The Mountain Is Sad

At Least One Of Us Has To Live

Jonghyun was half way up the mountainside when his senses finally returned to him. He made a sharp turn and stepped on the breaks. He heard the corpse hit the side of the car loudly and gripped the steering wheel so stiffly that the skin that spread over his knuckles turned white.

He couldn’t believe what was in his hands now – a corpse, shot and bloody from the barrel of his sunbae’s gun. His morals as a detective swarmed his brain. He started this and he had to at least end it and think about what he was going to do later.

Jonghyun started to drive again, faster now. He was eager to dispose of the body and get home quickly, have a steamy shower and forget about what happened. His eyes now, seemed almost frenzied and unfocused. A pair of headlights shone gravely at Jonghyun eyes and he tore back his hands to cover them. He had forgotten that it was a one lane road in his hurry. He stepped firmly on the brakes and twisted his wrists to steer the car to the side to avoid impact with the bigger car.

For a second he thought everything had stopped until his head slammed against the wheel. Another car had slammed into the back of his own. The sparks of Jonghyun’s life had finally burnt out.

 

 

 

 

A small boy peeked out of his bedroom window late at night. He marvelled at the moon and the stars and mountains that were tall and standing with pride. He watched with wide eyes as a bright fiery ball of light tumbled down the mountain side like a tear drop down the mountain’s cheek. The mountain is sad.