final

Curiosity

Baekhyun was a healthy child.

As a normal 6 year old, he was naturally very curious. It wasn't a bad thing, though. The teachers at his elementary school adored him because of it.

Too bad it landed him in the hospital (following the bird onto the road was not a good decision).

Baekhyun met Chanyeol at the hospital. They were roommates.

At first, they didn't get along very well.

Chanyeol would do something crazy, and Baekhyun would end up getting blamed for it.

One time, Chanyeol tried to flood the bathroom.

Baekhyun attempted to stop him, but was too weak to stop Chanyeol.

He got yelled at for a good 3 hours for that stunt.

They were in the middle of ignoring each other when a harsh hacking noise cut through the air.

Baekhyun couldn't breathe. He grabbed at his chest, vainly trying to get some air into his lungs.

Fingers clawing for the red button, Baekhyun managed to wheeze out,"Need. Help."

Chanyeol rushed over, pushed the call button frantically, and ran down the halls screaming,"BAEKHYUN IS DYING."

The doctors rushed into their rooms and got to Baekhyun just in time.

They got along a lot better after that.

Years passed, and Baekhyun and Chanyeol were close to the point where it was possible that Chanyeol could cough up food into Baekhyun's mouth and Baekhyun would eat it without blinking an eye. 

Baekhyun giggled and snuggled next to Chanyeol, who was reading on his bed.

"Chanyeol~ I'm bored."

Chanyeol raised his eyebrow.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Entertain me." Baekhyun answered with a pout and a head tilt.

Chanyeol groaned but put his book away.

"Okay, how do you want me to entertain you?"

"Can you take me somewhere?"

"And where would that be?"

"To a magical castle."

Chanyeol furrowed his brow. "A magical castle?"

"Yes. I'll be the prince of the castle, and you'll be the princess."

Chanyeol's forehead crinkled even further.

"What makes you think that you'd be the prince?"

Baekhyun's bottom lip was starting to stick out even further than before.

"Let's just make the castle first, okay?"

Using their covers, Chanyeol tucked them into the nightstands, creating a roof.

Baekhyun covered the floor with one blanket and built the walls with pillows.

Once inside, Baekhyun pushed in the last pillow, sealing them in.

Chanyeol the flashlight that he had mysteriously produced.

Baekhyun smiled.

"Okay. Princess Chan-"

"I'm not going to be the princess, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun's smile disappeared and his eyes grew huge.

"Why not?"

"Because... " Chanyeol stalled, dragging the word out as long as he could. He squeezed his eyes shut and thought as quickly as he could.

"Oh! Because I want to be the one that saves you, Baekkie."

Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol into a fierce hug.

"Okay. You can be the prince, Yeol." He murmured, settling into his comforting warmth.

The next day, Baekhyun asked Chanyeol the same thing.

"Can you take me somewhere?"

Chanyeol replied,"Where do you want to go?"

"Let's go to the beach this time!" Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol with a grave look on his face. "A beach filled with lava and chaos."

Chanyeol blinked and nervously smiled at him. "Sure?"

Baekhyun shrieked as they jumped from cover to pillow to bed. "Don't touch the floor!" 

Stumbling, Chanyeol started to make a graceful arc to the ground.

Baekhyun yelled,"NOOOO" as he dove for Chanyeol's lanky body.

Chanyeol righted himself just in time and Baekhyun went smack into the wall.

It took a lot of comforting and promises to get Baekhyun something from the gift shop to get Baekhyun to forgive Chanyeol for that one.

Chanyeol sighed as he caressed the lump on Baekhyun's head.

The next day, Baekhyun asked Chanyeol the same question,"Can you take me somewhere?"

Chanyeol would always reply with,"Where do you want to go?"

Whether it was the moon or the bottom of the sea, Chanyeol would always "take" Baekhyun there.

This pattern repeated itself the next day, and the next, and the next, until Baekhyun started coughing up blood.

Dr. Junmyeon gave him strict orders not to move around after that, along with some new medications.

Baekhyun stopped asking Chanyeol the question for a while.

After another night of tossing and turning, Baekhyun weakly turned around and faced Chanyeol.

As if he could sense him, Chanyeol walked over and touched Baekhyun's hair softly.

Baekhyun whispered,"Channie... Can you take me somewhere?"

Chanyeol nodded. "Do you still want me to take you somewhere?"

With his eyes sparkling in the darkness, Baekhyun replied,"Anywhere, as long as it's with you."

 

 

Dr. Junmyeon walked into room E12, Baekhyun's room.

The nurses had taken out all of his belongings yesterday.

He patted down Baekhyun's bed, smoothing down the covers and removing any wrinkles in his bed.

"Such a young boy, only 10 years old." He mused, looking over the room, making sure that nothing was left behind.

A flash of white had caught his attention.

It seemed to be some paper stuck on the life support machine.

Making his way over, Junmyeon gingerly touched the waxy piece of paper that was plastered to the from the machine.

Painstakingly written out in crayon, a 6 year old's messy writing covered the otherwise pristine label. 

"Chanyeol." Junmyeon read aloud. 

As he pulled it off and walked out of the now empty room, he could have sworn that he heard the sound of two boys laughing together.

But that couldn't have been possible, as there was only one person assigned to this room and he had just passed away.

 

The moonlight shone on Baekhyun's face as he winked at Chanyeol. "Are you going to save me, my knight?" he said jokingly, in a lighthearted  tone.

Chanyeol nodded seriously. "I am, Baekhyun. I'll make all the pain go away."