At Caffe Bene

Taking Chances

You managed to save an ample amount of money to finally visit one of your dream destinations – South Korea.

In all honesty, the Land of the Morning Calm was not one of the places you first imagined you will be visiting once you have the capability to do so. Japan has always been in the top spot for you as you have always wanted to see the holy land of all things Hello Kitty and kawaii.

Unfortunately, Korean-made makeup has corrupted you and K-Pop has been taking up a big space in your heart (not to mention your music player!).

Since your mom is hooked on K-Dramas and your friend wants to go ahead and try the vast array of coffee establishments, they join you in your five day adventure. Amazingly, you realize that aside from “Annyeong Haseyo!” and “Kamsahamnida!”, you know not the language. Well, too late to back out now.

The first day you were in Korea you immediately went to check out Myeondong. You, together with your friend and mom, were so surprised at how much freebies the cosmetics shops give out just to lure out potential customers. Obviously, you felt guilty about just taking the freebies so you do end up checking out the shops and getting at least an item or two. Apparently, what they gave you when you have not even set foot in the shop yet was not enough. They still added a few more things to your shopping bag.

If only shopping in your home country was the same. But then again, most people take advantage of these types of situations and the companies would probably end up bankrupt in a matter of months.

On the second day you guys decided to visit the tourist spots. All of you immensely enjoyed the place where The First Shop of Coffee Prince was shot in. Your mom’s inner fangirl went wild.

Just 2 days of shopping and being the typical tourists, your mom decided to just relax in the hotel and let you guys do whatever you want.

You and your friend decided to use this time to just whatever. First on your agenda was to visit Caffe Bene and just talk about your daily lives.

Of course you opted to get the Coffee Bingsu and later on hoping to get a Blueberry latte. Your friend opted to get a White Mocha frappe.

Your friend decided to pour her heart out as she’s has been torn for quite a while now. Albeit, you do have an idea what she has been going thru, you did not bother to pry as you believe that she will tell you what is bothering her when she’s ready. And apparently, the Caffe Bene in Gangnam is the perfect place to address the elephant that’s been following her all this time.

Your friend tells you that she wants to feel ok about going out with someone new. She had been in a bad break up wherein her now ex-boyfriend cheated on her and did not bother to break things up with her properly and just let her hang by the moment.

She tells you that she’s scared to take the leap as she does not think she’s completely over her ex.

You let her vent out first and a few moments later you tell her your piece.

“You know, there’s nothing wrong with being afraid,” you tell her reassuringly. “It can take an hour, days, a year, or even never to get over something.

“You have invested a lot of feelings on your prior relationship and I truly understand why you are apprehensive. What I would like you to understand is that there is no point in holding on to something that is not worth it.

“You already did your part and he was stupid enough not to care. Now as for dating someone new; just because you are dating doesn’t mean that you should be in a relationship.”

“But..,” your friend cut in. “Wouldn’t it eventually be like that? We’re going to be in a relationship, I mean.”

“Not really,” you countered. “You’re at the stage of just getting to know each other. Dating doesn’t necessarily mean you have to end up with each other. That would be too assuming. All you have to do is make him understand that you are not ready to be in a relationship yet.

“Going out is fine with you, but commitment is another thing. I’m pretty sure he would understand that you cannot just make yourself feel something that is not there yet. I also think he’d be thankful that you weighed things out first instead of jumping the gun and ending up not really feeling what should be felt.

“You deserve to find happiness, Marie. It may not come tomorrow but it will surely come, someday.”

Your friend moves to sit beside you and rested her head on your shoulder when you felt her tears dropping from her eyes.

You gave her a one armed hug and cooed at her saying that everything is going to be ok and she will be fine.

After a while she stood up and told you she’s going to go to the restroom and freshen up.

While doing so you look at the menu and debated on what you want to get next when you felt the seat move a bit and someone sat next to you.

You didn’t notice who it was as you were busy thinking of what to get and just started talking.

“That was fast, Marie! Anyway, what do you plan on getting? Will you still be ordering anything or should we move to another place?”

“Uhhmm, I do hope you’re not planning on moving to a new place so soon,” an unfamiliar, deep voice spoke. Not a girl’s voice and definitely not your friend’s.

You were caught by surprise that your arm jolted and hit the stranger in the face.

You immediately turned to the unknown person and helped him up as he fell down when you hit him.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” you spewed out. “You caught me by surprise. I thought you were my friend.”

“No worries,” the stranger responded. “I’m the one who should apologize for just sitting beside you like that. I just couldn’t help myself after I heard what you said to your friend. That was very mature of you to think about her situation like that.”

You take a good look at the stranger and thought that he did sound familiar and he really looked familiar.

“Before I continue this conversation with you, I would really like to ask, do I know you?”

“Uhmm, I’m not sure. I guess you’ve seen me from somewhere?”

Really? Where?”

The stranger tipped his aviators down his nose and you suddenly realized why he looked like someone you knew.

“You’re Kris from Exo!” you whisper-yelled. “What are you doing here?”

“First of all, I am grateful that you didn’t go ballistic when you found out who I was.”

“You’re popular, but you’re still someone who s in a toilet,” you butted in. “So while I am internally fangirling, I think I owe you your privacy.”

He smirked and thanked you.

“So continuing on with this conversation, what makes you think that speak maturely? How old do you think I am?”

“Around the same age I am?” he guessed. “Like 21-23?”

You laughed out like a maniac because of his guess.

He looked at you like he’s very annoyed and asked, “What’s so funny?”

“While I am very much thankful that you think I am that age. I would like to apologize for breaking your bubble. I know for a fact that I am older than you are. In fact, I am telling you right now that I’m already 25 years old.”

He looked at you quite shocked and wondering.

Really? You don’t look 25!”

“I’m very much flattered by that but really, I’m 25. So I guess you take back the ‘you’re such a mature thinker’ first impression?”

“Not really,” he says. “That’s so cool. You remind me of Xiumin or Luhan. They both don’t look their age like you.”

“So other than that, what made you take the chance of blowing your cover and strike up a conversation with me?”

“Well, like I said, you sounded mature and I just felt like you are the type of person who would like to see the people you love happy all the time. It just drew me in to you.”

“Uh..” you stammered. “Thank you, I guess?”

You really couldn’t speak much since he has yet to wear his shades properly and he’s pretty much trying to have a staring battle with you.

“Err..”

He frowns and asked you what’s wrong.

“Nothing really,” you reassured him. “It’s just weird you know. Don’t think that I’m being too straightforward here, but you’re my ultimate Exo bias and well, sitting beside you and having a staring contest with you is not something that I imagined I would be doing when I got here for a vacation.”

“Wait, you’re only on vacation?” he asked. “Until when?”

“Well, this is our 3rd day here. So 2 more days and then we’re off.”

“Just two more days?” he asked quietly.

You were shocked to see him frown and suddenly turned quiet.

Your mind was so busy processing what’s happening in front of you that you didn’t notice that your friend is back until you heard a “harummpph” from her.

“Hi, Marie!”

“Hi. And who might this be?”

“Uhmmm…”

“Hi, I’m Kris!”

“Hey!”, you said out loud and then you hit his arm softly.

“What?” he asked in surprise.

“Don’t give out your cover just like that!” you whined. “Your fans might just pop out of the blue and me and Marie will very much appreciate it if we don’t die due to a swarm of fangirls!”

Both Marie and Kris laughed at your outburst.

He lowered his head and looked you in the eye then said, “I thought you were jealous that I was introducing myself to somebody else.”

He grinned evilly when he saw your whole face blush.

You decided to just hit him again since you ran out of things to say. You have landed a couple of hits when he decided it was enough and he caught your hand in his.

Marie’s phone rings and Kris let go of your hand abruptly.

You moved away from him, only realizing now that you’ve been sitting awfully close together.

“Hi auntie!” Marie greeted. “Yeah, we’re almost done and we’re about to head back.”

Marie ended the call and face you. “Hey, your mom’s looking for us and was hoping we can drop by somewhere and buy dinner.”

“Oh sure,” you acquiesced. “What did she want us to buy?”

“Anything is fine. What about some Mickey D’s?”

“Ohh. Sure! I’ve been craving for nuggets anyway.”

Marie came near you and whispered that she’ll let you have your moment to say goodbye. She knows how much you like Kris of Exo.

“Bye Kris!” Marie said. “It was nice meeting you.”

“It was nice meeting you too. Marie, right?”

“Yes that’s right. I’ll wait for you outside, _____.”

“So…” you both said at the same time.

Kris started rubbing his nape, not sure how to continue.

“Well it was nice meeting you,” you started. “Again, I never imagined seeing you here of all places but it was such an awesome experience.”

“Uhh, right.” He stammered. “Uhm… what are your plans tomorrow?”

You were caught by surprise again by his actions. You never thought about things going this direction.

“I don’t think we have anything to do tomorrow. I guess, my mom will probably still stay in the hotel and Marie will go visit some bookstore since she’s looking for Korean editions of the series she’s a fan of.”

“Would you like to meet up with me again?” he asked boldly.

“Uhmm…” you hesitated. “I’d like to but…”

“But what?”

“Don’t you think that it would be better to ask my name first before asking me to go out?”

His eyes widened by your random thought and he started laughing because of this miss.

“Yes, I should do that first.” He nodded. “So what or how should I call you, noona?”

Noona?! Excuse me! I’m older than you but I’m not that much older than you. Besides, you’re Chinese. Shouldn’t you call me Jiejie?”

“Ok, jiejie then. So what’s your name?”

“How about we do this correctly?”

You reached out for his hand to shake and spoke, “Hi! My name is _______. And you are?”

He held your hand firmly and answered, “Hi, my name is Kris and I would really like to get to know you better. Would you like to meet up with me again tomorrow?”

“Gladly,” you answered happily. “But how will we meet up tomorrow?”

“Give me your phone.”

You hand your phone over to him and he started typing away.

“I saved my number already, I also called it so I’d know your number. I’ll call you later so we can plan things properly.”

“Ok, well I really have to go.”

“I know. I’ll talk to your later?”

“Yes.”

You were about to step out of Caffe Bene when you decided to go back to him. You tiptoed and he lowered his head a bit thinking that were going to whisper something to him.

He was caught off guard and you were also surprised when you suddenly pecked him on the cheek out of the blue.

You started blushing again and rushed outside to finally go back to the hotel with Marie.

What you didn’t see was Kris pressing his hand on the cheek you kissed and he was grinning from ear to ear.

He took out his phone and decided to call somebody.

“Hey, Tao. I need your to help me tomorrow..”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

So yeah, this is the first part. I'm not so sure if I have the capability to continue since like I said, I at writing.

But thank you for taking a chance and reading a few lines if not everything.:)