Chapter 2: Background

Meet Me After School

The rest of the day went by fast and uneventful. I went to class like I usually do, met up with Kai and told him everything about my new job and how thankful I was for his help.

I moved to Korea four months ago, Kai was the first person I met in college, he was in every single class I took that first trimester and we were paired up to work together for several projects. At first I didn’t like him; he was popular not just because of his looks, but also because he comes from a wealthy family. Girls swayed just by hearing his name, many wanted to date him and guys wanted to befriend him, but he didn’t really have any friends, he didn’t talk to anyone and was always by himself, it seemed rather odd to me, and being paired with him got me in a tough position, girls hated me and I would get cold glares from them, they envied me for something I didn’t want, I just wanted to fit in and make some friends, and this wasn’t helping me. Working with him was awkward at first, he didn’t talk much and when he did it was always about the project, he wasn’t friendly, not even a single smile. I really didn’t get why these girls were drooling over him, well I mean it’s obvious that he’s good-looking, but to me he lacked character and personality, he sat at the back of the classroom never paying attention, just drifting off, staring out the window. He seemed so bored most of the time, that’s until he saw her, the new transfer student from England, she sat next to me in biology, and he couldn’t help but ask me about her on one of our project meetings. I perked up from a book I was reading, surprised to hear him talk about something else rather than school, especially a girl, he was so shy about it and giggled like a little kid. I didn’t really know much about her just that her name was Soji, an only child, and she’s here because she wanted to spend some time with her grandmother, who’s Korean, and she’s planning on spending the rest of the year here. He seemed thrilled by this new information and asked me if I could introduce them, so I did. She wasn’t interested in him; apparently she had a boyfriend back home, she was nice though. But Kai was heartbroken and I helped him get through it. We became friends ever since and he told me that he didn’t have any friends because most people is only interested in his money and his best friend Kyungsoo is studying abroad, it must be hard not knowing if people talk to you because they want to know you or just want to get something from you. I got to know the real Kai, and he got to know the real me. Now we only have two classes together, but we hang out every now and then. I’m also helping him out with his new crush, Nahyun, she’s in our chemistry class and lab. She used to go to the same elementary school as he did and they had a crush on each other back then but the other one doesn’t know. It’s funny how I play cupid but don’t have a crush of my own, I guess love isn’t one of my top priorities right now.

Walking home from college I stopped by a school supplies store, I had forgotten about the promise I made Min, and seeing this store made me remember I didn’t have any crayons at home, so I stopped by and picked up a crayola box of 24 colors and other stuff that could come in handy in the kindergarten like some construction paper, clay, scissors, glue and glitter until I realized I didn’t have enough money to buy all this stuff so I put the clay, glitter and glue back. I would come back for more after my first payment, and after I pay my debts, since my priority was getting out of them.

I had some homework due on Friday, but I was too tired to work on it so I decided to postpone it, it was a thousand words essay on our favorite author. I figured I would find time during the week to do it; I still had 3 more days. You must be wondering what I’m majoring in, the truth is I haven’t decided, I’m an undetermined major, so I’m exploring all the fields, taking some biology, chemistry, literature, art and music courses. I’ve taken an interest in art and biology though; hope I can make up my mind soon. I want to show my parents I can be someone in life. I used to be very spoiled, but not anymore. I’ve changed a lot in the past 6 years, ever since my older brother passed away. We used to be very close, the four of us including our parents. We had a family night every Friday or Saturday and talked about the important events during our week. My parents were very proud of my brother, he was a medical student, and he was achieving more than they had ever dreamed of, he even had a scholarship. He was known for his kindness, everyone looked up at him, but his kindness was what took him away. One night he stayed out late in the college library, it was almost 11 PM when he noticed the time, so he decided to head home immediately. On his way home, he saw an old man getting mugged and he tried to help him, but instead he got himself shot. The thief got away. The old man took him to the nearest hospital, they immediately called us, but we were too late, he was gone. He had lost too much blood. There was nothing the doctors could do. He’d told one of the nurses to tell me he loved me and that he believed in me. I had two mental breakdowns during that year, went to the psychiatrist, I even used medications. I finally got through it all, my parents too. We moved on, but nothing will ever be the same. You could say my brother was who kept us together. My parents expect me to be half as good as him, but the truth is I’ll never be able to. They want me to graduate from college, and get a respectable job. I hope I’ll be able to live to their expectations. I decided to move to Korea to get a new perspective and become independent, they weren’t willing to let me go, but I promised them I would go to college, they helped me out at first but they’re having financial problems, now I’m really on my own. I can’t let the past define me. My brother was very important to me, I loved him a lot and it really hurts me not to have him by my side anymore, not having his support, or just talking to him; but I knew him, and he would want me to move on and get a grip on my life, and that’s what I’m trying to do. I’ll always have him in my heart and mind though. 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Sorry for taking so long to update, this is a short update, but I really wanted you to know about her background and about her friendship with Kai. Sorry for no Luhan but there'll be more of him on the following chapters!! And I promise there will be some fluff ^^

Comments are welcomed :D