two.

Immortal Canvas

A few days had passed since the party and Haneul decided that it was time to take Donghae up on that deal. She began to get ready, wanting to look nice, but not like she tried too hard, when her mother came in.

 

That night of the party when Haneul had returned with Donghae, her mother had given them both a knowing look, especially when she had been informed about the painting. However, she had been decent enough to keep shut.

 

Now, however, as she watched her daughter get ready, she couldn't hold it in any longer, “So... You're going to see Donghae, aren't you?”

 

“Yes I am,” Haneul replied stoically, not wanting to give her mother any satisfaction.

 

“You seemed to get along really well the other night...”

 

“We did.”

 

Her mother nodded and went to stand behind her daughter's chair and leaned on it, “He's very handsome...”

 

“Mother...”

 

“What? You're 18 now, it's about time you start looking for a good husband, and Donghae is a very good candidate!!”

 

Haneul sighed, “Mother, there's nothing going on between me and Donghae, he's just painting me.”

 

“He seemed pretty smitten to me...”

 

Haneul gave her a look.

 

Her mother sighed, “Fine, I won't push it. But at least promise me that you'll be open-minded? Please?”

 

Haneul gave her a small smile, “Alright, mother. Just for you. But don't expect too much!!”

 

Her mother beamed, “That's all I ask.”

 

 

- ~ ~ ~ -

 

Haneul got out of the old carriage that she had been riding in and looked around. She was surprised to see that it was a rundown part of the city with many beggars sitting around on the shop-lined street. She had thought that Donghae was wealthy, why would he have situated his studio here?

 

Haneul turned back to look at the wrinkly old carriage driver, “Are you sure this is the right place?”

 

He nodded, “Aye, madame,” He pointed a crooked finger toward a dark alleyway, “All y' need t' do is go down there an' you'll be at yer destination, miss.”

 

She looked at the alley doubtfully. It looked pretty sketchy, could he be trying to lead her to harm? Then she noticed a sign that said 'Immortal Canvas Studio' and realized that the man was telling the truth.

 

She smiled at him, “Thank you, sir.” She gave him a few coins as payment then he left, his horse clicking steadily down the road and out of her sight.

 

Haneul took a deep breath and proceeded to walk into the alley. She was relieved to see that there was a lantern so that she could tell were she was going and found the door to the studio easily.

 

Standing in front of the door, she hesitated. Should I knock? Or is it a public studio where I can just walk in? Donghae really should have told me this beforehand...

 

She was about to try opening the door when she saw a bell on the door that she was supposed to ring. A few moments later, the door opened to reveal a young man with strange, almost white, blonde hair; a shade she had never seen before.

 

He looked her over quickly then gave her a gummy smile, “Hello, do you have some business here?”

 

She smiled back and nodded, “Um, yes. My name is Haneul, I came to see Donghae. Is he busy at the moment?”

 

The man's eyes widened with realization and his smile became bigger, “You're Haneul? We've been expecting you, come in!”

 

He stepped back to let her in and she was surprised yet again to see that she was in an elegant, brightly lit hallway that certainly did not match the outside of the studio.

 

“Come with me, Donghae will be so happy to see you,” He started to lead her down the hallway as she walked beside him.

 

He turned and smiled mischievously, “You really are as beautiful as he says...”

 

Haneul blushed and he chuckled then held out his hand, “I'm Eunhyuk, by the way.”

 

She shook his hand and smiled, “It's nice to meet you.”

 

They proceeded until they got to a closed door that Eunhyuk opened and peeked into. Haneul saw him smile, then he turned to her with with a finger on his lips, telling her to be quiet. He slowly opened the door wider and they both sneaked into the room where Haneul saw Donghae sitting in front of a canvas with his back to them, lost in his work.

 

Eunhyuk tried to sneak up behind him, getting ready to scare the other man, when Donghae's voice stopped him in his tracks, “Don't even try.”

 

Eunhyuk let out a groan and pouted, “That's not fair, how do you always notice me?”

 

Donghae chuckled, still not looking away from his painting, “Well Hyukkie, to be honest, your footsteps are as loud as an elephant's and you smell like a monkey. A person would have to be completely incapacitated to not notice you.”

 

Haneul, who had been standing a few feet behind them near the door, giggled at his comment, Donghae's head whipped around and his face lit up brightly, “Haneul! You're here!”

 

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes, “Oh, so he notices me, but not her...” He mumbled grudgingly.

 

Donghae stood up, completely forgetting about his painting, “I was waiting for you to come. I was afraid that you had forgotten about our deal.”

 

Haneul smirked, “How could I forget? You were very insistent. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that you were obsessed with me.”

 

Eunhyuk scoffed, “He is. He hasn't stopped talking about you for days.”

 

Donghae glared at him and proceeded to usher him out of the room, “Hey Hyuk, don't you have something you need to do? We have some business to attend to here...”

 

Eunhyuk struggled against him, “No, I think I'm free. Do you think I could stay here and watch while you-”

 

“No,” Donghae replied simply and slammed the door in his friend's face.

 

Haneul giggled again and shook her head, amused by their childish antics, “You know, you could have let him stay. I wouldn't have minded.”

 

“But I would. Knowing him, he'd talk the entire time, distracting us both. I want this painting to be perfect,” he said seriously.

 

This surprised Haneul, “It's just a painting... You really do take your work seriously...”

 

“Yes I do, and for good reason...” He replied ominously. Then he clapped loudly and his usual bright smile was on his face again, “Anyway, shall we start?”