Strangers

Subway

Totally not proofread


 

The subway is crowded and Donghae thanks his lucky star that he gets on at the first stop and manages to get a seat. He hates having to stand up for the half hour it takes to reach home. It’s not rush hour but there are still a lot of people trapped in the confined space and the heat is making him perspire through his white T-shirt. His nostrils are filled with subway dust and his throat feels scratchy from the dry air but this is still better then having to take three different busses to get to his flat.

 

He watches people get on and get off, listens to the sounds of sliding doors and messages in the crackling speaker. He knows he should have bought a book or something to do instead of just sitting there wasting half an hour that he will never get back but he was in such a hurry this morning he completely forgot to bring anything. Five minutes into his journey and the train slows down to come to a halt at the third stop. People push in, barely letting passenger off first, and Donghae hisses under his breath as a man steps on his foot in his hurry to get to the vacant seat next to him. He is about to give the man his best y glare but when he actually sees the mans face his anger dies down again. The blond sitting next to him looks an absolute mess. The bags under his eyes are huge and he is looking ahead with a lifeless stare. It looks to Donghae like he hasn’t slept for days and he has to fight the urge to ask the man why. People are not usually very talkative to strangers they meet on the subway.

 

The doors close and Donghae glances sideways at the blond head that is now swinging together with the movements of the train. The man is rather good looking even with the baggy eyes and Donghae feels especially drawn to his pouty red lips. Realizing his is staring he is quick to look away, reading the notices and adds that are placed around the compartment. He is reading an add for a new soft drink when he feels a weight leaning in to his side and he turns to check why. He almost flinches back when he realizes just how close the man has gotten. He is faced with the side of his head and a stray strand of blond hair brushes against his nose making him inhale a fresh shampoo scent. He can’t help but to close his eyes and take a deep breath and the desire that comes rushing through his body makes him extremely happy that his bag is placed so conveniently on his lap.

 

The man seems to be half asleep and unaware of his current position and as the train once again slows in with a jerking movement his limp body sways dangerously towards an old lady before jolting back to crash into Donghae once more. Seeing as the man doesn’t even open his eyes Donghae is pretty sure that he has fallen asleep and he shifts in his seat to try and push the man back into sitting position without waking him. This proves to be a difficult task as the man just grunts and snuggles back into Donghaes shoulder. Donghae lets him be, and slowly leans back in his seat to get comfortable with the added weight. An man sitting in front of him shows him an amused smile before getting up to exit the train but he pays no mind to it.

 

He knows he should just wake the man up since he has no idea what stop the man gets off on, but he figures that the blond is a grown man who can take full responsibility for making sure he gets to where he's going. At least that’s what Donghae tells himself even though deep down he knows that he is just enjoying the man leaning on him a little too much to shove him off. The minutes pass and the soft rocking of the train is so soothing that Donghae feels himself leaning more towards the man. It should be weird having a stranger sleep on him but instead it feels comfortable. Even though it’s warm and sticky and he is pretty sure he might have some drool on his shoulder, it’s still a nice feeling to be that close to someone.

 

Five minutes before Donghae’s stop a sudden vibration tickles his side and he realizes when the blond jerks awake that it’s a silent alarm. He usually sets his phone too when he is tired, just to make sure he doesn’t miss his stop. The blond manages to turn his alarm off with slow movements and when he puts the phone back into his pocket he seems to suddenly remember where he is and in what position he just woke up. His embarrassed face when he turns towards Donghae is so cute that Donghae wants nothing more then to pinch those red cheeks.

 

‘Oh god, I’m sorry’

 

Donghae swears the strangers voice could drag him into the darkest parts of the ocean and he wouldn’t mind. The man is looking at him with huge eyes glazed with sleep and Donghae decides to have mercy on him.

 

‘It’s ok, you only just fell down so I didn’t have a chance to move you yet’

 

He decides to not tell the man that he’s been napping on a strangers shoulder for fifteen minutes. The blond seems mortified enough as it is.

 

‘Sorry.’ He repeats again and Donghae just gives him a reassuring smile and shakes his head. As the train slows in again, the blond gathers his things and gets up to wait at the sliding doors. Donghae watches him when the doors open and before the blond exits their gazes lock one last time and Donghae is met with a gummy grin that completely transforms the mans face into something utterly beautiful.

 

Five minutes later he skips onto his own platform and makes his way to his flat. Donghae really really loves the subway.