I'm hers... Not theirs...

I'm hers... Not theirs...

Xian's POV

XIAN! Wake up! You are going to be late for school!” The sound of my mother’s screams made me shot right up. Ugh. Not again. “XIAN! Did you not hear me?!” I groan loudly then hopped out of my bed. Afraid of being screamed at again, I screamed back in a slightly angry tone. “I’m coming!” Again, I groan loudly. As I grabbed my uniform that was ironed and hanged on my open closet, of course this would be ironed by the maids, I groaned one last time and then entered my bathroom.

 

I turned the knob of my shower and let the warm and relaxing water hit my skin. Ugh. This was a bad idea. The warm water made me sleepier. I lazily placed some hair wash on my palm and rubbed it on my hair. My eyelids were dropping as I was beginning to be sleepy. “You only live once! Yeah~” Sudden shouting and loud music made my eyes open widely. *sigh* That would be my older brother. The favorite bof my parents. He’s three years older than me. He’s on his senior year while I am entering my freshman year. We go to different high schools. He goes to this all boys private school while I go to this regular school. It is private, but the quality and standards of my school is nothing compared to my brother’s.

 

I finished my shower then placed a towel around my waist while drying my hair with a smaller one. I applied some medicine on my bruises then bandaged some of the bigger ones. *yawn* Why am I so sleepy? I slept early last night. And why is my older brother still here? His class starts at 6:30 am, and mine starts at 8 am. Oh no. Don’t tell me. I rushed to the small coffee table that was beside my bed and then checked the time on my phone. 6:26 am. Ugh. NOT THIS AGAIN!  “XIAN! I told you to wake up like 30 minutes ago!” I hurriedly dressed in my uniform, careful not to hit my bruises, and then rushed out of my room angrily, slamming the door behind me.

 

I walked pass by my brother’s room and as expected some of his friends were drinking and loud music was piercing through the walls. I rushed through the halls and ran down the grand stairs of my house, then hurried myself to the dining room. As always, I saw my father on the left side of the table reading the daily newspaper and drinking hot coffee, as I saw my mother enjoying her croissant and a hot cappuccino on the other side of the table. She felt my presence and looked at me, pissed. “I told you to wake up like centuries ago!” Here we go again. Our daily morning routine. “I am not my big brother! My REGULAR school starts at 8 am! Sean’s the one whom you should be waking up!” My mother stood up causing the dining table to shake and that made my father direct his attention to us. “I know that! But you know very well that I ask you to go to his school and excuse him for not going to school!” And just like that our argument grew and grew.

 

I groan loudly at her. “Why don’t YOU do it mom?! We’re rich enough to the point that you don’t do anything anymore! Do you know what Sean is doing up there?! Do you know that his drinking with his friends?! He’s not even legal yet! What kind of a mother are you to let her UNDERAGE son drink alcohol?!” I can sense that my mom was pissed at me. She started clenching her fists which signaled my dad. Okay, it’s my dad’s turn.

 

 

“How dare you talk to your mother like that?! Just go now or else Sean will be in trouble! Just tell them his sick!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. “Just let him drop out of school already! His useless! He doesn’t even go to his school anymore! Once a week or maybe even twice I do this kind of routine! I go to his school then excuse him. They’re even asking me if my brother had cancer or something! Just let him die with all of his alcohol!” With that my dad punched me.

 

He was continuously hitting me. I withstood the pain very well. My father’s fists touching my body was normal to me. My body was immuned already. But it can’t be helped that marks of his hitting was made on my body. Soon it stopped. My mother started crying and my father comforted her. I was weekly lying on the ground, panting and bleeding. I was trying to get up but I was too weak. Soon, Victoria was running towards me. Victoria is our head maid, she takes care of me very well. She’s 2 years older than my mother. I don’t treat her as a maid, I treat her as my best friend.

 

Victoria checked the halls if my mother and father was gone. She signaled one of the butlers to carry me. We were soon in the maids’ room. Victoria grabbed a first aid kit as the butler dropped me on Victoria’s bed. I mouthed the word ‘thank you’ to the butler as he just smiled politely and bowed to me, then he left. Victoria sat beside me, sighing. “You should just follow their orders young master. If you could’ve just listen you wouldn’t be in this state anymore.” She said while caressing my left cheek. As she was helping me remove my school uniform stained with blood, I can’t help but think on why they treat me like this. They won’t let a mosquito hurt Sean, but they would let me be in pain because of THEIR doings.

 

Victoria carefully placed medicine on my bruises and once in a while she would blow on it so I wouldn’t feel the sting. But I don’t care if she doesn’t blow on it. Medicine on my bruised body was normal to me. She placed my dirty uniform away and got me a brand new one. Freshly ironed and clean. I smile at her as she was placing the last bandage on the corner of my lips. She handed me my school bag and gave me my lunch box. She always cooks my lunch and placed them in canister like lunch boxes so it would still be warm in time for lunch. I stood up and gave her a very big and tight hug. She smiles at me then walked me to the gate.

 

Victoria would’ve been the best mother ever. She is supposed to be a mother but her child died when she was giving birth to him. Poor child. I dropped by my brother’s school and was hesitating to enter. But they would know if I didn’t tell the school. As usual, I would go to the principal’s office and they would say ‘okay! Tell him to take his time in resting!’ Of course they would say that! If you were a son of a big shot everything would be okay this, okay that, okay to everything.

 

I ran outside of my brother’s school and hurried to my school. It was already 7:56 am, and it takes 10 minutes for me to get there. I ran as fast as I could. Entering my school gates and passing by screaming girls and boys giving me rude looks. Yes, you may say that I am a heart throb but I also am a delinquent. Getting into fights is like releasing all of my stress. I hurried to my class and plopped myself into my seat. I don’t have many friends but I do have one true friend. Her name is Anika. She’s half Japanese, thus having a weird name. But she grew up here in the Korea so you can hardly tell she’s half Japanese. She gets in trouble with other girls because she hangs out with me or she gets harassed by other guys because she’s so pretty, but she doesn’t need to worry she’s safe with me.

 

====================================

 

Three weeks passed, but nothing has changed. It’s night time and I was walking home. Ugh! I don’t want to go home. As I reached our house’s gate I bid goodbye to Anika. “Bye Anika! Work hard and come back home safely.” She waves at me with a wide smile on her face. She has a part time job so she has to work late. A smile crept into my face. When I spend my time with her, all of my problems were gone. My good mood ended quickly. As three girls wearing miniskirts, high heels, and sleeveless shirts walk out of my house. *sigh* Sean, what did you do again?

 

I walk into my house, and my parents greeted me with folded arms. My mother slapped me and immediately started shouting at me. “What were you thinking about?! You’re so disobedient and now you did this?!” Did what?! What did I do?! I haven’t done anything! I sighed heavily and tried to contain my anger. “What are you talking about?” I asked her in the calmest voice I can possibly do. But then, my father quickly joined the argument. “Don’t act innocent son! What were you thinking about that you brought home… These… ugh… UNCIVILIZED girls.” Uncivilized girls? What are they talking about?! Wait. You can’t possibly think that the girls I saw earlier are the ones who they are talking about?!

 

“I didn’t bring those girls home!” That did it. My anger was all released. Well, I know where this is going to end, Victoria’s room and first aid kits. My mom raged at me. “Don’t you dare lie! Sean told us everything!” I laughed like a crazy man. “Pfft. Bwahahaha! Excuse me, what?! SEAN told YOU?! I was at school all day! While Sean was here, at home, ALL DAY. C’mon on mom! Think a little! Do you think it’s possible that I brought home some girls when I wasn’t even home at all?! Are you kidding me?!” My mother slapped me. This time really hard. It actually hurts. “How dare you speak to your own mother like that?!” Again I laughed. “Mother?! Mother?! Hahahaha… What do you mean by mother?! How can parents like YOU, hurt their own son like this?!” I threw my bag aside and started stripping myself. Leaving only my boxers on, I gestured my hands to make them look at the masterpiece they have made on my body. My body was like a puzzle piece, it had different colors on it.

 

My mother’s eyes widen. I chuckled at the sight of them being shocked. “Who do you think I am?! Superman?! Didn’t you think that all of your hitting would result to nothing?!” I left them in awe, the cold breeze was hitting my body but I didn’t care. I ran to my room wore jeans, a white shirt and a black cardigan. I packed my clothes then got my most important things. I grabbed all of my savings and was surprised on how much I’ve saved already.

 

I stormed out of my room then I saw my brother smirking. “Finally Xian! Took you long enough to realize that you’re not wanted here!” I glared at him as I continued walking. I am never coming back to this house. Never. Victoria was chasing me as she caught up to me she hugged me tightly. “Victoria there’s nothing you can do about it.” She releases her hug then she smiles at me putting both of her hands on my cheeks. “I know. Just be safe. Okay?” I nodded then brushed her hands off of my cheeks then ran down the stairs. My mother was there sitting on the couch comforted by my father. “Where do you think you’re going son?” With such a caring voice. Wait. What? A CARING voice?

 

My mother rushed then kneeled in front of me. She hugged my right leg then cried her heart out. “No, no, no. Son, don’t leave me. Don’t. Please, just stay here.” I wiggled my leg out. And helped her stand up. I held her shoulders then lightly shook her. “Why mom?! Why?! Have you ever really loved me? Huh?! I have never heard you tell me ‘I love you’! Have you hugged me? Kissed me? I need my parents’ love! You hugging my leg a while ago, that maybe the closest we’ve got!” My mom hugged me. Tightly. For the first time. I sobbed. I have waited for this moment for such a long time now. But, no. I don’t feel anything. I pushed her away then stared at the both of them. “I think, the reason why  you don’t want me to leave is because you’re going to lose the perfect punching bag.” I grabbed my luggage then ran out. My father screamed one last time “If you don’t come back here Xian, you will never return to this house again!” Pfft… Are they seriously threatening me?! “FINE BY ME!” I screamed at them, and hopefully that will be the last time.

 

====================================================================================================

 

I was able survive living alone. I recently found a part time job and I’ll start by next week. Anika had a small apartment beside theirs it was small but it was perfect for me. More or less, it has been two months when I left my house. When my parents are gone, I would sometimes sneak in the back door for Victoria’s delicious homemade food. And for the first time, I saw my body in perfect condition. No bruises, no scratches, no blood. My skin was quite pale actually, I didn’t expect that and I was well built for a 16 year old.  Because of all the stress gone, I’m not much of a delinquent anymore. I don’t get into much fights now. I made a good decision in leaving.

 

I’m heading to my OLD house to taste some of Victoria’s food. It’s been a week the last time I tasted them, and besides it’s Tuesday today, which means mom and dad aren’t home. I was making my way to the back door but I noticed that there wasn’t anyone. Where are they? Sudden sreaming startled me. “Please sir! STOP! I’m sorry!” Victoria! It was coming from front part of my house! I quickly ran and hide behind the wall that was beside our gate. I peeked between the bars of our gate.

 

My dad threw Victoria from the door to the cemented mini road that was in front of the entrance. My mother ran to Victoria and slapped her. “My son was here! And you didn’t even dare to tell me!” Victoria was holding her cheek and crying heavily. “Please. I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!” My dad was about to punch Victoria as I rushed to her side opening the gate quickly and covering her.

 

I was ready to take the punch but I felt nothing. I quickly turned my head and I saw my father’s fist right I front of my face. His eyes wide open and he was shocked to see me. My mother gasped. “Don’t you dare hurt her!” I screamed to my father. My father lowered his head and then spoke in a stern voice. “Hold him.” Two butlers came running to me and held me tight. “Let me go!” I tried wiggling but they were too strong. My father started kicking and punching Victoria. I groaned loudly. “How cruel are you?!” My father chuckled. He grabs the metal chair from the garden table set and raised it above Victoria. “No!” I wiggled my way out of the two butlers and luckily I was able to be set free. I hugged Victoria tightly, then… pain covered my whole body. I collapsed on top of Victoria and I heard my mother screaming. The corner of eyes were darkening. My vision was blurring as I feel Victoria turning me around so I would be lying down on her lap. She lies her head on my chest and sobs as I brushed her back.

 

Victoria's POV

I sat down beside Xian’s hospital bed. Thank God nothing bad happened to him. All he needed was a lot of blood. Xian’s parents are taking care of that. They’ll transfer the blood to Xian bit by bit. Xian is such a good boy but why does he have to suffer in the hands of his OWN parents? It just doesn’t make any sense.

 

The doctor comes back in with Xian’s parents quietly following. They’re pretty quiet for once. The doctor looks through his papers then sighs. “Excuse me sir, but it looks like there was a mistake. We will run through the tests again and confirm you with the results later.” Xian’s mother grabbed the doctor’s arm. “What’s wrong doctor?” The doctor showed the papers to Xian’s parents. “Well, as you can see. Your blood results didn’t match Xian’s. Your blood is not capable to make Xian live. In short, your blood structure is not the same as Xian’s. Which is impossible because one of you should have the one like Xian’s because you are his parents. I’ll look into it again. There must be something wrong.”

 

Xian’s mother nodded and agreed. “Okay doctor. Please do.” But then Xian’s father said that shocked everyone. “No. There’s nothing wrong doctor.” The doctor fixed his glasses and looked at Xian’s father with curiosity in his eyes. “What do you mean sir?” Xian’s father sighed and lowered his head. “We’re…. not his parents.” Xian’s mother laughed like a mad woman. “Hahahaha! Hone! Stop joking! This is not a time for jokes! Hahahaha! Right honey?” Xian’s father shook his head. I gasped as the doctor quietly left.

 “What are you talking about?!” I have never seen Xian’s mother this angry before. She starts hitting Xian’s dad. Xian’s dad held her both of her hands tightly and screamed at her. “I’m telling you he’s not our son!!! We are not his parents! Victoria is, okay?! How can you not understand that?!” Oh. Now I understand. They’re not the real parents, I am. Wait. “WHAT?!” I stood up from my chair and screamed at top of my lungs. But I wasn’t the only one who screamed, Xian was wide awake. Obviously confused. His eyes are widened. He started heaving heavily. “Start explain, dad. If you are my dad.”

 

 Xian’s dad sighed heavily then started explaining. “Victoria and my wife gave birth at the same day. Victoria’ son was only a few minutes earlier. I was looking for our son through the glass where the babies were contained. But I didn’t see the name Xian on any of the beds of the babies. But then a burse came out of the room. She asked me to follow her. I was so excited to see my son. I thought our son would be in the hands of my wife so I stopped in front of my wife’s room but the nurse shook her head. I continued following her and I saw room with a sign on it. It said ‘morgue’. I was too afraid to tell my wife because I know as a mother it will break her heart. So I paid the nurse to switch my baby with Victoria’s.”

 

 

Xian's POV

 

I looked at the two strangers in my room and a woman beside me that is supposedly my mom. “So I’m not Xian? I’m Victoria’s DEAD son.” My father nodded and sobbing noises were heard from everywhere. From my mom, and Victoria, my REAL biological mom. Victoria hugged me as tight as she could. And she kept touching my whole body like it was the first time she ever touched it. That’s why my father didn’t care about hitting me, that’s why they didn’t care.

 

I started to hug Victoria back. She’s my mom. I’m actually very happy. I started crying and crying. Even though Victoria didn’t knew, she was there for me. Not as a friend, but a MOTHER. She would clean my wounds, cook my food, tell me stories when I was little, when I was crying she would always calm me down and she would hug me like a how a mother should hug her child. That’s why, I was so connected to her. Memories of our time together flashed in my head. I realized, even though neither of us knew, our relationship was not being good friends, it was a mother and child relationship. I used to tell myself that I didn’t have a mom to take care of me. But I was wrong, I had Victoria. My one and only mother.

 

Every child has a mother. And there is only one.. One does not simply ask “What is a mother?”. You can’t really answer that in one try. Because there are no words to describe the three letter word M-O-M. But when you hear it, only a picture enters your mind. That is a woman smiling at you. When you feel like breaking down there are always those caresses, hugs, kisses, or simply warm and loving words that help you push aside those problems.

 

A father is the one who disciplines you, guiding you, and telling you which path to take. And the mother is always there while you are walking that path that your father gave you. When you are tired from walking in that path your mother is there beside you giving you strength, giving you water and food so you won’t be thirsty nor hungry from all of that walking. When you trip along the way there is always your mother there with a first aid kit and warm hugs to make you feel better and encourage you to keep walking.

 

 

 

“Without a father you won’t know which path to take,

 Without a mother there is no one to help you along the way.”