1

It's Too Cold Outside For Angels To Fly

The previous month, E-Young had got in a heated argument with her family. Things had been damaged, bridges had been burnt down between them. Finally E-Young was kicked out of home with nothing but her guitar. E-Young would sit on a quiet street in the busy city of Seoul playing her guitar. Nobody ever bothered her, some people gave her a little bit of money which she would buy some food with but it was a hard life. Warm days, sometimes it got so hot E-Young had nowhere to go in the shade and had no money for water. Sometimes E-Young would even be close to passing out. Cold nights, it got so cold that E-Young huddled close to her guitar to try and get some kind of heat from it. E-Young knew she would keep going. She used her guitar to help her get money to buy food and water, but she never had enough to buy a sleeping bag. As winter came to Seoul, E-Young was finding it harder and harder to keep warm. She sat on the quiet street shivering in the night, hoping that one day she'd be able to find somewhere warm to stay. Right now she was focusing on staying alive.

 

Meanwhile somewhere in Busan, Lizzy was getting ready to move to her apartment in Seoul to start her new job. She had a long coversation with her parents, then checked over all her stuff, packed up her car and said goodbye to Busan then began the long drive to Seoul. Today the traffic wasn't that bad. She reached the apartment in a few hours, then took the stuff up with the help of a few people and set up the room. When Lizzy was done she went out for some coffee. She walked down a quiet street and saw a girl with long blonde hair sat on the pavement playing her guitar. Lizzy wondered why she was there, she didn't look very well and from how the things around her were set out she'd been there for a while. Lizzy went over and put a small amount of money next to the girl. The girl smiled at her and Lizzy smiled back then went to the coffee shop.

 

A few weeks later, E-Young was sat on the street still when she saw the girl walk past. The girl came past every day and gave her money which E-Young was very greatful of. She'd managed to get food and water every day because of this girl. E-Young wished that she could talk to the girl, but she always seemed to be in a rush. As always, the girl came over and gave E-Young some money, then she went off to the coffee shop across the street. E-Young carried on playing her guitar, the girl dwelled on her mind once again for the entire day. E-Young decided that she would try to talk to her next time she came.

 

Three cold nights later, Lizzy was walking down the quiet street again and she saw the girl with the guitar lying on the pavement shivering. She had nothing, no blankets, no protection from the cold, just her guitar. Lizzy went over to her and saw the girl was asleep. Lizzy felt sorry for her, she wanted to help her so much so she carefully picked her up and picked the guitar up too and carried the girl to her apartment. She put the girl on the couch and sat in the chair in the corner waiting for her to wake up. Eventually Lizzy fell asleep too.

 

E-Young woke up on a comfy couch in a warm apartment. At first she thought she was dreaming, but when she sat up and realised this was reality she was shocked. She looked around and saw the girl who came past every day sitting in a chair, fast asleep. E-Young wondered why the girl had bought her here, but never the less she was extremely greatful. This was the first time she'd been inside ever since she'd been kicked out of her house. E-Young watched as the girl's eyes opened and she looked up at E-Young and smiled.

"Hi.. I'm E-Young.." Said E-Young slowly. "Thank you for bringing me here.. Thank you for giving me money every day for food and water.."

"It's nothing, really..  I'm just trying to help. I see you every day and I feel so sorry for you that you're always out on that cold street. I'm Lizzy." Said the girl called Lizzy, smiling.

"Why did you bring me inside? Nobody else has ever been so kind as to even talk to me.. Let alone take me to their house.." E-Young asked.

"..Because.. It's too cold outside for angels to fly." Said Lizzy slowly. "Now make yourself at home, eat as much as you want. You can stay here for as long as you need. I'll be at work."

Before E-Young could say anything else, Lizzy left.

 

A few years later, Lizzy was waking up next to E-Young. The two had been together now for over a year after E-Young had confessed to Lizzy one summer night. They were planning to get married soon and things were going well.

"Good morning, beautiful." E-Young said, smiling at Lizzy.

"Good morning E-Youngie.." Lizzy said, yawning.

 

A month later, E-Young and Lizzy were doing their wedding speeches.

"One thing I have always wondered ever since the day we first spoke is one thing.." E-Young started.

"And what is that?" Lizzy asked.

"You said to me 'Its too cold outside for angels to fly'. Ever since you said it, I've been wondering what you meant." E-Young said.

"I said it because you're innocent and pure like an angel. If I'd left you out there, you would have died in the cold.. I didn't want you to fly away.." Lizzy said.

E-Young felt tears come to her eyes.

 

The evening after the wedding came and they lay together on their bed.

"Saranghae.." They said to each other.

Everything was happy, and they loved one and other eternally.