first.

This Is Goodbye.

     It’s a warm May afternoon and Do Kyungsoo is snuggled on the couch with his millionaire boyfriend, Kim Jongin.

     Well, maybe not a millionaire- yet. Jongin’s dad runs Kim Mining Corporation, a company that drills deep into the earth to find useful metals like silver, zinc, copper, etc. and ships it to the entire world. Half of the towering buildings and gleaming doorknobs on the planet are made from materials that KMC mines, so it’s obvious that Jongin’s father is filthy rich and his son is next in line… but he’ll be sure to withdraw the inheritance if he learns that Jongin is dating a man.

     Kyungsoo’s eyes are glued to the television screen and his boyfriend is doing his best not to laugh at what’s unfolding in the drama they’re watching.

     “I have cancer,” the lead female blurts out, and the two lose it.

     “OH MY GOD THIS HAPPENS IN EVERY DRAMA,” Jongin guffaws, body shaking in laughter.

     “I KNOW RIGHT,” Kyungsoo replies and falls off the couch giggling.

     “In every single drama, the girl always has some life-threatening disease and dies and her boyfriend throws her ashes into the wind at the last episode and cries and oh my this is so predictable,” Jongin chuckles, turning off the TV.

     Kyungsoo shakes his head, feeling like he’s going to explode in a mushroom cloud of dramas and clichés. “So dumb.”

     Jongin’s eyes wander off to the calendar hanging directly above their TV and his brows furrow for a moment as he recalls something. “Soo, don’t you have a check-up at the hospital today?”

     The older man nods. “Oh yeah, I forgot.” He gets off the floor and walks over to the door to put on his shoes. “Coming with?”

     Jongin gives him an apologetic smile. “Sorry hyung, Dad asked me to go to his office today and look over some papers. Next year when I’m twenty-five he’s going to give the company over to me so Dad’s calling me in more.”

     Kyungsoo shrugs and steps outside their apartment. “It’s fine. Have fun checking documents, Mr Kim~,” he coos as he shuts the door.

     It’s a long drive to the hospital, but Kyungsoo doesn’t mind. He turns up the radio and sings along to the new pop song that has been making its way around every single station for the past two weeks.

     Suddenly, his temple throbs painfully and Kyungsoo almost swerves off the road. Headaches that started three months ago return frequently and hurt more each time. Angry drivers behind his car honk indignantly and shout at Kyungsoo to keep his eyes on the road, but strangely, their voices waver and distort. Kyungsoo pulls over and massages the sides of his head before continuing on his way to the hospital. The reason he has an appointment today is because of these headaches, not for a check-up. He just didn’t tell Jongin because the younger tends to get worried very easily and who would Kyungsoo be to give his boyfriend more stress?

     The Gyeong-go Hospital is fancy, large, and sleek, glass and silver glinting in the sunlight. Kyungsoo walks down the brightly lit halls and into room C431.

     A man with short black hair and stick-out ears looks up from a laptop at the sound of the door opening and smiles widely. “Hyung! Take a seat!”

     Kyungsoo settles himself in the chair across from the doctor’s and shivers from the cold radiating from the white, sterile walls of the room.

     “So what’s up?” the other man asks, fingers poised over the laptop keyboard.

     “I’ve been getting these real bad headaches lately,” Kyungsoo explains, watching as the doctor’s fingers fly over the keys. “Sometimes when people talk to me, their voices are  warped like I’m trying to listen from underwater. I feel nauseous even when I’m not in a car and my eyesight blurs although I have perfect vision. Other days, I forget little things like what floor my apartment space is on and a few of my coworker’s names. Chanyeol, do you know what’s going on?”

      The other man finishes typing and bites down on his lower lip. After a moment of silence, he stands and beckons for Kyungsoo to come with him.

      “Where are we going?” Kyungsoo asks, hugging himself as the hospital cold threatens to seep beneath his skin.

     “We’re getting an x-ray,” Chanyeol replies grimly. “Of your brain.” Kyungsoo feels dread well up inside of him.

      He latches onto Chanyeol’s arm and shudders violently from the cold and fear. “Why?”

      Chanyeol doesn’t answer.

     Kyungsoo keeps on shivering throughout the entire x-ray procedure, knees knocking together and teeth clattering. His hands shake as doctors perform multiple tests on his brain and pore over the x-ray scans for almost two hours. It’s almost dinnertime when Kyungsoo is called into Chanyeol’s office.

     “Hyung,” Chanyeol begins, and he reaches across his desk to grasp Kyungsoo’s hand. “I’m sorry.”

     “You are diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s, hyung. And… you have a brain tumor growing on your left temporal lobe.”

      Kyungsoo closes his eyes and he begins to tremble more than ever. He feels like ice is crawling up his legs, spreading to his arms and neck and covering his fingers in frost.

     Chanyeol slides a thick packet over to Kyungsoo. “This has all the medical information and x-rays.” He clears his throat. “Hyung, do you want to call Jongin so I can talk to both of you about this, or-”

      “No,” Kyungsoo interrupts, opening his eyes and reaching out to flip the first page of the packet open. “I’ll tell him later.”

      His friend looks at him with a sorrowful expression and gives Kyungsoo’s hand a firm squeeze.

 

 

     “I’m here, Father.”

     Mr Kim turns in his chair to see his only son standing nervously in the doorway to his office.

     “Ah, Jongin. Come sit,” he greets. Jongin obeys and Mr Kim takes off his glasses, setting them down next to a pile of paperwork.

     “Jongin, I didn’t call you here to look over documents,” he says.  His son’s eyebrows furrow. “The actual reason you’re here is because I want to ask you this: did you really think I wouldn’t find out about Do Kyungsoo?”

     Jongin feels his breath hitch and he stares at his dad with wild eyes. “F-father, I-”

     “I thought I raised you better than this,” Mr Kim snaps. “Do Kyungsoo is a man. I find it disgusting that my only son, my pride and joy, has a male lover. When I found out last week, my first thought was to disown you and hand the company over to your cousin Joonmyun. But I am willing to give you a second chance… if you leave Do Kyungsoo.”

      Jongin’s eyes widen. “But Father-”

     Mr Kim raises a hand. “If you leave Do Kyungsoo and cut all ties with him, I will turn a blind eye to whatever other activities you do as long as it doesn’t involve another relationship with a man. You’ll be able to continue this silly dancing hobby of yours. I’ll keep giving you money every month for spending purposes and I will personally cover rent for a new apartment. And even though I hate to do this, I’m also offering an escape from taking my place as CEO of Kim Mining Corporation. Joonmyun will inherit the company but you’ll still receive money even though you have absolutely nothing to do with it.” He leans back in his chair. “How does that sound, Jongin?”

     His son clenches his fists. What his father just offered is basically everything Jongin dreams of- having enough money, dancing, not having to take care of the company at all. But what is money if he can’t buy things for Kyungsoo? What is dance if he can’t dance for Kyungsoo? It’s better for Jongin to drown in a sea of uncomfortable black suits and executive board member meetings than to give up the one he loves.

     “I only want Kyungsoo,” Jongin announces, staring straight into his father’s eyes.

     “Regardless, I will make sure that you two are separated. Kim Jongin, if you don’t cut all ties with Do Kyungsoo, I will put together an arranged marriage with the daughter of Zhang Yixing, founder of Zhang Imports,” Mr Kim hisses.

     A tear slips out the corner of Jongin’s eye. “Why are you doing this?”

     “Your pick,” Mr Kim says, drumming his fingertips on top of his desk. “Choose.”


 

 

 

 

 

A/N: 1) this is supposed to be a oneshot but it's going to be too long and i don't want to keep any of my subscribers waiting. plus, i'm not even halfway done with the story orz. however, this will be uploaded as a oneshot on my livejournal account when i'm finished with the fic.

2) i didn't really do any editing so i'll be back later to fix things up lol

3) thanks for reading and subscribing! the second chapter will be up later today.