'Life'

[ONE SHOT?] Darkness

The light was bright. If i wasn't already, i'd go blind. An annoying beeping came from someone's phone beside me. The bus stop was obviously crowded. I felt breathing close to me. I moved as far on the bench as i could. I heard the bus pull up, I followed the sound of the crowd onto the bus. "Good morning, Son Dongwoon." The bus driver said as i walked past. She often did this daily. But i was fine with it. I took the first seat on the bus. I felt like I had a plaque or something. No body would dare to sit with me. And this is why public transporation . The doors opened when we stopped again. I heard laughing kids get on the bus, great. Another annoyance. Then, "Can i sit there?" a soft voice asked. "Sure." I moved into the window seat. I folded up my stick, and placed it in my lap. His voice seemed young, a high schooler? "Excuse me." someone said in the back. He hadn't said anything, and it was alright.

The restaurant didn't seem packed today, but of course i can't tell. "Your usual spot, sir?" Sir? Was I that old now? "Yes please." I sat in the back, with the dim lights. "May i take you order?" A familiar softness asked. The guy from the bus? "You were on the bus this morning." It was more of an observation then a question. "Yes i was." i ordered my ususal. When he delivered it i asked, "Does it look good to you?" I often asked if the food was decent looking, not that it mattered to the taste. "Yes sir." he sat down with me. Probably on break or at the end of his shift. "Do you need something?" i asked curiously. "No sir. I was just wondering, well, how did it happen?" Was he refering to my blindeness? "A simple birth defect. Not an accident or sickness." i smiled that he was so curious. "Do your eyes hurt?" what was with this kid? "Often they do. But nothing unmanagable." he was silent. "SOrry, i am studying blindness in my class." so i was a subject for him? "It's alright i guess. Not to intrude," i stood and put my stick out in front of me, not to hit anything. "But are you going back on the bus? Would you help me?" I hated doing this but my head was spinning and it started to hurt behind my shades. "Sure. Let me go clock out." then he was back, he put his hands on my arm.

The bus was quiet, because it was so dark already out. I could tell because i could see the faint glow of the street lights. I was blind, but my eyes still picked up on shifting lights. "Where do you live?" he asked. i hadn't even known his name. "The Porhie Apartments." was he going to help me? "Do you wanna come in?" i asked while fumbling with my keys and finally got the door opened. "Sure." and for the first time i had company. "Tea?" I asked from the kitchen. "Yes please." He was so polite for being so young.

So his name was Yoseob? Such a peculiar kid he was. I was walking to the bus stop with him. He came by every morning to help me. So he couldn't be in school or anthing. I felt my walking stick hit hie leg. "I am so sorry." but the sund was metallic, not like bone. "It's alright. I can't feel them anyways. What? "What happened?" I asked as we sat on the benches. "A birth deftect is all. I have to wear leg braces to walk. So i know how you feel sometimes." was he smiling? so we had common ground. As Long as he kept coming over, i got happier.I had found happiness and familiarity with the crippled young man. And for the first time in a while, I wasn't all alone anymore.