Postcards

Brush

 

He wrote to me again.

He was probably there last night at the gallery. I knew he was there. I felt it. I keep asking myself who this person is and how did he know me that way. I rarely go out with friends and I rarely go out of the house unless I run errands. Or maybe, he was introduced to me by a friend. I’m really not good with names. I just remember faces. Sometimes I draw them so I’ll remember.

 I walked to the kitchen to get me a cup of coffee and I heard a knock on the door. My heart skipped a beat. Is it another letter? I walked closer to the door and all I can hear was me breathing. There was a mailman standing in front of my door, 5 steps away from me, wearing a blue shirt and white pants. I said hi and he came closer and handed me over an envelope. The mailman said it came from a boy who just passed by while he was walking to have the mails delivered, asked him to give it to the house with the white door across the street. I asked the mailman what he looked like and he said, all he can remember is that the boy is wearing a grey baseball hat, a white hoodie, and jeans. He said that the boy had really nice eyes. Deep and very mysterious he said.

I thanked the mailman and went inside the house.

I opened the envelope and it was a post card.

 

 

“Last night constellations float in the dark, underlining your face.

You stood out of the crowd and I was there. I was in front of you at one point but I was too shy to say hi.

Please don’t be scared of me.

YJ”

 

 

Ahh this boy! Why didn’t he have the guts to say hi to me, I don’t bite! He was there. We could’ve finally met and maybe hangout for a bit. How can I even reply to him if he doesn’t leave any information about him, even his address. I wanted to write back but I’m still wondering how I can send it to him. Should I just leave it by the mailbox? On my doorstep? It really feels weird now. I am a bit scared but also curious of what this boy is about. There is an urge to get to know the face behind these mysterious letters.  The mailman said he had mysterious eyes. I want to draw him. Maybe I’ll do when I finally get to meet him.

I put down the postcard on the dining table and went to my room to get my pen and paper. I sat down and looked at the 2 envelopes I received from him. It was a surreal moment because I didn’t even know who I’m writing to. All I know is that his name is YJ. Look at that guy! He only left his initials on all the letters, why not his whole name? He’s really good at making himself mysterious and the more I deny it, the more I get curious, the more I’m hooked.

 

 

“Hi YJ,

Thank you for the letter and the postcard you sent me. If you were at the exhibit last night, why were you too shy to approach me? We could’ve finally met. And also, have you been watching me because I’m starting to feel weird about this set up. Who are you? When will I meet you?”

 

I left the letter on the porch thinking he might come over to leave another letter or a postcard for me. I wish it gets to him though.

 

The morning came and I went at the front door and saw that my letter was gone but there is another letter left for me. I was too excited I opened it right away.

 

“Now that you asked me those questions I feel shy about telling you more about myself.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to hide anything from you from now on it just feels odd.

I have been a fan of your work and there was always something in me that tells me to approach you but I can’t.

I have always wondered if I can even get close to you. Be steps away from you. I will probably lose myself.

Can you send me something that can remind me of you? If you decide to write back, leave it hanging on your mailbox.

Take good care of your hands, they are precious.

YJ”

 

 

This guy is making me like him even if he’s mysterious that’s for sure. My heart is overwhelmed with feelings I cannot imagine. He felt so near me. So I wrote back right away..

 

“Dearest YJ,

What is there to stop you from approaching me? I’m flattered that you think of me that way. Do I get something from you as well? I attached a small postcard with this letter. I offer myself in a postcard instead, hand painted by myself. We started this through letters and postcards so might as well give you a personalized one.

I hope you are well.”

 

I left the letter hanging on my mailbox tonight, wishing he sees it later or whenever. I hope he replies.

 

The morning came too fast I wasn’t even aware of the time. I should be going to Himchan’s house because it’s her mother’s birthday and I never miss that. I heard my phone ring as I was about to prepare to head out of the house and saw that it was a text message from Himchan saying,

“If you don’t come, this friendship is over.”

Isn’t he loveable? He’s just joking right? Of course I wouldn’t miss her mom’s birthday. They have been my family since my parents work abroad and I am left with myself and my craft. I miss them of course. Everyday.

So I head out and locked the door.

I saw a letter hanging from my mailbox but it isn’t the letter I left last night, it’s a different envelope.

I ran towards the mailbox with excitement, every step made with a smile, and instantly pulled the letter out of its place.