Wolf.

Wolf.

“News just coming in, doctors are saying the disease is contagious. They advise everyone who hasn’t already caught the disease to stay away from affected people.” the reporter buzzed on the television, drowning the horrendous storm outside.

 

They call it the “Wolf” disease.

 

The doctors thought they finally created a cure for cancer. They sure didn’t.

 

It was named the “Wolf” disease because everyone who caught it, slowly and painfully turned into something almost exactly like a wolf. And like a wolf, they had no morals, no feelings, no emotional attachments. To anyone.

 

 

Their only emotion? Hunger. Thirsty for the taste of fresh meat. Human meat.

 

Even if it were their family or friends; they wouldn’t care. For now they were a wolf, and what do wolves know? Nothing.

 

And now I’m sitting in my empty home alone, with my windows boarded up and my front door bolted shut, afraid of these wolves that prowl the streets day and night. 

 

All of my family have caught the disease. I saw them with my own eyes, my family morph into this creature, this magnificent, horrifying creature, and I just stared at them with awe and shock. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw them turn into this thing. But... I could still see them in their new diseased body. Not really physically, because since the disease made them grow this thick coat of fur, it made them look exactly like a wolf.

 

But I could still see them. In their eyes.

 

I stayed with my brother as he morphed into this monster, and as he finally had his last moment as a human, he just looked at me with his eyes. Filled with nothing but pain. Fur had already grown all over his body and he had the claws and teeth of a wolf.

 

But then he started to growl and twitch. I stepped back. He fell to the floor, twitching into a spasm crazily. He wouldn’t stop.

 

“C-Chanyeol...?” I called out, crouching down and I reached out my hand to him.

 

He was still twitching in a spasm-like way, like he was possessed. He growled like a wolf, but then at some points he screamed in pain like a human. His back arched and his claws grew. His head was tucked into his chest as he howled in pain. Still jerking and twitching. Still growling. Still screaming.

 

Then he stopped.

 

Not twitch. No growl. No scream. No noise whatsoever. No movement. Not even a breath.

 

Thinking he was dead, I hesitated as I extended my arm out to him. Creeping closer to him, with my arm still out to reach him.

 

I was closer than an inch from him and he pounced up.

 

On all fours, claws stretched out, his clothes had finally ripped off from his new, bigger, muscular, canine body and his face was not his anymore. He at last achieved the final stage of the disease. He was now a full wolf.

 

As he growled at me, slobber dripped from his jaw. You could see in his face that he didn't see me as his little baby sister anymore, merely just dog food. I whimpered as I shuffled back slowly.

 

He crept closer as I shuffled away from him. His face read hunger.

 

I hit the wall. I had nowhere to go. Trapped, nowhere to go.

 

“My brother’s going to kill me,” I think. “He’s going to eat me.” and I cried.

 

My brother cornered me and his new wolf face was in my face, his wet nose sniffing me as he snarled at me.

 

And as our faces were that close, I saw it. I saw him in his eyes. “It’s him. It’s still him,” I thought. The smallest smile appeared on my face, my eyes sting as tears roll out. I look into his eyes. My brother’s eyes. “It’s still my brother, it’s still him.” I keep thinking.

 

Then I notice a curl of his fur on top of his head. And I cry even more.

 

“Of course it’s you,” I say aloud now. He doesn’t even care, he’s still sniffing and grunting at me, typical wolf. 

 

“Of course it’s you, Chanyeol,” I say again, tears rolling down fast. His eyes, his curls, of course it was Chanyeol, my brother. I don’t care if he kills me, because it’s Chanyeol. My crazy, curly-haired brother.

 

Then the door slams open and my brother snaps his head back to see. He forgets me now and he creeps towards the door. A man with a rifle stands in the doorway and he points the rifle at Chanyeol.

 

I’m sitting in the corner against the wall, speechless, and I’m frozen in confusion.

 

Chanyeol pounces at the man for an attack and all I hear is a BANG. Chanyeol falls back and he whimpers. He twitches and twitches again. And then he stops.

 

He stops.

 

And I cry.

 

“CHANYEOL!” I screamed, running up to my brother’s wolf body. I cried against his soft fur. And  cried and cried.

 

 

And I’m still crying. My brother was killed yesterday in the house we grew up together in. And I can't stop crying, because now I’m alone, in my own empty house. I hug my knees and wrap myself tighter in a blanket before turning the television up so it drowns out the noise of this miserable weather.

 

“The Government has announced that everybody stay indoors, and to be prepared with weapons in case of an attack.” the reporter says and I glance to the hunting knife I found.

 

“Scientists are saying that this disease’s so contagious that everybody will catch it. They are saying only AB negative blood type won’t catch the disease, that’s about 1% of the population.”

 

And I sat up.

 

“I’m an AB negative.” and I realise that was the reason why I haven’t caught the disease yet.

 

“Me with the other 1%,” I say, “That’s not a lot.” I switched the TV off and sat in silence.

 

I’m alone. Alone, alone, alone. Scared. It’s silent in my empty home, too silent. I only hear the violent rain hitting against my window.

 

I rest my head on the armrest of the sofa and shut my eyes. I’m wide awake but there’s nothing else to do. I’m alone.

 

A creak of a door echos around my house. “The back door,” I think and my eyes shoot open and I reach over for my knife, I clench it tight in my hand. I slowly sit up and look at the door, waiting for something, someone, to crash in.

 

I hear footsteps. And breathy pants. Whatever it is, it's coming closer. I get up and hold my knife up in defence, muttering prayers under my breath.

 

The door creaked open, I shut my eyes and I yell as I charge towards them with the knife in my hand, ready to stab.

 

I halt as I hear screams. Screams a normal person would make. I open my eyes and I see my two childhood friends, Baekhyun and Sehun and everybody laughs as tears roll to the floor. 



 

I made tea and we all sat together on the sofa.

 

“I can’t believe you’re still here!” I said, “Or at least alive!”

 

They nodded, “We can’t believe we survived,” Sehun said, taking a gulp of tea and letting out the most heaviest sigh of relief. 

 

“How's your brother? Where is he?" Baekhyun asks excitedly and grins so big that his eyes becomes small cresents. Baekhyun had been especially close to my brother as they grew up together, so it was going to be hard for me to break the news to him. 

 

 

"Well..." I try to begin but it's hard to go on the topic, "you know..." I say and see Baekhyun's smile falter. 

 

 

He shakes his head as he repeats the word, "No." He looks away from me as he runs his fingers through his hair stressfully. "No." he looks at me again, "No. It can't be. No." he gulps as his eyes swell up. "D-Does he have the disease now? Or is he still alive, like out there with the other affected people?" he asks worriedly, but I can see he just wants Chanyeol to at least be alive. 

 

 

"Did." I correct Baekhyun, "he 'did' have the disease." 

 

 

Baekhyun's eyes gleamed, "Wait? What?!" both Baekhyun and Sehun exclaims. 

 

 

"You can get rid of the disease?" Sehun misunderstood. 

 

 

"Baekhyun's alive then?" Baekhyun also misunderstood. 

 

 

"No..." I say with a low voice and I say clearer "Chanyeol caught the disease and turned into a wolf. I was with him when he changed and he tried to attack me, but then this man 'saved' me from him, and well, killed Chanyeol." 

 

 

There was silence between the three of us for a while, as tears fell to the floor. I've never seen Baekhyun cry so bad before, I never realised how close he was to Chanyeol. Until now. 

 

It took us a while to settle down and eventually did stop. 

 

 

 

“Are you sure you haven’t caught the disease?” I asked worriedly, topping up everybody's cups with more hot tea.

 

“We’re sure,” Baekhyun said with confidence.

 

“I mean, we didn’t go anywhere near anyone affected,” Sehun said.

 

I smiled, “That’s good then,” I said, relieved.

 

And now, together with my best, childhood friends, I was happy. Yeah, there was a possibility we could get killed, but at least we’d die together.


 

We all slept downstairs together, it was like a sleepover. You know, until we all die.

 

3am, and something woke me up. I sat up and saw nothing but a pitch black. I heard a quiet rumble in the darkness.

 

“Baekhyun? Sehun?” I called out. I felt my way around the room and I eventually got myself to stand up. Obviously, I still couldn’t see anything, so I felt my way around the room for the lightswitch.

 

The grumble rumbled on quietly in the dark, and I continued to call for Baekhyun and Sehun.

 

I bumped into the wall and had finally found the lightswitch, but before I turned it on, I heard a dripping noise.

 

Drip. Drip. Drip.

 

Confused, I switched on the light before glancing around to look for the boys. 

 

 

 

And there I saw Baekhyun’s bloody dead body, ripped into pieces. A wolf hovering over her dead body, blood dripping from its jaw.

 

"B-Baekhyun? Baekhyun?" my voice croaked as tears filled my eyes. 

 

The wolf had took chunks of Baekhyun's face and I could see his red flesh, the wolf's bite was so deep that Baekhyun's skull was on show. As his eyeballs were nearly popping out of his skull, I gulped and immediately thought of Sehun.

 

“Sehun?” I kicked the blankets around in search for him. I was thinking, "How the hell did I not hear this? How did I not wake up? Oh, God, I could've saved Baekhyun." I gulped down my tears, wiping my eyes with my sleeve, "Where's Sehun? Sehun!" I shouted, nervously, keeping the wolf in the corner of my eye, but then an idea struck me.

 

I looked back to the wolf, its eyes staring at me. I soon realised. “Sehun?” And I felt like falling to the ground with such a heavy burden for a heart.

 

Sehun killed Baekhyun. And now I need to kill Sehun. Otherwise, he'll kill me.

 

 

I cried as I reached over for Sehun's gun and as I aimed it at him, sobbing as I did, he growled with Baekhyun’s blood still dripping from his jaw.

 

Sehun crept slowly towards me as I readied the gun. I hesitated to pull the trigger.

 

“I can’t do it,” I whimpered, “I just can’t do it.”

 

His growling became louder and I looked away as I pulled the trigger.

 

BANG.

 

I gulped before opening my eyes to see both my friends dead. In my own home. And I killed one of them.

 

My knees became weak and I fell to the floor, breaking down into tears.

 

I sobbed, “I’m alone now, what’s the point of living?”

 

After several minutes of crying over my dead friends, I got fed up. Fed up with myself. So I took the gun and headed outside into the streets.

 

I slammed the door noisily behind me for all the wolves around to hear.

 

 

I didn’t care. I was going to kill myself so what’s the point of trying to hide?

 

In the black of night with only the moon for light, the only thing I could hear were the howls of the wolves going “AWOOOOO.”

 

I readied the gun once again and held it towards my head. I laid my finger on the trigger.

 

And I stretched my arm, pointing the gun at the sky. I shot once.

 

BANG. 

 

 

Twice.

 

 

BANG.

 

 

And again.

 

 

BANG.

 

In an instant, wolves came running towards me.

 

I killed one of this kind, so it’d be appropriate if they had me.

 

I bit my lip and a stream of tears came down my face as a pack of wolves circled me, growling at me.

 

I shut my eyes tight as they approached me, sniffing me, their fur grinding against my legs.

 

Then one pounced on me and got me to the ground. My head hit off the concrete and I felt blood seeping out already. Dizziness and pain struck me already. 

 

I felt the warm breath of the wolf as its mouth opened wide for a bite of me. I bit my lip as I anticipated the pain.

 

BANG.

 

The wolf’s suddenly shot and its body falls upon mine.

 

BANG. BANG. BANG.

 

And that’s all I hear before I fall unconscious at the loss of blood.




 

I wake up with a banging headache, pain striking into my skull second after second. All I see is a blur; I can just make out a face above me.

 

“Stay with me!” they’re calling out, I can just about hear them shout.

 

My eyes are becoming clearer, the pain is still striking, but I can now see this handsome face.

 

He sees I’m becoming conscious and hope glows in his eyes.

 

“My name is Kris. I’m going to help you.” he says and my vision starts to go blurry again.

 

My heart wants to beat so hard for this guy because I feel head-over-heels for him already, but I feel my heart beat slower... and slower...

 

And I can barely see anything from this blur...

 

Kris’ screams becomes muffles...

 

And I see black...

 

Black.

 

And I’m in the dark.





 

Dead.