The Angel of Death and the Scientist

City of Shadows

Seoul, 2022.

He waited in the shadows, watching the fire escape.  Any minute now, she would see his team coming and make her move.  Like a dog flushing game, his team was taking the obvious approach, from the front, in order to drive her out the back, where he was waiting.  He checked his watch.  12:05.  They should've been there by now.  

There was almost no warning of her approach.  Just a weird feeling on the back of his neck then the sound of a body landing right behind him.  Before he could turn he felt the cold steel of a knife against his throat.  Slim arms that housed a deceptive strength immobilized his head and neck.  The smell of sweet perfume wafted past his nose.  The arms tightened, constricting his breath and he felt the knife dig deeper into his skin.  "Who told you where to find me?" a menacing yet feminine voice sounded against his ear.  

He didn't say a word.  She tightened her grip and traced the tip of her knife around his ear, down his cheek, back to his throat.  "I'll ask you one more time..." she paused, startled by the knife at .  I've been set-up.

Knowing she was beat, she raised her hands, letting the man go.  She dropped the knife on the ground and turned slowly to face the newcomer.  Staring up at his face, she shuddered.  He was a monster.  

The first man picked himself off the ground and dusted off his jacket.  "Don't mind Jong Kook" he said in a friendly tone.  "He doesn't bite."  She stared up at the monster, still holding a knife threateningly but she could read his body language well enough to know that he wasn't planning on using it.  Still, his intimidating size and appearance unnerved her.  

The first man approached with an outstretched hand.  "My name is Yoo Jae Suk.  If you have time, I'd like to make you a business proposal."  She stared at him.  His face was friendly but she could see underneath the outlines of his coat that his body was strong and wiry.  There's more to him than meets the eye.  Plus, it doesn't really seem like I have a choice.  This monster is like an enforcer or something.  She flashed a wicked smile.  "I'm listening."

At an abandoned subway station, they met up with two other men.  She recognized them.  They were the ones who had come to the front.  She nodded at them.  The handsome one flashed her a 1000 watt smile.  The plain one looked down at the ground.  These two aren't pros.  They are just minions.  The two behind me are the real brains in this operation.  The walked downstairs into the station, stepping over the caution tape and ignoring "closed" signs.  After the war, Seoul was under a strict curfew.  The subway was closed and people stayed in for the most part.  It was a dangerous place at night.  Nobody wanted to be caught by a North Korean patrol.  That these guys were walking out in the open meant they either had serious balls or serious skills.  Based on their first encounter, she was betting on the latter.  

A car waited on the tracks.  The handsome man stepped forward and held the door open for her.  She gave him a flirty smile and received one in return.  The other men piled in the car except for the monster they called Jong Kook.  She watched as he closed the doors then jumped on the roof.  "Is he going to be okay up there?" she asked.  Nobody answered.

They drove down various subway tunnels, taking twists and turns and doubling back several times.  Eventually, she lost track of all the various turns.  Guess they want to keep their hideout a secret.  Don't blame them.  Finally, they arrived in front of a dead end.  A minute passed and nothing happened.  Then, right when she was about to ask what the hell was going on, the wall began to move.  Behind the wall was a vast cavern, dotted with occasional spotlights.  They drove in and the wall closed behind them, plunging the cavern into almost complete darkness.  

The car eased up as she felt Jong Kook leap off the roof.  The doors opened and a hand reached in to help her out.  It was the handsome guy again.  Taking his hand, she stepped out onto the concrete floor.  The sound of her footsteps echoed down the corridor.  Jae Suk stepped in front of her.  "This way, Miss Song" he said, gesturing with his hands which way to go.  They walked to edge of the cavern where there was a door in the wall.  Opening it, she saw a lit room with computers and electronic devices, worth thousands, even millions of dollars.  A giant table took up the center of the room.  Jae Suk walked over and pulled out a chair.  "Please, sit" he said, giving her the chair.  The other man in the room looked up from the computer he was working at.  Jae Suk nodded at him and he quickly left.  

Taking the seat across from her, he pulled out a file on the neighboring chair.  "Song Ji Hyo, born Cheon Seung Im, known as "The Angel of Death".  Born August 15th, 1995 in Daegu.  Graduated with honors from Korea University.  Enlisted in the army during the war.  Was selected to join the "Midnight" program.  Received extensive training in hand to hand combat.  10th degree black belt in Judo and Taekwondo.  Special training with knives.  Left the "Midnight" program for reasons classified.  It's not in this file but I suspect it was to assassinate the late Kim Tae Min."   how did he know about that?  Designated for assignment throughout the war" he continued and covertly discharged 6 months ago when peace talks concluded."  He dropped the file folder.  "Am I missing anything?" he asked.  

Ji Hyo gritted her teeth but said nothing.  That information was supposed to be classified or destroyed.  He must know some very powerful people if he knows all that.  "You said you had a business proposal?" she said, staring at him.  

"Yes, well, lets not beat around the bush Miss Song" he said, starting to pace back and forth.  "We both know that you are an assassin.  The best this country has ever produced.  You killed 23 people in the last year, all staged to look like accidents.  When the war ended, you joined a resistance group and kept attacking important North Koreans.  They cracked down and you've been on the run since."  He leaned forward.  "I need your skills.  I have nothing to offer, other than the thanks of your nation but I assure you, it is incredibly important that you join us."  

His eyes looked sincere.  But he's a professional.  He could be playing with you.  He's been trained.  Don't trust him.  But her instincts said he was telling the truth.  "Let me hear what you have to say" she said.  Instead of answering, he tossed her another file.  She looked at him questioningly, and his eyes told her to open it.  

20 minutes later, she'd finished reading everything.  "So" she said, taking a moment to let it all sink in.  "You need to find the bomb?"  "If it exists, yes" Jae Suk answered.  "You see why this is so important, Miss Song.  That weapon, if it exists changes everything."  "Who's backing this project?" she asked, looking around at all the sophisticated tech around the room.  "What's left of the NIS (National Intelligence Service)" Jae Suk answered.  "We're pretty much cut off at this point though.  We're on our own from this point on."  "How many team members?" she asked.  "You've met most of them" he answered.  There are a few more of us but right now what you see is pretty much what we have."  "And you're all NIS?" she asked.  "No" said Jae Suk flashing her a smile.  "In fact, none of us are active NIS.  You see, the North Koreans pretty much executed anyone they could find who was NIS.  We're all just normal people, recruited for this one job."  Ji Hyo snorted.  "Yah, and I'm the long lost daughter of Yi Soon Shin" she said sarcastically.  "Granted, we all have certain skills" said Jae Suk, "but we were all normal people.  Most of us were retired, but we're all that's left."  Ji Hyo looked at the guys standing around outside and was immediately drawn to the monster, Jong Kook.  "What happened to him?" she asked, unable to hold back the question.  Jae Suk looked at Jong Kook sadly.  "He was caught in Busan."  Ji Hyo immediately understood his sadness.  Seoul had been lost so early in the war that it had been spared being nuked but Busan had not been.  The North Korean had dropped an atom bomb, reducing the city to a radioactive dump.  "He was burned badly, 70% of his body.  He should be dead.  But somehow he survived.  The radiation made him stronger.  Bigger.  Superhuman even.  He's mutated into something that is not human but humanoid.  I don't know how much of him is left inside but you wont find anyone like him."  You can say that again.  

Introductions were made.  The handsome man was Song Joong Ki.  The plain looking guy was demolitions expert, Kang Gary.  The short, nerdy looking man was Ha Dong Hoon, technology wizard.  "There's one more guy who's not here" Jae Suk explained, "Lee Gwang Soo.  Anyways, welcome to the team.  Joong Ki will show you around and answer any questions.  I'll brief you more fully tomorrow."  With that, Jae Suk walked out into the cavern and in moments disappeared into the blackness.  

Ji Hyo walked with Joong Ki around the cavern.  There were equipment boxes scattered everywhere.  Bits and pieces of things were strewn out on the floor.  The only light came from the couple of spot lamps that illuminated different areas.  She walked past what looked like a fort of boxes.  Looking in one, she found a variety of explosives.  "This is Gary hyung's workstation" explained Joong Ki.  "That room over there" he gestured towards the room Ji Hyo had seen with all the computers, "is where Haha hyung works."  "And where do you work?" Ji Hyo asked, modulating her voice to sound a little sultry and seductive.  She caught Gary looking up from his work station at her and winked at him before returning her attention to Joong Ki, who seemed a little flustered by the question.  "I...I don't have a work station really..." he said, searching for the right way to explain it.  "I'm mostly an information gatherer.  I go out a lot and watch people, figure out what's going on, that sort of thing."  They walked to a secluded corner.  There was a bed, walled off from the rest of the cavern by ammunition boxes.  "This is your bed Miss Song" he said, gesturing at the mattress on the ground.  She smiled up at him.  He was really handsome.  And so very young.  "You can call me Ji Hyo noona" she said, causing a slight red to tint his cheeks.  "Yes noona" he said awkwardly.  "If you need anything, just holler" he said as he walked out backwards.  His foot caught the corner of a stray box and he nearly fell but caught himself.  Flustered, he turned and nearly ran away.  Ji Hyo watched his rapidly retreating back with some amusement before deciding to explore more.  

Walking around, she came to another corner where Jong Kook was cleaning weapons.  She watched him from the shadows, finally seeing him in the light.  The light revealed his scarred body.  Burns covered his skin and she could see disfiguration in his body.  His left shoulder was popped out at an impossible angle, yet somehow he still had full use of that arm.  Part of his face had melted away and she could see the outline of his teeth through a very sheer layer of skin--all that was left to cover that side of his mouth.  He almost resembled the Incredible Hulk, mid transformation.  Though she was in the shadows and had approached silently, he seemed to sense that she was there.  He turned and looked right at her, though she was hidden in the darkness.  Their eyes locked and she was sure that somehow he could see her.  Then he turned back around and started wiping the rifle he was holding.  His back was hunched over and she could discern a bit of a hump.  Ji Hyo felt sorry for him, seeing just how badly he'd been scarred and what he'd become.  

Collecting herself, she walked over until she was standing right next to him.  Even sitting down, he was taller than her.  She stood there in silence, watching him clean.  When he was finished wiping down the rifle he was holding, he put it down and walked away.  "Don't take it personally" said Joong Ki, who had witnessed the whole thing.  "He can't talk anymore.  The radiation fried his vocal cords."  Ji Hyo nodded, feeling more sorry for Jong Kook.  Where does he get the strength in the mornings to wake up everyday and live like this. Slowly, she was beginning to lose her fear of him and to feel pity and admiration.  Despite all he's been through, he's still here, fighting to make a difference.  

Late that night, a slight rustle woke Ji Hyo.  Her life as a top shelf assassin had made her very sensitive to sounds and though it was just a tiny scratch, it set her on high alert.  She lay prone on the mattress, ears straining to hear any other possible warning.  Her eyes searched the dark, trying to find enough light to see anything.  There were no more noises but Ji Hyo wasn't going to leave it at that.  Silently, she slipped off the mattress and crept out into the main cavern.

It was dark.  She could hear the deep breathing of several guys sleeping.  A truck drove overhead and she could sense the slight vibrations in the tunnel as it passed overhead.  It's past curfew.  Must be a North Korean patrol.  Down at the end of the tunnel, she could just barely make out a shadowy figure, hunched over.  She approached cautiously.  It was Jae Suk.  He seemed to sense her and turned to face her as she got close.  His eyes were puffy.  Ji Hyo caught a slight movement of his hand as he tucked something into a pocket.  

"Are you alright, Miss Song?" he asked, wiping his eyes.  "Fine" she replied, sensing there was something deep troubling him.  "I just couldn't sleep."  

"Ah, alright then" he said.  He sat there, silent and for a while they just remained there, in the dark, saying nothing.  After a few minutes, Ji Hyo sat down next to him. "What's the picture of?" she asked.  

Jae Suk was silently impressed.  She had caught him.  It was an indictment of her skill and powers of observation.  He had picked well. He pulled out the picture from his pocket and showed it to her.  There was a woman and boy in the picture.  "My wife and son" he explained, taking the picture back when she had taken a good look.  "They died in 2020, during the war."  "I'm so sorry" murmured Ji Hyo.  There was silence for a moment before Jae Suk finally spoke.  "When it was all going on, I didn't think it mattered.  I thought, 'war is terrible and all that but it doesn't really affect me' and then a mortar landed next to my house and my life went to hell.  And for so long I was helpless.  I was angry.  I lost everything that was important to me and had no way to get it back.  And then I met Jong Kook.  We served in the army together, back in the day.  And I saw him, burned, disfigured, barely human and barely even alive but still fighting for tomorrow and I realized that I can't help myself.  My wife and son are gone. They're not coming back.  But for people like Jong Kook, I can fight.  I can fight so someone else never knows the pain that I went through.  It's just a reminder of what I lost and what I'm fighting to protect."  With that, he stood up and looked down the empty tunnel.  "I don't know what you're fighting for, Miss Song, but I'm glad to have you fighting with me."  he said, before walking back into the cavern.  

Ji Hyo didn't know if it was day or night. Being underground, it was hard to keep track of the time.  The abandoned subway station was a great hideout.  It was under construction when the war started and so wasn't on any official maps.  Their was no direct access to the surface yet, to get out they had to drive back along the subway tracks to another station, so the risk of detection was minimal.  It also meant that there was nowhere for Ji Hyo to go to have a moment to herself.  Bored out of her mind, she decided to re-read the file on the bio-bomb they were hoping to recover.

Prior to the war, South Korean scientists had been working on new weapons technology.  They were making real progress with one weapon in particular, the bio-bomb.  It was a bomb but very different from conventional bombs.  There were no explosives.  The bomb created no shockwave or impact damage.  The bomb was designed to kill any living thing but spare damage to structures and the like.  It worked by generating a powerful electromagnetic pulse that interfered with the natural electric fields generated by the human nervous system.  Anybody in range of the bomb would be paralyzed.  Subsequently, unable to breathe, they would asphyxiate and die.  

A prototype had been built but the war started before it could be tested.  South Korean scientists destroyed the prototype and burned the facility where the research was done to keep the technology from falling into North Korean hands.  But there wasn't enough time to get everything.  Some notes, some key researchers and some critical parts were unaccounted for.  They were likely captured by the North Koreans.  What is it they expect me to do?  

It wasn't long before she found out.  Jae Suk called for a meeting.  Everyone showed up, including a very tall man Ji Hyo didn't recognize. Jae Suk projected a picture on the wall.  It was a middle aged man.  He wore glasses and in the picture had a lab coat on.  "This is Ji Suk Jin" said Jae Suk.  "He was the chief researcher on the bio-bomb project.  During the war, he stayed till the very last possible moment before being evacuated with thousands of records and documents.  The convoy he was in was hit by a North Korean air strike. He's was presumed dead.  We have reason to believe that is a mistake.  This picture," he paused until the correct picture appeared on screen, "was taken 3 weeks ago.  This picture," he flashed another picture on the screen, "was taken 3 days ago."  

Ji Hyo studied the pictures carefully.  The quality wasn't great and they were taken from a distance but she could see the distinctive oval face and large nose.  It looked like the same guy.

Jae Suk continued.  "When we got the first picture, we sent Gwang Soo to investigate."  Jae Suk gestured at the tall man who Ji Hyo didn't know.  I guess he's Gwang Soo.  "He took the picture three days ago in Suwon.  We suspect he avoided capture and has been hiding ever since.  We need to find him and his records.  We'll destroy them if we have to.  That's our objective.  Miss Song, you'll lead the team to make contact.  We want him alive if at all possible but he's too valuable to let the North capture him.  Take Gwang Soo and Haha with you.  The rest of us will stay here.  It's too dangerous out there for all of us to be out and about.  The North Koreans are stepping up patrols in preparation for Kim Il Sung's birthday.  Stay safe and good luck."  With that, the meeting was over.

Ji Hyo's fingers found the knife hidden in her belt.  When she was nervous, the cool touch of the lethal steel reassured her.  Her hands naturally sought the comforting blade, as if preparing for the worst.   

There was a lot to worry about.  It had taken them nearly a whole day to reach Suwon.  None of them had the proper papers to leave Seoul so they had to detour around North Korean checkpoints.  They also had to take care to avoid random patrols as well as be wary of potential undercover agents.  Now that they were in Suwon, they needed a place to stay.  They would have to watch for Ji Suk Jin even after curfew.  Somehow, they needed to get close to ascertain if he was working for the North or just hiding.  Worst of all, she had no idea who her partners were.  She was used to working alone.  Now, she had to worry about two other people she had just met.  As far as ideal situations went, this was a total disaster.  But that was what she had to work with.  So she steadied her hands by the knife in her belt as she hid in the shadows, watching the apartment across the street.    

Inside, Gwang Soo and Haha were frantically checking the mailboxes.  They were guessing this was where Ji Suk Jin was staying but they needed proof.  Rather than watch every unit in the building, they decided to look through the mail to find clues.  If Suk Jin was hiding, there should be no personalized mail.  Just coupons and the like.  It was too much to hope that he would sign the mailbox under his own name but fugitives had done stupider things.  In any case, they were looking for anything that might give them a lead. 

Ji Hyo heard the sound of tires before she saw the telltale flashing lights.  "Patrol coming" she whispered into the two way radio.  "Hide yourselves."  

Haha and Gwang Soo wasted no time, moving out of the lobby and into the stairwell, where there were no windows.  Even though they were inside, it was best not to test their luck with the North Korean patrols.  Especially if Ji Suk Jin was working for the North.  

Ji Hyo relaxed slightly as she saw them vanish from the lobby.  At least they listen to directions well. Honestly, she had not been expecting much from the duo but it was good to see they weren't total morons.  They weren't experts but they were competent enough.  I can work with this.  

Her optimism vanished as the patrol car stopped in front of the apartment.  Several North Korean soldiers got out and milled around the street.  Their eyes scanned the neighborhood and several glanced in her direction.  She didn't move.  From where they were standing, it would be near impossible to see her.  She was deep in the shadows and completely still.  With no movement to break up her outline, she blended into the shadows.  The trick was not to panic.  Trust your training.  

While she was sure about her position, she was not sure about Haha and Gwang Soo.  When the soldiers turned away from her, she crept further back into the alley, turning down the volume on her radio.  When she was sure she would not be detected, she keyed the radio.  "Patrol is stopped outside the building, moving to backup location.  Stay covered."  There was a moment of silence before Haha's voice came back over the radio.  "Understood.  We're hiding now."  

Breathing a sigh of relief, Ji Hyo clipped the radio back to her belt and crept back towards the street.  Her backup location was on the roof of a neighboring building but her curiosity got the better of her.  She wanted to spy on the patrol a bit.  

She peeked around the corner.  Three jeeps were stopped, idling in the street.  12 soldiers stood outside, weapons down but still menacing nevertheless.  Three drivers remained inside, one in each vehicle respectively.  One soldier, who looked to be the commander, was off to the side, hands around his head, as if pressing something to his ear.  He hunched over slightly and held his position for a few minutes before turning to address the rest of the soldiers. 

"Move out."  The soldiers immediately lined up outside the door.  They formed two curved lines, like a child's drawing of a bird in the sky.  Ji Hyo keyed her radio.  "Get out of there, NOW!" she whispered loudly.  Her heart started racing and she felt her mind start to whir with panic.  Focus.  Think of what you need to do.  They are going into the building.  We can't be caught.  Look around.  See if there's anything you can use to your advantage.  

Inside, Haha and Gwang Soo were starting to panic.  They were trapped in a building and outside there were a dozen soldiers with weapons.  "Roof" Haha said, sprinting up the stairs.  Gwang Soo followed right behind.  

Ji Hyo was sprinting across a rooftop when the explosion happened.  The blast knocked her down.  As she got up, she saw the middle section of the building engulfed in flames.  Debris fell onto the road.  Most of the North Korean soldiers were lying on the ground.  Some were struggling to get up.  Broken glass littered the street.    Oh

Haha and Gwang Soo were in the stairwell when the blast went off.  The shock knocked both down. Immediately, smoke alarms went off and the building's emergency sprinklers .  Gwang Soo struggled to get back on his feet but Haha was knocked out cold.  His head was lying on a step.  Blood trickled from a cut on the side of his head.  

Looking up and down the stairs, Gwang Soo considered his options.  There were not any good ones.  Emergency responders would be coming soon.  After that, police would be questioning everyone around.  Standard operating procedures would dictate that nobody got in our out until they were questioned.  They needed to be out of there by then.  Looking at Haha, he made up his mind.  

Ji Hyo didn't know what to do.  Then she heard a voice on the radio.  "We're coming out the front.  Meet up at R point."  It was Gwang Soo.  They were okay.  She felt like a giant weight had been lifted off her chest.  

The North Korean soldiers on the ground were starting to regroup.  People came pouring out of the surrounding buildings to look at the fire.  In the distance, sirens from approaching fire trucks and police cars could be heard.  Ji Hyo watched closely, waiting for Gwang Soo and Haha to emerge.  It was a gutsy ploy, to come out into all those soldiers but they would be disguised by the crowd.  Once outside, they could vanish.  Hiding in plain sight.  

A shadow caught her eye.  It was just a flutter, but she knew to trust her instincts.  When she looked  back, it was gone but Ji Hyo was sure she'd seen something.  Leaving the street, she walked to get a better view of where she'd sworn she'd seen movement.  

There, suddenly, she saw him.  A man, crouched in the shadows, waiting for a pair of soldiers to pass.  As soon as they passed, he sprang up and ran down the street to the next alley.  This was suspicious.  Curiosity piqued, Ji Hyo followed, careful to watch both him and for anyone potentially watching her.  

Gwang Soo and Haha finally made it out of the building.  But Ji Hyo was nowhere to be found.  As Gwang Soo stumbled around, supporting Haha, he saw a fire truck racing down the street.  Police were already putting up barriers to keep outsiders out.  A few more people came running out from inside the building.  It would be better if there were more.  Struggling, he slowly made his way down the street when his luck turned. 

"Stop" called a voice behind him.  Oh .  Not good.  Be cool.  A policeman walked up from behind.  "Are you okay?"  he turned his attention to the still unconscious Haha.  "Is he alright?"

"We're okay officer" Gwang Soo stuttered.  "He just hit his head, we were walking down the stair when there was an explosion.  He fell.  I just tried to get him out of there as quickly as possible."  As he spoke, Gwang Soo studied the street.  More and more police and fireman were arriving but they were rushing towards the building.  There were a few nearby who were busy with other people.  If he gives me trouble, I can take him and run for it.  

The officer nodded.  "Can I see your ID?" he asked.  "I'll call you an ambulance."  He reached for his radio but before he could do anything, Gwang Soo grabbed his arm. "No no, were fine.  We don't need an ambulance."  He felt Haha stir next to him.  He's coming back.  "We'll just walk around and get some air, he'll be fine."  "Sir, head injuries can be serious..." the officer began but was cut off by Haha rushing headfirst into his midsection.  They toppled to the ground and Gwang Soo quickly pulled a knife hidden in his pants and stabbed the officer in the neck, severing his airway.  The fight was over in an instant.  The officer lay on the ground, dying, unable to breathe or speak.  Taking a quick look around to make sure nobody had seen anything, Gwang Soo helped Haha up and they quickly began to walk away.  

Ji Hyo, meanwhile, was stalking the mysterious man.  He kept to the shadows and moved deliberately, making sure not to attract attention.  If she wasn't trained, she would have had a hard time keeping up.  Though his head kept swiveling around, looking for tails, she was sure he hadn't seen her.  He doesn't look up.  Amateur mistake.  Always pay attention to 3 dimensional space when looking for a tail.  

Her radio buzzed.  !  She grabbed it frantically to silence it but it was too late.  Though a normal person would probably dismiss the sound as white noise, in this situation, she knew that he would assume the worst.  She saw his head turn towards her, searching for the source of the sound.  Ji Hyo crouched perfectly still, hoping that he wouldn't see.  He stared for several long seconds then turned and ran.  

"" she cursed as she sprang up and ran after him.  She jumped off the edge of the roof she was on and grabbed the drain on the neighboring building.  She slid down it like a fire pole and continued her chase.  Luckily, the streets were empty.  Every patrol in the area was at the fire.  No longer caring about stealth, she ran hard, in the open, trying to make up ground.  

He wasn't very fast.  As she gained on him, he became more desperate, knocking over trash bins trying to obstruct her.  It only slowed him down more, which was fine with Ji Hyo.  He turned down an alley and Ji Hyo knew this was the end.  Perfect, an alley where nobody will see.

She ran after him and dodged his punch.  She'd expected him to try something like that.  Runners always tried to get a sneak attack in when they were cornered.  Backing up, she put up her hands in a classic defensive stance, waiting for his next move.  He advanced and swung hard at her head, trying to get past her.  But Ji Hyo moved into his punch, deflecting the blow with her left arm.  Inside his reach, she struck him with a quick strike to the chest to knock him off balance.  The momentum from his punch carried his arm forward while his core was rocked back by her punch.  He stumbled backwards, arms flailing, trying to balance.  Ji Hyo dismissed the slight soreness in her arm where his punch had glanced and readied herself for his next attack.  

He took a moment to gather himself.  While Ji Hyo was calm, he was breathing hard.  Clearly, he wasn't a warrior.  But he was desperate.  And that made him dangerous.  He charged at her, trying to catch her unprepared but again, Ji Hyo was ready for him.  She waited till he lowered his head and then spun, temporarily exposing herself by turning her back to him.  He was committed, however, and Ji Hyo spun out of his attempted tackle, again, taking just a glancing blow to her hip.  Now, he was bent over, facing away from her while she stood over his exposed hunched back.  She sent a swift elbow towards the small of his back but changed it to more of a karate chop as she realized that his speed was such that an elbow would not connect.  The blow was not as hard as she'd intended due to the improvisation but it was enough to knock him to the ground.  

Ji Hyo pinned him to the ground, using her body weight to keep him down.  She used her legs to immobilize his arms, leaving him totally helpless.  In three minutes, his arms will be dead.  She slugged him hard in the back of the head.  His body went limp as he fell unconscious.  But why wait when I can do this instead.  She flipped him over in order to see his face.  The giant nose was evident.  "Well well well.  Ji Suk Jin" she said to herself, happy at this development.