When Kai met Kyungsoo

Only For You

Kyungsoo is just about to start singing when Jongin comes in.

‘Umm, sorry, if …. I’ll just go.’ Jongin runs out of the classroom.

Kyungsoo turns his back and goes back to practising. Of course meeting the child prodigy Kyungsoo would make anyone nervous.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo is surprised when the next day, Jongin comes back. His hand is scratching his head embarrassedly  and he backs away a bit when Kyungsoo sends him a scathing glare.

 

‘Hello?’ Jongin extends his hand nervously.

Kyungsoo curses in his head again for the unnecisary interuptal of his practice.

Kyungsoo courteously takes Jongin’s hand, surprised at how warm and moist it is. It seems Jongin was very nervous today.

 

‘My name’s Jongin’

He waits a bit.

‘Why aren’t you speaking?’

Kyungsoo jumps a bit in surprise. Who hasn’t heard of him? He has to save his voice for only singing practice otherwise it gets worn out for no good reason. He drinks honey and camomile tea every day to soothe his throat. He hardly ever eats anything with salt in because it dries up the water and makes the body unhealthier. Not only is the throat involved in singing, it is the stomach and the lungs.

Kyungsoo shakes his head at the injustice. Taking some time to analyse the boy in front of him instead of awnsering any questions, Kyungsoo takes in the tanned skin and the handsome features (even goes so far as the toned calf muscles).

Meanwhile, Jongin rather uncomfortably shuffles around. Eventually, Kyungsoo opens Jongin’s rucksack and takes out what he expected to find there, some paper and a pen.

 

I don’t use my voice apart from singing.

 

He looks at Jongin expectantly

 

Why? If you can sing you can speak.

 

He glares at Jongin who is surprisingly ignorant of it.

 

I can hear you, you don’t need to write. Idiot.

 

‘Umm, my bad.’ Jongin says and then sits on a seat ‘You can start singing if you want…’

 

Kyungsoo nearly snorts in derision. If he wants. He’ll do what he pleases. Kyungsoo walks out of the room with his head held high.

 

Jongin sits there wondering what he did wrong.

 

The next day Kyungsoo comes to the classroom early to start singing and show Jongin how inferior he is before Jongin completely unnerves him. He happens to pass a classroom and he looks in. Jongin is dancing, the sweat drips down his neck but the music is quiet and delicate. He moves in rhythm with the music, but much to energetically and joltingly. It looks like a ritual, and it is magical to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo makes a strangled noise of awe and Jongin turns round and grins.

 

A red faced Kyungsoo takes that opportunity to run away.

 

He doesn’t go to the classroom to sing, he’s not sure if the burning red has gone away yet.

 

 

 

 

 

The next time Jongin sees Kyungsoo is at the annual performance where he finally hears Kyungsoo’s heavenly voice.

‘ Hey! Never knew your voice was that AWESOME. Anyways, why haven’t I seen you for a week?’

Kyungsoo opens his wide eyes in confusion (CUTE! Jongin thinks) and then gets out his phone and starts texting. He shows the phone to Jongin.

Needed to practice without distractions.

Jongin wiggles his eyebrows.

‘I’m a distraction then?’

Kyungsoo blushes furiously and shakes his head

No! Not what I meant. You are really good at dancing by the way.

Jongin grins stupidly.

‘Yeah, I practice a lot… but I don’t have talent like you, it’s just hard work.’

Kyungsoo texts frantically To move in the way you do is talent! I haven’t seen anything like it. In a good way.

 

Jongin gets called by one of his dancer friends and gives a smile as a goodbye.

‘Meet me at the classroom OK?’

 

 

When Kyungsoo meets Jongin, he takes Kyungsoo by the hand and says

‘We’re going to my house, it’s my sister’s birthday.’

Kyungsoo fumbles for a phone, but Jongin walks doubly fast and because Kyungsoo is shorter, while Jongin speed walks, Kyungsoo has to jog.

Jongin knocks on his door and his sister crushes them both in  a bear hug.

‘Hey! Jongin told me about your voice, don’t worry.’

Kyungsoo looks worried

‘Yep, I wanted to show you something.’

Jongin opens his bedroom door and Kyungsoo sees the obstacle course that is his room.

Oh one side is food/wrappers that could get crushed if stepped on, and on the other side is a pile of clothes as big as Kyungsoo himself. His floor is covered with an assortment of things including marbles, a safe and a bottle of oil. Jongin dances round the mess then forward tuck rolls under his table and at the foot of his chair. He takes the Coke bottle and the stack of DVDs off the chair and throws them to the side. He opens one drawer, rummages round, takes out a CD and then sneaks round the pile of clothes.

By the time Jongin has gotten back to the entrance, Kyungsoo starts to hear a heavenly female voice play. Jongin smiles.

‘For some reason you reminded me of her… she’s not very famous but-’

Kyungsoo cuts him off by pressing a finger to his lips as he listens to the music.

Then he types

I do know her… she was one of my former singing teachers.

‘Cool.’ Jongin says.

‘I like you.’ Kyungsoo says. SAYS. SAYS.

Jongin takes a while to realise that Kyungsoo has actually spoken.

 

Then he realises that his words were ‘I like you.’

‘Well that’s convienient. Because I like you too.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin’s sister giggles like a fangirl in front of his door.