I'll Be There

Beneath Your Sleeves

this is a pretty lengthy chapter, so feel free to carry on if you're willing to read :)

 

Daehyun woke up with the most extreme headache ever. He groaned and sat up-right from where he was. He covered his face with his hands as he seemed seemingly tired, his fingers began to rub his eye then all of a sudden it started to hurt from the inside.

He felt as if he wanted to target the small bit of pain that was coming from the inside of his eye, but obviously he couldn't really reach it.

Daehyun blinked his eyes open, but all he could see was an absolute blur to him. He tried rubbing his eyes again, but all that he could see was vaguely cloudly and he could hardly make out where he was right now. All that his memory recalled was that Youngjae was standing with the crowd telling him to wake up, but all of a sudden he out.

"Hello?" he called out "Hello?" he called out again

No response. His curiosity took over so he stood up and tried to figure out where he should go, even though he could hardly see a thing. Daehyun didn't know what was wrong with him right now, for all he knows he could be dead, but he didn't care. He just wanted to know where he was.

He reached out his hands and managed to feel for a hard brick wall in front of him. But this wasn't really going to help. He needed his other senses to help him out, so his ears perked up slightly.

"I'm afraid, Mr and Mrs Jung, your son could be partially blind"

Daehyun's breath shortened for a moment. What did he just hear?

A few cries of whimpers were heard along with the conversation "H-how do you know for sure?"

"I'm close to certain, but I need a full examination on his eye just to be sure, we just have to wait until he wakes up"

"B-but...well, I don't know if you know this but, Daehyun also has some kind of a mental illness."

"Oh? Which one?"

"We're not exactly sure, but he always talks to people; people that are clearly not  there. I've wanted him to go counselling and to see a therapist."

"And has he?"

"He was going to go see a counsellor; just after school today"

"You might have to go see that counsellor or therapist to see if therapy is still the way to go with it if he is partially blind"

And with that, more sounds of crying came from the other room. Daehyun felt like throwing up at their conversation and what could have possibly happened to him. His breathing got heavier and heavier.

He felt like crying, and then, unknowingly, he felt cold little tear droplets fall from his cheeks. He felt worthless, useless. It was as if having one abnormal condition about him wasn't enough.

His fist slammed against the wall harshly in complete anger creating a rather loud thump whilst making his knuckles sore and mortifyingly red, but he didn't care. He was used to this kind of pain. To him, it didn't matter if he received it every day.

Daehyun cursed at the pain and began to rub his sore knuckles.

Tears continued to stream down his face as he leaned against the wall and eventually sunk down to the floor. His knees were weak and he felt as if he couldn't support himself anymore. No one could help him now. No one except him.

"YoungJae,"  Daehyun silently whisphered out "I need you"

All of a sudden, Daehyun felt a hand gently go on his shoulder as he sat down. "YoungJae? Is that you?" he asked

"I'm here, Daehyun"

"I-I can't breathe. I-I feel like..like i'm about to throw up. I c-can't take it a-anymore" he stuttered, his breathing seemed to get worse and worse

"It's okay. It's okay." He felt what he thought was YoungJae's hand his thumb on Daehyun's shoulder, where as in fact it was actually his mother, who had heard the loud thump, came over and sat beside him, she had her hand on his shoulder. Daehyun was talking to nothing but thin air, whilst his parents watched their only son struggle in life.

"I can't do this anymore, I don't want to..."

There was a moment of silence, and for a second Daehyun thought that YoungJae left him. He rubbed his eyes vigorously, in an attempt to remove the speck of cloudiness and blurriness that was blocking his view from the world. But, clearly, he couldn't. This left him awfully frustrated.

"Dammit!" he yelled out and began crying yet again "YoungJae, are you still here?"

"I'm here, I promise"

Daehyun sighed in relief "What do I do..?"

YoungJae hesitated for a moment before answering him "I'll be honest, Dae. I'm just about as clueless as you are. But it kills me seeing you like this. My best friend suffering for his whole life. I've seen you, you know? You're always doubting yourself. Wondering if this ability of yours is a gift or a curse, and i've always told you my opinion on it, Daehyun, each time you ask me, and you know that. Even though you can only hear me now, i'll be there for you; because I know what it's like having no one. That's all I can merely say."

Daehyun stayed silent for a moment and felt what he thought was YoungJae's hand let go of him.

"Daehyun" his mother's voice was recognisable

"O-omma?"

"We're here" he heard his fathers voice

"W-what happened to me? Is what I heard true?"

He heard a sigh coming from them "They're to have to run a few tests first to make sure it's certain," he felt his mother pull him in for a gentle hug "I'm sorry, Daehyun"

"Young man," he heard an unfamiliar yet deep voice "I'm Mr. Lee, and i'm an optician here. Glad to see that you're finally awake. I'm afraid that what your mother said is true. We'll have to run a test on both your eyes first. If you would like to step up..." he took the hand of Daehyun and helped him stand up, then he guided him to an enclosed room

"Won't be long" he assured Daehyun's parents

Daehyun sat down, feeling uncomfortable as he was unaware of where he was, plus he was in a room with someone who he has never met before. But Mr,Lee was kind and he assured Daehyun that everything was going to be alright and that all he needed to do was listen to the sound of his voice and go by with what he was saying.

-

"Your lens is cloudly hence the reason why you can't really see well and most of it is all a blur, this is called a Cartaract. Unfortunately, Daehyun-ssi, you have visual impairment which means, you are, and I confirm it; partially blind."

Daehyun stayed silent at the newly-received news. He didn't know what to say, for after all he was getting used to his new view for the last half an hour. He was left speechless because he was expecting he would say that.

"May I ask, Daehyun-ssi, how did this happen?"

He sniffed a little before answering "What I can recall is that I was having a fight with someone at school; the last thing I remember is him punching me and then I felt myself fall down and I felt dizzy, and then YoungJ-" he hesitated for a moment "yeah, that's it."

He felt his hands reach out for Mr.Lee's, he got the message that Daehyun wanted to leave so he guided him out of the room to see his parents again.

The look on Mr.Lee's face said it all, and Daehyun's parents felt like their whole world was crashing down. Not a word was said; they all knew what had just happened.

"Since you are partially blind, I recommend you to use a cane to help you walk around and feel for things. Your sense of touch and sound will be practiced." he handed Daehyun the white cane and he felt for it and then took it. He observed the cane using only his sense of touch, feeling for it up and down.

"I also have some glasses for you, glasses that are specially made for the blind" he handed it over to his mother

"Kansahamnida" Daehyun and his parents thanked him.

-

"We're going up the stairs now. One, two.."

"I'm not a kid, Mom" his voice sounded annoyed

"R-right, sorry"

Daehyun successfully managed to climb up the stairs without the need of any guidance or his new cane.He reached the top of the stairs and turned right, where his bedroom door was. Even though he couldn't see clearly, he still remembered where everything is.

"Do you want to eat?" his mother asked sympathetically

"Just leave me alone" he replied harshly, opening the bedroom door. He felt for his bed by oustretching his arms, and then he laid there, closing his eyes.

"Daehyun," his father's tone wasn't sounding impressed "I know that you're about just stressed and frustrated as we are. But we care for you, especially your mother. Don't be rude and have some respect for her."

He ignored what his father said and grabbed a pillow and buried his face in to it, letting a teardrop fall. But, as a few minutes passed, one tear drop turned in to two, and by then his pillow was soaking wet. He just couldn't stop crying.

"Don't hurt yourself, Daehyun"

Immediately he recognised the voice and turned around from where he thought the voice was coming from.

"YoungJae!" he exclaimed, it seemed as if he needed a friend for now. A friend that understands him especially.

"Stop crying now. You're gonna hurt yourself." he suggested

He sniffed "I'm sorry, I-I can't help it. You know that, right?"

"Here," Daehyun felt a finger wipe off his his tears "let me dry them for you" he continued clearing off Daehyun's unstoppable tears "Aigo, Daehyun. You little frustrated thing that keeps on crying."

"D-don't leave me" he sniffed

All of a sudden, Daehyun felt YoungJae's cold lips meeting his dry cheek as he gave a small peck. "I won't" he replied

He was left speechless at what just happened. But he didn't mind. YoungJae was purely his best friend. Although, it is sad to say that everything that happened is purely from Daehyun's imagination and that no one was actually with him in his room at the time.

"What's this?" YoungJae asked

"What's what? I can't see clearly, remember?"

"This long white thing"

"Oh, that. It's my new cane. Apparently it's supposed to help me get around without any help."

"Like a piece of elongated object is gonna help you out," Daehyun gave out a small laugh "I'll help you. You can just listen to the sound of my voice and i'll tell you what to do. Here, how about I guide you across the room so you can pick up something on your desk?"

"Uh, sure. We can try it out." he agreed

Daehyun's room was fairly large, and it would be a bit of a hassle to know where he is especially at this state. He stood up from his bed.

"Turn around 180 degrees," Daehyun did as he was told "Now walk straight forward..stop! Now turn right slightly and then carry on walking straight forward," YoungJae's voice guided him slowly and solemly "Stop. Reach out right hand and feel for the brush in front of you." Even though he is partially blind, he could still make out discrete shapes.

"Is this it?" he asked, holding it up

"Good," YoungJae praised "this is gonna be a breeze"

"I guess I could just use you to guide me, right? People will think it's a miracle. Even though I might never see you again, I can still rely on the sound of your voice. It's weird, though, isn't it? Saying that I might not ever see you again. I bet one of us is gonna end up more attractive than the other" he joked

"Yeah" YoungJae chuckled "Daehyun..."

"Ne?"

"Just so you know, if you ever need me, just call out my name. I'll be there."

Daehyun just smiled "It's what I always do, Jae"

-

2 days had passed since he was diagnosed with visual impairment. The school gave him two days off after what had happened and today was the day he would return back again. Fortunately, the boy who had punched him in the face had been expelled from school. Punching someone is enough, but punching someone and causing them partial blindness was a serious situation and the school was having none of it.

YoungJae has been helpfully guiding Daehyun around the house since, and his parents seemed surprised. It was as if Daehyun hardly lost his eye sight at all, which seemed like a miracle to them.

"Honey, come down and have some breakfast" his mother called out from downstairs

"Coming, omma!" Daehyun yelled from his room

"Straight forward and then turn right," YoungJae guided him "Now feel for the stair's handles and go down"

YoungJae has been helping Daehyun find his way through things, and to be honest, Daehyun couldn't be more thankful to have him. Life was getting easier whenever he's around. "Just follow my voice" he would say.

"Omma?""

"Over here, Dae. Want some help?"

YoungJae began to guide him to the kitchen "Ani, it's okay" he said, reaching his arm out and feeling for the chairs at the dining table and he sat down.

"Honestly, Dae. How are you doing it?" his mother asked, surprised

"Doing what?"

"Getting around by yourself so easily. And you're hardly using your cane."

A smile appeared to linger on his face "That's because YoungJ- uh, I mean, I just know this house well inside and out" he lied

He heard his mother sigh "I still think you need to go counselling, though. Your school counsellor has agreed to see you again today after school"

"Okay, omma" he agreed cooly whilst taking a bite out of his buttered toast. For now, he didn't seem to have a problem with going counselling.

"I'll drop you off at your school from now on, okay?"

"Are you sure? I'll be fine"

"Yes, honey."

As soon as Daehyun finished his breakfast, he grabbed his backpack and his mother guided him to the car. He assured her that it was okay and that he didn't really need any help, but she insisted on it. About 5 minutes later they had arrived in front of Daehyun's school.

"I'll bring you to your class"

"Eh? Ani! It's okay mom!"

"Come on, Daehyun," she grabbed his arm and brought him "your principal also said that he needs to speak with me and you as well, get your cane and your black glasses"

As they were walking to the school's entrance, people stopped and looked at Daehyun looking surprised as he was tapping his white cane from side to side on the ground to help indicate where he was going whilst also holding on to his mom.

"So it's true" he heard somebody say

Daehyun's mom eventually found her way to the principals office to find a man dressed in a black suit complete with a black tie sitting on a rotating chair, looking as if he was expecting someone (which was her).

"A-annyeonghaseyo?" his mother stuttered, seeming nervous

"Ne, Annyeonghaseyo Mrs.Jung. I've been expecting you, please take a seat," Daehyun's mom did as she was told, she also escorted her son to take a seat next to her. He seemed to be arranging some papers first before he finally gave his attention to them. "I've heard about what happened, and i'm sorry about it. Especially you, Daehyun. What that boy did was not right,"

Daehyun nodded his head in response as he didn't know what else to do

"So, because of what has happened and the consequences of it; I might recommend putting Daehyun in a school for the blind."

"W-what?" his mother seemed surprised

"Well, clearly the students here aren't very welcoming and supportive of him; therefore I don't really see that he will benefit much from here"

"I think it's for the best, omma" said Daehyun

"Even he agrees"

"W-well, alright. But just so you know, he is partially blind and not fully blind"

"Yes, indeed I know. But even having 1% of binocular vision isn't going to help. Daehyun, if you don't mind, i'd like to see if you can tell how many fingers I am holding up" he asked, raising 2 fingers in the air

"I can't see, sir. It's all a blur to me."

The principal put his fingers down and made a reassuring face to Daehyun's mother. She then understood what was best for him.

They had a few minutes of chatter before they had to leave. Daehyun was half an hour late for his first lesson, but the principal told him that it was okay because it wasn't his fault.

"Kansahamnida" they thanked

He said that he would recommend Jeju High School; a school for the blind. Although it was a new experience for Daehyun, it seemed intriguing as well. It was also the only high school for the blind in the town he was currently living in. He had about a week left at his current school, and then he would be moving. Which to him, seemed like a relief and a break from what he called 'this hell hole'.

"I'll see you later, Daehyun." his mother kissed him on his forehead

"Bye, omma"

 

Throughout the whole school day, Daehyun seemed to be getting to and reaching places perfectly fine. People were astonished and wondered if he was actually blind or if it was a fake act. He hardly used his cane in a proper way, but simply just dragged it along the floor.

Daehyun was getting some books out of his locker in preparation for his next lesson.

"Ani, Dae. This is your science book, you've got History next. It's the one next to it." YoungJae guided him

His fellow school mates were left puzzled. "Yah," someone approached him and stood on the left side of him as he was facing his locker and picking out books "jogi, are you actually blind?" he asked

Daehyun turned to the right side of him when clearly the person was standing to the left of him "Partially" he replied

The boy left him seeming unconvinced and went back to his crowd of friends, who were now chattering away about what just happened but they still observed him carefully.

"Let's see what he does next" one of them whisphered

"I don't know what I'd do without you, YoungJae" Daehyun said

One of them opened their mouth forming an 'o' shape. "Oh my god," she said "he's talking to himself"

"Yeah," said another "don't you know? He's the school's weird kid. Always talking to himself."

"Poor kid"

"Let's go, Jae" said Daehyun whilst closing his locker and strutting to his next class, avoiding all the people that got in his way. The people who witnessed his careful actions even though he was partially blind were left gobsmacked and completely astonished at what they had seen.

-

"Daehyun-ssi, these people that you see, or hear, can you still see/hear them?" his counsellor asked

The school day had ended and Daehyun was now in an unfamiliar room in his school.

"I don't see them, but I hear them"

"And you say one of them has been with you since childhood, yes?"

"Ne. His name is YoungJae. He's my best friend and my personal guide."

The lady smiled "I couldn't help noticing that you got here perfectly fine without any help of someone or even your walking cane. I was worried that you might get lost. It's your first time in this room, right?"

"Ne. And, to be honest, I didn't really knew that we had a different part to the school either."

"So, then, how do you do it?"

Daehyun smiled "My mom was wondering the exact same thing earlier this morning, Ms.Choi, and i'm glad to say that YoungJae has helped me through my every day life ever since the day that I lost my eye sight. All I have to do is listen to his voice and his commands."

"So you just follow what he says, and you're where you're supposed to be? No mistakes or anything like that?"

He shook his head "Not at all"

"Is that why he's your personal guide?" she asked

"Yes, ma'am"

"Then what a friend," she smiled "well, I don't really know how you're going to react to this, Daehyun-ssi, but your mother has agreed to schedule you with an appointment with a therapist tomorrow after school as well."

"That's perfectly fine with me, Mrs.Choi"

"That's good to hear then"

The lady was awfully kind to him and treated him and his responses as if it was absolutely natural. But, it was actually one of the first time she ever heard such a thing. A blind boy who sees practically everything in a blur, get's guided successfully by a figure who is clearly from his imagination? This was an absolute marvel to her. And practically everyone who had observed him so far thought the same.

"I figure he has schizophrenia" Daehyun had already left for home and she was now on the phone to the therapist who Daehyun was going to see tomorrow

"You think so?" he replied

"Close to positive. But, sir, there's also something astonishing about this boy"

"What is it, Sylvia?"

"I'd tell you but, i'd rather let you find out yourself tomorrow"

 

"YoungJae!" Daehyun opened the door of his bedroom, he seemed excited.

"How'd counselling go?" he asked. YoungJae was lying on the bed.

"Great," he replied "the lady was super nice; she treated me like no one has ever treated me before. She made me feel...normal"

"That's nice, Dae"

"Honestly though, I would be lost without you. Thank you for everything, Jae." he tapped him with his hand on the back as a sign of thanks

"Let's not get too deep now, man" YoungJae joked

 

- The Next Day -

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Daehyun" he greeted his new therapist, "Feel for the chair, and then sit down" whisphered YoungJae and he did as he was told

"Ah, Daehyun. Annyeonghaseyo. Miss.Choi has told me a lot about you."

"Oh, has she?"

"Ne. Sorry to jump straight in to things but I've been told you are partially blind, which is dueable and shouldn't really interfere with our therapy sessions."

"Ne"

"But I couldn't help but notice that you managed to find your way perfectly to the chair without any help"

"It's all because of YoungJae, sir" Daehyun grinned

"Is this what you were talking about yesterday with Miss.Choi?"

"Ne"

"Ah. She said she had found an interesting aspect of you; apparently something that is much more interesting for me to see myself rather than to tell me over the phone. I'm assuming this is it? By the help of your, um, 'friend', you are able to find your way around even if you can't see well?"

"Indeed, sir"

"Please, tell me more"

"Well, his name is YoungJae and i've known him ever since I was young. He practically grew up with me and I consider him my closest friend. I went partially blind literally a few days ago because of a fight at school; YoungJae's been guiding me since."

"And you hardly use your cane at all?"

"I sometimes do, whenever he's not with me. But he's mostly here."

"And is he with you now?"

"Yes, sir. To me he's sitting/standing right beside me. It's how I managed to sit myself down on my own."

"Would you mind if I test this, Daehyun?"

"No problem"

He hesitated for a moment to think of an experiment he could do "Pick up that pencil over there on the floor" he ordered, but there was actually no pencil on the floor.

"There's no pencil" whisphered YoungJae

"There's no pencil" Daehyun repeated to his therapist

He seemed astonished at his response, but he proceeded to test this a little further. "There's a book over at my desk, Daehyun. I'd like for you to kindly go there, get it and then bring it back to me." he ordered

"Alright" he agreed, knowing that the sound of YoungJae's voice was all that he needed

"Stand up, go forward, there's something in front of you so turn slightly left so you won't bump in to it,"  "Is there?" Daehyun asked "Yeah" YoungJae responded. His therapist seemed very well impressed at how well he was doing "right a little. Stop. It's right in front of you, Dae. Feel for it and then pick it up."  Daehyun reached out his hand and felt for the book and then picked it up. YoungJae then guided him back to his seat, Daehyun then gave the book to him.

"Here you are" he said

"Wow," he said, seeming extremely surprised "I am impressed. But I have to say, Daehyun, you are partially blind and this means that you haven't lost completely all your eye sight. Tell me, how many fingers am I holding up?" he asked, raising 3 in the air

"It's all a blur to me, sir"

"Oh, is that so?"

"Ne"

"Well, Daehyun, I must say this is my first time ever witnessing something as extravagant as this. I consider this as truly a miracle. But, as a therapist, i'll have to take some medical actions as well. Have you been having any mental breakdowns lately or panic attacks?"

"All the time," he responded "I don't know why, I just get stressed and angry at things. Often, I feel like I can't breathe. And that i'm about to throw up. It all just seems to distressing for me to handle"

"Hm" he took some notes down on a note pad  "I see..."

The therapy session lasted for an hour. They had a lot to talk about as Daehyun had a lot to get off his chest.

 

"Thank you" he said to the therapist

"No problem, Mrs.Jung, if I may have a word?" he gestured Daehyun's mother towards him

"Of course" she said, approaching towards him

"What I have witnessed was truly a marvel and it left me amazed. But, I must say that I think your son has schizophrenia, along with depression," Daehyun's mother gave out a deep sigh in expectation "He has shown major signs of it throughout our session. It may be one of the reasons why he's always stressed and crying all the time; he's having a mental breakdown. I'd like to see your son again next week, same time, same day. As for his depression..." he gave out a small tube with some pills in it "this is Duloxetine. An antidepressant. They're 60mg tablets, so he'll have to take one every day. It's important that he follows this regime."

"Okay," she took it out of his hand and examined the tube with the labels on it "Thank you," she turned over to Daehyun who seemed to be daydreaming in the corner "let's go"

 

"Jae, look. They gave me antidepressant pills, apparently."

"You know, it's weird to know that a mental illness could be cured by a medical pill when it's usually treated by therapy"

"I know, right?" Daehyun placed a capsule in his mouth and swallowed it with water "I wonder if it will work"

"Dae, are you ever upset that you might never see again?" he asked out of the blue

"Um," he said "Of course. Sometimes. But I don't really make such a big deal out of it, I trust you to guide me"

"I could lend you my eyes if you want" YoungJae smiled

Daehyun grinned "I think i'll be fine, don't worry"

 

48 sessions with his therapist. 356 pills of Duloxetine were swallowed. A year had already passed.

YoungJae and Daehyun were with each other every day and YoungJae never left his side. Over time, Daehyun's eye sight went more and more worse until eventually he wasn't partially blind anymore but fully blind. He couldn't see a thing except darkness but occassional hints of dark colours. But it was all okay, since he had his closest friend with him literally every step of the way.

People were getting more and more gobsmacked as to see a young, blind man with schizophrenia being able to walk and find his way around perfectly by the help of the figure from his imagination. The news spread and there was even a newspaper with the headline 'Blind but can see' which was an article specially based off Daehyun and his miraculous story.

Daehyun was always proud to say that it was all thanks to YoungJae. But, of course, to the people and you and me, there was clearly nobody there. So, being us, there was no 'YoungJae' from our perspective, and it all seemed like a miracle.

After he had left his old high school and moved to his new high school especially for the blind, things have gotten a lot better. He had managed to make new friends and life seemed to have taken a turn in to a new horizon. Heck, Daehyun even has a girlfriend now. Park Yerin, she was someone who he met in his high school and fell completely in love with her. Even though he doesn't even know what she looks like, it was her personality that managed to capture his heart.

"I'm happy for you, Dae" said YoungJae when Daehyun told him

"It's such a nice feeling, Jae," he replied, feeling all mushy inside "I've managed to find someone worth while. I think my life is really changing in to something better, you know?"

"I think the time has come, Jung Daehyun" YoungJae whishpered silently to himself so that Daehyun couldn't hear.

YoungJae doesn't show it but he's actually becoming weak and gradually fading away. Daehyun's therapist gave him some 'Antipsychotic' meds to help with his schizophrenia but he lied to Daehyun saying that it was just another brand of antidepression pills since he knew how much YoungJae meant to him.

Meaning that, yes, YoungJae will eventually fade away completely and Daehyun wouldn't be able to hear him anymore, given the fact that it was all due to that specific drug.

Daehyun is still seeing is therapist weekly, and they have formed an extremely close bond. School counselling is sometimes done as well, and he still takes those antidepressants everyday. Although life seems better, his therapist recommends he still sticks to his therapy and daily capsules.

 

"YoungJae, YoungJae!" Daehyun came home from school and came in to his room seeming all excited, he was expecting YoungJae to be there like he always was "I'm home, buddy. Anyway, graduation is coming up soon and my prom is next week! I'm going with Yerin, obviously. It's been almost a year since we've been together now, isn't that great? You can come too. Want to help me pick out a suit?"

Silence.

"Jae," he called out "Are you there? Is everything alright? Talk to me"

Silence.

"Jae.." Daehyun started to get worried "Come on, Jae."

No response. YoungJae was literally gone.

"Jaee..YoungJae! Hello? Are you here? Please come." he reached out and tried to feel for YoungJae on the bed, then he turned and tried to see if he was sitting on the chair. He touched his desk and sweeped away everything that was on it in an attempt to find YoungJae. It made a sound of shatter as it fell to the floor.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

"Omma..!" Daehyun called out for his mom who immediately came rushing in

"What is it?" she asked, looking alarmed

"Y-youngJae..he's not here. He usually talks to me when I come home, but now he's not."

"Honey.."

"JAE!" Daehyun called out loudly, he was getting worked up and completely frustrated again. He reached out his arms so that he could feel for him, but all he touched was the thin air and inanimate objects. He felt absolutely crushed that his best friend could have possibly left him like this. "YOUNGJAE..!" he called out once more, still no response.

Daehyun kneeled down to the floor and began to sob. He was worried that he had lost his closest friend forever, and that he was never going to come back ever again.

His mother ran to him and began to comfort him whilst his tears never stopped. It was the first time he was having such a mental breakdown like this since last year. "Shh, it's okay." his mother said.

It hadn't occured to Daehyun that the whole year of constant therapy, counselling sessions and treatment could have actually contributed to the fact that he couldn't hear YoungJae anymore. Maybe, perhaps, he had been somewhat 'cured'. It was a mental illness, after all. But to Daehyun, YoungJae was more than that. He had been with him his entire life, and now it all ends here.

"Why did he leave me?" he asked himself

It's sad to say but, no matter how hard he cried or yelled, YoungJae never returned and he never heard his voice again.

-

7 years later.

Daehyun was now merely a grown man and was the absolute handsome speck of his dad. He had grown up to be a teacher for the blind, even though he was blind himself. Often, he would tell the story of him and YoungJae, and how YoungJae practically saved his life. And each time he told the story, he always got a round of applause afterwards with the same reactions of people being completely astonished.

He had proposed to his high school sweetheart, Yerin and is about to get married in a few months time. For him, life couldn't get any better. Although there is still that empty feeling inside of him.

One day, he had received a phone call.

"Yeoboseyo?" he picked up his phone from his pocket

"Yeoboseyo? Is this Jung Daehyun?"

"Ne, who is speaking?"

"This is Kim Yoona from Moorfields and i'd be delighted to tell you that there is someone out there that would be happy to give an eye donation to you!" she said excitedly

"What? Really?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Oh, wow. This is great. Who is this kind person? What's his name? I want to give him thanks and gratitude"

"His name is uh..YoungJae, sir"

Daehyun lowered the phone a little from his ear. All the memories that he had with him. All 18 years of it, came flooding back to him in a fraction of a second. He stayed silent on the phone for a minute, to take time to endure everything in.

"Y-yeoboseyo? Ahjussi?" the lady on the phone talked, sounding worried

Daehyun immediately snapped out of it and pressed the phone against his ear "Y-yeoboseyo? Sorry. May I ask what's his last name?"

"Hold on a second, sir" he heard sounds of fumbling papers on the other side of the line "it doesn't say his last name, sir" he stopped and thought for a moment, the YoungJae he knew didn't have a last name either "We would like to know if you're fine with going on with the procedure?"

He hesitated for a moment "Tell him; no thank you" he reassured her, denying the offer

"A-are you sure, sir? This is quite a rare yet special offer. Blind people don't normally get eye donors. They're usually once in a life time" she tries to convince him

"I think i'll be fine, don't worry"

"Well, alright then sir. I respect your decision. But if you ever change your mind, call me back on this number."

He wasn't really considering ever calling her back "Alright. Thank you. Goodbye." he hung up

His knees collapsed down to the floor, a lump in his throat was forming and he could feel tears swell up in his eyes.Daehyun touched his forearms with the base of his finger tips, feeling for the scars. He doesn't know it but his scars from the night he cut himself were still there even after 7, long years.They were permanent scars that will always represent that one specific night, yet also reminisce memories of him and YoungJae; his closest friend.

Daehyun took a deep breath in.

 

"Thank you, YoungJae"

 

"I'll be there for you; because I know what it's like to have no one."

 

A/N: Wohoo it's finished :) this took me absolutely ages to write since since it was so long. The ending is pretty sad tho >.< Anyway, comment beloww on your thoughts of the story. Thankyouu..!

By the way, after reading some of your comments below, I see that some of you don't fully understand what happened in the story exactly. Some thought that YoungJae was actually real whilst other's were just confused. I don't know if it was my writing style that made this little conflict happen, but I want to clarify a few things first;

1. YoungJae wasn't real, nor ever was in this story. Since Daehyun is schizophrenic (research it if you don't know the meaning) therefore all the figures that he sees and hears, including YoungJae, is only a figure that his mind creates. No one else can see/hear YoungJae except for him. It's why they consider it a miracle in the story; a blind boy get's guided by a voice that only he can hear, and no one else can.

2. Was that the YoungJae that Daehyun knew who offered him an eye donation at the end? Well, as the author myself, even I don't have a definite answer.

3. Then why did you add that last bit if even you don't know yourself? Well, I merely put that last bit in to create suspense and somewhat of a cliffhanger that will never be answered. I added it in so that the readers will be able to think for themselves if it was YoungJae or not. And I guess it worked because some of you are wondering if it is him or not; others got confused and thought YoungJae actually existed. But he didn't.

And those are the 3 thing's i'd like to clarify. Other than that, I hoped you enjoyed the story :)