Anthurium

In the Language of Flowers

anthurium- hospitality 

Recap: Jessica is hit by a truck, and Wooyoung does nothing to prevent her injuries. Myungsoo learns that Jessica has cancer. Jessica's aunt passes away. Yoona requests that Myungsoo photographs her wedding, and Myungsoo's mom, as well as Jessica, are transferring hospitals, under the request of Myungsoo, but before that, he'll need to earn some money, and he accepts Yoona's request to be the photographer of her wedding.

 

The room was quiet; the rustling of the curtains on the window could be heard; the birds who were chirping could be heard; Jessica found that it wasn’t easy to breathe. There was Myungsoo, in all his sadness, staring at her as if she was dead, and there was the case of her aunt dying. Without any warning, Jessica felt tears spill over the brims of her eyes. 

Myungsoo walked over to her bed and sat down on the edge. 

The room was filled in a pregnant silence. Finally, after what seemed like ages, Myungsoo opened his mouth. "Why?" he croacked, not looking at the girl. "Why?" Jessica bit her lower lip. These were the times when she truly wished she wans't deaf. Of course, she knew that he was asking. Why hadn't she told him she had cancer, and was going to die soon? Why had she acted calm about her destiny, her future, when this handsome young man was obviously falling in love with her?

Why? 

But, Jessica couldn't speak, and she couldn't give words of comfort. She couldn't say that she didn't want to ruin happiness: she didn't want to set a limit to the love that could potentially grow from this relationship. She didn't want to admit to herself that she was dying: hell, she just wanted to be normal. It was almost funny how people ran about their lives, complaining, when they weren't aware of that all they could lose it at any moment.

"Thanks for the answer," Myungsoo replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes. Immediately, Jessica's eyes flashed in anger, and Myungsoo noticed; he quickly took back his words. "I didn't mean that," he stuttered. "I mean- I just talked to a surgeon- your surgeon- and he said that your c-cancer was progressing and I- I didn't know what to do because- I mean-"

Jessica reached out a hand and placed it on top of Myungsoo's, silencing him. She pointed to a notebook with a pen attached, and Myungsoo handed it to her. I didn't want to admit it, Jessica wrote on the paper. The chance of happiness could be ruined. Our happiness. "Did you think I would leave you?" Myungsoo snapped at her, unable to keep the anger out of his voice. "I- frankly, I'm hurt that you didn't tell me."

Jessica's eyes only contained sorrow and remorse. Would you go around shouting to the world that you have cancer? she scribbled.

"I'm not asking you to shout it, I simply wished you'd let me find out in a way that's not so...sudden. So depressing."

Jessica pursed her lips, holding her pen firmly in hand. How could she communicate that she wasn't planning on such a sudden, depressing event to happen? That he wasn't supposed to find out so quickly? Then, she quickly scribbed a messy paragraph and handed it to Myungsoo to read, and it took him a while to finish reading. When he did, he turned away from her to hide the tear that had fallen from his eyes. 

 

In the morning, Jessica opened her eyes to see Myungsoo had fallen asleep next to her. He held her close to his chest, keeping an arm around her to make sure she didn't fall off the tiny bed. Jessica snuggled closer, and her movements woke Myungsoo.

"'Morning," Myungsoo managed to croak out, twisting around to stretch the cramps he'd developed. Jessica tried getting out of bed to brush her teeth (being mute didn't hinder her efforts at being hygienic), but Myungsoo pulled her back into his arms, encircling her waist. "You're not leaving me," he teased. Jessica frowned a little, lightly punching his arm, but it was to no avail. 

"Let's spend the day together, just you and me," Myungsoo suggested, letting his finger twist a strand of her hair. When Jessica mouthed the word "mom", Myungsoo's smile dropped. Of course he hadn't forgotten about her, but at the same time, he wished he'd forgotten. Being with Jessica were the seldom times when he could focus on something other than the deteriorating health of his mom. "She's transferring to this hospital," Myungsoo informed, looking at the cieling. "This afternoon, if I'm correct. I'll check on her tonight to see if everything's going alright."

After a brief pause of silence, Jessica decided that it was indeed time to go brush her teeth, and escaped Myungsoo's arms, ignoring his protests. She twisted away from him and was hit with a sudden wave of pain from her ribcage, and one of her legs was heavily bandaged. Looks like I won't be escaping the hospital for a while, she thought ruefully. She grabbed the notebook and pen, which were placed next to her bed, and requested that Myungsoo helped her freshen up. Delighted at being able to spend time with her, Myungsoo agreed, and helped her to the bathroom. 

When she had freshened up, Jessica sat down on her bed again, with the help of Myungsoo. 

"They'll bring the crutches for your leg tomorrow," Myungsoo informed, checking that her bandages were still fresh. "Until then, consider me your personal servant!" Glancing at Jessica, he saw that she had a smile on her face, as well as a blush. "What would you like to drink? Orange juice? Water? Or- maybe Coke?" Wiggling his eyebrows, he was happy to see that they both remembered the first time they met- bumping into each other at the vending machine when Jessica was trying to get Coca Cola. He was reaching over to grab the notebook and pen when he heard it again.

Her quiet laughter. 

He was sure of it. He heard something. Pausing, he glanced at Jessica again, unsure of whether he should bring it up. Not wanting to ruin the harmony between them, Myungsoo shook his head and handed her the notebook and pen so she could write down what she wanted for breakfast. 

Orange juice and toast please, it's too early for Coke!

"Wait for me," Myungsoo requested, bending down to give her forehead a quick kiss before exiting the room to fetch her breakfast. Jessica was aware of her quickened heartbeat and the blush on her face. 

 

Myungsoo, I have cancer. I've been sick for a while, but it's progressing rapidly. The doctors don't know how to treat it, and the only way to get treatment is to go to America...but nobody has money to send me there, let alone pay for the hospital bills. I'm sorry for the rashness of the news. I'm sorry for not telling you beforehand. I'm sorry for wanting to live a normal life.

I'm sorry for wanting to spend the remaning few months of my life with you, without worry.

I'm sorry.

 

---

Well, it took me almost a year to add a new chapter. Thank you for your patience! The next chapter will be called Gladiolus.