Drabbles

I Write Tragedies

1. Minho: It’s like trying to turn around on a one-way street;
He doesn't like to lose; but what happens when he can't win?
 

“So now what?”

 

This has become their favorite line; bouncing back and forth like a ball in a tennis match. It’s the ending line, the sign that they’ve had enough; the sign that they’ve hit a dead end. Neither says anything more, both focusing on the sound of the AC unit humming in the background. They both know the answer, but neither wants to say it. Giving voice to the words would make it real; after all these years together, the truth feels like a lie.

 

“Let’s talk about this tomorrow.”

 

Resign – they are tired of the endless fights, of saying things they didn’t mean. But they’ve given up; tomorrow will be the same, they knew, and nothing will ever change. The words they really want to say remain unspoken because neither wants to face the truth.



2. Jonghyun: Maybe you’re not seeing the side of me you should; 
He lives simply for the moment, and he never sees between the lines.

 

“Here, I got your favorite.”

 

She says nothing as she smiles. There is no point in telling Jonghyun, once again, that she isn’t a verybig fan of green tea ice cream.

 

“Let’s go see the new movie; it’s something you’d like.”

 

Maybe it’s enough that he remembers her name. She wonders who he sees when he is with her: who he remembers, who likes the green tea ice cream and dramatic movies. It isn’t her but she knows everyone likes to pretend.



3. Kibum: And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there;
He loves new things and new experiences; but what about those left behind?

 

“Did you have fun?”

 

He leans back in his chair, face b with excitement. The pictures of his grand adventures take up the whole table. The photos range from snowy mountains to flat lands; from big cities with bright neon signs to small villages gathered by a warm fire. She watches the way his mouth shape the words and recall his tale. His eyes light up as if a bright light is shining on them. There is a sense of awe and amazement when he talks, and his hands make exaggerated gestures for flare.

 

She doesn’t ask, but the words linger nonetheless: “Did you miss me?”



4. Onew: I’m running and not quite sure where to go;
No one can tell him why he is working himself to the ground.
 


He watches the screen as four bodies moved perfectly to the rhythm. He sees the way their faces scrunch up in concentration; the way they hold their breath so it would not be picked up on the mics; the way their bodies move much too stiffly because they are exhausted. He sees the way their eyes gloss over, and he knows they are moving on instinct: dances that are perfectly embedded in their minds – they are simply robots dancing to the music.

 

She watches as he fists the blanket, eyes staring straight at the screen; unblinking. He sits upright, frustrations and anger make his body shake. She sees the way his eyes gleam over, eyes that are still listless and tired. His skin is a bit too transparent, too green to be natural. His lips are too dry and his hair is matte and sticking to his sweaty forehead. She wonders if he even notices that he has a fever.

 

“Did you sleep well?” She asks, stepping further into the room. “I’m here to take your temperature.”


SHINee’s Onew turns to look at her, his smile in place, “Yeah. I am feeling better today.”


She gives him a small smile as she turns to look at his chart; she tries to read the words as she blinks away tears.



5. Taemin: But you’re just a line in a song;
He will never know, but his smile is bittersweet.

 

She hugs the poster to her chest as she blasts the songs up higher. She dances with him clutches close to her. She sings to the face plastered around her room. She lives for the boy smiling so brightly in the pictures. But he will never know, because she is just another face in the crowd and he is just another idol passing through.

 
 
 
Please leave a comment with the SHINee member's story that you think I should expand (since the poll only allows 4 choices - WHYYY)