Grandfather's final wish?

Is it really love?

 

That same morning a young man who was twenty two years of age was just getting up. His wavy and messy black hair wrapped around the back of his neck. He showers and changes into brand name clothes which are on the covers of the latest fashion magazines. While drying his hair he presses a nearby button on the wall which a small screen. “Send up my breakfast.”

 A few minutes later a secretarycomes upstairs, places a box with a cup of coffee in it, bows and leaves.In his opinion, there was never really enough time to have breakfast so he would just have a morning coffee. He would probably eat a snack later at work.The young man sits on the queen sized bed and grabs a newspaper that was sitting next to thecoffeebox. He opens up the financial section and he looks over the stocks while he drinks.He puts on his glasses and eyes the paper carefully, making sure that he does not miss a single detail.

“It looks as if I made the right decision; Shinohara Co’s stocks have been raised by six percent.” said the young man. The name of this man was Shinohara Kazuki. Kazuki was the top director which was the position right under the president which was his grandfather.Although his grandfather was president in name, it was in reality Kazuki who did the most work.He was next in line to his grandfather’s successor. Soon he would receive Shinohara Co which contained branches in several different movie industries. If you were to look at all of the recent movies that became a hit, you knew it would be the work of Shinohara.

Kazuki placed the newspaper at his bedside table and then took out a crème colored envelope from his bag. He looked over the numbers and started to nod and shake at some, luckily there was more nodding. He then placed the papers back in the envelope and placed the strap of his bag over his shoulder. While holding the cup of coffee in his left hand and envelope under his chin he opened the door. Kazuki then quickly shut and locked the door while quickly going down the stairs that led from his penthouse to the ground floor.

For convenience he lives on the top floor of his work place. One of the things that Kazuki finds the most annoying is wasting time. If something can be done quickly, then it should be done as fast as possible. A few workers greet him as he goes down the stairs. He would normally take the elevator, but he was in a rush this morning. It was the first time in a while that his grandfather had summoned him. His grandfather calling him from work definitely meant that he wished to talk about something important.  

Kazuki then used another key which was on the same ring as his house keys to open his car door. He drives a blue Acura Integra with the capability to go up to 320 kph.Although it’s not the newest car model, he felt that it would be fine as long as it was in good condition. One of the things he hated most was wasting money. Except on clothes. As a director of Shinohara Co, he had to look good.

 He places the envelope on the passenger seat next to him, and the coffee in the cup holder. He then puts on his seatbelt and steps on the gas. His grandfather had called a meeting in their sub branch.It would have been easier to have just met at the main branch, but his grandfather felt that using the sub branch would we quieter and would inconvenience less people. He just had to inconvenience his grandson. It was a 20 minute drive to the sub branch. A lot can happen in business in terms of 20 minutes. And there was the drive back too. It just put Kazuki in a bad mood. And when already so much time was being wasted, he just had to hit a red light. And that old lady at the cross walk, couldn’t she walk faster? It’s not as if the whole world revolves around her and flows at her pace. Geez.

Just five minutes before the meeting was to start he arrived. Heloosened his tie andwent to sitnext to his grandfather.

“You were almost late.” said his grandfather.His grandfather looked at him with a face of disappointment. As if he expected better from his grandson.

“Even Kazuya managed to arrive earlier than you. Should I give him the inheritance instead?” his grandfather asked.

“Yeah- yeah,” said Kazuki. He was used to listening to his grandfather’s nagging. He put on his reading glasses then adjusted his tie. Today was the day. Grandfather was holding this meeting to set out the terms and regulations he would like his successor to follow. And he was surely next in line.He wouldn’t really need to worry about Kazuya.

His grandfather chuckled a bit. “It must have been difficult for all of you to come so early today. I prepared a morning snack for you all.” He motioned to his secretary who then passed out red bean buns to everyone.

Kazuki frowned in distaste as he picked up his packaged red bean bun. His grandfather probably ordered these on purpose. He knew how much he hated anything made from wheat. Kazuki was an all rice type of guy. He placed the bun back on the table and then leaned back in his chair with both his legs and his arms crossed.

“Not eating your bread cousin?” Kazuya softly elbowed Kazuki on the shoulder. “Can I have it then?”

Of course he would want it. This kid loved bread more than anything else. Except girls and money of course. “Go ahead.” Said Kazuki.

“You sure?” asked Kazuya. “You won’t regret it?”

“You already know that I don’t like eating this type of food.” replied Kazuki.

“3-2-and gone.” Kazuya took the bread with a grin on his face. Way for the guy to rub it in. Kazuki would just have to opt for an earlier lunch then. He would try to make time. However, he would probably have to eat while working again. He just never seemed to have enough time.

People continued to discuss and enjoy their bread (all except Kazuki of course) until his grandfather stood up. The room became quiet immediately as everyone turned in their chairs and raised the eyes to look at their president. “Ihope that you have all enjoyed the little treat I have prepared for you today, and I will now share the reason why I have called you all here today.” The president took a pause and looked around the room. When reassured that he had everyone’s attention, he continued. “Ihave decided that the two candidates to become a successor are my grandsons are Kazuki and Kazuya. I will explain the terms later to them in person. Whoever qualifies will have the right to take over.I urge you all not to worry; I will select the candidate that proves himself to be the best for our company. The reason I have decided to bring this topic up today is because I am not sure how much time I have left. As a man approaching my later years, one can never know when the end is to come. Shinohara Co under the right leadership will definitely continue to prosper after my passing. If there are any objections to my decision in choosing the candidates, please speak up now.”No one spoke up, but there were a few nods as they talked around themselves. Thankfully the majority appeared to favor Kazuki as their future president.

Kazuki had already known that he would be chosen as one of the candidates for being successor, but why couldn’t he be named as successor right then and there? Why did there have to be other candidates? Darn that old man. Why was he letting Kazuya his older cousin have an equal playing field.It just made no sense, and he was sure that many of the managers present at the meeting didn’t recognize Kazuya either.

 Kazuya was only eye candy at work.Meaning that he would sometimes show up to prove that he was still “working” at the company, but would not really do any work at all.Several times healsocalledinsick,even though he was out playing at one night club or another. Who knew how many girls he had and if he went home at night? To think that his name means ‘peaceful one’. Kazuki couldn’t think of a time when Kazuya was ever peaceful. The only reason he would show up to work at all and not live off his savings was because of his mother.  

Everyone then began to leave after the president’s speech. “Gramps, call me when you want to discuss the terms, okay? I’m off to go ‘work’. Everyone is probably waiting for me.” Kazuya then kissed his fingers, made a peace sign, and then left as well.

After everyone had all left, Kazuki slammed his hands down on the tableand looked up to his grandfather. “Grandfather. What are you thinking letting Kazuya have a chance at being successor?You know he doesn’t really work.” His grandfatherwas making things complicated, he just needed to pass down his position to Kazuki and everything would be alright.

 “You know that Grandfather hasn’t been in good health lately.” The grandfather said with a weak voice.The old man was probably faking it to get his pity.“Adding Kazuya to the competition was the only way that I could get you to follow through for me. Before I move on from this world,there was a promise I made to a friend when he gave me some money to start out this business. In exchange for the money,I promised to have our children marry. Unfortunately on both sides we only had sons.However, I realized that I would still be able to keep my promise when he had his granddaughter. The fact that hehe has a granddaughter the promise has been passed on to youor Kazuya for that matter.You know the one I really favor is you. Why else would I be telling you first? It’s just that you’re so stubborn, that you wouldn’t get married otherwise. I have long realized that you take after me in my stubbornness. There is no mistake in that. Basically, whoevermarries the girl is my successor.”

 “Ehhh?” said Kazuki. How was this possible? He had always been the diligent hardworking grandson,and now in order to continue the business he had to marry this girl? And Kazuya had a fair chance of succeeding as well.Although Kazuya was not smart in business like he was, he at least had a way with woman. How could his grandfather do this to him? Hadn’t he already done enough to prove his loyalty and ability in directing the company?He had evengiven up his dream to become a lawyer because he wanted to please grandfather, a dream that he had for ten years of his life.And now this? “You’re joking right grandfather? Joking, right?” Kazuki stuttered.

“It is my last wish. And ithas been put in writing. The marriage of one of my grandsons with my friend’s granddaughter is not to be taken as a joke. I was quite serious when I decided to add this term in my will.” His grandfather replied.

Kazuki placed his hands on his grandfather’s shoulders and shook him. “Why are you doing this to me grandfather? Why? After all that I’ve done. After all that I’ve sacrificed and succeeded in, am I still not good enough for you grandfather? Tell me how I can do better. Please. I will do anything, but this.”

“Don’t do this to me Kazuki. Please. It’s my last wish.” All of a sudden his grandfatherclutched his heart with both handsand began to take short quick breaths. As he starts to fall over,Kazuki quickly pulls his grandfather into his embrace.

 “Grandfather!” shouted Kazuki. “Are you alright?” No answer. “Grandfather, stay with me!” He continues to remain unconscious. “Help! Somebody help!” shouted Kazuki. “There’s a person dying!” Kazuki while holding grandfather in his left arm dialed the emergency numberon his phonewith his right.

 “Hello, is this 119?” asked Kazuki. “We have an elderly person here who is having difficulty breathing. We are located on the top story of Shinohara Co’s sub branch in Tokyo. Can you please come as quick as possible? He’s had heart problems for a while, but something seems different now.”

A few moments later Kazuki is running next to the stretcher in the hallway of a hospital. One doctor checked his grandfather’s pulse and did other quick inspections. “Take this patient to the observationroom immediately!” He shouted. “It appears as if he has had a bad heart attack.”

 “Will he be okay?” Kazuki asked.

“We don’t know.” answered one of the nurses. “We can only hope for the best.”She placed a hand on Kazuki’s shoulder and then turned around to leave with the others.

 Not sure what to do, Kazuki sits outside on a wooden bench and clasps his hands together. A look of worry is on his face while he lookddown at the marble tiled floor.‘Black tile. Red tile. White tile. Black tile.’Every so often he would check his watch in impatience but would soon return his gaze to the floor.He could always go back to the office and call later to check up on his grandfather, but he was scared.What would happen if grandfather didn’t make it? Grandfather was one of his only relatives after his parents had passed away in a car accident when he was four.

Although their personalities always clashed, his grandfather had always been there for him when he needed him most. The questions were, would he continue to be with him? And for how much longer? And even if his grandfather were to get better now, there was no guarantee that his problem would not get worse in the future. This heart attack now was probably only the beginning.  

After about three hours his grandfather was taken out of observation  andwasput in a room to rest.They had managed to stabilize both his heart rate and his breathing, but they had requested that he stay the night so that they could continue to monitor him. Kazuki had wanted to go into the room and see his grandfather himself, but his grandfather had refused. His stubborn personality probably did not wish for his grandson to see him while he was in his moment of weakness.

However, his grandfather did allow his secretary to enter the room. The secretary remained in his grandfather’s room for approximately fifteen minutes before exiting. The secretary slowly slid the door closed and approached Kazuki.

“The president said that he would like to rest now and not be disturbed.” said the secretary. “He also wanted me to tell the director that although he had announced officially the general term of his will in regards to his successor at the meeting, his will is still undergoing to process of being legally finalized. He has only just recently submitted it, and it may take a while because the president is always making corrections. Yet regardless of all this, the main term will remain the same. A marriage between one of his grandsons and the other party will have to occur. He has also told me that a lawyer will meet up with both the director and his cousin in a month’s time to discuss the terms in more detail.  

 A month’s time was it? He wouldn’t know who the girl was for another month’s time? He knew that his grandfather would be too stubborn to reveal her name before the terms were finalized, but what would he do for a month’s time? Was he just expected to wait? All of this news had come on to him so fast. He had to relieve stress. Kazuki decided to do something he normally wouldn’t do, and ditch work for the rest of the day. The company would still manage fine for a day without him.

He left the hospital and drove to the gym. He opened his truck and took out a bag of gym clothes and a racket. After changing in the locker room, he then entered a room to play squash. The fact that he was a V.V.I.P. meant that he could come and go whenever he wished, and stay for as long as he wanted. He bounced the ball once and hit it against the wall. Which each time he hit the ball, he felt a little bit more weight off his shoulders. It was relieving, but he felt it wasn’t enough. He would just have to handle the remainder of the stress. His hands then began to shake. This was probably one of the longest games of squash that he had ever played. As beads of sweat began to drip down his face, he collapsed against the wall and took deep breaths.

He heard a knock on the door. It was Kazuya holding a water bottle. “It looks like you could use a drink. Are you that worried that I will take the inheritance from you?” 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry if this chapter may also be boring. I'm still in the process of setting up the story. xD If you actually read this whole chapter, thank you. I will try to update faster if you guys comment.