started running back to Kyungsoo's house which was just around the corner of the street, two light posts away leaving three drunkard men as if they wanted to lash your flesh off by the way they looked at you.

 

Panting heavily, you closed the door behind you before crouching down on the floor as you began to weep silently. In five minutes, you could hear Kyungsoo calling out your name when it seemed like he was already done taking a quick shower. You wiped your tears away in haste as you stood up from the ground.

 

"Min, I thought you were still out." he uttered as he dried his hair with a towel.

 

Speaking softly, you turned to look away like you were off to the bathroom saying, "Throwing the garbage didn’t take  me that long Kyung. I'll go and take a bath now."

 

"Hey." he mumbled as he held onto your arm to make you face him.

 

Letting out a groan, you shook his hand off and asked. "What." you spoke monotonously.

 

"What.. Happened?" he asked as he examined the indifferent look on your face. It was obvious that something was bothering you and you couldn’t even give him a chance to hear what has just happened. "Come on, tell me about it. I won't just sit around and let you keep that to yourself forever. Tell me, did someone hurt you? You've been crying aren't you."

 

"Hm, no. I'm fine. Nothing happened. I just feel tired, thinking that I still have a lot of assignments to finish." you lied again. You had been doing it for ages now because you didn’t want Kyungsoo to worry so much about you.

 

"Are you sure?"

You nodded saying, "Mm."

"I'll kiss you if you lied."

"You wouldn’t want to do that."

"Oh I sure want to."

"Then go ahead."

 

Taking a step closer, he cooed in your ears saying, "Don’t make me wait. I'll be inside the room."

You chuckled softly as you started walking towards the bathroom. Your mind still pre- occupied about what you had just encountered outside the house.

 

==================================================================================================

 

There was once a time, when you had to go home alone from school because Kyungsoo had to run a few errands. He wanted to go home with you so bad, even begged you to wait for him because he wanted you to be safe but you refused. You insisted on going home before him so you could prepare something for dinner for the two of you. It was your only chance of managing his own kitchen workplace because he would always want to do the cooking everyday even if it meant getting himself busy with so much chores.

 

"Min, wait for me please? I'm just going to finish listing down these books and then we'll go home. I swear it won't take long." he mumbled as he stood by the doorstep to the student library where your homeroom teacher asked him to do him a favor-- be a librarian after class.

 

You let out a chuckle as you pinched his cheek lightly. "I'm going to get something from the grocery and then I'll go straight home. You'll be surprised about my cooking, I'm telling you."

 

Clasping his hands together, he pouted at you. "If it's about cooking, I'll let you cook for dinner and for breakfast tomorrow. But please wait for me, please, please?"

 

"Yeah right Kyung, as if you'd really let that happen. Now continue doing your work, I have to get going now. I'll wait for you at home okay?" you beamed him a smile as you started walking off as he screamed out your name, desperate of wanting to go home with you. He's obviously not used to going home alone, especially without you around. It has been his habit to be beside you everywhere you go, even if it meant being your personal body guard. He wanted to protect you so bad, because he never knew when but the time will sure come when you get to meet your miserable and filthy parents again. He was scared of losing you, scared to lose you now because you're the meaning in his life, his only purpose.

 

Hopping off the bus, you took a slow walk in the sidewalk as the winter wind started to enter your nostrils. It was getting colder and you were loving it. It meant more hugs of warmth from Kyungsoo.

Taking a step inside the grocery store, you pushed a cart as you started shopping for some groceries you would need for dinner. You were too excited to prepare something for Kyungsoo and it was going to be your first time doing it.

 

After half an hour, you were done shopping and you were off to go back home. Smiling at yourself as you visualized the smile on Kyungsoo's face, you took a glance at your watch. It was almost 7 in the evening. "Huh? Did it take me that long to shop in that grocery store?" you asked yourself. After taking a look at the time, you suddenly bumped onto someone which made him fall down. Your groceries even fell off from its bag.

 

Taking bows in front of you, you apologized. "Uh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry I wasn’t--"

 

".. What, are you doing here?!" a man grumbled almost loudly as he grabbed you on your chin. He was mad, he looked terribly awful, and monstrous. It was that face you wished you wouldn’t get to see ever again even if it meant blinding you from reality.

 

Moving his hand down on your neck, it was as if all your deplorable luck came back to life. It was him again, your father strangling you to death. "I've been looking for you young lady, you think you can escape from me now?! I'm going to sell your ing unlucky body with my men because they want you !"

 

What was wrong with him? You didn’t know either. Back then, he would just push himself over you and beat you when you refused. He would ask you to become like your mom and spend nights with different men, bring home some money and he'll consider you lucky. But now, he looked like he would do anything just to earn money from selling you by force.

 

Kicking your feet on his hapless body, he winced in pain when you hit his stomach hard with your shoe like it was made of steel. It hurts so much that his grip around your neck loosen up slowly, taking that chance to run for your life. He wanted you so bad for money, he was going to sell you, and if he did, you'll probably lose your happiness forever, you'll lose Kyungsoo, you'll lose your life.

 

You started running towards no direction. You only wanted to escape from reality, dream again and it'll all be over. He called out for you as you continued to move your feet like it was about to get loose from your body. There was your dad, catching his breath as he chased after you. What were you really? Food? A golden coin? A need? A sacrifice?

 

Kyungsoo was already on his way home, he kept on calling your phone but you never answered, much to his worry. He rode the bus agitatedly and scared about some negative thoughts. But he couldn’t help it, you won't even call him back. He sat on the front seat seeing only a few people inside the bus which made it even weirder. It would usually be so crowded during that time of the day but that night was different, as if many people went home earlier than their usual, or maybe they didn’t go to the office or to school at all. But nevertheless, he felt at ease because it was a bit peaceful inside the bus, but his heart was throbbing like damn.

 

Tapping his fingers on his lap, he stared by the window seeing nothing but trees, and some vehicles driving within the area. For a moment he would feel so troubled, but as he breathed out, he'd feel calm. It bothered him even more to realize that even his emotions were not functioning well.

 

He pulled his phone out from his pocket and browsed on some photos as he waited for the bus to come to a halt.

He stared at your pictures from his phone, smiled as he scrolled down and saw more of your captured photos taken while you were asleep, while you were doing the laundry, while you were watering the plants, your everyday activities were stalked. Your beauty made him want to worship you more than he was now.

 

"Look out !" a teenage boy seated beside him screamed out to the driver as he pointed at a person running, crossing the street and was unaware of the fact that a vehicle on its normal speed was about to come through. Kyungsoo was startled that his phone fell off from his hand.

 

He held onto the railings but the sudden impact made him hit his head to the seat resting in front of him. One thing he noticed was that, the last person he saw before the bus suddenly stopped looked very familiar to him. It made him want to cry if ever his thoughts were right.

 

He groaned in pain as he stood up feeling dizzy. He could feel his heart pound as he saw the blood- stained window of the bus. He was about to breakdown.

 

The few people inside the bus panicked. Some made their way out of the bus, the driver came out to check if the person his bus had hit was still alive and Kyungsoo was the last to make his way out of the vehicle after he had found his phone which fell onto the ground. Many gathered around the bleeding body covering their mouths and their noses to avoid the awful smell from entering their lungs out making them puke in disgust.

 

Kyungsoo pushed the people so he could come through. His heart was about to forever die in curiosity, was he right about what he saw?

 

As he reached the very front to where a body lied, his heart stopped beating.

 

.. There you were, laid down pitifully.

 

Your eyes were wide opened, there were tears in your eyes, but you had stopped breathing. It was the end of you, and it was the end of his life as well.

 

He ended up crying and weeping in front of you as he held onto your lifeless body for the last time. He knew he should've never let you go alone. He was blaming himself, he was screaming out saying that he didn’t know it would happen. Why was God being harsh to him? He has been alone all his life, not until you came and now you're gone again. Did it really have to happen? Did you really have to leave him?

 

Looking around the people, he screamed once again, "Call the ambulance ! Please.. Someone save her, someone please save her ! Wake up Min, come on ! Wake up ! Don’t leave me ! Please.. Don’t go.. Please don’t go.."

 

As he continued to cry, his eyes landed on a man standing in front just staring at your body deprived of life, drenched in your own blood. He was able to recognize his face though it has changed so much, it was none other than the person who tried to chase you out-- your dad. Clenching his fist as he glared at the silhouette that was slowly vanishing from the crowd, he cursed, ".. I swear to God,

 

.. He'll never make it alive tonight."

 

 

*** AAA THIS IS WHAT I HATE THE MOST ABOUT ONESHOT FICS. THERE'S ALWAYS THIS CLIFF-HANGING SITUATION. PFFT.

ANYWAYS, STILL WORKING ON SOME FULL-LENGTH FIC STARRING LUHAN, CHANYEOL AND THE OC. I REALLY NEED TO GET RID OF THIS FAVORITISM IN ANGSTY AND SUSPENSE STORIES. FORGIVE ME. XDD

PLEASE DO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE ! ***

//AND THANKS FOR READING. :)//