Chapter One

Transparent Answer

Kevin's POV

I sat by his desk again; well it was my assigned seating anyway so I shouldn’t feel nervous or anything I think. I’m the only one here this early well besides him, who always comes earlier than anyone.

I wouldn’t have even come this early if it wasn’t for the test results being handed out today and I was so nervous I could hardly sleep. That’s why I woke up at three and made my brother drive me here; I had to wait for the school to open.

I waited two hours until the janitor feeling bad had finally let me in. Although I had to wait a while, I wondered how he could have possibly come before me this time.

Oh well today I was especially excited because I hoped I had done better on the test than last time, and so I wanted to know the results as soon as possible. I wanted so bad to do better and for some reason the more I got worked up over it the longer it seemed that I had to wait.

Although wasn’t he excited? I looked over his desk to see his facial expression and it was just the same dull look he always wore.

Jeez why couldn’t he be more excited than that, isn’t that why he came so early too? Well I guess I couldn’t really make him happy or nervous or either just because I am, and just because I am doesn’t mean that he has to be.

Looking up at the clock only seemed to worsen the situation and considering I was doing that every few minutes it didn’t help, I might as well just keep staring at the clock the way I was expecting it to move.

Plus it didn’t really help that he was here early either because my nerve levels only spiked up with him being here because I liked him very much. I mean I didn’t know how he felt about me because he was a hard person to read. Although I would like to believe that he likes me, but I always keep that thought stored away in my head.

He was a very lonely person, well I could only presume because he never really talked to anyone and no girl ever came up to him to say that they liked him. Plus I haven’t ever seen him hang out with any girl or guy friends.

Also I don’t think he had a girlfriend which I was really happy for. Although as soon as I thought that I felt bad for thinking it because I should be happy for him whether he has one or not.

The handles of time began to quickly pass as I kept deep in thought, distracting myself with useless thoughts. My mind would do better to keep it steered away from him, but every few seconds I kept looking at him. Not that he probably would mind because he doesn’t really pay attention to what I do or really anything.

As to not get too suspicious I timed my one second glances to every half an hour to an hour. The truth was that until recently, maybe during the beginning stages of middle school have I had a little crush on him and slowly that crush started to grow and now we were in the same high school.

Soon the classroom started to slowly fill with students as the time wore on and eventually the teacher came in and the class started for the day.

My mind went back to the test results and I got excited again and so I almost bounced in my seat as the teacher kept talking. When she finally said that she would pass out our test results I was so happy I almost burst out the seat.

When the test results were being passed out I was so happy when I was the first one with the test. Soon the whole class had theirs and I uncovered the paper for my answer but I wanted to cry as soon as I flipped it over it was only ten percent more than last time I have a sixty four now.

Feeling embarrassed I asked the person sitting next to me for their results and they replied bored with a casual one hundred as that was the most normal thing in the world.

Laughing I took a hold of my paper even tighter as my crush looked over at mine and I swear my face grew even redder. I laughed off my embarrassment as the teacher called attention to everyone and the class began to start for the day.

Well I knew he was a genius, for sure smarter than me at least, but it still disheartened me to have a way less score than me. That was one of the reasons I also like him because he wasn’t like the other guys in my school, he was very closed off and didn’t have any friends, he was also extremely smart.

As the lesson dragged on I decided to be brave enough and write up a letter to him; ‘come meet me on top of the roof.’ That’s what the letter I wrote said, and in truth I was actually really nervous to deliver it to him, but I had to start somewhere.

I wasn’t going to say I loved him, or ask him to be my boyfriend or anything that was too clique and wouldn’t really happen in real life. Although I was still nervous to what I was going to do regardless and I swiftly made it into a little paper crane and flew it over to him.

I don’t know if he got it or not I was too embarrassed to see and when class ended I quickly ran out of the room and practically ran off to my next classroom.

The teacher told me to slow down but I don’t think I really heard her, because her words were being blurred inside my head. My heart was racing and it refused to stop, but thoughts of him kept popping into my head.

Of all the times that I could have chosen for me to make friends with him was immense, why I did now I honestly have no clue. I’ll just blame my embarrassment and the feelings I have for him because I being embarrassed makes me want to do everything to keep from feeling those stupid emotions even though they are impulsive.

Plus the crush on Kiseop makes me want to talk to him. Therefore my sudden outspoken braveness should be excused with that explanation.

Besides if I would consider our positions then I would say that I was a pretty popular person, no I’m just kidding I’m not really that popular I just know a lot of people. In fact no matter what group a person was or in whatever clique I knew them and everyone in the school considered me a nice person.

Kiseop on the other hand was a loner and didn’t really have interaction with people or friends like I stated before. Plus he was a really smart person, naturally and his study habits were extremely well. So we were sort of on the other end of the spectrum, except for the fact that neither of us had friends.

That could be my excuse for giving him such a weird thing, I was a friendly person and I just wanted to be his friend. Which in fact were actually true and maybe for once both of us could be each others’ real friend.

That’s would be nice for the both of us and I smiled as the day literally flew by and I thought this in the last ten minutes I had of my last class.

After the bell I ran to the roof top which was actually stupid I thought when I got up there because what if he has some common sense. Well of course he had common sense I hit myself with the palm of my hand.

I sit down and pulled a blank sheet of paper out and started to whittle away at my project while I let the thoughts of today unfold in my head over again.

What if Kiseop doesn’t show up? I mean that was just a random letter, not even a letter a paper crane. Wait what if he didn’t even know how to open it or thought it was weird or random, and because he thought it was random he must have thrown it away without even reading it.

Or what if it didn’t even land on his desk so he didn’t even get it to read? Or even worse what if someone else got it and read it? Wait did I even put directions to the roof? Did I even put the direction of the meeting place? Wait what if he forgot? Or didn’t want to come? Wait did I even tell him when to come?

As these ignorant thoughts surged through my head, my heart began to pump so fast which caused me to work faster and I created at least four paper cranes, putting them in a row together.

Soon I heard a door click taking me away from my reverie and when I looked in the direction of it to see my crush standing there, my heart began to work twice as hard.

His figure kept approaching me and as it went closer and closer my cheeks reddened more and more. In a matter of minutes he was kneeling in front of me and I didn’t even know what to say.

Man I wish that drive I had before was still in me now, that random spur of reckless words without paying attention to the consequences. I thought I would be an idiot and stay like that for a while speechless but somehow I found the words to say “Let’s make paper cranes?”

I was happy as he sat down next to me and took out some paper and started to make the tiny inanimate animals with me. For quite some time we stayed like that making each our own separately and I was happy that he even came at all let alone was just doing this with me without even questioning anything.

After some time he asked me how to do them and when I looked over at his pile of cranes I laughed and I helped him because they were so deformed.

When I showed him how to do it a few times, he got the hang of it and started doing them on his own. Of course they weren’t that good but they were certainly better than his first batch.

“Why are we making cranes?” He finally said after some moments of comfortable silence passed us by.

“You don’t have to make cranes if you don’t want to; I just make them because that’s the only thing I can make well, I can’t really make anything else.” I said starting my thirty fifth one.

He continued making his, that weren’t as good as mine, but he kept getting better and better with each one, after a while he asked me something again.

“So why did you invite here? I know it’s not to just make paper cranes anyway.” He asked again, I assume trying to make more conversation with me.

“What’s wrong with just making paper cranes?” I commented back, concentrating on my masterpiece, apparently doing this helped to calm me down and now with this normal comfortable tone of air I could be myself.

“Well nothing I guess, but what are we going to do with them?” I felt him go into his state of asking questions in order to figure out what he was doing here. That’s the type of person he was and within a few questions he could figure out the simplest of things and decide what his next move was.

This is why things were boring for him, because he could figure things out pretty quickly, that’s at least what I have noticed from observing him for a long time. Not that I was a stalker or anything I was just curious, but what crush wouldn’t be?

“Let’s leave them here and just keep making more of them.” I said, “Or we could just throw them over the edge and watch them float to the bottom. We could throw some out that we don’t like and leave half the stack here to stay, half-half.” I got up then and took all of mine in my arms and he followed along with me.

“So why did you ask me here?” He asked again as he set his on the edge as I did and as he looked over his he felt disappointed and pushed all of them off. As though not to show off I pushed all mine off too and we watched the birds float to the bottom. The white paper looked pretty against the setting sun.

“You look so lonely in class; I figured you could use a friend.” I practically whispered back.