Chapter 12

I'm With You

He opened the door for me awkwardly, stranding in front of where I was supposed to enter, and when he realized it, he moved and let me in, proceeding to shut the door after me. I couldn’t help but giggle as I watched him beat himself internally as he dropped his keys. Finally he started the car and played some music, but the silence between us still remained. Donghae’s phone notified him saying he had a message, and he checked it at a red light, rolled his eyes.

“Everything alright?” he cleared his throat

“y-yeah” i giggled as it came out as a squeak, and he blushed even more.

“the light’s green” I was trying to change the subject, he seemed slightly peeved. I instantly regretted what I said, thinking maybe it made him more annoyed.

Bing!

Message from Tiffany~~

‘how’s your little date with Donghae ^^’

 

I replied back to her, telling her it wasn’t a date since we were ditched, and I had no way of getting home from the mall, adding that we were stopping for bubble tea. We continued to bicker, her trying to get me to hook up with Donghae and me denying that I liked him like that.

Bing!

Message from K-K-K-Key

‘STOP IT. YOU LIKE HIM. No one has made you smile like this in a long time. Come on Jae… Stop denying it’ ---> Open Picture Attachment

 

It was a stolen shot at the restaurant earlier this evening. I was laughing and smiling in the picture, my head thrown back and Donghae smiling and leaning in. We had the weirdest conversations and he told me his theory about aliens once again, leading me to burst out in laughter. I blushed and shut my phone right away, and looked out the window, hoping Donghae didn’t see the picture or my crimson face.

“You hot? Your ears are red” he chuckled as my hands shot up to my ears.

“Sorry… I-I’m fine…” it was barely a whisper, hardly convincing at all. We arrived to the bubble tea parlour, and while I was getting out of the car, I tripped over my own feet and ended up on the concrete. Donghae came rushing towards me, looking very worried. “I’m fine!” my face was soo red! What was even worse was that I didn’t see the ‘Pull’ sign on the door, so I ran into the glass door. Donghae burst out in laughter and I did too laughing at my own stupidity.

“What would you like? My treat” We were staring at the drinks menu on the board.

“It’s fine Hae, I’ve got this” oops, the nickname I made up for him popped out. “Sorry!”

“Hae?” he noticed. “I insist. I’ll pay, you grab a table”

“You pick for me then” I said it very rushed and left to go find a table. I was for sure blushing and didn’t want him to see. My consciences inside my head were bickering back and forth about my carelessness in announcing the nickname I made for him. In my panic I texted Key, frantically begging for advice in case he were to bring it up, he didn’t text back right away, but when he did I sighed in annoyance.

Bing!

Message from K-K-K-Key

‘Texted Eunhyukkie, he said Donghae is the type to not let things slip past him and isn’t afraid to ask about it. Get ready. That was from Eunhyuk not me. This is what I have to say.

 

Don’t. Mess. This. Up.

 

Be cool, no sweat. Just say the truth’

 

I shook my head at the text and closed it frustratingly. They had this all planned! Leeteuk was most likely in it seeing as everyone was talking with each other before I got out of the fitting room. Plus, how could Key expect me not to mess this up when I’ve never done whatever this is?! How could I be honest? ‘Hi Donghae, I’m totally in denial about liking you so much that I cuddled into my sheets that smelled like you and made up a nickname about you. Oh by the way did I tell you that I don’t like you?’ It made me sound like a crazy person, might as well label me ‘JESSICA’.

“You alright? You seem like something’s bugging you” Donghae stood at the head of the table with two bubble teas in his hand.

“Y-yeah Key’s just bugging me” I took the bubble tea he offered me.

“Yeah Eunhyuk and Leeteuk have been bugging me” he rolled his eyes and sat down. “So where did ‘Hae’ come from?” a playful smile graced his lips. Oh great.

“Just something I thought of” I blushed again.

“You blush a lot?” he asked, taking a sip of his bubble tea.

“You roll your eyes a lot?” good job Jae, that came out rude.

“Apparently, my mom notices it all the time. Gets me in sticky situations quite often” he looked down. Great now you’ve offended him Jae.

“Sorry, that came out really rude. I didn’t meant to say it like that” I looked down at my drink, hoping he’d take my apology.

“I wasn’t offended, I just thought I annoyed you. You shouldn’t apologize”

“Sorry” I slapped my hand over my mouth, hating myself right now.

“It’s fine” he pulled my hand from my mouth. We stared at each other, not noticing his hand was over mine. My phone ruined the moment.

Bing!

Message from K-K-K-Key

‘Have you embarrassed yourself to the point of no return???’

 

I growled at my phone and tossed it back in my bag, crossing my arms and pouting.

“Key?” He was smiling at me.

“How’d you know?” my eyebrow popped up at that remark.

“He’s the only one that can get you riled up” he leaned back in his chair. “You have another message”

“It’s a blue light blinking; it’s only a notification from my blog” I took another sip.

“you blog? Me too!” a childlike face popped up on his face.

“What’s your username?” I was happy I met another blogger.

“I’ll text it to you, so you won’t forget” I nodded my head and heard another text message notification. Strange, Hae wasn’t even done sending it.

“I’m sorry Hae, could you give me a lift home?” It was a text from my dad, asking me to check up on my mom because she wasn’t answering her phone.

“What’s wrong?” he could tell I was worried, as he looked up from his phone.

“My mom isn’t answering her phone, my dad’s worried” with that Donghae and I left, and he drove me straight to my house. He broke the speed limit, I appreciated this, but it also worried me that we’d get into an accident and he’d hurt himself. I rushed up to the door as soon as the car stopped and Donghae followed after me. Fumbling a bit with my keys, I cursed at myself, and finally opened the door.

“Mom?” the house was dark, that wasn’t common. My mom kept on a lamp knowing I’d get home late. “Mom?” I yelled louder and headed for the stairs.

“Mrs. Jung?” Donghae was following me up the stairs. We both checked her room, turning on lights as we went about.

“Mom?” I called out for her in the living room as Donghae check the basement. Still no reply, so I headed into the kitchen flicking the light on. My mom was unconscious on the floor. “Mom!” Donghae heard my frantic call as I heard him rush up the stairs. I shook my mom, and tried to get her conscious as Donghae called 119.