The Morning Of

Running Man: Gentleman High School Edition

There’s an incessant ringing sound somewhere in the background.

What is it?

This strange melody.

And that buzzing.

It sounds so close yet farther than he can reach.

Ah, maybe if I keep ignoring it, it will go away.

The noise stops after a minute and Woo-bin sinks back into the haze of sleep gratefully, pulling his dream closer around him as if it were a comforter, wrapping it firmly around himself.

The lull of conversation in the party washes over him again like the sound of waves, the beat of the music a comfortable and familiar thing that reverberates in his bones.

He turns and smiles at Jong-suk who chastises him for drifting off in the middle of their conversation. Woo-bin apologizes good-naturedly and even allows his friend to press a can of ice cold beer to the back of his neck as punishment.

“Ah,” he complains, flinching away, “Was that really necessary? I’m sorry, I was just daydreaming, can’t you just go easy on me?”

Jong-suk laughs again, throwing his head back and exposing his long, pale throat. Woo-bin’s eyes trace the graceful length that is bared to him, taking in the skin that glows under the flashing lights. He’s brought out of his daze when Jong-suk reaches over with his hand, warm fingers press teasingly against his nape to chase away the chill as their owner graces him with a lazy smile, “Alright, next time I’ll go easy on you.”

And then suddenly there’s that noise again, that buzzing that pulls at his consciousness. I’m here. Come find me. It seems to say. Don’t ignore me. Come, hurry.

“Do you hear that?” Woo-bin asks, frowning.

Jong-suk looks at him puzzled, “Hear what?”

“That buzzing sound,” he replied, glancing around, “it’s not the music. I keep hearing it. What is that?”

Jong-suk throws his head back and gives that laugh again, “it’s your phone, you idiot.”

“My phone?” Woo-bin asked, patting his pockets curiously, “It’s not my phone.”

When he looks up again, suddenly Jong-suk’s face is close, too close. He feels Jong-suk’s breath dancing across his lips, warm and sweet and heady. “Not that phone, silly,” he breathes, “Your real phone. Time to wake up.”

“Wake up?”

Woo-bin watches as Jong-suk seems to fade in front of him, cheeky grin stretched across his handsome face. He fights to reach out to him again but something is pulling him now, that noise and that buzzing. It rings and rings and rings. He’s dragged away from Jong-suk by some invisible force; the music fades out, the lights dim, the faces in the crowd blur until everyone is naught but specters, bleeding into shadows. He reaches out a hand blindly, groping towards the source of the noise, fingers connecting with a thin rectangular object that he sends crashing to the floor.

Woo-bin jolts awake at the loud noise with Jong-suk’s face still burned into the back of his eyelids.

“Aish,” he stares at the ringing phone on the floor before finally leaning over to fish it up, “who’s calling me at this hour? I can still sleep for two more hours!”

The name “Lee Jong Suk” flashed up at him from across the screen and he feels a slight burst of excitement despite still feeling tired. He fumbles to swipe his finger across the screen and press the phone against his ear, flopping back against his pillows.

“Hello?” he mumbles into the receiver.

“Woo-bin ah? Did I wake you up?” his friend’s bright voice washes over him.

“Yes you crazy bastard, I was still sleeping. What was so important that it couldn’t wait till the sun is up?” Woo-bin grumbled, ignoring the fact that he was happy to talk to Jong-suk at all hours of the night.

“Ah, sorry. But it’s almost six already! How are you still sleeping?”

Woo-bin to his side, settling in for a long chat, “I know that, but my schedule doesn’t start until 10 am this morning so I was going to sleep in. But you had to wake me up, didn’t you, you bastard.”

“Aiish, I said I’m sorry. You’re swearing a lot more now after you played Heung-soo. Did you merge with his character or something?" Jong-suk quipped, "And didn’t you have a photo shoot this morning?”

“The shoot drags out for too long and clashes with the rest of my schedule for today. And the other model can’t come any earlier because of their filming activities so they moved it to next week.”

“Ah. Okay.”

There was a heavy silence before Woo-bin spoke again, “So?”

“Huh? So what?” Jong-suk asked, puzzled.

“Why did you call me? Didn’t you have something important to say?”

“Oh yeah, that! Woo-bin ah! Are you filming for 'Running Man' today? You’re a guest right?”

“Yeah, I am. What about it?”

“I am too! Ah, I was so excited when they said you’d be there too! It’s been too long since I’ve seen you!” was the chirpy reply with only a hint of a whine dragging out the last sentance.

Woo-bin smiled at his friend’s response; Jong-suk’s childish excitement at being able to film together warmed his heart, “Ya, you idiot, we just did the Cass CF together not even two weeks ago, don’t you remember?”

“But that’s not the same!” Woo-bin could hear Jong-suk’s pout just from his words, “The filming didn’t take that long and we didn’t have that much time to talk during it. I was just trying not to fall off the wall when we climbed it!”

He laughed lowly at his friend’s complaints. That part was true; Jong-suk’s exclamations had been steadily gaining in volume the entire way up the wall. The only reason they didn’t have to re-shoot that scene was because the camera only caught Jong-suk’s smiling face and not his terrified words, fervent prayers not to fall and ridiculous demands that Woo-bin had better catch him if he slipped despite the fact that Woo-bin was only barely swallowing down his own worries.

“Be careful. Maybe this time we’ll have to do something more ridiculous on the show. Maybe bungee jumping,” he teased.

“Ah! No! Don’t go jinxing it! I don’t want to do something like that! And I can’t even be scared on camera, I’ll have to act like I’m totally calm.”

“You can be scared on screen. Your fans will just gush over how ‘cute’ you are and send presents to console you,” Woo-bin laughed.

“Woo-bin ah~ Don’t say that! I don’t want that to be my image!”

Woo-bin snickered before answering in a low voice, “What if we jump together? I’ll hold you close the whole time.”

Jong-suk was silent for half a minute while Woo-bin waited patiently for his reply. Would it be the reply that he wanted to hear?

“Okay, fine,” Jong-suk agreed sullenly, “But only if you promise not to let go.”

“Promise,” he answered with a soft smile that his friend couldn’t see.

“And only if you watch that horror movie with me after,” Jong-suk added cheekily.

“Ah, no! What? I don’t like horror movies! You know that!” he complained, throwing a pillow at the wall.

“And I don’t like heights, so that’s fair. If we have to jump and we both survive, you have to watch the movie with me,” came the sing-song answer.

“No.”

“Come on~”

“I said no.”

“Why not, it’s only fair.” A pause and then Jong-suk turned his own words back at him teasingly, “I’ll hold you the whole time.”

“The whole time?” Woo-bin asked, grinning widely at nothing.

“The whole time,” Jong-suk agreed, “But you have to watch the whole thing.”

“Alright,” he sighed, covering his burning face with a large hand. Why was he blushing so hard?

“Okay. That’s a promise then. I have to go now, I’ll see you in a couple of hours, okay?”

“Alright, take care until then.”

“You too, bye!”

The tone signaling the end of the call rang in Woo-bin’s ear and he replaced the phone on his bedside table. Turning, he buried his face into the pillow.

Aish, Kim Woo Bin, what are you doing to yourself? How am I going to face this punk calmly in four hours when I can’t even stay calm during a phone call?


AN: And I thought this was going to be short ._. Also, I have no idea if Jung-suk oppa actually dislikes height and even less idea if Woo-bin oppa dislikes horror movies. But this is now truth in this story.