Chapter 1: This Is A Problem

Let's Make You Charming

One thing that I don’t understand is love.

What exactly is love?

Is it that feeling of butterflies fluttering within your stomach? I have the feeling when I’m on a rollercoaster or about to dance & sing in front of a large audience. Does that mean I’m in love?

Is it that moment when someone makes you blush? I blush when I’m exposed or embarrassed. Does that mean I’m in love?

Or is it a thing that is indescribable? If so, then how do we know if we are in love? What if there is no such thing as love.  If there is no such thing as love, then what is the purpose of my job? You tell me.

“Minnie, go to my car and get my business cards. I have a client who needs immediate attention.” My friend ordered me. I stood there with my next client’s ordeal letter. An Ordeal Letter is our client’s way of communicating with us. It contains our clients love problems. They give us their problem, we fix it. Not for free of course.

“Me Li I know that you are busy, but so am I! I have just as many clients as you! You need to get your card yourself!” I groaned. Me Li pouted, but went to get it herself. “Aerie is nicer….” She mumbled.  I rolled my eyes and continued to study my client’s problem. This one is difficult.

 

 

Dear Love Angel (Strife),

My girlfriend is acting strange. She has been rejecting my offer of a date lately. She usually is free and she has no job. She says that she is super busy and has loads of work to do at home. My various friends say that they saw her at the club and at the hospital recently. I’m worried. She hasn’t told me the truth. What do you suggest I do? 

-Lee Joon

 

 

I sighed as I sat the letter down. Why do I have this job? Oh right, me and Me Li are broke without it. “Min Ji! I keep getting bets along with my ordeal letters! My locker has hundreds of bets while my P.O. Box has a few ordeal letters. I wish I could just get ordeal letters!” Me Li complained as she re-entered the room.

Yup, that’s right! Our business is run in my dorm room. We are poor students, who work as matchmakers and relationship therapists. “Well, if you didn’t have that gift of luck you wouldn’t be having this problem now, would you?” I said. Me Li looked over her variety of letters. “I wouldn’t do this if these bets weren’t worth something. I make a lot of money betting on various situations.” Me Li said. “But since I’m winning so many bets, people are starting to shun me.” She continued saying, as she flipped through her letters. “Then don’t complain! Your situation isn’t going to get better if you sob about it!” I replied. Even though I’m being harsh, she needs to grow a backbone!

“Now if you’d excuse me, I have to get back to my job.” I mumbled. I began to write down a reply for my client.

 

 

Dear Lee Joon,

You should be worried. If the situation sounds fishy, then there is a possibility that it is. But, communication is key.  If you trust her enough, talk to her and explain your feelings. If she is truly your soul mate, she’ll have no choice but to explain. If she doesn’t explain, then spy on her or break up. I don’t know your girlfriend like you do. So I hope you make the best decision!

-XOXO Love Angel (Strife) <3

 

 

I then sent the letter off to the postal office. Nobody knows that we are the matchmakers. We have our own P.O. Box. It is extremely hard to find it (unless you are us or the staff). This is all thanks to our friend Aerie. She is the ultimate popular girl of my college (Me Li is still in high school). Gorgeous, sweet, and caring is all the qualities to describe her. She is able to hide our identity from others. Without her, we would be stalked and so on.

 

“Well, I’m going home I have something to do. Oh right! Before I forget! One of your letters got mixed in with mine. It’s on my desk! See you later!” Me Li yelled as she slid out of the room. “See You Later!” I called out. Once she was gone, I walked over to her desk. There sat an envelope that was addressed to me. I unfolded the envelope and pulled out the letter.

 

 

Dear Love Angel (Strife),

I’m in love.  I’ve never experienced something as strange as this. Her name is Sung Hee. She has dark silky hair that falls down her lower back. She is absolutely beautiful. She is outgoing, but also shy. Please help me! I’m just an average nerd, who’ll never get her attention.

P.S. Min Ji, this is a fine business that you own.

-Hongbin (your lab partner)

 

 

Holy Crap! How does this guy know my secret?!?!? Does he plan to expose me if I don’t comply? This is not good! I’ll have to make sure that he gets this girl. If not, I’m screwed! I’ll have to start right away!

 

Next Morning…..

 

I stomped throughout the hallways looking for this so-called guy named Hongbin. Is he really my lab partner? I don’t even remember seeing his face. Is that bad?

“Is Hongbin in this class?!” I asked the professor. She quickly nodded and pointed to the back of the classroom. There sat an unnoticeable boy with thick rimmed glasses. He had his face in his book reading quietly. I quickly walked over to his seat. “You, come with me!” I said angrily. He fumbled with his big notebook and quickly stood up. I grabbed his arm and practically dragged him out of the classroom. Once we were outside of the classroom, I slammed his weak body against the wall. “Who in the hell do you think you are?!?!?” I whispered-yelled to him. He looked extremely frightened. “I-I just n-needed y-your help.” He mumbled. I sighed as I continued to trap him between me and the wall. “Listen here pipsqueak; I’m only going to help you get this girl. You better not reveal my true identity or I’ll mince your manhood! You understand me?!?!?” I whispered-yelled in his face. He nodded his head and let out a squeaky “Yes.”. I then noticed a visible blush that covered his face. Maybe he is embarrassed. “Show me the girl.” I said, releasing him from my hold. He straightened up his clothes and headed towards the café.

“Come to my table and sit down.” he spoke. I followed him and sat down. “There she is. She is entering the room now.” He said calmly. There stood a beautiful girl with a petite form, gorgeous commercial-like hair, and the ultimate fashion sense. I looked over Hongbin. He has thick rimmed glasses; a terrible bowl cut hairstyle, horrible fashion sense, and an aura that says ‘Beat me please’. I can’t even tell if he is close to hot.

 “You are way out of her league.” 

“I know that captain obvious.  That why I need your help. I want to appeal attractive to her. Please make me hot.” He begged. I sighed and thought about his problem.

“I don’t think that is possible. Do you actually think looks are all a girl likes? You need to have charm and the ability to woo her. You have to be Mr. Perfect in her eyes. You have to make her want you with just one glance. Those things take time. In your case….” I looked him over again “…a lot of time.”

“But, it’s not impossible. So I need you to make it happen.” He said dangerously close to my face. “Are you going to blackmail me?” I asked. “Only if you don’t make me attractive.” He smirked. I looked closely at his face. He could actually be hot if he has an extreme makeover. “Meet me at the parking lot at 5 o’clock, okay?” I said.

“Yes, Love Angel Strife.” He smiled. When he said it, I realized just how cheesy it sounds.

 

Later That Day At 5 o’clock…..

 

“I’m glad to see you’re here Min Ji-ah.” Hongbin smiled at me. One thing is for sure is that Hongbin has a charming smile. I’ll have to take note of his great features. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world. Now get your in my car.” I said walking to my beat up car.  He chuckled as he entered into my car. “Where are we going?” he asked, fastening his seat belt. “We are going to get your hair done and get you a new wardrobe. I’m paying for it today, but once we get the girl you’ll pay for these expenses.” I said, fixing my rear view mirror. “Trust me when I say I’ll make you look unbelievably-to-die-for y.” I smiled. “I hope that you stay true to your word.” He responded. “No promises.”