♥ - Heart Attack.

Heart Attack

The soft smell of coffee and fresh baked bread filled Baekhyun’s senses as he walked nside the small coffee shop. Different types of pastries of different sizes and colors were proudly displayed on the empty counter. The small man was surprised when a much taller one jumped from below the counter, a set of white pearls shining back at him, short brown hair coming out from his small, cute hat.

“Park Chanyeol! Don’t scare me like that!” said the older one, still alarmed. Chanyeol just smiled back cutely. “Sorry, what can I treat you with today, hyung? The usual?” Baekhyun nodded back and took out his wallet, paying for his latte and blueberry muffin. Sitting down on his usual table at the back of the coffee, next to one of the large windows, Baekhyun took a sip from his latte and took out a notebook from his backpack. Every Friday he comes to this particular coffee shop because it has a good view to the street, as a writer Baekhyun takes inspiration from the people he sees on the street. He has written about many people just by their looks, creating different scenarios for them.

Through the afternoon, he didn’t see people that were any different from the ones he saw every Friday; business men walking to and back from work, secretaries picking up coffees for their bosses and teens joking around and having a good time. Baekhyun forced his brain to work and think of something, but nothing really inspired him. A soft ding knocked him out of his thoughts, and he saw a couple of girls walking in, soft laughter filling the place. Baekhyun’s jaw dropped at one of the two: washed jeans and a floral blouse, cute brown locks framing her small face and dark shades; he could recognize those cheeks anywhere.

Chanyeol’s reaction was about the same as his eyes widened when he saw the girl take her shades off. The tall boy took a fast glance at Baekhyun who still had his mouth open. He signaled at him to shut his mouth, so he did. The two girls ordered their coffees and sat down on the table right in front of Baekhyun’s, who was trying to keep acting as natural as possible. The soft laughter from the girl just made it easier for him to confirm who she was: Jung Sungah, his only love, his ex-girlfriend.

Sungah and Baekhyun had been dating for about five years until she broke it off without any warning, disappearing completely from his life. Baekhyun wasn’t sure why she even left, he simply remembers arriving to their shared apartment and finding a goodbye note. The goodbye was so sudden; he never once sensed they were going wrong. So many questions filled his mind; why she left him, where had she been, was she not really okay with the relationship? Sure, Baekhyun had to travel a lot because he was a writer, but he always made sure to fill her in with anything. Was she tired?

Through the whole afternoon, he had thought of ways to approach her, yet he couldn’t find the right time. His latte and muffin disappeared long ago, anxiety consuming him. He was completely ecstatic seeing her once again, his heart beating loudly in his chest. He was so caught up in his world that he didn’t notice that the other girl had left long ago and Sungah was leaving the coffee shop already. Baekhyun picked up his belongings and rushed out to the streets, finding her already down the street. He ran down the street avoiding all the people, yet the faster he ran, the further she seemed. As he got closer he softly called out for her.

“Jung Sungah!” at the mention of her name she turned around a wide smile gracing her lips, as she saw who was calling her, she could pinpoint that voice anywhere. She called out his name and giggled, running out to him and giving him a quick hug. Baekhyun could swear his heart stopped at that moment, along with his breathing. So long he had waited to finally hold her small frame in his arms, it all seemed like a dream.

“I’ve missed you Sungah, I’ve really missed you” He said, cradling her small face in his hands. Sungah smiled back at him. For once, Baekhyun felt complete again. Just having her here, in front of him made his heart feel peaceful. “I’ve missed you too, Hyunnie. These two years without you have been tough” she said, taking his hands in hers. Baekhyun’s eyes brimmed with tears; he had missed these moments with her so much. He never once forgot about her even though she asked him to in the goodbye note. He took her in his arms as if she would disappear into thin air, like she disappeared two years ago.

“Don’t cry baby, I’m here now” she said, rubbing a soothing hand on his back and on his air.

“Why did you leave me Sungah? I’ve missed you too much” he said, soft sobs spreading through his body.

“I had to Hyunnie, but I’m here now, don’t think about it anymore” she cooed in his ear, letting him cry on her shoulder. She had really missed him as well, but she had to leave him, she didn’t want to be a burden on him. She let go of his hold to remove the tears that were staining his cheeks and pressed a soft kiss to his lips. In that moment, Baekhyun’s mind went blank and his heart stopped for the third time that day, because he had longed for this moment so much. The day he’d hold her once more, and he’d get to feel her soft lips on his. Baekhyun cradled her face once more and deepened the kiss, refusing to let her go. After many nights of hurting and crying, he finally found peace once more.

-♥-

“Baekhyun was a good son, a good friend, a good boyfriend. His smile always lit up anyone’s day and his presence was something you couldn’t miss. Byun Baekhyun was the best friend I could’ve asked for, and I really hope he’s in peace now. After Sungah lost her battle against cancer, the lively boy I knew became a depressed one. Every night, I could hear him screaming in his sleep. Letting her go was too hard for him, he stopped eating, he stopped sleeping, he stopped smiling. As much as I tried to get him to move on, he couldn’t go on without her. Baekhyun went insane, seeing her everywhere. I remember the last night I spent with him, he told me he met up with Sungah and kept saying she was back. A few days later, I found out he died from a heart attack. I guess Baekhyun left to be with Sungah. I really hope he’s in peace now that the pain of an empty bed can’t torment him. Baekhyun, I’ll always miss you”. Chanyeol said, as the black coffin was buried, tears streaming down his face, as well as the faces of the family members there. The tall, lanky man smiled sadly as the coffin was covered.

“I hope you’re okay now, Baekhyun”.